Duggan Does Gorilla's - Double Berry's In Doc's Gear - Four Plants - One Kit

Still need the fans I have one going now but will need the four 6" for the corners. Yes I need lots of electrical help... getting kind of worried about that with adding the fans and exhaust. Would really appreciate some advice on that issue of electrical. Especially when I add the lights. Soil I'm going to do tonight if I hear back from you if not I'll wait until I hear from you in the morning. I bought the kit yesterday..Doc said in the email he's out of town about a week. send it right when he gets back..

Don't mean to horn in but I thought I would add a few things I do
to help relieve some of my Worry when I am away

I use one of these Killa-Watt Meters on each socket and make sure
it’s the only outlet drawing power from that Breaker. I only allow 80%
of the rated Amps for a safety margin, If that circuit is using a 12 AMP Breaker
I will only run 8 Amp’s Max on that outlet.

Another thing I use are those Wireless remote On / Off electronic
type switches set up to my Lights, The remote is always on so if
for some reason there is a power outage and comes back on without
me being there I know my Lights CAN NOT start until I re-push the
wireless remote, I don’t want my lights on in the event my other
environment systems do not start, Like the fans or cooling systems.
Also saves me if the power starts and stops a few times, Don't want
my lights restarting over and over in a short time.

meter8.jpg

For your set up, i recommend two 15 Amp circuits. The window AC unit will eat up most of one , so you will need another dedicated one for all your circ. fans, exhaust fan and lights. It's OK , you have lots of room to do it safely , but you need at least one 'dedicated circuit for everything , NOT counting the AC unit ,..it HAS to be on another circuit OK. How do you supply the GH with power now Dickie? Lemmy guess, you have an extension cord running out from the house,...? Your gonna have to make that proper...and a priority. One cord from the house will NOT be good enough. it's a bad idea. We will have to work on that? cheers ...signing off for the night...gotta watch some of the game before crashing,...youngest is in a hockey tourney , second game is early tomorrow morning...night , night.:)

It's a extension cord but from a GFi outlet that's outside next to GH. Please tell me there's an inexpensive way to do this...

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Don't mean to horn in but I thought I would add a few things I do
to help relieve some of my Worry when I am away

I use one of these Killa-Watt Meters on each socket and make sure
it’s the only outlet drawing power from that Breaker. I only allow 80%
of the rated Amps for a safety margin, If that circuit is using a 12 AMP Breaker
I will only run 8 Amp’s Max on that outlet.

Another thing I use are those Wireless remote On / Off electronic
type switches set up to my Lights, The remote is always on so if
for some reason there is a power outage and comes back on without
me being there I know my Lights CAN NOT start until I re-push the
wireless remote, I don’t want my lights on in the event my other
environment systems do not start, Like the fans or cooling systems.
Also saves me if the power starts and stops a few times, Don't want
my lights restarting over and over in a short time.

meter8.jpg

Gazzoo, no such thing as a 12 Amp breaker!:)

Hi Duggan, I'm a licensed electrician too, but only a measly 26 years. I knew there was something I liked about you..lol

In all seriousness, you are a kind and patient person, that's for sure! Must be all the EMF's you've been exposed to.

He Dickie, Duggan is right, an extension cord will not cut it. Just for reference, I needed to run three 20 amp circuits, with 12/2 Romex wire from my breaker panel to my room to handle the lights, exhaust, dehumidifier, and future AC. I have a lot of extra capacity built in for the future.

Here is a pic of my main exhaust fan and charcoal filter (#33) mounted on the ceiling like Duggan suggested. If you look closely I have the fan suspended on scrap bungee cord to kill the vibration that I could hear upstairs when I had it screwed directly in...might not be a problem for you though. The flange is screwed to the filter. Then I support the filter with two eye hooks and poly window weight cord, you use just about anything. This makes it easy for me to install by myself, and swap out the filter when necessary without removing the fan from the ceiling. This whole setup is on a thermostatically controlled relay (switch) that turns it on when my threshold high temp is exceeded.

Don't fret my friend, all this stuff can seem overwhelming. Soon you will see they are just a bunch of achievable steps, that will challenge your mind and ability to solve problems. You and I are amongst some of the most friendly, helpful master problem solvers!

420-magazine-mobile1637637129.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1113958897.jpg

Best regards,
DL

Morning Duggan! How are things in your neck of the woods? Tell Mare we said good morning also! Got any plant pics? Lol!

Have a hoot of some of our KK!

:passitleft:

Yes, thanks woman...:passitleft: it's raining here, looks like an all day thing, very grey, depressing. Son lost his first game this morning...BAHH, only one ref. showed up,...she missed a goal, was 'in' she didn't see it! How pissed was i about that.....son missed an open net,...shot it wide...gasp! couldn't believe it, was the tying goal,..on his stick...i think it bothered me more than him..:wood:...:tokin: Get this though....game was at 8:00, supposed to be there 45 min's. before,....i was, one of the first at the arena, son is with his mother this weekend....guess what time they showed up......8:00...we/they were 'on the ice' warming up when they finally showed. Not cool...was NOT cool! No sorry or frig all from the X about it...she said her alarm failed....Bahhh, sell that to someone down the street, i didn't buy it. Wow , way off topic ...whoops. Anyhow , another game this afternoon. Mare's boy is in the same tourney...lots of different arena's today. Have a great day Canna , Nis and friends.
:circle-of-love:
Oh ya ....a few plant pics ....just cuz we can , eh Canna....:thumb:
These are just random , somethin to look at .
mixing_first_run_002.jpg
mixing_first_run_003.jpg
mixing_first_run_004.jpg
mixing_first_run_006.jpg
mixing_first_run_007.jpg
mixing_first_run_008.jpg
mixing_first_run_009.jpg
Kosher_Kush_in_the_26ers_004.jpg
Kosher_Kush_in_the_26ers_006.jpg
Kosher_Kush_in_the_26ers_007.jpg
harvest_mazar_009.jpg
harvest_mazar_005.jpg
random_pics_009.jpg
random_pics_011.jpg
triplets_004.jpg
Hurry_up_pics_010.jpg
Hurry_up_pics_008.jpg
Desfrans_after_grid_004.jpg
Pretty_close_eh_003.jpg
Pretty_close_eh_006.jpg
Pretty_close_eh_012.jpg
Pretty_close_eh_0091.jpg
Cheers gang!:Namaste:

Hi Duggan, I'm a licensed electrician too, but only a measly 26 years. I knew there was something I liked about you..lol

In all seriousness, you are a kind and patient person, that's for sure! Must be all the EMF's you've been exposed to.

He Dickie, Duggan is right, an extension cord will not cut it. Just for reference, I needed to run three 20 amp circuits, with 12/2 Romex wire from my breaker panel to my room to handle the lights, exhaust, dehumidifier, and future AC. I have a lot of extra capacity built in for the future.

Here is a pic of my main exhaust fan and charcoal filter (#33) mounted on the ceiling like Duggan suggested. If you look closely I have the fan suspended on scrap bungee cord to kill the vibration that I could hear upstairs when I had it screwed directly in...might not be a problem for you though. The flange is screwed to the filter. Then I support the filter with two eye hooks and poly window weight cord, you use just about anything. This makes it easy for me to install by myself, and swap out the filter when necessary without removing the fan from the ceiling. This whole setup is on a thermostatically controlled relay (switch) that turns it on when my threshold high temp is exceeded.

Don't fret my friend, all this stuff can seem overwhelming. Soon you will see they are just a bunch of achievable steps, that will challenge your mind and ability to solve problems. You and I are amongst some of the most friendly, helpful master problem solvers!

420-magazine-mobile1637637129.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1113958897.jpg

Best regards,
DL

How bout that DL...cool to know. Ya you took a lot of power to your GR. Funny though , cuz as soon as i moved in to this house...i ran a split to my/the future GR :) Ya with Dickies there ,..if he could manage to get a 'fresh' split out there , that would be lots for him. Trouble is , he's not good with electrical ...what to do,..i'm too far away to do it for him. Would love to help him . He's running a cord out there now....not good . It's on a GFCI too,..i don't like that either. He needs a 14 or 12/3 run out there somehow from his panel....Dickie , we gotta find out if any one of the gang is close to you ...that would rock! We'll figure something out!:)
Oh DL wanted to mention something , you said about your exhaust fan/filter coming on with a 'temp up' signal.....what if the temps stay below that trigger point....they won't come on at all? I run mine 24/7/365, mainly to clean and exchange the air. I also have been telling everyone to put them on a speed controller and run it at between 70-80% max. No lower , no higher. We , you and me have to keep pushing that. It makes a huge difference, not only in the performance , but it/they last way longer and run much quieter than if growers leave them blasting away at 100%, when it's NOT needed. I have found a grower who was running them at 50% , and he/she was told right away to turn it up to at least 70% as to not cook the start winding. It's a 'win, win' situation when we run our fan/filters at that slightly reduced speed. I think most growers around this neighborhood have heard my 'cries' about this , but every now and then i gotta put it 'out there'. Anyhow DL, yes i like how you mounted yours...taking care to reduce noise,...clever..cheers. What i did was to mount it upright and sit it on a pc. of soft foam and insulate the short pc. of duct it has. It's right below my side door , and when i come in, i can't hear it ...:) Ok, thanks for your post DL...cheers.:Namaste:

OK...electrical question. Stab lok breakers by Federal Pacific. I have a houseful I read bad things about them. What are my options here for safe growing.

