Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

re: Cardboard Flowerbox Test 3 - 41 Week Perpetual SOG

ill find out what mines called when i get back,, its on my bulb box that says 55,000 but im thinking that may be due to this element they used to produce the blue light for veg, either that or they sent me a cheaper bulb, ill post what it is when i get back, will be interesting to see how they both compare, maybe my units just a cheaper one, it cost me £65 including bulb,

ill find out what mines called when i get back,, its on my bulb box that says 55,000 but im thinking that may be due to this element they used to produce the blue light for veg, either that or they sent me a cheaper bulb, ill post what it is when i get back, will be interesting to see how they both compare, maybe my units just a cheaper one, it cost me £65 including bulb,

Mine was $24.99 (£15.91) free shipping.

i noticed that in the post before, if im only getting 55,000 then im losing out on over 10,000 lumins, which is a lot when you think about it, i need to find out if its due to it been dual spec or not, maybe the 65,200 lumins bulb is to hot for the element that creates the blue light needed for the veg stage, if it comes to it then i can get the 65,200 hps bulb and keep that for flower then i could get a 400 watt mh bulb, ill need to look into this, ill post a picture of the box of my bulb so you can see what it is and ill write what it says.
i think my bulb live is a bit longer than yours though, im sure mines queit a bit more but dont keep me to it till i check the box when i get home.
my bulb was free with the ballast so not sure how much it costs on its own, ill find out though then i can compare it,
thanks mate for checking the info on your bulb for me, it gives us a good idea of the differences in bulbs and makers, if someone can get an extra 10,200 lumins for their 400watt bulb then i say its worth doing, its an extra 15% ish, not worked it out just a guestimate

the lights im using dont appear to have a lumin rating that i have found, but i can tell you that they are a LOT darker than a standard bulb, its a nice gentle purple light (you can sort of feel that its a mix of the red and blue).
but just as an educated guess, 30 watts is 30 watts and if its half as bright as a normal one, then it must be producing twice as much non human visible light so to speak.

the lights im using dont appear to have a lumin rating that i have found, but i can tell you that they are a LOT darker than a standard bulb, its a nice gentle purple light (you can sort of feel that its a mix of the red and blue).
but just as an educated guess, 30 watts is 30 watts and if its half as bright as a normal one, then it must be producing twice as much non human visible light so to speak.

PAR... Photosynthetically Available Radiation.

But it could be that the coating is partially blocking light as it is filtered for the red/blue spectrum.

PAR... Photosynthetically Available Radiation.

But it could be that the coating is partially blocking light as it is filtered for the red/blue spectrum.

i found this, but i cant make head nore tails of it, perhars someone could tell me the par of my lights choice, lol

honest those lights sound like actinic bulbs, I used them on my reef tank.
they were developed for newborn babies to reduce the chance for jaundice.:)

i found this, but i cant make head nore tails of it, perhars someone could tell me the par of my lights choice, lol

Xlr8 put it best first here... Lumens are for HUMANS

Demystifying Lumens, Lux and PAR
  • Email
LED lights require new thinking about the way we measure light for use by plants. The typical rating most growers are familiar with is the “lumen.” The definition of the lumen is the total light produced within the range of the human visual response. It tells us nothing about the distribution of that light energy over the spectrum, and most importantly, it doesn’t tell us how much is useful for plants.
The problem with lumens is especially pronounced when measuring light at the far ends of the human visual response curve. Consider three lamps—red, green and blue—each emitting the same number of watts of optical energy. The red and blue lamps would have much lower lumen ratings compared to the green lamp, simply because the human visual response is very low at red and blue, and highest at green. That’s why a high lumen rating does not necessarily make a lamp better suited to growing plants.
Similarly, light meters that measure in “lux” tell us very little about a lamp’s plant-growing power. The light sensors in lux meters have their own spectral response curves which may over- or under-measure light at various colors. This is why lux meters usually have different settings for “sunlight,” “fluorescent” and “incandescent” lamps. Again, because lux meters are meant for measuring the amount of light usable by humans, they don’t tell us anything about how plants will respond.
Plant biologists define light in the 400nm to 700nm spectral region as “photosynthetically available radiation,” or PAR. The unit for measuring PAR, micro-mols per second (μmol/s), indicates how many photons in this spectral range fall on the plant each second. Inexpensive PAR meters use sensors that respond over the entire 400-700nm spectrum, and have their own sensitivity curves that require different calibration for sunlight, fluorescent and HID lighting.
All these systems are too broadly responsive to measure an LED’s narrow emission spectrum. They make HID light seem brighter by over-measuring yellow-green light, and make LED light seem dimmer by under-measuring red and blue light.
To properly measure the amount of energy present for photosynthesis we must use a spectroradiometer. This instrument measures energy in watts at each specific wavelength over a range of wavelengths. A spectroradiometer can provide a direct comparison of each lamp’s ability to produce light that plants can use for photosynthesis. Spectroradiometers are expensive instruments, not usually found outside laboratories. (A more common instrument called a spectrometer can show relative light output over a spectral range, but does not measure energy in watts.)
Manufacturers should publish spectroradiometric data showing the energy per wavelength produced by their lamps. This data will allow growers to accurately compare different lighting technologies—whether HPS vs. LED or different LED horticultural lights—and know how much usable light their plants will receive from each system.

my light emits the most in the 630nm range, which has been measured by botanists as the radiation absorbed most during the flowering phase of growth in cannabis.

Yes, I did a 2x2 ScrOG with my Ken's GDP in the second test of this box, it was an LST vs. ScrOG. I must admit, it was with T5's so the results were less than average for a plant, but you should go check it out. It's in my sig under jandre2k3's links. Once there, under "All Things Cardboard" it is the second test run.

Ohh damn.. Well maybe you'll give it another go sometime in the future now that you have a HID... I really don't think I could do it any other way no that the way this one is turning out. Anytime I can get 5-8 zips off of one plant (and only have one plant) I think I'll go with that method.. Granted I haven't even got close to harvest yet, but I'm pretty sure my numbers are highly realistic or on the low side :)

Hey mate, what do you expect to harvest from these roughly, have they all been topped yeah or LST'd ? I like the even canopy thats why i like those SCROGS but i dont have much experience with these techniques, and dont wanna kill my girl accidentally..Good job with em mate. Have a good one:) Smokem..

LOL thanks jandre. super knowledgeable as always, but not quite what i meant =p

That data sheet is from the maker of my lights, its a bit of a generic data sheet covering several products.

what i meant was that i cannot understand it enought to extrapolate the data from that sheet to tell me what PAR my lights are ;)

Xlr8 put it best first here... Lumens are for HUMANS

Demystifying Lumens, Lux and PAR
  • Email
LED lights require new thinking about the way we measure light for use by plants. The typical rating most growers are familiar with is the “lumen.” The definition of the lumen is the total light produced within the range of the human visual response. It tells us nothing about the distribution of that light energy over the spectrum, and most importantly, it doesn’t tell us how much is useful for plants.
The problem with lumens is especially pronounced when measuring light at the far ends of the human visual response curve. Consider three lamps—red, green and blue—each emitting the same number of watts of optical energy. The red and blue lamps would have much lower lumen ratings compared to the green lamp, simply because the human visual response is very low at red and blue, and highest at green. That’s why a high lumen rating does not necessarily make a lamp better suited to growing plants.
Similarly, light meters that measure in “lux” tell us very little about a lamp’s plant-growing power. The light sensors in lux meters have their own spectral response curves which may over- or under-measure light at various colors. This is why lux meters usually have different settings for “sunlight,” “fluorescent” and “incandescent” lamps. Again, because lux meters are meant for measuring the amount of light usable by humans, they don’t tell us anything about how plants will respond.
Plant biologists define light in the 400nm to 700nm spectral region as “photosynthetically available radiation,” or PAR. The unit for measuring PAR, micro-mols per second (μmol/s), indicates how many photons in this spectral range fall on the plant each second. Inexpensive PAR meters use sensors that respond over the entire 400-700nm spectrum, and have their own sensitivity curves that require different calibration for sunlight, fluorescent and HID lighting.
All these systems are too broadly responsive to measure an LED’s narrow emission spectrum. They make HID light seem brighter by over-measuring yellow-green light, and make LED light seem dimmer by under-measuring red and blue light.
To properly measure the amount of energy present for photosynthesis we must use a spectroradiometer. This instrument measures energy in watts at each specific wavelength over a range of wavelengths. A spectroradiometer can provide a direct comparison of each lamp’s ability to produce light that plants can use for photosynthesis. Spectroradiometers are expensive instruments, not usually found outside laboratories. (A more common instrument called a spectrometer can show relative light output over a spectral range, but does not measure energy in watts.)
Manufacturers should publish spectroradiometric data showing the energy per wavelength produced by their lamps. This data will allow growers to accurately compare different lighting technologies—whether HPS vs. LED or different LED horticultural lights—and know how much usable light their plants will receive from each system.

my light emits the most in the 630nm range, which has been measured by botanists as the radiation absorbed most during the flowering phase of growth in cannabis.

Fucking equipment failures!!

3 days ago, I realized a pump was not working. SideB had gone without water for I guess for 2 days. Anyway, I fixed the problem, and all but two plants bounced back. I had to remove a Purple Widow and a Lamb's Bread because they just fucking died. Didn't come back. Died of thirst. Leaves completely wilted and now.... dried and crispy. I gave them three days to at least try to regain some semblance of life- no go. So I yanked them out and launched them across the room where they smashed on the back wall, directly above the trash can in the kitchen and fell, unceremoniously into the refuse bin. So, now I have only one Purple Widow still surviving. Let's see if I can keep this one alive for the next seven weeks, huh?

SideB
17.9 days tracking Dream Diesel- Clone - DD
17.9 days tracking Lamb's Bread Clone - LamBrd
17.9 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW

Fucking equipment failures!!

3 days ago, I realized a pump was not working. SideB had gone without water for I guess for 2 days. Anyway, I fixed the problem, and all but two plants bounced back. I had to remove a Purple Widow and a Lamb's Bread because they just fucking died. Didn't come back. Died of thirst. Leaves completely wilted and now.... dried and crispy. I gave them three days to at least try to regain some semblance of life- no go. So I yanked them out and launched them across the room where they smashed on the back wall, directly above the trash can in the kitchen and fell, unceremoniously into the refuse bin. So, now I have only one Purple Widow still surviving. Let's see if I can keep this one alive for the next seven weeks, huh?

SideB
17.9 days tracking Dream Diesel- Clone - DD
17.9 days tracking Purple Widow Clone - PW

Sorry jandre....that sucks! :smokin::smokin:

At least you got a perfect three point shot right into the waste basket!! Good thing you caught it when you did. A lot of growers might have lost all the plants!
:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom