Duggan Does Gorilla's - Double Berry's In Doc's Gear - Four Plants - One Kit

Good morning Duggan,

Your soil to water ratio is 5 to 1 (25 uh, em...I mean 26 gal soil to 5 gal water). If I have 15 gal pots ( and let's pretend I filled them to the top with soil...:oops: should I be using 3 gals of water each time I water? Half top feed, the rest in the tray?

Have a salubrious day!

DL

Good morning DL,...I dunno bud...I don't do the bottom water thing...never have. All mine goes down the top , just like 'mother nature'. I know from experience these pots can hold about 6 gal's. of water when full of soil before becoming saturated , so I like to put 5 gal's. in every time. 3 Gal's. does sound just about right though for a 15 gal. pot.:)

Good morning Duggan,

Your soil to water ratio is 5 to 1 (25 uh, em...I mean 26 gal soil to 5 gal water). If I have 15 gal pots ( and let's pretend I filled them to the top with soil...:oops: should I be using 3 gals of water each time I water? Half top feed, the rest in the tray?

Have a salubrious day!

DL

If you're using cloth pots, water until the soil isnt sucking it up any more. Wait a half hour and if there's still water in the tray, dump it out and take note of the difference. Ive never used ratios or any scientific bs like that. The amount of water the soil is capable of using will differ as the plant gets bigger and the rootball grows :)

That's about the same ratio I end up with - about a fifth - about a gallon in 6 gallons, typically, for me. :Namaste:

I'm curious - how long does it take to soak your pots? How much do you pour in at a time?

I'm curious - how long does it take to soak your pots? How much do you pour in at a time?

Gray, ya know, i'm a little surprised i don't get more Q's. like this one. Back pot gets two gal's.....front pot gets two gal's.
Back pot gets another two gal's....front pot gets another two
Back pot gets last gal.....front pot gets last gal.
It all takes about 20 min's. When i empty pots, roots are well developed throughout entire soil mass.:)
Cheers Gray, and gang!:high-five:

Yup, same same here. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Mine get a quart at a time, pot to pot, two quarts drench/ one quart Tea, then topped off with plain water as needed.

If you're using cloth pots, water until the soil isnt sucking it up any more. Wait a half hour and if there's still water in the tray, dump it out and take note of the difference. Ive never used ratios or any scientific bs like that. The amount of water the soil is capable of using will differs as the plant gets bigger and the rootball grows :)

Thanks Cannatard!

That's how I was doing it during veg, in the cloth pots.

On these ones I'm in plastic 15 gal pots so I was trying not to lift and dunk them each watering during flower. I read somewhere Doc pours half on top, the other half in the saucer to create that water table effect the roots reach for. I started seeing this common ratio between water and the amount of soil in the journals, and figured I should note that.:idea:

DL

I put 1gal in my 5gal potted plant and 2gals in my 15gal plant, seems to do the trick. Big girl drinks 2gal's every 4-5 days and the 5gal drinks the 1gal every 4-5 days also. I just started the bottom watering in flowering, and my plants are looking the best I've had I think. I'm also in 2nd run soil, though, and I've gotten way better with the kit since I started :p

Thanks Cannatard!

That's how I was doing it during veg, in the cloth pots.

On these ones I'm in plastic 15 gal pots so I was trying not to lift and dunk them each watering during flower. I read somewhere Doc pours half on top, the other half in the saucer to create that water table effect the roots reach for. I started seeing this common ratio between water and the amount of soil in the journals, and figured I should note that.:idea:

DL
My saucers aren't super deep, maybe 2 inches and I just fill them to the brim twice and then I dump the rest of the water down the top. My plants suck the saucer water up preeeetty quickly.

Evenin gang! Girls got a misting (bottom -up) of Brix w/ Wayx10. The front one is looking very promising, as far as yield , she is quite wide.
The one on the right ,..at the back is a diff. pheno, and is a bit, just a bit lighter green. She is the taller one back there.
Have a great night everyone.
DB_s_moving_along_002.jpg
DB_s_moving_along_003.jpg
DB_s_moving_along_004.jpg
DB_s_moving_along_005.jpg
DB_s_moving_along_001.jpg

Lookin stellar Duggs!

As duggan has proved, bottom watering is not required with the kit........but it does help with less soil compaction. Make sure you get your "dribble" on, when top watering.

Make it a great day ev1

Looking Great Duggan!

Mornin DL...cheers bud, have a great day would ya!

Lookin stellar Duggs!

As duggan has proved, bottom watering is not required with the kit........but it does help with less soil compaction. Make sure you get your "dribble" on, when top watering.

Make it a great day ev1

Yes, Budley, thanks for that bud. I have never bottom watered . Always down the top , just like 'mother nature',..never had an issue with dry spots in my pots and always have very well developed 'root balls'. Bottom watering is a good teaching tool as it does teach about saturation and soil water uptake and such. I feel it's important when watering to give the soil 'a chance' to absorb it fully and more slowly. Gray and i were just talkin a lil of this . When watering it's a good idea to give the water over a few min's. and not just dump it all down the top at once,...give it a lil time , then add some more ,..then some more , got it! Anyhow , thanks for bringing this up Budley. Cheers to ya my good friend!

those things are monsters, bud.

The 'Boogs'....Nahh, it's just a small space...:tokin:...Well , the front one is getting big , really filling out well. This is where all this good soil comes into play, very important...to me anyhow. I like to see the branches , all get strong as bamboo, and the entire canopy gets to thrive with all the dirt and ...light, of course. This is a very fun time, these next couple/three weeks. Average size to smaller pots , with plants this big , usually show signs of "running out of gas" at this stage,....not these pots w/ this DBHBB soil in them.:slide:..My goal is for the 'fans' to remain as green as possible , for as long as possible. This will/has been , a good indication of the 'Brix' levels and overall health near finish. The healthier i can keep them , the closer they will be to achieving their 'ceiling'.
This doesn't mean that yellowing 'fans' are bad , some strains just 'drop' them regardless of health and vigor. When we look at Doc's plants close to harvest , they are still very healthy and very 'green'. High Brix...:high-five:

We should all , make it our goal to keep them as 'green' for as long as possible, even in late 'bloom'.
OK, ok, i'm gonna say this again.....i know, i know, but all you growers out there using smaller pots.....go big...! have more fun!:thumb:
GC_s_in_turbo_mode_013.jpg
GC_s_in_turbo_mode_0091.jpg
GC_s_in_turbo_mode_0101.jpg
Sax_guy_w_GC_s_004.jpg
A few Green Crack pics growing in 26 gal. 'Rootbuilder' pots....filled right to the top (loosely).

I think I put this in the wrong thread so I'm re-posting it again sorry Duggan....

I could continue to use as greenhouse and would rather, I just luv the free sun but have major heat issues with these next months coming. I live in Palm springs California with our climate its really tuff to stay cool. These past two weeks the weather changed to 90-95 degrees. gone down to about 80-85 since Sunday but next month I will have days in the 100's. Not worried about neighbors its pretty well secluded on the side of my house. I have the fans and timers.. still need the lights and wish I had more money(LOL). I believe I can control the environment with the window A/C. right now I have 4 newbies just planted from seed and the greenhouse stays 76-78 with a controller. I grow in pots not the ground. The greenhouse has a 12"x12"concrete paver floor. Yah I have a budget of around $800 but I can go a lil over if need be. I Have some pics if you need to see the confusing set up I have. I also have some pics of a grow I started in November and harvested the last week of February which I did under the sun. I also washed my plants for the first time and man that was something I will always do. These pics will only be from my second harvest ever which was this last Febuary 2017.

Back
Top Bottom