Those breakers are perfectly fine....that's what i have . NEVER had an issue, never fixed or repaired anything to do with 'bad' FPE Stablock breakers. They are OK! Do NOT worry!

Hey Mouser, take a look at my electrical service/panel. It's only a 60Amp service:) When i moved in i ripped out all the fuse boxes and crap and installed a 40 circuit FPE 'load center'. Never blown a main 60 amp fuse in 17 years in this house. Tripped one breaker, once , only once, and that was my fault. One of the two pole 15 A breakers in here feeds my GR:) Cheers gang.
panel_001.jpg
panel_002.jpg
panel_003.jpg

Thanks Duggs...I read scary stories about them and recently reset the 15a breaker on a washer I was servicing and blew the 100a main. Got a bit squirelly

(not at my place, but another stab loc set up)

I had to go down and Look, but you are right, its been a while since I set this up.
Brain Fart :) they are 15 Amp but I still only run them at 8 Amps Max

Yes, totally up to you. I like to keep mine (15Amp circuits) at around 10, no more. If they ( 15 A circuits) are wired properly and safely they can easily handle 13-13.5 all day , no problems, but if something like a bad cord or a loose connection develops problems can start.:(
Cheers Gazoo, hopefully a lot of people will see these past few posts about this stuff.:high-five:

Thanks Duggs...I read scary stories about them and recently reset the 15a breaker on a washer I was servicing and blew the 100a main. Got a bit squirelly

(not at my place, but another stab loc set up)

Ya, there is nothing wrong with them...other factors must have been 'in place' for a 'main' to trip like that. been working with those panels and breakers for a long time (30+yrs.) and not once have i seen or repaired any damage from them failing. Not to say it didn't or can't happen ...i got LOTS of stories about breakers and things. Cheers and have a great /safe day !:)

Good catch Duggan, so observant! That's a problem I'm working on currently. I run co2, so I don't want to run it 24/7, but I do want to run it during lights off, to exchange the air at "night". I need to wire up a timer override in to the temp switch to do this...more bench work.

I've changed out alot of FP panels due to new homebuyers insurance companies requiring it. They claimed there were some cases of breakers failing to interrupt a short and causing a fire. I've seen a lot of breakers fail and burn up from many manufacturers, but almost all of them were due to moisture getting into the panel. More times than not, the seal at the hub of the meter socket was compromised, rain leaked in, wicked through the SE cable, and dripped right on to the breakers for years. I work for a Power Company, and go on a lot of trouble calls. A few months ago I had a call, big 200 amp GE panel caught fire. The main shorted out from this very problem. I could see the rust staining on all the breakers, what an awful smell those breakers make when they burn...yuck

Keep the cables sealed well outside where they enter the meter socket and house and the panels and breakers will last a long time.

Oh and I did buy a speed reduction for my exhaust, because I read it in a post a few months ago by you!

Thanks Bud

DL

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Good catch Duggan, so observant! That's a problem I'm working on currently. I run co2, so I don't want to run it 24/7, but I do want to run it during lights off, to exchange the air at "night". I need to wire up a timer override in to the temp switch to do this...more bench work.

I've changed out alot of FP panels due to new homebuyers insurance companies requiring it. They claimed there were some cases of breakers failing to interrupt a short and causing a fire. I've seen a lot of breakers fail and burn up from many manufacturers, but almost all of them were due to moisture getting into the panel. More times than not, the seal at the hub of the meter socket was compromised, rain leaked in, wicked through the SE cable, and dripped right on to the breakers for years. I work for a Power Company, and go on a lot of trouble calls. A few months ago I had a call, big 200 amp GE panel caught fire. The main shorted out from this very problem. I could see the rust staining on all the breakers, what an awful smell those breakers make when they burn...yuck

Keep the cables sealed well outside where they enter the meter socket and house and the panels and breakers will last a long time.

Oh and I did buy a speed reduction for my exhaust, because I read it in a post a few months ago by you!

Thanks Bud

DL

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine

Good to have you around DL, i like your style and attitude.:high-five:

A very good Sunday mornin to ya's all. Lost the semi final,son got one of the two goals, so he was happy about that...me too:)...boys are done for the year, except the 'end of year' party. Got him signed up for a four on four spring league ,...just to keep him on the ice once a week.
Oh ya , my plants...very boring grow...nothing to do, really, just watch , give a drink now and then , a spray , now and then....almost maintenance free....it's called the 'Kit'. This soil is run #2 of 3 , cuz that's as far as i take my 'Kit' soil. Others go way beyond 3 runs with great success but after 3 it gets a little more tricky . Still, with being able to re-amend and re-cook to re-use , it just makes so much sense to use this method. No pumps, no water, no PH'ing, no bugs, no guess work, and NO worries,...like i said , a boring grow...:surf:
Thank you Doc Bud!:thanks:....:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom