Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

That's where there is no substitute for experience. Thank you for sharing your skills in this journal. I have learned a lot the last couple of months, not just about LEDs, but about growing in general.:bravo:

Nevermind that-

Thanks bros.

Growing, and discussing growing, is a lot of fun, especially with all the great people I've met on this website :thanks::thumb:

Today is six weeks into bloom and I'll take some pics tonight and update.

I did squeeze a couple buds and they seem fairly solid. Kinda hard to tell yet though. They're not airy and I can't see any light through them, but they need to grow out more before I get a better sense of how dense they are.

They're stinking up a storm when I take them out of the tents. Not even a hint of skunk, just this deep earthy musky BO on a hot summer day funk.

Never smelled anything like it, but I can't wait to fire some up.:ganjamon:

You know, I make a lot of "stoner" sounding comments like that, but I need to express that this herb is literally saving my life.

I'm diabetic and I've had surgery on my lower back for ruptured disks. That's a bad combo because I need to exercise in order to control my blood sugar and I have to avoid opiate pain meds. If my back is hurting, which it often is, I can't exercise and my blood sugars are whacked.

Since I started using medical marijuana for my back pain, I've been able to get off opiate pain meds, and drop my weight from 240 to 195 lbs. I was able to lose the weight because I'm now able to exercise without pain, and my diabetes is under better control than it's ever been.

So yeah, I wanted to say that, because my experience has made me a strong believer in the medicinal value of marijuana, and I may make "stoner" comments and joke around, but if it wasn't for this herb, I would not be doing well at all, assuming I was still here to begin with.

OT? maybe for some, not for me ;)

Thanks bros.

Growing, and discussing growing, is a lot of fun, especially with all the great people I've met on this website :thanks::thumb:

Today is six weeks into bloom and I'll take some pics tonight and update.

I did squeeze a couple buds and they seem fairly solid. Kinda hard to tell yet though. They're not airy and I can't see any light through them, but they need to grow out more before I get a better sense of how dense they are.

They're stinking up a storm when I take them out of the tents. Not even a hint of skunk, just this deep earthy musky BO on a hot summer day funk.

Never smelled anything like it, but I can't wait to fire some up.:ganjamon:

You know, I make a lot of "stoner" sounding comments like that, but I need to express that this herb is literally saving my life.

I'm diabetic and I've had surgery on my lower back for ruptured disks. That's a bad combo because I need to exercise in order to control my blood sugar and I have to avoid opiate pain meds. If my back is hurting, which it often is, I can't exercise and my blood sugars are whacked.

Since I started using medical marijuana for my back pain, I've been able to get off opiate pain meds, and drop my weight from 240 to 195 lbs. I was able to lose the weight because I'm now able to exercise without pain, and my diabetes is under better control than it's ever been.

So yeah, I wanted to say that, because my experience has made me a strong believer in the medicinal value of marijuana, and I may make "stoner" comments and joke around, but if it wasn't for this herb, I would not be doing well at all, assuming I was still here to begin with.

OT? maybe for some, not for me ;)

Right there with ya SS. Almost the exact same weight loss and back issues except it's the vertebra between my shoulder blades. Just keep doing what you are doing. Or as they said before I was born, "keep on truckin'!"

Slight side note, I measured the heat output of my 250 MH w/ internal ballast in my 350 cubic foot room for 12 hours. There is no in or out ventilation as I am working toward creating a high CO2 low temp sealed environment. The 250 watt MH raised the temp from 77 to 89. Two days later I got the ambient temp back to exactly 77 and fired up the new LED light that still has 264 functioning 1 watt LED's and 3 functioning 3 watt fans after a slight shipping mishap. That's a total of 273 watts. After 12 hours the temp raised from 77 to 84. Once I got the temp back to 77 and turned both units on to see what it would do. After 12 hours the combination raised the temp from 77 to 95.

350 cubic foot room:
250 watt MH w/ internal ballast raised temp 12 degrees in 12 hours
273 watt LED raised temp 7 degrees in 12 hours
Combined 250w MH and 273 w LED raised temp 18 degrees in 12 hours

Hope this info helps somebody.

Right there with ya SS. Almost the exact same weight loss and back issues except it's the vertebra between my shoulder blades.

I'm glad it's helped you also brother.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Or as they said before I was born, "keep on truckin'!"

The spirit is willing and the flesh tags along as best it can ;).

Slight side note, I measured the heat output of my 250 MH w/ internal ballast in my 350 cubic foot room for 12 hours. There is no in or out ventilation as I am working toward creating a high CO2 low temp sealed environment. The 250 watt MH raised the temp from 77 to 89. Two days later I got the ambient temp back to exactly 77 and fired up the new LED light that still has 264 functioning 1 watt LED's and 3 functioning 3 watt fans after a slight shipping mishap. That's a total of 273 watts. After 12 hours the temp raised from 77 to 84. Once I got the temp back to 77 and turned both units on to see what it would do. After 12 hours the combination raised the temp from 77 to 95.

350 cubic foot room:
250 watt MH w/ internal ballast raised temp 12 degrees in 12 hours
273 watt LED raised temp 7 degrees in 12 hours
Combined 250w MH and 273 w LED raised temp 18 degrees in 12 hours

Hope this info helps somebody.

That's a very significant difference in heat and I'm sure people will find it helpful.

Good idea to crosscheck by running both simultaneously.

thank you Cephas! :thumb:

DAY 42 BLOOM

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5464.JPG

IMG_5471.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

IMG_5480.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5497.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

IMG_5530.JPG

Buds continue to fill out slowly but steadily.

Plants are healthy and doing well.

Some orange pistils now, more in the HGL group at the moment.

I got a new USB microscope on the way for trich checks, and I'll take some pics and post them as soon as it comes.

thanks for following!

*earls aero. . . 420fied as well. rocked out a killer harvest never exceeding 400 ppm RO. damn tootin. but aero may be a better delivery system than others too, so that should be taken into account

I thought they went up to 800ppm?

I can't wait to see the USB scope pictures... I want one! Did you get the "420 scope" or just a regular non cannabrand? ;)

Is it a strain that is known to purple up?

According to the chart and this "new think" I'm getting my head around, there's nothing you can do to speed her up.

If this way of thinking about nutes and uptake is correct, and I suspect it is, then the plant will use what it needs and be done when it's ready to be done.

All this time I thought I was pimpin' and manipulatin', and turns out they were playin' me, lol.
So the bloom boosters don't make bigger buds ?? I really thought the ff cha chang, increased my production, but maybe i just wanted it to work, so I would'nt feel ripped off !! Ha !! :surf:

So the bloom boosters don't make bigger buds ?? I really thought the ff cha chang, increased my production, but maybe i just wanted it to work, so I would'nt feel ripped off !! Ha !! :surf:

The FF soluble trio are nothing more than PK spikes with micronutrients. I think, if using the FF product line, you need to use some sort of micronutrient boost, and probably a PK boost, as the base nutes are designed to incorporate the soluble ones in the feeding schedule.

However, if we just look at plant biology and the science of how plants grow---as opposed to the marketing hype of how "nutes" work---we learn that buds are a result of:

photoperiod
healthy roots
healthy leaves

If those 3 criteria are met, there isn't much that can be done to speed up bud development very much. There may be little tweaks and tricks, but none of them will add up to much if the roots and leaves aren't healthy.

The real question is what the difference in taste is from a plant grown green and another that was allowed to starve in it's last few weeks of life. If the latter produces better quality, so be it.

That was in response as to whether there is anything one can do to *speed up* the harvest.

Bigger buds are possible with good ($) nutrition, but how much bigger than with adequate nutrition, I have no idea.

What kind of difference did the Cha Ching make?

The FF soluble trio are nothing more than PK spikes with micronutrients. I think, if using the FF product line, you need to use some sort of micronutrient boost, and probably a PK boost, as the base nutes are designed to incorporate the soluble ones in the feeding schedule.

However, if we just look at plant biology and the science of how plants grow---as opposed to the marketing hype of how "nutes" work---we learn that buds are a result of:

photoperiod
healthy roots
healthy leaves

If those 3 criteria are met, there isn't much that can be done to speed up bud development very much. There may be little tweaks and tricks, but none of them will add up to much if the roots and leaves aren't healthy.

The real question is what the difference in taste is from a plant grown green and another that was allowed to starve in it's last few weeks of life. If the latter produces better quality, so be it.

Lots of discussion of nutes and different grow strategies going on in doc's current journal.

We're both interested in low-maintenance gardens, but without sacrificing quality or yield.

thanks doc ;)

Not sure which one is the "420 scope", but this is the one:

VMS004DELUXE Veho VMS-004 Deluxe 400x USB Powered Microscope with USB Interface

it's gotten great reviews and the pics are excellent. Cost is very reasonable also.

Here 'tis - Veho USB Microscope VMS-001 from 420 Science

Looks like you ordered the same thing... minus $30 :cheesygrinsmiley:

edit - just looked at it - looks like you got a newer model for $30 less... darn cannacapitalists... ;)

The one I ordered goes up to 400X, and has better resolution also.

The one you linked to is the VMS-001, and the one I ordered is an upgrade to the VMS-004.

Great deal on a what I think is going to be a great scope.

Gladly PG, gladly.

Checking trichs is important, and compared to what most of us spend for nutes and other grow gear, $70 is piss in a bucket to check them Propa ;).

With all the trich checking I'm going to be doing on individual plants, I need something decent to document and show peeps where things are at, and it's going to be very useful for regular grows also.

Looks like the photo gallery is going to be resplendent with pretty trich pics ;).

From a previous note, I've recently read reports that put questions to my use of 'lean' feed rates.
A commercial tomatoe grower said more weight but less flavor with weaker fertigation. Strawberries too; more flavor with higher ec.
I'm going to need more data. :hmmmm:

Really looking great. Thanks SS.

...and, uh, if you're gonna piss in the bucket please don't use it to water the crop. I've heard of growers doing that for the nitrogen, but please don't. That will make me think twice if we ever burn a fat one together. (Say, this bong water tastes funny too :roorrip:)

Back
Top Bottom