First Grow Ever - Humboldt Dream 2024

Waiting until I see some amber before I start chopping the big gals. I smoke for the relief not the high so I'm gonna let it age until the cbd and cbn replaces some of the thc.
Yes, THC degrades to CBN over time. CBD doesn't, so if you've got a 1:1 variety (chemotype 2), then the effect becomes more like a straight CBD flower.

I'm a bit of an expert on CBD and high-CBD strains (type 3). I also vape for the medicinal effects. What I do is combine a high THC with a high CBD in the grinder. That way you can dial in however much CBD you like, and it has a definite moderating effect on the THC psychoactivity.

Humboldt Dream is a high-THC type 1 cannabis, with very low CBD. In comparison, my CBD #9 pheno runs about 10% CBD. It's supposed to be under 1% THC, but the last grow in 10 gal (photos above) makes me think it went over 1% some! I also grow Sweet Critical CBD which tested out around 15% CBD. There are strains even higher in CBD from the Crawford brothers in Oregon (Oregon CBD), and also East Fork Cultivars in Oregon.

Yes, THC degrades to CBN over time. CBD doesn't, so if you've got a 1:1 variety (chemotype 2), then the effect becomes more like a straight CBD flower.

I'm a bit of an expert on CBD and high-CBD strains (type 3). I also vape for the medicinal effects. What I do is combine a high THC with a high CBD in the grinder. That way you can dial in however much CBD you like, and it has a definite moderating effect on the THC psychoactivity.

Humboldt Dream is a high-THC type 1 cannabis, with very low CBD. In comparison, my CBD #9 pheno runs about 10% CBD. It's supposed to be under 1% THC, but the last grow in 10 gal (photos above) makes me think it went over 1% some! I also grow Sweet Critical CBD which tested out around 15% CBD. There are strains even higher in CBD from the Crawford brothers in Oregon (Oregon CBD), and also East Fork Cultivars in Oregon.
What would you recommend the perfect time to chop is then I was planning on harvesting at 33% amber.

That’s a matter of preference, which for me tends to be around 30% range for sativa dominants or even close to 50% for indica dominants. Only way to know is take samples along the way…

What would you recommend the perfect time to chop is then I was planning on harvesting at 33% amber.
In my outdoor grow here in Hawaii, bud rot (botrytis) is a major factor as to when to harvest. It can destroy your whole harvest very easily. If you know there's no risk of bud rot, you can let the buds completely ripen, and it's completely a matter of preference as to how much amber you'd like to have. The milky/cloudy trichomes are said to have a more stimulating and less stony effect, whereas the amber ones have a more heavy/intense effect. I personally tend toward the milky. If I'm growing a strain/pheno that's highly bud rot resistant, I'll go for more amber. If not, then I'll try to wait for the appearance of some amber, and keep a close eye out for bud rot.

Another general factor is senesence. In late flower, depending on the grow method and environment, the plant is ending its lifecycle and necrosis may start to appear—i.e. dead stigmas (normal), dead bracts, dead sugar leaves. While dead stigmas are expected and somewhat of an indicator of ripeness, dead bracts and sugar leaves can be troublesome for a good harvest and good trim. If there's a lot of this going on, I call that premature senescence, meaning that senesence is setting in before the flowers are ready to harvest. This can happen if pot size is too small (root zone issues) and/or general lack of nutrients/water.

In my outdoor grow here in Hawaii, bud rot (botrytis) is a major factor as to when to harvest. It can destroy your whole harvest very easily. If you know there's no risk of bud rot, you can let the buds completely ripen, and it's completely a matter of preference as to how much amber you'd like to have. The milky/cloudy trichomes are said to have a more stimulating and less stony effect, whereas the amber ones have a more heavy/intense effect. I personally tend toward the milky. If I'm growing a strain/pheno that's highly bud rot resistant, I'll go for more amber. If not, then I'll try to wait for the appearance of some amber, and keep a close eye out for bud rot.

Another general factor is senesence. In late flower, depending on the grow method and environment, the plant is ending its lifecycle and necrosis may start to appear—i.e. dead stigmas (normal), dead bracts, dead sugar leaves. While dead stigmas are expected and somewhat of an indicator of ripeness, dead bracts and sugar leaves can be troublesome for a good harvest and good trim. If there's a lot of this going on, I call that premature senescence, meaning that senesence is setting in before the flowers are ready to harvest. This can happen if pot size is too small (root zone issues) and/or general lack of nutrients/water.
Way more in depth than my input but agree 1000% , great advise

Back
Top Bottom