Dresney's First Grow - Organic - Indoor - GDP - Trainwreck

I'd go for the Monster cropped plants anytime Dres :cheesygrinsmiley:

Me too... double buds.... can't beat that! :high-five:

Ooh, Pascalle 2.0 AKA 0.0.1 is lookin' pretty cool!

Thanks! She was my first successful clone. I'm still figuring out how she likes to be fed. I now know that I can't treat her like a seedling... she got a little hungry in the beginning, and now she's thirsty all the time. Clones are tricky :hmmmm:

Okay, so my plans for the day...

I'm going to plant the last two bubbler clones. They both have some small roots, and I can see where more are going to pop out of the stem soon. They're both starting to yellow a bit, so they need to be fed. They've been in the cloner for three weeks now. I don't want to starve them, so they're getting new homes and they'll be given a light feed.

For the big girls.....

Today is day 21 of 12/12. I think they're finished stretching... they didn't really stretch that much, as they were old and large before they were flipped. My girls have been left to go au naturale so far, and now I'm really considering some defoliation. I'm not too sure where to start or how much to take off. I figure I'll just remove fan leaves covering bud sites. I don't want to stunt them. Here are my questions.

Do I go from the bottom up or top down?

How much is a good amount to take off?

Should I cut the stem of the fan leaf near the main stalk or should I pluck it off?
Should I leave a bit of the stem on or remove as much as possible?

Pascalle still has several curled leaves. I cut her last feed drastically, and I thought she was improving, but I feel like more of her leaves have clawed/curled since then. There is still no sign of nutrient-burnt tips or discoloration. Will the curled leaves uncurl when the nitrogen level is back down? I think after I pick some of her leaves off, I'm going to take her to the bathtub and run a few gallons of water through her. I might entirely skip this week's feed for her, and cut out all the nitrogen when I feed her next. I'm worried about her going two weeks with no P/K though. What do you guys think about my plan?

I'll post some pictures later of what I do throughout the day!

:allgood:

Hey Dresney, when I'm doing defol I start by looking down on my girl, then start at the top of plant working my way down in levels across the plant. I use my thumb nail and finger to nip the leaf stems. I nip them leaving a part of stem attached to the branch. This little stump will dry up and fall off on its own later on.
A simple guide that bassman shared with me is this. Once the bud sight has its own leaves formed and of a decent size, it doesn't need its fan leaf to drive the bud. This is an extreme way to defol though. So just go with your gut :)

Hi Dresney! Wow you are doing great- flowering girls and clones look awesome! :cheer:
About Pascalle's curled leaves- I had one do that-still not sure if it was the N or excessive heat.:hmmmm: Anyway the leaves are still clawed a month later and from what I've researched they will stay that way. All the new growth was normal though.

Keep up the good work- you are going to have a great harvest before you know it!:thumb:
:peace:

Hey Dresney, when I'm doing defol I start by looking down on my girl, then start at the top of plant working my way down in levels across the plant. I use my thumb nail and finger to nip the leaf stems. I nip them leaving a part of stem attached to the branch. This little stump will dry up and fall off on its own later on.
A simple guide that bassman shared with me is this. Once the bud sight has its own leaves formed and of a decent size, it doesn't need its fan leaf to drive the bud. This is an extreme way to defol though. So just go with your gut :)

Thanks for this, LA. But I have to admit when I got down there to do it I wussed out! :rofl: I just can't bring myself to do it! Maybe when I start to see a difference in shaded buds and non-shaded buds it'll give me the courage I need. :laughtwo:

:rollingeyes:

Hi Dresney! Wow you are doing great- flowering girls and clones look awesome! :cheer:
About Pascalle's curled leaves- I had one do that-still not sure if it was the N or excessive heat.:hmmmm: Anyway the leaves are still clawed a month later and from what I've researched they will stay that way. All the new growth was normal though.

Keep up the good work- you are going to have a great harvest before you know it!:thumb:
:peace:

Thanks, Flo! :)

The curled leaves are really bothering me. She's such a pretty plant, and those leaves are ruining it!

And defoliation is such a controversial subject here on 420! Some say leave the leaves alone, some say clear a path for bud sites.....I'm going to try some defol this round too. Will be watching you intently Dres.....LOL

Nothing to see here, Canna. I'm a defol wuss. I'll be watching you intently, I suppose. :laughtwo:

Pascalle is drying out in the bathtub as I type this... here's what she looks like today.

Day 21 of 12/12 - Day 13 of serious flower business

Next to the window...
gdp0121147.jpg

Looking down on her. She looks so small like this. I can see the difference in color of her top leaves since cutting out the nitrogen. It almost looks like they're getting too light. Maybe not. The different lighting in the photos is messing with me. Blarg.
gdp0121142.jpg

Fluxing curled leaves. They are more concentrated in this one spot, which leads me to believe that maybe there was/is a build-up in one area of the soil that these roots are sitting in. Hopefully the flush today will make a difference.
gdp0121143.jpg

Splish, splash, she got a bath!

gdp0121146.jpg

I'm going to hold off on feeding her until probably Friday or so... til the next time she's dry. She was last fed on the 14th and that was just mostly 1-8-7. So if I do a Friday feed, we're looking at 10 days between any food at all, and 20 days since her last real nitrogen dose. She's a finicky eater!

Okay, I'm going to go see if she's stopped dripping enough to move downstairs.

:partyboy:

And to bring the day to an end, all the bubbler clones are in their dirt homes now.

Clockwise from the top left they are Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto.
01211422.jpg

Here they were 18 days ago (Jan. 3) in the same orientation.
01031491.jpg

They were getting hungry and one of them might have the beginning of a deficiency... looks like maybe phosphorous. They've all been fed at least once since being planted though, so keep your fingers crossed for them!

I think that's all my updating for the day.

Have a wonderfully smoky night, everyone!

:green_heart:

When I defoliate I start by removing the lower growth that will not produce anything except popcorn bud and serves no purpose for flowering. I then remove any fan leaves that are shading a bud site to open up the light to the plant. The leaves that have curled from too high of nitrogen in flowering will not uncurl. I would feed your plants flowering nutrients so that they may form pistils and calyxes.

Hi Dres :battingeyelashes: Pascalle looks very clean, shiny and beautiful.

I think tucking Fanleaves away is preferable to cutting them off.

I am guilty of the odd pinch :battingeyelashes: here and there, but I always have a reason.

Any leaf that is blocking anything can be simply tucked out of the way.

Fanleaves are givers, not takers. that's why plants grow them :thumb:

Heya, Dresney!

With your flowering girls I would be on the panel for defol.

Then again, that's my personal preference. I don't find it to increase yield, unless you do it all the way through and heavily train the plant putting buds where there were leaves.

Also, I have found that it doesn't decrease yield.

One sure fire thing is though, it will increase air movement and will make spotting pests and diseases much easier. ;)

:Namaste:

We'll done :cheer:

Thanks and welcome to my journal!

I'm honored that this was your first post. :high-five:

(PS - I own all the Waldo books :))

Lookin' good Dres,:thumb: looks like you'll be able to make some great shish with that trim & gotta love shade leaves with trichs!

Thanks, Trich! And yeah, I'm excited about making some hash!

I need to pick a set of bubble bags or whatever they are, but it's confusing.

Some of them are outrageously priced (several hundreds) and some are below $100.

More research to do, I suppose. :hmmmm:

The leaves that have curled from too high of nitrogen in flowering will not uncurl. I would feed your plants flowering nutrients so that they may form pistils and calyxes.

It's settled - Friday feeding of 1-8-7. Thanks, KJC!

I am guilty of the odd pinch :battingeyelashes: here and there, but I always have a reason.

I'm picking up what you're laying down there, Rico :battingeyelashes:

Thanks for the advice... I'm going this route out of fear, as much as instinct. :laughtwo:

One sure fire thing is though, it will increase air movement and will make spotting pests and diseases much easier. ;)

Excellent points, Mono.

My girls did end up rather bushy.

I have to do a lot of lifting when I want to see up their skirts. :loopy:

I think from here on I'm going to go with the flow from day-to-day.

If a leaf needs the axe (or my deadly finger-thumb combo), it'll get it!

Blanca Bambina (WW)

Day 12

She looks just like Pascalle and Loretta at this age, maybe even a day or so ahead of them.

ww0122141.jpg

It's amazing how that tiny stem is supporting and nourishing everything up top.

ww0122142.jpg

I've fallen in love all over again!

:love:

I'm with Rico on this one.
I don't want so much veg that I get humidity problems, but I leave most fans on. If I pinch one, it's for a reason.
I used to really defol, but personal experience showed me healthier plants/buds if I left most healthy fan leaves.
The fan leaves store energy & are needed to breath. That said, my old neighbor stripped all fan leaves, looked like a vine, but he had huge yields. Go figure.

It looks like the leaves are floating (at least the screen of my phone). Awesome!

It does look like that a bit! Probably even more so if you've got Heavy Eyelid Syndrome from :lot-o-toke: :laughtwo:

I'm with Rico on this one.
I don't want so much veg that I get humidity problems, but I leave most fans on. If I pinch one, it's for a reason.
I used to really defol, but personal experience showed me healthier plants/buds if I left most healthy fan leaves.
The fan leaves store energy & are needed to breath. That said, my old neighbor stripped all fan leaves, looked like a vine, but he had huge yields. Go figure.

If all my clones survive, I might try heavy defol with one and let the other grow as it will.

My gut says to leave the fans alone, but I'm a noob, so what does my gut know anyway? :loopy:

Nice shot of Blanca! Very beautiful looking seedling. I want! ;)

Thanks, CannaMeds! She is turning out to be quite pretty.

I was worried I stunted her last week (I let the temps get up to 90F!), but she seems to be on par with the others.

Hiya dresney.. :circle-of-love:

All looking green n lovely as usual my friend

:ciao: Thanks, Bud. Can't wait to see your upcoming harvest!

looking good have a green weekend Dres

Thanks, Fr3d! You too! :passitleft:

Gorgeous little girl's.:thumb:Nice job Dres.

Thank you very much, Jimmy. :high-five:

I'm proud of them so far... let's hope they keep their momentum going until harvest.

For the fat ladies in the lady cave...

I think Pascalle is over the nitrogen-overload hump. Her lowest level of leaves is yellowing at a faster rate than they ever have, so I guess she's pulling nitrogen from them. I'm happy about that.

I probably could have put off feeding/watering her until tomorrow or Sunday, as her pot wasn't as light as it usually is when I water, but she hasn't had any food in 10 days and I don't want to hinder flower production.

I mixed 15ml of Flower Power and 1 ml of Grow It Green into half a gallon of water. She got all of it.

Loretta's pot was still a little heavy, as well, so I'm going to hold off on watering and recheck it tomorrow. Her next watering will be a bathtub flush, so there will be some natural light photos of her soon. She is gigantic!

Here are some glamour shots of them today. :dreamy:

Day 24 since the flip / 16 days since flowering began.

Pascalle

You can't see it in any pictures I took, but the very tips of some sugar leaves are just starting to turn purplish/red. :partyboy:
gdp0124141.jpg

Loretta

She is really starting to bulk up. I can't believe this is only 16 days since the first signs of buds... and still so much time left! :yahoo:

tw0124141.jpg

That's all the news on the Dresney Grow Front today.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!~

:green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom