Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Well this test is to see if these lights will bud. So i'm pretty sure, that there's no question what we'll want to use them for. We know already that they're one good veg light !! And SS, to me, the buds look like they're finishing, instead of 5 weeks into bloom. Exactly what happened to me, they started turning colors, and never started again !! Hope i'm wrong, but they look like they're approaching the finish line !! What's the trichs look like ?? Pistils are already like 10 per cent ?? No matter how this comes out, i don't think it could have been done in a more fair way !! :popcorn::goodluck:

I know there's people who followed the grow primarily to see how the lights would veg, so not everyone is/was here to see how they bud.

The next set of trich pics should help us figure out if these plants are doing the same thing yours did.

How are those triches looking SS?

I'll take some trich pics later tonight and post them.

I eyeballed each plant a couple of days ago with a loupe and most trichs were clear with a few cloudy, no amber.

I'll post pics of the plants with the most mature looking trichs.

Your a great diplomat SS. What I find funny is that the light manuf. knowing how their lights perform don't tell you how best to use them. And I wasn't comparing lights but growing methods.
But since I have seen both with the same light I can save you alot of typing!

Manufacturers tend to not provide that kind of info because although it would be extremely helpful, it would reduce their sales to make specific grow-style recommendations.

Most growers are comfortable with one style of grow and aren't going to switch styles to accommodate a new light. As a vendor, you don't want to say something that is going to pigeon-hole your product and exclude possible interested customers. That would be up front, and nice, but not good for business.

Also, I suspect that some manufacturers may simply be ignorant about different grow styles and how to best optimize their product.

Manufacturers tend to not provide that kind of info because although it would be extremely helpful, it would reduce their sales to make specific grow-style recommendations.

Most growers are comfortable with one style of grow and aren't going to switch styles to accommodate a new light. As a vendor, you don't want to say something that is going to pigeon-hole your product and exclude possible interested customers. That would be up front, and nice, but not good for business.

Also, I suspect that some manufacturers may simply be ignorant about different grow styles and how to best optimize their product.

Took the words right out of my mouth Sun!

TRICH CHECK DAY 53

PIC0032.jpg

PIC0051.jpg

PIC0062.jpg

PIC009.jpg

PIC010.jpg

PIC012.jpg

PIC0161.jpg

These are pics from HGL 3 and HSS 4, which have the largest percentage of red pistils in their respective tents.

I also scanned all the plants with my loupe again and none of them looked like they're nearing the end.

I have no idea how much much more the buds will swell, but looks like they still have some time to go.

Did you take these with your new USB scope? Makes it pretty easy to see exactly what's going on ;)

Did you take these with your new USB scope? Makes it pretty easy to see exactly what's going on ;)

I fell back on my trusty Eyeclops for these.

I haven't had much time to play with the new scope and just wanted to use what I'm most familiar with.

The Eyeclops is easy to use, and although the resolution is lower than the new scope, and way lower than my camera, it takes very decent pics for our purposes.

I fell back on my trusty Eyeclops for these.

I haven't had much time to play with the new scope and just wanted to use what I'm most familiar with.

The Eyeclops is easy to use, and although the resolution is lower than the new scope, and way lower than my camera, it takes very decent pics for our purposes.

Amazing shots SS.

Yea,
You're probably right about the ignorance, even when cammie came here with those 1st. couple of attempted grows, i always thought that she should have been keeping a lower, level canopy, instead of the leggy straight up style. And that's why i don't understand why hgl is charging you for the 126, as you're doing their research for them, 3.5 to 4 mos. worth !! Win or lose, I respect hss for giving you the light !!

There is something to be said with partiality when it comes to graft for testing, I personally trust Setting Sun implicitly, but someone new to this site who is a bit wary will wonder if HSS "wins" this subjective test because they gave the light. So there is something to be said for not using "gifts" in tests.

Demo model prices for those lights...they could get more for them on ebay "Light used by Setting Sun in his famous test thread" for the novelty sake. This thread has huge views and not everyone is poor like me. :ganjamon:

Then Setting Sun could take the proceeds and buy himself a nice 1000W setup :Rasta:...did I say that outloud? :cool:

Bravo Setting Sun for the obvious level of impartiality though. Has been as close to truly scientific a small sample can be. I would trust the outcome myself. And I hope it is a good one for SS's sake. :yummy:

:peace: brother.

I tell ya what, I missed the drama with Cammie. I had no idea that she was supplementing her grow with HPS's.

Up until a few weeks in to this journal, I was all over getting an LED.

Thanks to SS, I now know exactly what I want from LED's.....I'm no longer confused on the issue.

I'm getting another 1000watt ballast, hood and light.

I tell ya what, I missed the drama with Cammie. I had no idea that she was supplementing her grow with HPS's.

Up until a few weeks in to this journal, I was all over getting an LED.

Thanks to SS, I now know exactly what I want from LED's.....I'm no longer confused on the issue.

I'm getting another 1000watt ballast, hood and light.

lol I dont doubt that about the supplementing-- to funny. It takes real people like SS and Irish to put the hype through its paces to save the average Joe alot of money that with out being conducted, would be lost to snake oil techniques and tactics .

To this day my blood still gets warm just thinking about the time I spent on hgl.

Hey SS,

I just posted an update in my old journal. My 4 plants have been tracking along with yours, and I think mine look pretty good. Mine are flowering with just the 90W light and are packed together a lot closer then yours. My cabinet is about half your size and has half you light, but I think my 4 plants compare pretty close to yours.

Take a look for yourself, I think you could have grown at least 2 more plants - at least on the HSS side - because of it's wide coverage and only have a very small drop off in yield per plant. I'm sure you would agree that you could have vegged several more plants with the HSS light.

Also, I was really hoping to see much fatter buds with the higher powered HSS light, but it just seems to be keeping up with what I see (maybe). I don't get that, maybe they will keep swelling up, but maybe it's something like the temperature - I have the roots warmed by the lower light.

I'm switching to larger pots and about half perlite - thanks for that, I'll see if I can even improve more....

great closeups SS.

I know you're waiting for 50/50 amber cloudy, but what you see right now is nearing how I like it. 50-60% cloudy, 20-30% clear, 10-20% amber. I like the cerebral effects that way. . . maybe another week to hit that point, so if you're going for 50/50 maybe 2 weeks+??

i wish i could take closeups like that though, they do look really helpful. i've had my eye on a really nice usb microscope for a while now, just need the extra cash first.

Docbud,
Those lies and false claims is what pisses me off the most. If the light is promised to work for 50,000 hours, then why is the warrantee for 1 yr. limited. And let me tell you, that word limited scares the hell out of me. If I see a seller, telling the truth about what these lights can and cannot do, technology (i can't even spell it ) will or may not pan out, but I would buy from the seller, that at least tells the truth. Because i still believe they are great for vegging and early stage of bloom, (1st. 3 or 4 wks.) and saves a ton of electric !! And there's other advantages with leds. But they just can't finish at this time, or finish like we know can be done with hid. And now that we've proved the led tech. is not what it was hipped up to be, please bring the price down to reflect the true value of leds. The chinese will make them cheaper, when we stop paying these ridiculas prices. I would buy a couple of 300 watt leds right now, but not at current prices.

Yikes!
Guy's SS has been as impartial as they come. And some of you are forgetting that this is a contest to see which light performs better. Not whether they can produce bud equal to what anyone with some experience is use too! What I would like to know is if all the work, all the people banned, all the fighting, all the editing, all the wasted money, wasted time, and relationships ruined is worth repeating the same things over and over. LED's we're produced 30 years ago SPECIFICALLY to grow plants. If 10 years ago they weren't doing any better as far as MJ is concerned and 5 yrs ago they were still the same, then I highly doubt that tomorrow or the next day is going to be anything different.
SS and Irish learn quick. Irish is already implementing SS's thoughts. Guess what guys???? The can shove 6 or 10 diodes together, your results are going to be the same. You can grow smaller plants, your buds are going to be smaller.
LED's have a place in the market. If your growing in a confined place where you can't use any other form of light. LED's for you. If you have no growing experience and LED is sold to you. Led's for you. If your ego is the size of King Kong and you think your the one who's going to show the world how you can make LED's work. LED's for you. Have I missed anyone?
Anyways let's let SS finish this COMPARISON BETWEEN TWO LIGHTS!:peacetwo:

Docbud,
Those lies and false claims is what pisses me off the most. If the light is promised to work for 50,000 hours, then why is the warrantee for 1 yr. limited. And let me tell you, that word limited scares the hell out of me. If I see a seller, telling the truth about what these lights can and cannot do, technology (i can't even spell it ) will or may not pan out, but I would buy from the seller, that at least tells the truth. Because i still believe they are great for vegging and early stage of bloom, (1st. 3 or 4 wks.) and saves a ton of electric !! And there's other advantages with leds. But they just can't finish at this time, or finish like we know can be done with hid. And now that we've proved the led tech. is not what it was hipped up to be, please bring the price down to reflect the true value of leds. The chinese will make them cheaper, when we stop paying these ridiculas prices. I would buy a couple of 300 watt leds right now, but not at current prices.

LED's are good for vegging at 10% of their current prices.

Yikes!
Guy's SS has been as impartial as they come. And some of you are forgetting that this is a contest to see which light performs better. Not whether they can produce bud equal to what anyone with some experience is use too! What I would like to know is if all the work, all the people banned, all the fighting, all the editing, all the wasted money, wasted time, and relationships ruined is worth repeating the same things over and over. LED's we're produced 30 years ago SPECIFICALLY to grow plants. If 10 years ago they weren't doing any better as far as MJ is concerned and 5 yrs ago they were still the same, then I highly doubt that tomorrow or the next day is going to be anything different.
SS and Irish learn quick. Irish is already implementing SS's thoughts. Guess what guys???? The can shove 6 or 10 diodes together, your results are going to be the same. You can grow smaller plants, your buds are going to be smaller.
LED's have a place in the market. If your growing in a confined place where you can't use any other form of light. LED's for you. If you have no growing experience and LED is sold to you. Led's for you. If your ego is the size of King Kong and you think your the one who's going to show the world how you can make LED's work. LED's for you. Have I missed anyone?
Anyways let's let SS finish this COMPARISON BETWEEN TWO LIGHTS!:peacetwo:

I hear ya.....I really do.

I'm merely going off what the manufacturer says about their light. You saw the post. HSS claims, based on yield, cycle time, etc. that the light SS is using is comparable to a 600 watt HPS.

I didn't say that.....they did.

Barney's farm says the buds finish in 55-65 days and that they must be staked up, due to size and weight.

I have a living room, with a great big elephant in the middle of the room. It dumps about 30 pounds at a time, right on the carpet, and makes a really loud trumpeting noise.....but no one seems to notice.

They just comment on how nice the coffee table is.

My statements have no bearing whatever on the comparison of the two lights. We shall surely find out which one outperformed the other, etc.

I am merely repeating what the manufacturer and breeder have to say. People are free to draw their own conclusions.

LED's are good for vegging at 10% of their current prices.
I was thinking 40%. For vegging, I swear by those 90 watt leds. But for $100 dollars a pop, not $200 !! They're cooler, and will replace a bunch of cfls and reflectors, all over the place. And cheaper to operate, and damm, they only weigh about 3 lbs.:surf:!! And if we listen to the same people that told all the other lies, then and only then can we say , LAST LONGER .

Back
Top Bottom