Growing A Legend: An Auto Tribute To Jack Herer

That solo cup is buried yes? Or is that whole plant growing in that cup?

Looks great Van ! Someone tell me what is the deal with the solo cups i thought that start them then cut the rim out for ID but now i am wondering if i am wrong (again) :confused:

So when I planted mine, I was concerned that the soil mix I had would be too nutritious for the little seedling, so I put a more mild mix into the solo cup, and then cut the bottom of the cup off so that it would grow into the mild soil, and then root down into the rest of the more nutritious soil as it got older.

Well, somewhere along the line, I decided to put it outside, and I wanted to see if it would get much bigger if I put it into the ground outside of a pot, but it really wasn't doing much rooting left so it stayed the same size. I could probably cut the cup off, but I've just left it for now.

Hey, anyone here smart with small engines? I have a little honda mini-tiller I'm trying to get running. The lady I'm borrowing it from says it's been sitting with the same gas in it for years no so I'm pretty sure that's all that's wrong with it, but it doesn't seem gummed up so I'm wondering do I need to clean the tank out with any kind of solvent or something, or can I just dump the gas for fresh and be good to go? Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Had to replace the primer bulb, and the spark plug looks good. Needs some more/different oil, but I don't see why that would have kept it from starting. Her husband is the type to leave cans of gas around for a while, and I think he uses stabilizer, so I don't know why it would be bad gas, so just wanting some more ideas before I put some fresh stuff in tomorrow in case it doesn't start up.

June is a much later start than I wanted on my outdoor garden, but whatever, that's the way things go.

So when I planted mine, I was concerned that the soil mix I had would be too nutritious for the little seedling, so I put a more mild mix into the solo cup, and then cut the bottom of the cup off so that it would grow into the mild soil, and then root down into the rest of the more nutritious soil as it got older.

Well, somewhere along the line, I decided to put it outside, and I wanted to see if it would get much bigger if I put it into the ground outside of a pot, but it really wasn't doing much rooting left so it stayed the same size. I could probably cut the cup off, but I've just left it for now.

Hey, anyone here smart with small engines? I have a little honda mini-tiller I'm trying to get running. The lady I'm borrowing it from says it's been sitting with the same gas in it for years no so I'm pretty sure that's all that's wrong with it, but it doesn't seem gummed up so I'm wondering do I need to clean the tank out with any kind of solvent or something, or can I just dump the gas for fresh and be good to go? Guess I'll find out tomorrow. Had to replace the primer bulb, and the spark plug looks good. Needs some more/different oil, but I don't see why that would have kept it from starting. Her husband is the type to leave cans of gas around for a while, and I think he uses stabilizer, so I don't know why it would be bad gas, so just wanting some more ideas before I put some fresh stuff in tomorrow in case it doesn't start up.

June is a much later start than I wanted on my outdoor garden, but whatever, that's the way things go.
Clean the tank with a product called Sea Foam it just soaks, then drain & rinse with fuel. Check fuel lines for cracks. Drain carbeurator, replace/clean air filter and spark plug. Should get her going...

-P:ganjamon:

Fert i would do as preston said and see what happens if it runs out the prime and wont stay running get you a carburetor for it , it is easier to replace than to rebuild . Even stabilized fuel has a limit get some fresh , is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke ? ( does it need mixed fuel)
Yeah... I fear the new carb/carb clean will be necessary if it was cranked over with that old fuel in the float bowl of the carburetor. That stuff will get pretty grimy after sitting too long. Trying to crank it over with that stuff in there just sucks it right into those tiny fuel jets, clogging them. I've seen old fuel in a carburetor that was thick as honey before... Wish I lived closer, I could knock out a carb clean in 20 min on that thing. Dang!
-P

Yeah... I fear the new carb/carb clean will be necessary if it was cranked over with that old fuel in the float bowl of the carburetor. That stuff will get pretty grimy after sitting too long. Trying to crank it over with that stuff in there just sucks it right into those tiny fuel jets, clogging them. I've seen old fuel in a carburetor that was thick as honey before... Wish I lived closer, I could knock out a carb clean in 20 min on that thing. Dang!
-P
Yikes, let's hope it's just stale gas. But ditto on wishing you were nearer to help out lol

I pulled out the little fuel filter, and it doesn't feel gummy, but I'm gonna replace that since the kit I got the primer bulb with came with fuel line, a new filter, and some kind of weird wire with a pull-ring that I still haven't surmised the purpose of yet.

Fert i would do as preston said and see what happens if it runs out the prime and wont stay running get you a carburetor for it , it is easier to replace than to rebuild . Even stabilized fuel has a limit get some fresh , is it 2 stroke or 4 stroke ? ( does it need mixed fuel)

It's a little Honda FG100 4 stroke.

Clean the tank with a product called Sea Foam it just soaks, then drain & rinse with fuel. Check fuel lines for cracks. Drain carbeurator, replace/clean air filter and spark plug. Should get her going...

-P:ganjamon:

Sweet, was hoping I wouldn't need something fancy, all I have is isopropyl alcohol but I didn't trust mixing that with fuel. Spark plugs seem cheap enough that it'd be better to just buy a new one than clean this one?

Also get a new plug , a good one, no champion ones, get ngk great for small engines

It's an Autolite, must have been replaced because it's supposed to be an NGK according to the manual. So far I haven't found any NGKs on the shelves.

Thanks guys, gonna go try to get this carb off and dump the old fuel out.

Yikes, let's hope it's just stale gas. But ditto on wishing you were nearer to help out lol

I pulled out the little fuel filter, and it doesn't feel gummy, but I'm gonna replace that since the kit I got the primer bulb with came with fuel line, a new filter, and some kind of weird wire with a pull-ring that I still haven't surmised the purpose of yet.

Sweet, was hoping I wouldn't need something fancy, all I have is isopropyl alcohol but I didn't trust mixing that with fuel. Spark plugs seem cheap enough that it'd be better to just buy a new one than clean this one?

It's an Autolite, must have been replaced because it's supposed to be an NGK according to the manual. So far I haven't found any NGKs on the shelves.

Check the bottom of the float bowl for a drain plug. Might save you the time taking the carb off completely.

Myself I would try pouring a little gas down the spark plug hole. It will fire up. Also just a thought you changed the primer ball are u sure it’s Plummed properly if you are sucking from the carb instead of the tank it won’t run.

Check the bottom of the float bowl for a drain plug. Might save you the time taking the carb off completely.

Oh this one is a very tiny little carburetor, a "diaphragm" type. Found a couple of rebuild videos on Utube University lol

Seems like I can either try to rebuild it for $15, buy an aftermarket carb whole for $15, or take it apart and clean the jet out with some guitar string, and hope the rubber parts aren't dry/brittle.

Myself I would try pouring a little gas down the spark plug hole. It will fire up. Also just a thought you changed the primer ball are u sure it’s Plummed properly if you are sucking from the carb instead of the tank it won’t run.

It seems to be, the return line is clear, and I can see gas going from the carb back down to the tank, is that right? Also, I'm assuming you mean like just a little bit of gas to get vapors in there to spark right?

Should I try starting it with fresh gas and a clean tank first at least?

Thanks guys. Turning into a bit more of a little project than hand-tilling probably would have been, but this lady I borrowed it from has done a lot for me, so giving her back a running tiller would be cool. Not to mention having access to a light-weight tiller for the next season.

Myself would drain tank. And new fuel.
Remove spark plug add fuel to spark plug hole. I usually use a straw and dip it in tank. Then put my finger over the end and gas stays in the straw. If you do that two times or so. Put spark plug back in. And fire it up. You might have to repeat the process a couple times to get the gas all the way up to carb to run on it’s own.

Myself would drain tank. And new fuel.
Remove spark plug add fuel to spark plug hole. I usually use a straw and dip it in tank. Then put my finger over the end and gas stays in the straw. If you do that two times or so. Put spark plug back in. And fire it up. You might have to repeat the process a couple times to get the gas all the way up to carb to run on it’s own.

Okay, just gave it a try, not sure if not enough gas went in ( a couple teaspoons ) or if plug is bad, but I'm gonna go grab a new plug and try it again.

*crosses fingers*

Okay, just gave it a try, not sure if not enough gas went in ( a couple teaspoons ) or if plug is bad, but I'm gonna go grab a new plug and try it again.

*crosses fingers*
I assumed you had already checked for spark. If you haven’t done that you need to.
Rest the little hook on the electrode of spark plug against head bolt. Gently pull recoil and watch for spark. If you have spark it should run if not add a little more gas. But you should hear it try and fire up even if not enough gas.

I'm not a big fan of the "gas down the hole" method. Solvents on top of a piston wash all the oil off the inside of the cylinder walls. Causing it to "dry start".. may not fuck it up once or twice, but it sure isn't good for the engine. 4 stroke engines don't have that oil in the fuel like 2 stroke. I'd just mist some starter fluid around the air intake right before trying to start it.

I'm not a big fan of the "gas down the hole" method. Solvents on top of a piston wash all the oil off the inside of the cylinder walls. Causing it to "dry start".. may not fuck it up once or twice, but it sure isn't good for the engine. 4 stroke engines don't have that oil in the fuel like 2 stroke. I'd just mist some starter fluid around the air intake right before trying to start it.
And I am the opposite either will kill a gas engine quick. Everyone has there preference. The only thing I use either for is seating tires back on the rim lol.

Well I have spark, but still no luck with the gas down the hole method, guessing I flooded it?

The pull string kinda caught hold a little more stiffly on a couple pulls, but that could have just been my arm getting tired.
Idk that always works for me. If it is flooded just keep spark plug out and pull it over vigorously. Then try and start it again.

Back
Top Bottom