Dresney's First Grow - Organic - Indoor - GDP - Trainwreck

Brassic brings up a very valid point! For now however, if you don't have any stealth concerns, and since it is winter time, I say you should be able to knock this first grow under your belt with very few hitches!

The only thing that might worry me a little is light efficiency! Being able to use all your available light is a very crucial aspect of indoor growing. But there are countless growers on here, some you may know, that utilize entire 8' x 6' rooms and even bigger to grow no more than 8 or so plants, with no type of added reflection besides white walls.

But thinking about it, this is where economies of scale come in. The more you produce, requires a bigger space, and more lighting, which in turn all cancels itself out when it comes to efficiency as every square foot is being utilized. However, having a big space, with little production and minimal lighting may in turn force you to consider ways of properly using every bit of energy the lights produce.

Wow, sorry for the rant. I can get carried away sometimes. But all in all, I would consider Brassic's advice ;)

I'd say it's semi-enclosed. :laughtwo:

I have a panel of mylar-covered reinforced cardboard that I can attach to the front of the shelves, so that all 4 sides are covered. The top would not be enclosed. I figured the light would be right over it shining down into the shelving unit that is covered on those four sides. The shelving unit is 6 feet tall, so hopefully it won't leak too much light between the bulb and top of the enclosed part.

Does that make sense? For some reason I'm having a hard time with words right now. :;):

Now that you bring that up, I think I forgot to mention something you MUST consider. By restricting height, you WILL need to expand in overall width and length. All those branches are going to have to bend outwards, instead of growing straight up. I think a re-evaluation of future grow space is in order :laughtwo:

Thanks AG, more great points there.

Another thing Dres, is your veg enclosure in the same room ?

I don't have a separate area. Just the one right now. I think if I get some clones to root (when I get the nerve to take clones), I will make a small veg area in an empty upstairs bedroom.

Now that you bring that up, I think I forgot to mention something you MUST consider. By restricting height, you WILL need to expand in overall width and length. All those branches are going to have to bend outwards, instead of growing straight up. I think a re-evaluation of future grow space is in order :laughtwo:

Hmm. I could block off that whole area of the basement and use that whole space. And if I really.... really, really needed to I could be talked into putting drywall up and building a room. Or at least paying someone else to put dry wall up. :rofl:

Ok then. I think if you are planning any kind of continuity here you are going to need a 100% light proof flower enclosure. The easy way is a tent, but they can have height restrictions as well as a steep price for the better ones. If you want some ideas on cheap constuction then I can help.

I'm actually not too concerned about light leaks. The area is in my basement with no windows and no running electronics. It's pretty darn dark down there with no lights on. Dark enough that you can't see anything in front of you. My main concern is just losing light efficiency.

After getting really excited, I feel like I might need dial it back down a few notches.

I do not want to build a grow room in this house, as I hope to move some time next year. When I start hunting for my new house, I will purposely look for an area with a good space to build a legit room - airtight, light-tight, etc. If it comes down to using the space I have now or building something fancy, I will flip earlier and sacrifice yield.

I have a penchant for being impulsive and biting off more than I can chew. I'm trying to not do that. :surrender:

you can build a grow room for cheap, all you need is some length of wood to screw to floor and walls and to build frames out of for new walls,

then just use that panda film, its black on one side and white on the other, its totally light proof and big rolls or sheets are not that expensive, you wouldnt even need a door, you could build a sort of door frame type thing where you want the door then again use panda film and velcro, then you could roll the door up when you want to get it, then when you want to seal it back up just let the panda film unroll and push it onto the velcro running down the sides of the door,

so you dont need anything to fancy, no brick work or anything to technical, just get some 2 by 1 wood to build a frame with and as long as its secured to the floor and any walls then you can easily build what ever size grow area you want, that would work out much cheaper than buying a tent and would be just as good.

if i was going to build a room or section a portion of room off then thats the way id go, build the frame then use a staple gun to staple the panda film to the wood, jorge cervantes has a build guide in one of his videos you can download, exact same method i just told you about, he builds a 12ft by 12ft room in less than a day,

i think its in his grow bible, not sure but i can find out if you wanted to have a watch.

Well Donpaul beat me to it there. I was going down similar lines. Advantages in this is it can easily be taken down, can be altered also. You can use remaining space for veg. etc.

Oh, and I've got one to build shortly.

have a look on the u tube site, search for how to build grow room using panda film, or search for how to build grow room using panda film, that should bring up load of vids that will help you,

let me check which jorge cervantes dvd has the grow room build guide in it, give me 1min and ill tell you which one it is, then just download that grow video and it gives you step by step instructions, im sure his room was 8ft by 8ft i think, plus he goes into detail about setting up inlets and outlets and all that,
let me just flick through the vids on my computer then ill tell you which one its in

jorge cervatnes has a build guide in his book called marajuana grow basics, which can be downloaded,

im just checking my grow dvds now on my comp then i can tell you which dvd is the one with the grow set up in it, im pretty sure its jorge cervantes grow bible, im sure its in that one, let me check for sure

Thanks so much, DP! I'll definitely look for that video.

So here is a layout of my space.

proposal.png

The pink line is where I'd need to put my wall since that light bulb is in the way. I'm guessing I should make the space smaller though or it still wouldn't be light efficient. Even with all that space I'd still only grow 3-4 plants max, as my husband probably won't let me get away with more than that. I like the idea of splitting it up and having two spaces, one for vegging and one for flowering. So I guess I could go for two 6'x7' areas?

Haha, yeah, it is a bit of a wish-list set up he has there. I just had a quick look at the video and now I want to turn my room into something that looks like Dexter is moving in.

Thanks for the reps.

x

That's it, I'm moving to Queens; I want my own basement. "PSYCH" But I would love a private basement or any large grow area for that matter. I've already told my daughter if she goes away for college her room is gone. She honestly thinks I'm joking. Can you imagine the look on her face coming home for Spring Break & seeing about 25 plants in her old room? PRICELESS...

Back
Top Bottom