Dennise - No Longer The Newest Of Newbies - Not Growing In MG - Perpetual

Re: Dennise, Newest of Newbies growing in MG in the closet with LED bulbs and CFL's

Don't forget the rooting powder. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Re: Dennise, Newest of Newbies growing in MG in the closet with LED bulbs and CFL's

Don't forget the rooting powder. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I'm thinking I am going to get the gel instead of powder. Is there any reason the powder would be better? Seems as tho the gel would be easier to work with........

Nope, gel is "better".

Just wanted to save you a second trip. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Had to get the powder. I drove over 100 miles just to find that!!!!! Any who never found any rockwool but did get some rooting powder, vermiculate, perlite and a little greenhouse enclosure. I will show you what all I got in a bit and hopefully someone will tell me I have enough to do something with. Pooped and outside world sucks!!!! I want to start a couple of clones off of the guys in the closet so when you have time and you all know who I am talking to please take a look at what I have (once I put the pic up) and tell me if I have enough of what I need and what to do with it. I think I have the cutting and no O2 in stem and recutting at 45 angle under purified water but I don't know how to use the powder vs the liquid with the root starter and I don't know if anything I have will make a good medium for the clone. I will go get a pic and get it posted.............:tokin:

Well I would say you have way more than enough:thumb:.. Did someone here tell you that you will get o2 in the cut if its not done underwater?.. That process and situation is not relevant in plants like cannabis.. But maybe it's just your preference. I take alot of cutting and have never cut underwater with 100% rate. Hell I didn't even own rootin gel for years haha. You'll find alot of successful commercial growers and high production growers don't use it. But it has its perks. I've been enjoying your journal alot the community here is great lots of luck!

Yer my kind of grower, BOB!

"Back in the day", I rooted a couple thousand cannabis cuts with nothing but rooting powder and soil - half aged horse manure, half topsoil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thumb:

Well I would say you have way more than enough:thumb:.. Did someone here tell you that you will get o2 in the cut if its not done underwater?.. That process and situation is not relevant in plants like cannabis.. But maybe it's just your preference. I take alot of cutting and have never cut underwater with 100% rate. Hell I didn't even own rootin gel for years haha. You'll find alot of successful commercial growers and high production growers don't use it. But it has its perks. I've been enjoying your journal alot the community here is great lots of luck!

Thanks Notorious :thanks: Here are the pics of the stuff i picked up today and yes I was told you could cause an (embolism) for lack of a better word and to cut off the stem at a 45 degree and leave enough stem than you can recut under water then scrap a little of the outside off to get to the fibers and then dip in the gel (I have powder so have to figure out how to use it) then immediately get it into the rockwool cubes (which I could not find at all). So that is why I am posting these pics of what I do have and need someone to tell me how to improvise. :allgood: Forgot to upload the dang things again. be right back

Yes sir, I agree completely..and we do share alot of the same views I guess it's hard to argue with the truth haha

Here's a cut 'n paste from an earlier post of mine about taking cuttings:

I've rooted literally thousands of cannabis cuttings, but that was 25 years ago, and they were all sativas, and they were all the descendants of plants whose cuttings rooted well. I just started growing again and I wasn't sure if the old methods would still work ...

Well, apparently yes! I just took a couple small ones and they're doing fabulously. So, I'll tell you what I know - others know different stuff.

The principles are fairly simple.

1. You don't want to lose the siphon, so you get the cut-off stem in water within seconds.

2. When the leaves respire, they need to draw moisture and nutrients from the roots. No roots - so you want to ease leaf respiration.

a) that means you remove any leaves except for the apical cluster and a small fan - just leave the "top". This is one of the reasons you'll see clones with the fan leaves half cut off.

b) You also don't want bright harsh light on new cuttings for the same reason. CFLs are great - low heat, diffused light, etc.

c) You want to flood the new cuttings with humidity so they won't respire as much. Root them in some sort of enclosure where you can keep the moisture in.

3. Cuttings are best taken from the lower woody branches. There are more "rooting" hormones in the lowest branches.

4. Get some cheapo rooting powder that you can get from anywhere OR go with expensive specialty stuff - I never noticed any difference.

5. Use bland soil to root in. Fertilizer will kill a cutting. Peat starters are great, but in the 80s, I jus' rooted them in organic soil. Anything bland and non-chucky will work. I'm using those expanding, compressed peat starters wrapped in net.

Those are the basics. So, you have a cup of good room temperature water - no clorine, etc. Use either a sharp scissors or a razor blade and take off the branch at the base, using an angled cut - like 45 degrees - exposes more stem. Drop the cutting into the cup immediately. Water your peat starters or soil until it's good and soggy (again, no clorine, room temp). You want soggy soil compressed against the entire stem surface. Dip the bottom inch or two of the clone into the rooting powder - it'll stick - more is better. Poke a stem sized hole in the soil or starter, slide your cutting in, and compress the soil nice and tight all around it. Put it into your sealed rooting dome or whatever and stick it under "normal" light - nothing too bright or hot. Keep the soil soggy for a few days at least. You should be just fine.

I think there may be one more step that I'm going to try next time. Mycorrhizae are fungi that work synergistically with the root hairs to absorb nutrients. They form colonies when exposed to roots, and the earlier they form, the better for the plant. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get some mycorrhizae powder into the hole that the stem goes into - should help the plant prosper from day one.

My cuttings limped just a little for a few hours and then straightened right up. They're gonna root jus' fine.

Yer my kind of grower, BOB!

"Back in the day", I rooted a couple thousand cannabis cuts with nothing but rooting powder and soil - half aged horse manure, half topsoil. :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thumb:
Well then hang on a minute and check out what I have and tell me what to do PLEASE!!!!!! :adore:

The way I do it is so easy you probably wouldn't believe how successful I am. I'm in the middle of trimming bud right now but am starting to cramp up, what a good problem to have..haha, so in a little while when I'm free ill tell you what works for me there are so many different ways its really your preference but the embolism thing does NOT apply to cannibis.

Here's a cut 'n paste from an earlier post of mine about taking cuttings:

I've rooted literally thousands of cannabis cuttings, but that was 25 years ago, and they were all sativas, and they were all the descendants of plants whose cuttings rooted well. I just started growing again and I wasn't sure if the old methods would still work ...

Well, apparently yes! I just took a couple small ones and they're doing fabulously. So, I'll tell you what I know - others know different stuff.

The principles are fairly simple.

1. You don't want to lose the siphon, so you get the cut-off stem in water within seconds.

2. When the leaves respire, they need to draw moisture and nutrients from the roots. No roots - so you want to ease leaf respiration.

a) that means you remove any leaves except for the apical cluster and a small fan - just leave the "top". This is one of the reasons you'll see clones with the fan leaves half cut off.

b) You also don't want bright harsh light on new cuttings for the same reason. CFLs are great - low heat, diffused light, etc.

c) You want to flood the new cuttings with humidity so they won't respire as much. Root them in some sort of enclosure where you can keep the moisture in.

3. Cuttings are best taken from the lower woody branches. There are more "rooting" hormones in the lowest branches.

4. Get some cheapo rooting powder that you can get from anywhere OR go with expensive specialty stuff - I never noticed any difference.

5. Use bland soil to root in. Fertilizer will kill a cutting. Peat starters are great, but in the 80s, I jus' rooted them in organic soil. Anything bland and non-chucky will work. I'm using those expanding, compressed peat starters wrapped in net.

Those are the basics. So, you have a cup of good room temperature water - no clorine, etc. Use either a sharp scissors or a razor blade and take off the branch at the base, using an angled cut - like 45 degrees - exposes more stem. Drop the cutting into the cup immediately. Water your peat starters or soil until it's good and soggy (again, no clorine, room temp). You want soggy soil compressed against the entire stem surface. Dip the bottom inch or two of the clone into the rooting powder - it'll stick - more is better. Poke a stem sized hole in the soil or starter, slide your cutting in, and compress the soil nice and tight all around it. Put it into your sealed rooting dome or whatever and stick it under "normal" light - nothing too bright or hot. Keep the soil soggy for a few days at least. You should be just fine.

I think there may be one more step that I'm going to try next time. Mycorrhizae are fungi that work synergistically with the root hairs to absorb nutrients. They form colonies when exposed to roots, and the earlier they form, the better for the plant. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get some mycorrhizae powder into the hole that the stem goes into - should help the plant prosper from day one.

My cuttings limped just a little for a few hours and then straightened right up. They're gonna root jus' fine.

:love:
DSC018862.JPG
DSC018852.JPG
DSC018832.JPG
DSC018751.JPG
DSC018722.JPG
DSC018684.JPG
You rock!!!! I am putting the pics up now but you will see why I say so. I have everything I need per your last post and I actually think I can do this. Ok. I got this really! I have the little pods that came with the dome but do you think I should use them or the Fox Farms Happy Frog? I think it has the mycorrhizae that you were talking about. Let me go check for sure. Oh yea it does!!! Other than that I think I got this just let me know what you think about which 1 I should use.........:circle-of-love:

Perfect! Use the pods to start the cuttings.

(I know FFOF can be a little hot for cuts - not sure about FFHF)

The way I do it is so easy you probably wouldn't believe how successful I am. I'm in the middle of trimming bud right now but am starting to cramp up, what a good problem to have..haha, so in a little while when I'm free ill tell you what works for me there are so many different ways its really your preference but the embolism thing does NOT apply to cannibis.

Dude I so bow at your wisdom......:adore:

Wow graytail we do almost exact same process.. That's weird to me because everyone usually complicates it. And you would cringe Dennise if you saw me clone commercially I cut em and then toss it into a bucket o room temp water and repeat until the cuttings are too thick to get wet, then I take em out one by one cut the angle dip in water immediately dip in preferred substance mine is gel then put in rooter. When smaller quantities I pick the cut spot, clear any growth I don't want and clip the last remaining set of leaves tht are not a growth tip so they don't transpire much when put in dome, cut stem at angle 45 or higher, them immediately dip in water, then dip in gel then place in rooter. Put it in the babies room(dome) and in ten days I put it to dirt or bucket. The only difference in my way is I usually clip leaves and remove leafs while the soon to be cutting is still on the plant, oh and you always want to have Clean equipment and a clean growing environment.

Back
Top Bottom