Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

Whatever the result or whatever the reason to care is all pretty subjective....as you've all noted. Just meant give me a light that's damn sure capable of cranking out enough intensity to produce the highest level dank. Want all doubt out of the light factor. An in your face slam dunk LED.

Many LED's marketed as better/different than HPS for this or that reason. Misleading. As said I still believe 1000w DE is king so drawn to my current flower light in part due to company's stated goal to replicate 1000w HPS via LED. Engineered it accordingly.

:passitleft:

I was down at my local grow store and the owner uses two of the Fluence SPYDRx Plus 685W LED Grow Lights in his 4x8 grow tent and he just pulled right at 2 grams per watt under those lights. Of course they were growing very high yielding strains but still impressive as hell and the sizes of some of the colas on his MOAB plants were insane. They are amazing lights as well, but unfortunately out of my price range for a year or so. The other really cool thing about this light is you can run it 6" above the canopy so its great for growers with height restrictions.....no more needing to keep your light 20-24 inches above the canopy.

He has your light in his store as well BL. Really cool light as well and one of the good things about your light in my state BL is that its a certified DLC (don't ask me what that means specifically) which gives you a tax break for using it!! I definitely don't think you could go wrong with either light.

Oh, well you weren't kidding, those are some amazing lights. Lol no wonder your plants look so good. Have a question, what your opinion on the Black Dog Phytomax 2 series? Thanks .

In 2013 I'd narrowed choices & was leaning towards a Black Dog. Wanted US made light. Not nearly as many choices as present. Apache Tech was still in the running. Ca Lightworks ruled out due to high heat reports. Went to SF Max. Yield show & after talking w/ BD staff & Heavy T who had tested BD & promoted it on his show was leaning towards Black Dog. Went upstair on the way out & saw Illumitex. Completely new technology. Not even released to market yet. Decided to wait. Got one of 1st 5 to leave factory 6 months later. While not conversant on BD's new line, it looks like updated version of orig. line. I've read where they have reliability issues....diodes going out. But they're still around....one of the early mfrs. I prefer the lights without fans....less to go wrong & safe to believe less heat. But I came close to buying a Black Dog.

I was down at my local grow store and the owner uses two of the Fluence SPYDRx Plus 685W LED Grow Lights in his 4x8 grow tent and he just pulled right at 2 grams per watt under those lights. Of course they were growing very high yielding strains but still impressive as hell and the sizes of some of the colas on his MOAB plants were insane. They are amazing lights as well, but unfortunately out of my price range for a year or so. The other really cool thing about this light is you can run it 6" above the canopy so its great for growers with height restrictions.....no more needing to keep your light 20-24 inches above the canopy.

He has your light in his store as well BL. Really cool light as well and one of the good things about your light in my state BL is that its a certified DLC (don't ask me what that means specifically) which gives you a tax break for using it!! I definitely don't think you could go wrong with either light.

Original SPDR created by Illumitex staff who left & branched out on own. Excellent PPFD. Design has adjustable footprint. Good light imo. I'd use it for sure. But I don't know if I agree with being able to go to 6". My Illumitex can bleach top cola tips inside of 12". Not every time but enough. 15-18" is the sweet spot on Illumitex. Nextlight recommends 12-24"....I like min. 15" to 20" best. Plus I flower in 4x4 & it's designed to flower a 5x5. Think only mfr. that show PAR numbers where reflective materials inside tent are accounted for. Compelling numbers. It's seriously intense & bright.

Now that is a light :thumb: One day!

Hard to overemphasize the importance of light in indoor gardening. Plus I need all the help I can get.

Question for those with LED experience who've moved to or added COB.....how hot in comparison? :Namaste:

In 2013 I'd narrowed choices & was leaning towards a Black Dog. Wanted US made light. Not nearly as many choices as present. Apache Tech was still in the running. Ca Lightworks ruled out due to high heat reports. Went to SF Max. Yield show & after talking w/ BD staff & Heavy T who had tested BD & promoted it on his show was leaning towards Black Dog. Went upstair on the way out & saw Illumitex. Completely new technology. Not even released to market yet. Decided to wait. Got one of 1st 5 to leave factory 6 months later. While not conversant on BD's new line, it looks like updated version of orig. line. I've read where they have reliability issues....diodes going out. But they're still around....one of the early mfrs. I prefer the lights without fans....less to go wrong & safe to believe less heat. But I came close to buying a Black Dog.

Original SPDR created by Illumitex staff who left & branched out on own. Excellent PPFD. Design has adjustable footprint. Good light imo. I'd use it for sure. But I don't know if I agree with being able to go to 6". My Illumitex can bleach top cola tips inside of 12". Not every time but enough. 15-18" is the sweet spot on Illumitex. Nextlight recommends 12-24"....I like min. 15" to 20" best. Plus I flower in 4x4 & it's designed to flower a 5x5. Think only mfr. that show PAR numbers where reflective materials inside tent are accounted for. Compelling numbers. It's seriously intense & bright.

Hard to overemphasize the importance of light in indoor gardening. Plus I need all the help I can get.

Question for those with LED experience who've moved to or added COB.....how hot in comparison? :Namaste:

I am and was skeptical of the 6" claim but I saw the pictures of his tent with the current crop of new flowering plants and it looks like he has that light right on top of the canopy. I certainly wouldn't start with them there but I would be very willing to slowly work down from say 15" to 10" and let them kind of grow into the light to see the 'no go' distance.

Re: Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

Cool thanks BL. Yeah I wish I could afford one of those sweet commercial LEDs, some day. There's a few really good ones out there now. But I do want a very good quality LED, with a great spectrum. I like the Perfect Sun. It uses usa made Bridgelux leds. But I also like the idea of having some cobs on the panel. So Sun Plus is my other option.

