I see the signs of overwatering still... I saw some pictures with good lift a while back... but that extreme drooping on several plants at once in the room tells me that the bottom roots are in trouble and that it is something in common with all of the plants. This last picture with the clawing and the deep deep green says she has been getting too many nutes, and because excess Nitrogen can cause a lockout of potassium and copper the damage being seen down low is from the K lockout and the light coloring starting in the new growth tips and edges appears to be the start of a copper deficiency.

I’m shocked to hear that. It’s the first time they’ve drooped since being watered 5 days ago, they actually haven’t been watered since. They are now close to being the same dry weight as a pot of soil which has never been watered. What am I actually looking for with overwatering? I thought it would almost bring growth to a halt. Mine are growing 1-2 inch a day.

The nutrients have been lowered. I measured my EC of the normal nutrients I was previously giving and it was around 2.6-2.7. I’ve now got this down to 1.8, should I do something else about this?

I’ve attached a photo of the plants a day after they were watered last. They appeared to look fantastic, I guess I thought if I watered too early they would’ve look bad.
9F676F29-6394-49F0-93D9-0EEB58F9D623.jpeg

Sorry, but not being a hydro person I have absolutely no idea what the EC numbers mean. As far as the droop goes, maybe you are trying to get them too dry, while the roots are still struggling a bit. At least give them a little water every 3 days or so until they sort things out. Lets talk nutes a sec... are you alternating nutes/water/nutes/water or are you feeding every time?

I checked yesterday the top soil and it was moist within an inch from the top so I avoided giving any. I would have given a top soil watering today, but because I think they’ll be dry enough tomorrow for a full watering I didn’t bother. How do I know how much water to give for a top soil watering? Last time I did it I gave 500ml.

Yes, Well I think I’m anternating. I never give nutrients when I do top soil watering. But because the length between full waterings has been so long, I’ve given nutrients each time I’ve done a full watering.

Last time I did it I gave 500ml.
That may be too much for just a top spreader roots watering, and the extra may be falling down to contribute to the water table that is taking so long to be used up. Try only 250ml... this is not meant to water the plant thoroughly, it is just to get the plant by until it IS time to water.

I thought you might say that. After I gave it I thought it was too much, it was one of the reasons I then waited 4 more days to do the full watering.

I’ll check my weights today. This is how I’m doing it.

Dry pot weight is 5500
After watering around 10000-11000
Before watering 5800-6200.

The pictures from yesterday, they all weigh between 6200-7200, so they are all pretty close to being within the weight I water at.

If I don’t do a full watering today I’ll do a 250ml top watering.

Hey Kimber from the pics you have posted It looks like your pots are sitting directly on top of the drain trays. You should have some sort of a spacer or riser in between them like MackMurder suggested. It will help in drying out the bottoms by getting more airflow. like MackMurder suggested.

Not sure if you already have these didnt see any in your pics so figured I'd mention it.
If you have a local hydroponic store you'll find these way cheaper than amazon.
I used them my first grow using fabric pots. Really helps get them up off the ground and allows air flow and through the bottom not just the sides. Screenshot_20200117-171114_Chrome.jpg

Hey Kimber from the pics you have posted It looks like your pots are sitting directly on top of the drain trays. You should have some sort of a spacer or riser in between them like MackMurder suggested. It will help in drying out the bottoms by getting more airflow. like MackMurder suggested.

I do have some little feet, but they aren’t big enough. They aren’t raising it enough. Will go to shop tomorrow and get something for under it, waste of money the little feet were.

Once I get them in I’ll take some photos.

If anyone had an amazon link for something suitable for UK, feel free to send it over.

I think even with little feet, once pots have stopped any water dripping then remove the trays and just set them on the little feet. They are still elevated even if its an inch or 1/2 inch....i think as long as they are not sitting on a solid flat surface then there will be airflow.

I think even with little feet, once pots have stopped any water dripping then remove the trays and just set them on the little feet. They are still elevated even if its an inch or 1/2 inch....i think as long as they are not sitting on a solid flat surface then there will be airflow.

Yeah I have got the little feet under them still, even though they suck im still using them. I do my watering outside the tent on each plant. I let it drip for a couple minutes then set it back on the tray with the little feet. If it continues to drip into the tray I then empty the tray after half hour or so.

Day 29,

While I thought I got over the over watering issue I managed to fall back into the hole. While I was desperate to water, especially when they drooped a little I held off as it was explained it was an overwatering droop, rather than a wither.

Tonight the plants are finally withering, probably the first time they ever have to be honest. Before the wither they went to droopy, back to looking good, then to withering. I just added that in case anyone experiences something similar so they know what to expect.

I’ll be doing a full watering, with half nutrients just to be a little careful while the plants are recovering from all of this. Growth has continued quite well considering these issues, silver lining I guess.

I’ll get back to my constant updates and photos again soon. I’ve added a couple photos just to show how they look now, before watering. I hope it’s the last time these plants see such sad days.
01876ED3-C8AA-4D9C-BCEC-BAA523F3B9A6.jpeg
D03EA01B-E8F3-4D4F-8F89-FABDEBB13170.jpeg

Day 29,

While I thought I got over the over watering issue I managed to fall back into the hole. While I was desperate to water, especially when they drooped a little I held off as it was explained it was an overwatering droop, rather than a wither.

Tonight the plants are finally withering, probably the first time they ever have to be honest. Before the wither they went to droopy, back to looking good, then to withering. I just added that in case anyone experiences something similar so they know what to expect.

I’ll be doing a full watering, with half nutrients just to be a little careful while the plants are recovering from all of this. Growth has continued quite well considering these issues, silver lining I guess.

I’ll get back to my constant updates and photos again soon. I’ve added a couple photos just to show how they look now, before watering. I hope it’s the last time these plants see such sad days.
01876ED3-C8AA-4D9C-BCEC-BAA523F3B9A6.jpeg
D03EA01B-E8F3-4D4F-8F89-FABDEBB13170.jpeg

Depending on the time you check on them they may be preparing to sleep or already sleeping, dont mistake this for them needing water. My one plant i swear is awake for 8-10 hrs and sleeping the rest. Couple times i wanted to water because they were completely limp but next day i would check again at a different time and all perked back. I work 8-5, i check in the morning before heading out, then again when im back(because im obessive) and sometimes they are limp sometimes not, so this tells me the internal clocks for when they are sleeping or awake is not consistent. I believe this is strain related as well. My light schedule is currently 18/6, sometimes when its still 4-5 hours till lights off they are already sleeping.

Pictures showing sleep vs awake...same plant, taken within 8 hours

Attachments

• 20200117_070734.jpg
    20200117_070734.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200116_174254.jpg
    20200116_174254.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
I work 8-5, i check in the morning before heading out, then again when im back(because im obessive) and sometimes they are limp sometimes not,

Great visual, 780. I also work full time and check when I leave for work, get home, before I go to bed... I never thought about it but yeah I guess I am obsessive too. :rofl:

Great visual, 780. I also work full time and check when I leave for work, get home, before I go to bed... I never thought about it but yeah I guess I am obsessive too. :rofl:
My gf is making a thing now because i go to the basement and check so damn often...not just the plants but clean up the space, vacuum, mostly temperature and humidity checks but she thinks im just looking at the plant each time seeing if they'll grown...haha...we are not obsessed, just committed!

Depending on the time you check on them they may be preparing to sleep or already sleeping, dont mistake this for them needing water. My one plant i swear is awake for 8-10 hrs and sleeping the rest. Couple times i wanted to water because they were completely limp but next day i would check again at a different time and all perked back. I work 8-5, i check in the morning before heading out, then again when im back(because im obessive) and sometimes they are limp sometimes not, so this tells me the internal clocks for when they are sleeping or awake is not consistent. I believe this is strain related as well. My light schedule is currently 18/6, sometimes when its still 4-5 hours till lights off they are already sleeping.

Pictures showing sleep vs awake...same plant, taken within 8 hours

I experienced this with my last grow. Mainly a couple of hours before lights off. But now due to below freezing temperatures I’m running my lights at night rather than through the day.

The lights go off at 2pm and on at 8pm. I get home about 9pm and check often at that time.

At 9pm when I check them I do notice they just aren’t quite as perky which is an hour after lights come back on. At 6am they usually look fantastic. Because of this I didn’t water until I saw them in the morning, and while they attempted to perk up a bit, they still looked almost the same as in the pictures. Plus I’m weighing the plants almost daily and can now see when they are almost out of water, this matched up with the look of the plants.

I do notice though, after watering the plants will look great for 2-3 days solid and will not droop no matter the time. I think my lack of top watering due to being worried of over watering may be causing this droop at certain times. I only ever experienced this through the flower stretch last time, and I assumed the plants were just tired from the extreme growth they carry out during this time.

I’m the exact same. I’ve checked 3 times tonight since I’ve been home, and I watered before work at 5 am.

Come weekends, on a lazy Sunday I spend way too much time with them. Typical though, the wet dry cycle never falls on a Sunday, the day I have the most time.

For the last few days, I’ve been sitting at 18c, around 65f with the lights on, and around 19c 66f with lights off. I vent my hot air out the room when lights are on, and due to suction in the room and the need for a quiet room, the door is fully sealed. So the window always has to be open slightly to allow enough air in the room. This is ruining my temperature.

Even if I run my heating, the room just can’t warm up because I vent the hot air outside of the room, if I vent it back into the room, the temperature will shoot up to 40c pretty quickly, which doesn’t help either.

Will this likely be affecting my plants. Is it something I can let them survive?

This could be leading a little towards your over watering issue. Without the temps being their the water isnt evaporating off. And the plants wont be perspiring as much hense there not using up the water as quick.

You ideally wanna be around the 22-24 lights on and no lower than 18 lights off. Saying that.... you can go hire especially when using CO2 enhancers I believe you need to run at around 30°c for that kinda thing. I wouldn't worry about hitting 25-26 just in flower you gotta bring it down otherwise you will get inter nodal stretching like crazy!

I'd honestly open the door to the room to allow the rest of the air to come in from the house. It will also help with the CO2 levels in the tent. If its noise that's the issue I have some tricks up my sleeve for silencing things a tad.

I agree with auto. At the very least, you have identified something that can be improved upon. Do you have a fan in your tent? When mine was running hotter even just circulating the air around seemed to lower the average temp and keep the plants happier. Just thinking out loud. This would help if you didn't vent out of the room and maybe if you have flexibility with the door at all.

Edit: I see you fan disregard. But I think dialing your temps in will help you out. Just a matter of how now.

This could be leading a little towards your over watering issue. Without the temps being their the water isnt evaporating off. And the plants wont be perspiring as much hense there not using up the water as quick.

You ideally wanna be around the 22-24 lights on and no lower than 18 lights off. Saying that.... you can go hire especially when using CO2 enhancers I believe you need to run at around 30°c for that kinda thing. I wouldn't worry about hitting 25-26 just in flower you gotta bring it down otherwise you will get inter nodal stretching like crazy!

I'd honestly open the door to the room to allow the rest of the air to come in from the house. It will also help with the CO2 levels in the tent. If its noise that's the issue I have some tricks up my sleeve for silencing things a tad.

I got to say it did cross my mind. Before this freezing weather I usually sit at around 23-25 in the tent with light on, somewhere around 18-21 with lights off. Now I’m struggling to hit 20 with lights on.

Yeah maybe I’ll just open the door, it’ll resolve my problems immediately with cold air. Just a pain as the fans will be heard within the house once the door is open.

Yeah, post up your ideas on the thread or just pop them in a message.

My current ways of silencing the tent is:

Extract fan connected to filter to reduce noise, plus it’s in the tent.
Inlet fan is wrapped up in blankets and sound proof foam, but does still make a fair bit of noise.

Ideas I have thought of to help with temp is to get a fan controller. Lowering the speed on both the inlet and extract would higher the temperature and lower the noise of the fan. This seems my best idea, just couldn’t decide on what controller to get.

Can you think of anything else I could do?

Back
Top Bottom