Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

That's a very significant difference in heat and I'm sure people will find it helpful.

Good idea to crosscheck by running both simultaneously.

thank you Cephas! :thumb:

So I discovered by accident that running both lamps at the same time without the oscillating fan actually oscillating air raised the temp from 73 to 93. That's a 20 degree increase and 2 degrees hotter than the test run with the oscillating fan actually oscillating.

The fan was blowing air inside the room during all the test. I have no intention of finding out what the LED and MH do by themselves without oscillation. One hermy is enough. I'll just add 2 degrees if anyone ever ask about air oscillation.

I left the MH(12/12) on to help my Brussel Sprout seedlings. I know that's :eek:fftopic: but they are in there because my red potato in the living room garden has gotten gotten twice the size of the Skywalker OG in 4 weeks. This is the only other place I have to put them! Can't wait to get a fan, heat exchanger and a water pump in there.

:peace:

Without a circulation fan going, where you have the temp sensor becomes more critical, so once the plants are out of there, you may want to take some readings with it in different locations and see if they vary.

Sounds like you some tasty veggies goin ;).

From a previous note, I've recently read reports that put questions to my use of 'lean' feed rates.
A commercial tomatoe grower said more weight but less flavor with weaker fertigation. Strawberries too; more flavor with higher ec.
I'm going to need more data. :hmmmm:

I'm surprised there isn't more concrete data on issues like this. Pretty simple question, and I'm sure many experiments have been done with varying the levels of nutes and seeing the results.

I'm pretty sure the info and answers are out there, just not packaged in a tidy little report.

That was in response as to whether there is anything one can do to *speed up* the harvest.

Bigger buds are possible with good ($) nutrition, but how much bigger than with adequate nutrition, I have no idea.

What kind of difference did the Cha Ching make?
The same 4 WW plants, under 600 watts hid , gave me 15 ozs. instead of 12 or 13 ozs., that i had been getting. Seemed to increase bud size, but i'm not sure if it was because i'm learning more, or because of the cha chang !! Maybe next time i'll give two the chi chang, and just the ff trio on the other two !! :surf::thumb:

The same 4 WW plants, under 600 watts hid , gave me 15 ozs. instead of 12 or 13 ozs., that i had been getting. Seemed to increase bud size, but i'm not sure if it was because i'm learning more, or because of the cha chang !! Maybe next time i'll give two the chi chang, and just the ff trio on the other two !! :surf::thumb:

I used Rock Juice....it did a similar thing. Stopped plants from stretching totally too.

Really looking great. Thanks SS.

...and, uh, if you're gonna piss in the bucket please don't use it to water the crop. I've heard of growers doing that for the nitrogen, but please don't. That will make me think twice if we ever burn a fat one together. (Say, this bong water tastes funny too :roorrip:)

you probably don't want to search the grow forums for "urine", lol.

no worries mate ;)

I'm surprised there isn't more concrete data on issues like this. Pretty simple question, and I'm sure many experiments have been done with varying the levels of nutes and seeing the results.

I'm pretty sure the info and answers are out there, just not packaged in a tidy little report.
If I have to write it, I want that "tidy little report".
It can't be wack 'em till they choke you. Can it?
Luxury feeding is anathema to me. I am SUCH a skinny old gator.
If it's more nutes = more trichs; good nutes are dirt cheap. :peace:

It's true that humans excrete excess vitamins and nutrients in their urine, but there are theories that when we are exposed to these excesses over time, our bodies develop the ability to process a bit more than if kept on the lean side.

It's a theory, it may be an insignificant change, and our life cycle is a whole lot longer than MJ's, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that it could work that way also for MJ.

My thoughts are this....the plant may benefit from excess (strain dependent for sure), but one step over the line and 1 day, you will have undone all the benefit of extra nutes and are now fighting for the plants life....seems counter intuitive to me. Just enough is what I am striving for. Gonna learn to read the babies and their needs and learn from what they tell me, problem is it will change with every nute, every different soil and every different additive and get this each season even indoors varies............SIGH:ganjamon:

So many variables, I am just gonna play it safe and maybe loose a few grams but I don't think my potency is down....you will see when I get the camera. My thoughts still continue to be the same...healthly roots and leaves and LARGE QUANTITY of both = high sustainable growth = plants pointed to the light = trichomes...until I see different. I think I have the advantage of a low humidity climate though so I may or may not be cheating living in Colorado..ask BE IRIE. :thumb:

I always wonder if I am screwing up following old school logic and let my nitrogen bleed out of my girls in the last couple weeks though. I heard this was for taste. Not sure, I am gonna re-evaluate letting my girls feast on themselves in the last few weeks...Lilbit is arrayed in fall color's like my last grow...she is such a contrast sitting next to the other two deep lush green plants. I think she is pretty but if I am screwing up I would like to know...to be honest I am interested in quantity and quality, but flavor isn't a selling factor for me.

:peace: brother

Got the USB scope and have played with it a little.

The software's clunky and they hid the zoom function under a tab called "face tracking" for some dumb reason, but once I figured things out, it seems to work well and is much easier to focus than my Eyeclops scope.

You can't zoom in any resolution higher than 640X480, but the image quality is good, and several resolutions and magnification levels are fine for scanning trichs.

I'm sure my trich pichs will improve once I become more familiar with it.

4_Medium.jpg

8196.jpg

5307.jpg

All of the trichs are clear, but you have to set the leaf on edge a little to see that. If you look at them straight on, they look cloudy.

I wanted to wait a few days before the next pic update because sometimes that can help with getting a sense of bud progress.

Also, Mrs. Sun's sisters are here and I'm trying to be sociable ;). Actually, as hard as it is for this curmudgeon to admit, it's been rather a pleasure to have them ;).

Setting Sun = Didactic humanitarian, horticultural mentor, wizard of weed, professor of pot, minister of marijuana, dean of dank, a leader of LED'ers and an all around jolly good fellow.

I'm learning more about this craft in this thread than I have in almost a year of online research elsewhere.

Staying tuned for the harvest. Hip-Hip Hooray for Setting Sun.

:bravo::welldone::thumb::adore::headbanger::ciao:

I think I have the advantage of a low humidity climate though so I may or may not be cheating living in Colorado..ask BE IRIE. :thumb:

MH, you wouldn't happen to know what your high/low humidity in CO is would you? I'm about 800ft elevation inland from the ocean and my humidity has been 18% to 38% for the past month.

Sun if you read this, do you know what your high/low humidity has been as well?

Setting Sun = Didactic humanitarian, horticultural mentor, wizard of weed, professor of pot, minister of marijuana, dean of dank, a leader of LED'ers and an all around jolly good fellow.

I'm learning more about this craft in this thread than I have in almost a year of online research elsewhere.

:bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

wow, thanks bros,

I've learned a lot also and it's been a pleasure ;)

:thanks:

I love the trichome shots, seeeeeeeee LED's can make trichomes...you guys were worried!!!! :ganjamon:

Being a bit shaky trying to check mine with a 30x loupe makes it challenging to say the least.

:peace: brother and thanks again for maintaining your objectivity when surrounded by those trying to push you one way or the other!

MH, you wouldn't happen to know what your high/low humidity in CO is would you? I'm about 800ft elevation inland from the ocean and my humidity has been 18% to 38% for the past month.

Sun if you read this, do you know what your high/low humidity has been as well?

I believe that pretty much represents my range bro. :peace:

Got the USB scope and have played with it a little.

The software's clunky and they hid the zoom function under a tab called "face tracking" for some dumb reason, but once I figured things out, it seems to work well and is much easier to focus than my Eyeclops scope.

You can't zoom in any resolution higher than 640X480, but the image quality is good, and several resolutions and magnification levels are fine for scanning trichs.

I'm sure my trich pichs will improve once I become more familiar with it.

4_Medium.jpg

8196.jpg

5307.jpg

All of the trichs are clear, but you have to set the leaf on edge a little to see that. If you look at them straight on, they look cloudy.

I wanted to wait a few days before the next pic update because sometimes that can help with getting a sense of bud progress.

Also, Mrs. Sun's sisters are here and I'm trying to be sociable ;). Actually, as hard as it is for this curmudgeon to admit, it's been rather a pleasure to have them ;).

Beauty "face tracking"...That's hilarious! What else do you do other then zoom with a scope anyways? ...LOL

I guess you can also use the thing as a web cam, so they package it with the same software as their dedicated web cams, but it makes learning to use the scope's basic functions more difficult than it needs to be.

In any case, :welcome: ledtester!

Back
Top Bottom