Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

So if they almost form buds in 1 week rather than 2 or 3 you are saying that a rapid change from 18/6 or 20/4 to 12/12 makes the buds form quicker than a gradual change to 12/12. Would that not also apply to the nutes. ie Going straight from veg to bloom nutes without a gradual change would also make the buds form quicker.:peace:

I'm a beginner on my 3rd grow and don't know anything, but I switched right off, but just used 1/4 strength. the reason is everybody says not to feed 'em the first few weeks..Well that takes care of veg! Nobody ever addressed that issue...They'd just go straight to flower with no added nitrogen whatever. So I feed 'em veg nutes the last week of veg at 1/4 strength, then maybe another one at 1/2 strength...then go to flower at 1/4, then to 1/2. I may decide not to ever go beyond 1/2 strength. I'm on day 54 from seed and have 1 plant of 4 that's pale and has some rust spots. like potassium deficiency maybe. which makes me wonder if I shouldn't have been even more aggressive with switching to flowering nutes maybe...
6 more are on day 37, day 9 of flower and they're plush green and thriving...last feeding i gave 'em tiger bloom and big bloom at 1/4 strength, this week tb, bb and open sesame., all at 1/2 strength, because these plants are so robust..(they're Seedsman white widow).

So it seems to be working so far...

I'm a beginner on my 3rd grow and don't know anything, but I switched right off, but just used 1/4 strength. the reason is everybody says not to feed 'em the first few weeks..Well that takes care of veg! Nobody ever addressed that issue...They'd just go straight to flower with no added nitrogen whatever. So I feed 'em veg nutes the last week of veg at 1/4 strength, then maybe another one at 1/2 strength...then go to flower at 1/4, then to 1/2. I may decide not to ever go beyond 1/2 strength. I'm on day 54 from seed and have 1 plant of 4 that's pale and has some rust spots. like potassium deficiency maybe. which makes me wonder if I shouldn't have been even more aggressive with switching to flowering nutes maybe...

Even my soil seedlings get 1/4 strength nutes as soon as they show their 1st set of leaves.:thumb::peace:
Have run hydro at 3000ppm in the past with only slight signs of nute burn. It's a waste of nutes though IMO.

my first grow I fed them at the max rate suggested and the biggest plan I had wasn't even 4' tall, and most were small, between 2 and 3 feet. And I burned the crap out of 'em. They had very little leaf left to aid them in the latter stages of flowering. And they weren't potent at all. (Also I think I waited too long to harvest, not knowing at the time how much sativa was in the mix). So I'm a little shy. Also, I have to burn a lot of calories or I bulk up because I eat like a horse. It's not healthy for me and I wonder if it's the same for plants...a lean diet is good for humans! However it'd be sad to know I purposefully underfed them and kept them from their true potential.

6 more are on day 37, day 9 of flower and they're plush green and thriving...last feeding i gave 'em tiger bloom and big bloom at 1/4 strength, this week tb, bb and open sesame., all at 1/2 strength, because these plants are so robust..(they're Seedsman white widow).

So it seems to be working so far...
Breakpoint,
I also have grew the widow, and I always used 100 per cent on recommended FF schedule and i've never had a problem. I also start them on full doseage, at the switch to 12/12. I don't use the grow big, just a little fish fertilizer maybe twice during veg.. But i use 2 tsp of the grow big at about 3 weeks into flowering. I think the average grower does'nt really know the exact amount of ferts neccessary for maximum growth, without useing to much. Shit, we don't even know how many vitamins to take each day !! My bro-in-law says that i'm crazy spending more for FF. He has been using shultzs ferts for 30 yrs., and a damm sure can't argue with his success !! But i really believe most of us believe that more $$ spent, means better and more product, and it may be that we're all wrong !! I hope so the shultz is only $6 a bottle: surf::ganjamon: !!

So if they almost form buds in 1 week rather than 2 or 3 you are saying that a rapid change from 18/6 or 20/4 to 12/12 makes the buds form quicker than a gradual change to 12/12. Would that not also apply to the nutes. ie Going straight from veg to bloom nutes without a gradual change would also make the buds form quicker.:peace:

No groover I have always gone from 24hrs to 12hrs overnight
What I have been rambling about is and keep in mind we're dealing with well water:

- I have a friend who helps some growers out growing the same two strains WW and AMS by GreenHouse
-one place the water tests at .39 EC that's around 280ppm the other at 1.59ec = approx 1100 ppm

- the first place growth is average, you need to top your plants several times to get a larger canopy from each plant, and each plant still allows you to clean up the bottom 1/3 or whatever ... after turning lights to 12/12 (same day) the plants take 12-15 days to form buds

-second place with the outrages (atleast it is to me...lol) reading, the plants shoot out with dozen of branches from the bottom and they look like the top of the Jewish
images1.jpg

and they grow twice as fast!

-after turning lights to 12/12 (same day) the plants take 7-9 days to form buds

Everything else is same, lights, the nutes, quantity 1.6-1.7 ec (on top of water reading) at flowering and 3/4 at veg and 1/2 when starting, and method of growing!
OH and we have always run veg nutes until the plants start forming buds and then switch to bloom with the fortifier!

I of course beeing mr lucky has slow place number 1 but I have verified and seen it all with my own eyes and do have pics. I wish I could post them but I'm not using my computer at the moment. This thing has Vista on it and I have an old camera with no vista drivers....aaarghh bill gates!

Sorry Sun didn't mean to hijack but in 30 yrs of being around MJ I have never seen this before! :peacetwo:
Have you serenaded the girls yet?

I'd take that H2O into the lab and have it tested.

DAY 52 BLOOM

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_57342.JPG

IMG_57411.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5758.JPG

IMG_5760.JPG

Check out the narrow leaves on the sativa pheno above.

IMG_5764.JPG

IMG_57701.JPG

IMG_57741.JPG

IMG_57761.JPG

Bloom seems to be slowly progressing again.

Some of the pistils on the HSS plants are now going orange, about 1-1.5 weeks or so behind the HGL group.

I can't help but wonder how things would be looking with a more horizontal grow.

The plants are very healthy and we're still on-track ;)

Here comes their second wind.
I'm watching closely to see if this mirrors my results.

I think both plants look identically bad. SS I dont mean bad in the sense they look un healthy. The plants look awesome but in the sense both of these lights are producing small flowers. What is your stance on the better light as of now? If you had to use and pick one to be your main light source and you could have multiple units, which would it be?

DAY 52 BLOOM ;)

thanks for this grow SS. ive seen enuff to have my mind made up on both of these lights. i wont speak my mind out of respect for you and 420mag. i just wanted to let you know you did a good thing by doing this side x side and showing others how these lights perform. by the way ur plants look super healty:thumb:

Here comes their second wind.
I'm watching closely to see if this mirrors my results.

Pretty weird.

I haven't seen this stalling thing using HID or CFL.

Thanks for your feedback bro ;).

Probably lots more smaller buds SS but Irish will show us the goods with that type of grow!

He's growing with a 600w LED panel versus the HGL's 126w and the HSS's 180w, so that's apples and oranges as far as penetration and coverage.

I'm looking forward to the results of Irishboy's current LED grow, but I don't think we'll be able to draw too many *direct* comparisons with this one, without accounting for the extra 400+ watts.

I think both plants look identically bad. SS I dont mean bad in the sense they look un healthy. The plants look awesome but in the sense both of these lights are producing small flowers. What is your stance on the better light as of now? If you had to use and pick one to be your main light source and you could have multiple units, which would it be?

For me, that question has a fairly complex answer. Which light is "better" would depend on your needs.

It would depend on whether I was going to use it for both veg and flowering, how many plants I need to veg, how many plants I want to bloom, whether my primary style of grow was going to be vertical or horizontal, etc.

If I was following this grow in order to make that decision, I would just hold off until all the data is in, but that data will only be valid for this style of grow. I don't think I would translate the eventual results to other styles, because it just won't hold up. This grow is just comparing their performance with one grow style, that's all.

As of now, all I can tell you is that I'd favor the HGL on vertically-oriented grows and the HSS on horizontally-oriented grows.

I'm looking forward to discussing and sharing my observations on the pros and cons of each light in different situations and circumstances, but I can't do that comfortably until after the grow. Also, it wouldn't be fair to the manufacturers for me to say I favor one light over the other until the grow is over.

If their was a huge disparity in their performance, or one of them had burned my house down, I'd probably comment on that ;), but that has not been the case.

thanks botanist!

glad you're following ;)

thanks for this grow SS. ive seen enuff to have my mind made up on both of these lights. i wont speak my mind out of respect for you and 420mag. i just wanted to let you know you did a good thing by doing this side x side and showing others how these lights perform. by the way ur plants look super healty:thumb:

I appreciate your comments.

thanks bro ;)

For me, that question has a fairly complex answer. Which light is "better" would depend on your needs.

It would depend on whether I was going to use it for both veg and flowering, how many plants I need to veg, how many plants I want to bloom, whether my primary style of grow was going to be vertical or horizontal, etc.

If I was following this grow in order to make that decision, I would just hold off until all the data is in, but that data will only be valid for this style of grow. I don't think I would translate the eventual results to other styles, because it just won't hold up. This grow is just comparing their performance with one grow style, that's all.

As of now, all I can tell you is that I'd favor the HGL on vertically-oriented grows and the HSS on horizontally-oriented grows.

I'm looking forward to discussing and sharing my observations on the pros and cons of each light in different situations and circumstances, but I can't do that comfortably until after the grow. Also, it wouldn't be fair to the manufacturers for me to say I favor one light over the other until the grow is over.

If their was a huge disparity in their performance, or one of them had burned my house down, I'd probably comment on that ;), but that has not been the case.

thanks botanist!

glad you're following ;)

smart move and answer. wait until the end, or it will only cause trouble

smart move and answer. wait until the end, or it will only cause trouble

true dat, and if someone asks me to recommend one over the other, even after all is said and done, I would have to know the details and intended usage I mention above.

It's not a simple "this one is better" answer, although we will know which one did better on this grow.

true dat, and if someone asks me to recommend one over the other, even after all is said and done, I would have to know the details and intended usage I mention above.

It's not a simple "this one is better" answer, although we will know which one did better on this grow.
Well this test is to see if these lights will bud. So i'm pretty sure, that there's no question what we'll want to use them for. We know already that they're one good veg light !! And SS, to me, the buds look like they're finishing, instead of 5 weeks into bloom. Exactly what happened to me, they started turning colors, and never started again !! Hope i'm wrong, but they look like they're approaching the finish line !! What's the trichs look like ?? Pistils are already like 10 per cent ?? No matter how this comes out, i don't think it could have been done in a more fair way !! :popcorn::goodluck:

Your a great diplomat SS. What I find funny is that the light manuf. knowing how their lights perform don't tell you how best to use them. And I wasn't comparing lights but growing methods.
But since I have seen both with the same light I can save you alot of typing!

Back
Top Bottom