Should I expect this to slow down as the soil gets drier and drier each day?
I love your scientific methods to figure this out... keep doing what you are doing. You will find that as the roots continue to get stronger and as they begin to spread out laterally in that container, that both the watering frequency and the amount of water they use per day, will go up, not slow down.

I love your scientific methods to figure this out... keep doing what you are doing. You will find that as the roots continue to get stronger and as they begin to spread out laterally in that container, that both the watering frequency and the amount of water they use per day, will go up, not slow down.

My last grow consisted of 1 litre a day of water once they went into the final pot. This was final and it never changed. So after speaking to you and actually seeing my roots from the last grow I realise just how bad this was for them, it frustrates me the plants could have done so much better. While watering has gone from 5 mins a day, it’s now around 20-30 minutes every few days, if it’s helps the plants grow Im happy to be spending more time doing it.

I’m actually trying to find a system which can enable me to use moisture measures which have sensors running the whole length, rather than just the end. I’d like to plug 1 into each plant and then connect it to some type of interface/controller to see where water levels are on each plant.

Thank you for your response and your reassurance, after causing a problem I find it’s easy to imagine I’m still doing it wrong,, but glad to hear otherwise.

have you seen my tutorial on how much water soil can hold? I know you now know the weights... but have you seen the visual as to how much water that really is?

Wow, I’m shocked at how much water really does sit in a cup while also being filled with soil, I wouldn’t have expected it to be half full to be honest.

Would you expect this to be the same in a much larger container. For example, your cup appears to be around 500ml and you filled it with 320ml of water, which is just shy of 2/3rds of the cup. I have a 20 litre fabric pots. If it followed suit that’d mean they could theoretically take 13.3 litres of water, maybe just under and would only be 10% run off. Is this something you tested out to see if it yielded the same result?

Yes, totally dry soil will (depends on the soil) usually take about 2/3 of the volume of the container the first time and then once made moist, will only take about 30% to produce runoff. It is just as interesting to realize how much water will remain suspended in the organics as the soil "dries" out, and just what that difference is between truly devoid of all water, and what we consider dry enough to water.

Yes, totally dry soil will (depends on the soil) usually take about 2/3 of the volume of the container the first time and then once made moist, will only take about 30% to produce runoff. It is just as interesting to realize how much water will remain suspended in the organics as the soil "dries" out, and just what that difference is between truly devoid of all water, and what we consider dry enough to water.

Yes I did think different soils would be different. When you first started helping with my overwatering issue and I read your guide, I was shocked to see around 2 inches at the bottom simply won’t dry up. I would have thought the bottom would dry as well. All of this really has shown me it’s not so simple with soil. I really did think it was just a daily water done the job.

have you seen my tutorial on how much water soil can hold? I know you now know the weights... but have you seen the visual as to how much water that really is?

Following along this journal closely, lots of learning.
Where is this tutorial on how much water soil can hold?

Heres everything from emilya mate very handy to have indeed!

Everything good with yours? I haven’t seen an update in a little while.

Hi Kimber they're doing good just topped them today at the third node. Will probably up pot them to 7 gallon fabric pots on the weekend and start LST after they recover. IMG_20200108_140213.jpg

How are these recovering? Did you up pot them?

Hi Kimber I don't think they even missed a beat from me topping them. I repotted in 7 gallon fabric pots yesterday here is a couple of pictures from a few minutes ago before lights on. Yours look like they're coming along nicely. What type of light are you using when you take your photos hard to get a real good look at them. Almost looks like you have an HPS on.
IMG_20200112_125828.jpgIMG_20200112_125802.jpg

Hi Kimber I don't think they even missed a beat from me topping them. I repotted in 7 gallon fabric pots yesterday here is a couple of pictures from a few minutes ago before lights on. Yours look like they're coming along nicely. What type of light are you using when you take your photos hard to get a real good look at them. Almost looks like you have an HPS on.

Yeah I agree, yours seem to have taken that topping in stride. Colour looks great with them.

Yeah mine seem a lot happier now in the fabric pots, they’ve been in them a week and growth seems to be doing well. I have left the hps on while taking photos because the colours look good on the plants, if I have any issues with yellowing I’ll take the plant out the tent and try and get some natural light photos, but when it’s just a standard update I don’t bother.

21 days from planting.

Plants are coming along well, still have 2 which aren’t quite as perky as the rest but they are growing well and give or take 10ml they’ve gone through the same amount of water as the biggest plant.

I had thought I’d be doing a top watering today but after avoiding buying an ec tester I decided to order one for delivery tomorrow. I do test my PH and run it between 5.8 and 6.8. I let it go up and down between waterings. But because I’m following the Dutch pro chart it does show my A & B nutrients should be between 200-300ml for every 100litre with an ec of 1.8, without knowing my ec I’ve been varying between the 2 numbers. With all the other checks I’m doing I thought this was just stupid not to be checking this too. So they’ll get a top watering tomorrow.

Plants drunk exactly 250ml of water each, this is getting me closer and closer towards my dry weight of 5500g, they currently weight 6140. I do know they’ll never hit that dry weight, I’m just trying to get an idea of what weight they’ll hit. I’m checking the bottom leaves for drooping to ensure they aren’t yet at the dry point.

I do have a couple plants with some of the tips of leaves pointing down, not severely, just slightly, you may be able to see this on some of the photos. I haven’t seen any yellowing on any of the tips, if I do I’ll get some white light photos to ensure this can be seen.

7 days from being repotted. Below is from when I first repotted 1 week ago to what they look like now.
55F10812-D080-4DCB-AEA2-4272C52F3C20.jpeg
E3FC2674-5386-4016-9FD4-2A4109A0C047.jpeg
CA4139E6-FAAC-41DD-917A-77B5A0E08C56.jpeg
EBDF83F2-1A38-4B5B-8C2F-0A2B67945507.jpeg

Attachments

• E40519B7-E29A-402A-B445-322AEBDC3D5D.jpeg
    E40519B7-E29A-402A-B445-322AEBDC3D5D.jpeg
    981.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 914AEAC8-37E7-4B7D-9A6C-E7F4805647ED.jpeg
    914AEAC8-37E7-4B7D-9A6C-E7F4805647ED.jpeg
    1,016 KB · Views: 32
  • 932C8DB4-DC90-463F-9AD2-5AFC5F37DE07.jpeg
    932C8DB4-DC90-463F-9AD2-5AFC5F37DE07.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • E6D6B7C6-E5F8-45E2-98F2-8C170E804192.jpeg
    E6D6B7C6-E5F8-45E2-98F2-8C170E804192.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 0FCA754B-7BF3-42C9-8E66-05E55077262E.jpeg
    0FCA754B-7BF3-42C9-8E66-05E55077262E.jpeg
    1,000.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 7E33DA05-7FEC-4108-A505-9DE7E287B8EA.jpeg
    7E33DA05-7FEC-4108-A505-9DE7E287B8EA.jpeg
    971.1 KB · Views: 28

How long was it before you really started to see the growth tips from the 3rd node start to grow out? The one plant I topped and plan to mainline appears to be doing well from its topping yesterday, but other than maybe 1cm growth on them tips it hasn’t done much more.

I could tell the next day there was new growth. Sometimes topping will slow them for a day or two. I find if I wait till the smallest plant has 5 nodes some larger plants might have 6. Then I will top them all to the 3rd node the recovery time is minimal opposed to topping them earlier.

I could tell the next day there was new growth. Sometimes topping will slow them for a day or two. I find if I wait till the smallest plant has 5 nodes some larger plants might have 6. Then I will top them all to the 3rd node the recovery time is minimal opposed to topping them earlier.

Ok, thats exactly how I’ve done mine too, 6th node was just appearing. Maybe I’m just expecting a little too much.

Are you not seeing new growth after topping when Did you top?

I topped yesterday. Around 24 hours ago.

The bottom picture is from today.
964587BD-12D8-4EFE-BEB3-A1FD8B7EEAB0.jpeg
EDE4B174-F2CA-4019-BC1C-257DAAB3DD67.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom