CoffeeShopSeeds Sponsored Grow: Emmie’s Huge 1 Month Interval Constant Harvest

So, I am sitting here musing about what effect the 13.5 hours of light each day is going to do to the harvest time of these plants. If you think about it, that is 90 extra hours in a 60 day period, and if you break that down into how much extra that is over a 12/12 day, it is roughly a week of extra daylight, or 7.5 days. Does this mean the plants could finish a week early? The world wants to know. Any thoughts?

what are you running now ?
a lot will depend on the strength and quality of light. you can run autos under 18/ 6 in flower if they get enough dli. i ran 12 / 12 and still managed to light stress them.

you can run photos on a diminishing schedule to speed up flower if you have enough light. autos will just take longer to mature.

a lot will depend on the strength and quality of light. you can run autos under 18/ 6 in flower if they get enough dli. i ran 12 / 12 and still managed to light stress them.

you can run photos on a diminishing schedule to speed up flower if you have enough light. autos will just take longer to mature.

I've done dimishing light schedule indoors before and I am a firm believer that it has a profund effect on the overall structure of the plant (phenotype and cannabinoide profile). Thats the way nature does it, from the moment we hit the solstice we enter a dimishing light schedule and at some point the cannabis plants hits the sweet spot and starts to flower even the photoperiod is not at 12 hours of dark.

Start a dimishing light schedule as a experiment by taking 15 mins or even 5 mins of your lights on. The subtle you are with the changes the subtle the change.

interesting question :popcorn:

I have tried that, and found that a 10/14 light schedule did in fact speed up the finish of the plants, but I am uncertain what this did to the overall quality and potency of the product. I am attempting the opposite this time, and instead of running less hours of light, I am running more (13.5/10.5) and with so little darkness that they are in danger of reverting back to veg. More light per day would logically seem to be advantageous, but few have tried it, because it doesn't work without the accompanying trigger lights. I presently have 6 different varieties involved in this experiment, and so far it looks like flowering is being accelerated. The true test for me is going to be a very well known and often run strain, the White Widows. They consistently finish in 8 weeks to the point that they could be harvested, and typically running them for 9 or 10 weeks provides for a very impressive and extremely frosty finish. I am waiting to see if anything new happens in those last weeks since I have already seen advanced bud formation and development in these plants as a result of the lights. The questions will be how to interpret what we are seeing during this grow, so that a proper White Paper can be written at the end of this, documenting the results.

I have tried that, and found that a 10/14 light schedule did in fact speed up the finish of the plants, but I am uncertain what this did to the overall quality and potency of the product.

well, i got a light stressed plant with high yield that hermied late and seeded out on 12 / 12. the buds themselves were great but i found there was a lot of potency left on the table when i probably could have kept it. they wouldn't mature out, the trichomes remained under developed all the way to chop. a longer day would likely have let them finish better.

I am attempting the opposite this time, and instead of running less hours of light, I am running more (13.5/10.5) and with so little darkness that they are in danger of reverting back to veg.

there's no danger if they're an auto and they've turned.

More light per day would logically seem to be advantageous, but few have tried it, because it doesn't work without the accompanying trigger lights. I presently have 6 different varieties involved in this experiment, and so far it looks like flowering is being accelerated.

it should develop a bit better under 18 / 6. next run i'll pull the dimming back a bit more and let it run a longer day.

The true test for me is going to be a very well known and often run strain, the White Widows. They consistently finish in 8 weeks to the point that they could be harvested, and typically running them for 9 or 10 weeks provides for a very impressive and extremely frosty finish. I am waiting to see if anything new happens in those last weeks since I have already seen advanced bud formation and development in these plants as a result of the lights. The questions will be how to interpret what we are seeing during this grow, so that a proper White Paper can be written at the end of this, documenting the results.

white widow is a tough strain. there's a lot you can do with it. it does get fragile as an auto though. the photo is a champion.

If I understood correctly two stages of flowering take place; the flower initiation where the plant structures itself to build flowers (this stage needs a certain demand in photoperiod and photon flux) and once the flower is set, stablished and grown the second stage takes place; flower or fruit ripening (this stage needs a certain demand in photoperiod and photon flux).

If you have time to read this, its very science based.

Photon flux concept was introduced to me by @ReservoirDog

:peace:
Deeewwwwwd....! You`re kicking a$$ vis a vis these overview articles! Two thumbs up.. hope you and yours are well @danishoes21, the xenomorphs too. I recommend to everyone who is a fan of growers who elicit body-horror tropes as a part of their horticultural repertoire to check out your journal. Why a cannabis company has not snapped you up is beyond me, but that`s me assuming you`d want such a job.

I've done dimishing light schedule indoors before and I am a firm believer that it has a profund effect on the overall structure of the plant (phenotype and cannabinoide profile). Thats the way nature does it, from the moment we hit the solstice we enter a dimishing light schedule and at some point the cannabis plants hits the sweet spot and starts to flower even the photoperiod is not at 12 hours of dark.

most of my favorite strains grow in sub equatorial zones that do not get such a degree of day / night seasonal variance. i still run a diminishing schedule though. it cuts a couple wks off. i've run 120 day sativas. with enough light i've not seen any difference in production.

you can run photos as autos on 12 / 12 from seed if you have enough light. they hit maturity at the fifth node - same as auto - and can trigger from that point forward. again just like auto. that's how we used they used to roll indoor commercial for a faster turn around..

Veg Room 1
This room is now empty except for the Dynomyco experiment, being covered in a dedicated thread, click here.
Veg Room 2
The Tangies got fed and watered yesterday after going way too long between waterings, but I needed them to reach for the bottoms of these tall containers. The plants have become massive and I am glad there are only 3 of them going over to bloom in 10 days.
DSCF1180.JPG

Bloom Room
This room amazes me every time I open the door. The White Widows are doing that foxtailing thing that they do when the buds start expanding out horizontally, and as a result these buds continue to get bigger, taller and fatter. I am not hurrying this harvest, despite what it is doing to my room rotation, and I fully intend to let these Widows go for 9-10 weeks for full trichome coverage. This of course is under normal lighting, and so far I don't even have a guess what these are going to do, other than I am putting a small wager on them finishing a week earlier than they normally would, due to the lighting pattern.

In the new bloom section, I think we are done with stretch now at day 15, with two of the plants growing right up to several inches away from the light. I have seen several plants over time get this close to the big @NextLight MEGA, and I am always amazed as bright as it is, that the buds don't burn up here. Nevertheless, I moved the light up a few inches just to be cautious. Ghost Train Haze and Strawberry Lemonade have both taken the lead in the stretching, at 34" above the soil. The other strains held back quite a bit, and I will get the percentages of total stretch in a future posting, but these two came very close to 100% stretch. Since these are unknown varieties in my garden, I don't know how much they would have stretched natively, without the trigger lights, but I suspect that both of these girls could get very tall if not carefully managed, but as a result I can not tell if the red lights had much of an effect in keeping them short this time. Looking at the height of the other new plants, I tend to think that the lights are indeed effective... but maybe not so much on all strains. More experiments need to be done, but I am still convinced that the trigger lights are effective to a point, but in these strains that seem intent on producing foot long colas, maybe there is nothing we can do about that other than enjoy the outcomes of their genetic inclinations. At any rate, even at 34 inches, the plants will be perfectly safe in my 6'6" attic grow room, with plenty of room to spare.

DSCF1183.JPG
DSCF1184.JPG

Happy Independence Day to the Americans in the group!

This morning I made a run through the rooms to see what needs to be done today. I have isolated our big Purple Kush since I think I have determined that it is a male, just before there was going to be a strong need to uppot him. I am going to put him in the bloom room for a couple of days under very strict supervision, and get him to transition. Then, I think I will put a spare light on him and keep him in my love tent until I can gather some pollen. I need new PK seeds that are not so stubborn to germinate, so that I can keep this amazing variety around for a while.

Same thing is going to happen with my other suspected males from the Tangie grow, almost. I have 1000+ seeds of this variety, so I don't need to produce seeds, I just need to confirm one way or another the sex of these 5 suspected males. As soon as they transition and let me know for sure, they are going in the soil reclamation area to be tilled under and composted back into the soil.

In the bloom room, it must be watering day. With all the excitement of this weekend I have lost track, and my phone needs to be charged, so I am not quite certain that it is time to water, but the plants are giving me a hang dog look, like they need a drink. I will revisit this by mid day after I can access my Days Timer app to confirm what is going on. I have either missed a day or the closeness to the light has made a couple of our new plants very thirsty. Either way, the needs of the bloom room are not going to be ignored, and this morning I raised the lights a little more, seeing signs of distress beginning in our Ghost Train Haze, right at the top.
DSCF1185.JPG

The older buds are starting to turn now... and this shot from down low on one of the White Widows confirms it. This bud has few white pistils any longer, and all the red ones are starting to pull back into the buds, except at the very top. I am more convinced every day that we are going to see an early finish on these buds under the 13.5 hour days.
DSCF1186.JPG

Here is a wider shot of that same plant
DSCF1187.JPG

Congrats on your duo wins, Emilya! I'm especially happy about the GJOTM win since I'm one of the people who nominated it. :battingeyelashes:

:bravo:

Congrats on your duo wins, Emilya! I'm especially happy about the GJOTM win since I'm one of the people who nominated it. :battingeyelashes:

:bravo:
Thank you Love for both the nomination and your congrats! I kept thinking that there was no way the folks would let me win 2 major awards in the same month and I was surprised at the end. I was convinced that the competition would stage a rally for the finish!

Today I banished the suspected males to the back corner of the bloom room where they will get the benefit of a much shorter day and the red trigger lights. I will watch them like a momma hen because we are not going to let any of them spew while they are here. I suspect we will have them confirmed in a matter of days.

DSCF1195.JPG

Veg Room 1
This room is now empty except for the Dynomyco experiment, being covered in a dedicated thread, click here.
Veg Room 2
The Tangies got fed and watered yesterday after going way too long between waterings, but I needed them to reach for the bottoms of these tall containers. The plants have become massive and I am glad there are only 3 of them going over to bloom in 10 days.
DSCF1180.JPG

Bloom Room
This room amazes me every time I open the door. The White Widows are doing that foxtailing thing that they do when the buds start expanding out horizontally, and as a result these buds continue to get bigger, taller and fatter. I am not hurrying this harvest, despite what it is doing to my room rotation, and I fully intend to let these Widows go for 9-10 weeks for full trichome coverage. This of course is under normal lighting, and so far I don't even have a guess what these are going to do, other than I am putting a small wager on them finishing a week earlier than they normally would, due to the lighting pattern.

In the new bloom section, I think we are done with stretch now at day 15, with two of the plants growing right up to several inches away from the light. I have seen several plants over time get this close to the big @NextLight MEGA, and I am always amazed as bright as it is, that the buds don't burn up here. Nevertheless, I moved the light up a few inches just to be cautious. Ghost Train Haze and Strawberry Lemonade have both taken the lead in the stretching, at 34" above the soil. The other strains held back quite a bit, and I will get the percentages of total stretch in a future posting, but these two came very close to 100% stretch. Since these are unknown varieties in my garden, I don't know how much they would have stretched natively, without the trigger lights, but I suspect that both of these girls could get very tall if not carefully managed, but as a result I can not tell if the red lights had much of an effect in keeping them short this time. Looking at the height of the other new plants, I tend to think that the lights are indeed effective... but maybe not so much on all strains. More experiments need to be done, but I am still convinced that the trigger lights are effective to a point, but in these strains that seem intent on producing foot long colas, maybe there is nothing we can do about that other than enjoy the outcomes of their genetic inclinations. At any rate, even at 34 inches, the plants will be perfectly safe in my 6'6" attic grow room, with plenty of room to spare.

DSCF1183.JPG
DSCF1184.JPG
Which plant has the big colas?

I have the results of the total stretch on our 4 new varieties, now at day 17 of bloom.
Despite what happened with the GC, the rest of them kept stretch to a minimum. I am sure we can expect an outlier every now and then, but overall I think the red lights worked. There was never any danger of having to resort to super cropping or lifting the light more than a few extra inches.

Variety
Original Height in inches
Height after 16 days
Percentage of Stretch
Green Crack1631
112%​
Ghost Train Haze1834
88%​
HulkBerry1930
58%​
Strawberry Lemonade18.533
78%​

There was never any danger of having to resort to super cropping or lifting the light more than a few extra inches.

Hi Emilya!
As usual, your crops look amazing!

Only, you don't like super cropping?

Hi Emilya!
As usual, your crops look amazing!

Only, you don't like super cropping?
I consider supercropping to be a last ditch effort to fit vertically into the grow space. Sometimes its the only thing to do, when that one aggressive plant stretches to nearly 3x its veg height. Sativas are known also for their dramatic stretch and are problematic for me in my 6'6" ceiling height. Since using these rooms I have only had to supercrop two plants, but it seems there are times when it is necessary.

I am hoping that someday all lights will have trigger lights on a timer so that stretch can be held to a minimum, as I am doing here. I am convinced that the far red light works and I truly believe that without these special lights, this GTH would have outgrown the space and would have needed to be supercropped.

Back
Top Bottom