Which of those would you recommend BL? You can pm the answer if you want. Thanks in advance .

Cool thanks BL. Yeah I wish I could afford one of those sweet commercial LEDs, some day. There's a few really good ones out there now. But I do want a very good quality LED, with a great spectrum. I like the Perfect Sun. It uses usa made Bridgelux leds. But I also like the idea of having some cobs on the panel. So Sun Plus is my other option.

Which of those would you recommend BL? You can pm the answer if you want. Thanks in advance .

Sorry Kevin.....don't know anything about those choices. Maybe others can weigh in? The "commercial" lights you mention are just bigger & sturdier so more PPFD & coverage but also favored & widely used by crazed home growers like me. :Namaste:

Sorry Kevin.....don't know anything about those choices. Maybe others can weigh in? The "commercial" lights you mention are just bigger & sturdier so more PPFD & coverage but also favored & widely used by crazed home growers like me. :Namaste:

I have the Perfect Sun Dwarf Star and I like it. Its a good light for a 230 watt LED to be used in small tents. You need two of them for a 4x4 space. I also use a Viparspectra (pulls 280 watts from the wall) along side of it. I couldn't tell you if one is better than the other....they both produced good results on my first grow and both are doing well on my 2nd grow. I hear great things about the Perfect Sun COB and their Goliath but both lights are a grand and in the 600 watt range. I think it really boils down to what the growers wallet will tolerate. I am going to save up for the Spydr light I think.

Then there is the whole Quantum boards that are the rave right now. I will let others work out bugs on those before I look at investing in something like that.

I have the Perfect Sun Dwarf Star and I like it. Its a good light for a 230 watt LED to be used in small tents. You need two of them for a 4x4 space. I also use a Viparspectra (pulls 280 watts from the wall) along side of it. I couldn't tell you if one is better than the other....they both produced good results on my first grow and both are doing well on my 2nd grow. I hear great things about the Perfect Sun COB and their Goliath but both lights are a grand and in the 600 watt range. I think it really boils down to what the growers wallet will tolerate. I am going to save up for the Spydr light I think.

Then there is the whole Quantum boards that are the rave right now. I will let others work out bugs on those before I look at investing in something like that.

Yeah I have a kinda small space, 4 by 2 tent. I only grow for myself, and my wife. So i dont need a big operation just yet. Only thing that puts me off about the PS Dwarf Star, is its low wattage. But still looks excellent. Price really isn't that big of an issue. I'm willing to spend the money, for a good investment. But I don't need a 1000 dollar light to cover a 4x2. Lol I just want great quality, and my area covered well.

I really like the cob led lighting, it would be nice to get a panel that has some cobs on it. I like what SunPlus has going with their Pioneer 4 panel. Quantum boards look impressive as well. But I don't see myself going that direction.

I'm assuming you mean the Fluence Spydr... Plus? Excellent light.

Quantum boards for a 4x2 could easily be done for under $500 ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Best efficiency you could find and, and ... white!

Quantum boards for a 4x2 could easily be done for under $500 ... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hmm. Under 500.. that might be worth looking into. Haven't done too much research into the Q boards. I'll need to check them out and see my options for a 4 by 2. Would be awesome to fit my tent with some Q boards.

Is Horticulture Lighting Group the only manufacturer of Quantum Boards? Are you saying I can buy prebuilt units for my 4 by 2 for under 500, or DIY for under 500?

Ps. Sorry BL for taking over your journal.

Yeah I have a kinda small space, 4 by 2 tent. I only grow for myself, and my wife. So i dont need a big operation just yet. Only thing that puts me off about the PS Dwarf Star, is its low wattage. But still looks excellent. Price really isn't that big of an issue. I'm willing to spend the money, for a good investment. But I don't need a 1000 dollar light to cover a 4x2. Lol I just want great quality, and my area covered well.

I really like the cob led lighting, it would be nice to get a panel that has some cobs on it. I like what SunPlus has going with their Pioneer 4 panel. Quantum boards look impressive as well. But I don't see myself going that direction.

I'm assuming you mean the Fluence Spydr... Plus? Excellent light.

Yes, I mean the Fluence Spydr.....my new love. LOL

I have 2 of the QB 260's in a 4x4 tent. 4 x QB 288 boards running of of 2 drivers for around $700. They are drawing 200 watts from the wall and 14" above the canopy. Heat is non existent from the boards.

I have 2 of the QB 260's in a 4x4 tent. 4 x QB 288 boards running of of 2 drivers for around $700. They are drawing 200 watts from the wall and 14" above the canopy. Heat is non existent from the boards.

What kind of PPFD readings are you getting on your canopy @ 14"?

Yes the QB 260w kit is 2 of the 288's or 2 304'. The drivers have dimmers to turn power up or down.

What kind of PPFD readings are you getting on your canopy @ 14"?

Right at 500ppfd, i'll flip tmro and start increasing ppfd a little bit at a time.

Is Horticulture Lighting Group the only manufacturer of Quantum Boards? Are you saying I can buy prebuilt units for my 4 by 2 for under 500, or DIY for under 500?

Ps. Sorry BL for taking over your journal.

There would still be a little DIY. The QB120 boards are only $29 right now, and they'll run up to 60 watts each. A driver costs another $85. You'd have to do some wiring and framing. I'd run them at 2100ma for about 50 watts each. Six would do it for 300 watts total ... nice rectangular pattern ... :slide:

I got mine from China, but I got 26 of 'em. :laugh: That was less cost than HLG or other retailers, of course.

Back
Top Bottom