1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Notrazyme
      Adjust with water to 1280 ppm
      pH adjusted to  6.27 @ 21.4 C
	1/2 t  Companion

:peace:

Re: Aberration Goes ker Bloom! - 2009

So, I wouldn't really call this a how-to. This is how I built a housing for a temperature/humidity sensor, but it is very much a prototype. I bought some stuff I needed, and the rest I scavenged from around the house.

The idea is that this sensor will allow my software to monitor temp and rh in my bloom room:

20100105-01.jpg

Since canopy level is where I'm interested in knowing about, that is where I should take the measurements. I decided to hang mine from the ceiling, as I tend to trip over things, so I didn't want a tripod or anything like that.

The sensor also needs to be protected. It is bare circuit boards, as you can see. I need something to mount it to, and it needs to be protected from impact. It should be shielded from the direct light of the HID lights to prevent the radiant heat from skewing the air temp readings. It also needs to 'breathe' well so that it gets lots of airflow past the sensors.

At first I thought of inverting a plastic plate and attaching the sensor to the underside. Then I would just make some sort of 'screen box' around the sensor. So I was in Walmart (home of the cheap) looking for inspiration. I found it in the kitchen department.

I found a square-ish wooden bowl. I like the wood idea, and the bowl makes for a smaller shield that still protects just as well. For a screen box, I found a sink drain screen. It's perfect. I also bought some binder rings and some lamp parts there. At home I dug up some duct tape, hi-vis nylon line, and the electronics.

20100105-00.jpg

Not shown is the drill, drill bits, hacksaw, band-aids, screwdriver, pliers, some screws, and a couple drinking straws. I'll get to that. Also, I didn't use all those lamp parts, those were what looked useful at the outset. I was winging this project.

So first I need to drill a hole in the bowl. It needs to hang like a suspended lamp shade, and the bowl is a tad irregularly shaped, so I just wanted to find the center of balance so it will hang straight. I used a sharp pencil and balanced the bowl on the point:

20100105-02.jpg

I fidgeted with the bowl until it was balanced and flat:

20100105-03.jpg

Then I marked that spot and drilled a 1/2" hole, because the tubing from the lamp parts is that big:

20100105-04.jpg

I tried various configurations of the lamp parts. They needed to provide a loop at the top to hang it from. They needed to be low-profile on the inside. I finally thought of the obvious and shortened the threaded tubing with a hacksaw. On the inside of the bowl I just used the big nut:

20100105-05.jpg

On the topside, I used the hanger loop. The extra knurled nut at the base was not necessary, but it looked good and I didn't have any other use for it:

20100105-06.jpg

Then I fed the sensor wires through the tube. Those little molex connectors barely squeaked through. The second one was particularly difficult. But they got through without damage:

20100105-07.jpg

20100105-08.jpg

Then, using little short pieces of plastic drinking straw, I made stand-offs. Then I used them with some drywall screws to mount the sensor. Notice that the sensor wires go under the sensor and through the lamp tube. The sensor is plenty secure, and once the screen covers it, the extra length of the screws will do well to protect it from general impact:

20100105-09.jpg

I then covered that with the drain screen, which is held in place with a couple wide-headed screws. The sensor package is suspended nicely in the middle of the 'cage':

20100105-10.jpg

I then test-hung it in the veg room. I tied some nylon line to the ring and then ran the line through an eye I already had in the ceiling, using the eye like a pulley, and tying off the other end on my res. I used a little duct tape to tack the wires loosely to the line at the bottom. What you can't see, is that up above, I taped a binder ring to the wires every 18" or so. Then I snapped each binder ring around the suspension line. That allows the wire to stay close to the line, but it can bunch up harmlessly at the ceiling if I pull the other end of the line to raise the sensor:

20100105-11.jpg

Here's a different angle:

20100105-12.jpg

The screen and bowl combination worked wonderfully. I still have a bit of work to do before the software is ready to read this thing, but I think the housing will work great.

P.S. - I found the instructions for the Clone Machine 25. Later I hope to find the time to put some clones in it.

Not surprised at your ingenuity on the temp sensor... it is expected!!

Few questions/comments...

Do we know what TBD1 is yet??? It looks amazing, and I bet you are loving the fact you finally have a different strain flowering than MTO and OC... Speaking of which, do you still have any of that Lavender or Gravity from the first go around? I loved that gravity plant, it just looked hilarious!

How is the Oregon Trainwreck coming along?? It HAS to be a beast by now... are you going to flower it soon??

I am also very interested in the CryLo... are you gonna grab some clones of that as well?

It will be interesting to see the SchnB clones and how they grow out... do you think it will imitate her mother? Hopefully not to the same extent!

The big thing about the aeroponic cloners is keeping the water at the perfect temp... When I first had the EZ-Cloner going I made the mistake of keeping it on the top part of the 2 level cab... on the bottom was the mother chamber and I had a 400w Hortilux in there and it turns out it was making the EZCloner water hotter than it should be, because they were essentially it was directly under the EZCloner, hanging at the top of the mother chamber which is right beneath it. Other than that, they are super easy/efficient.

I think I covered all my questions, for now.

Other than that, I am still miserable in MO trying to plan my journey to a Med state to grow legally. If I am ever up in your neck of the woods, I will willingly blindfold myself and take a handful of xanax and you can transport me to your grow room so I can just hang out in there with you! hahahahahah

You have got to be up to your neck in work, but I have to ask... how many hrs a week do you just sit in there and stare off in to space and hang out with your girls?? Is there any type of sound system in there?

Oh I just remembered... my final question... I know you stick to a 6 bloomers at a time, because that is the law... but you must have well over your veg limit (if you have one)... what is up with that?? Just curious!

O.K so every1 is going to get this post reminding all to vote in the contest. Oh and if you like my submission please Vote Butcher if you find others to fit your taste better then vote for your fellow Member. We just need to encourage more to vote. So here you go:

Vote In Our Contest

click this link : 420Contest

(And please if you can place a link to the contest on your signature to encourage every1 to vote. And please be sure to mention the contest to everynew member. :ganjamon:)

Do we know what TBD1 is yet??? It looks amazing,

We think it might be White Russian. 🤷 Not sure.

Speaking of which, do you still have any of that Lavender or Gravity from the first go around? I loved that gravity plant, it just looked hilarious!

Lavender, yes. Gravity, no. The Gravity wasn't very good weed. I think that plant had a problem. As for Lavender, I'm hoping I can get some cuttings to try to root today. I love the Lavender, and I'm rationing out the little I have left.

How is the Oregon Trainwreck coming along?? It HAS to be a beast by now... are you going to flower it soon??

I am also very interested in the CryLo... are you gonna grab some clones of that as well?

It will be interesting to see the SchnB clones and how they grow out... do you think it will imitate her mother? Hopefully not to the same extent!

The Trainwreck hasn't really changed at all. It grows like a vine and is quite rubbery. That sounds cool until you think about bud growing on branches that hang straight down. I was only supposed to mother her for a while anyway.

In fact, I was thinking of taking buth the ORTW and CryLo back where they came from. CryLo was a mothering project as well. She was my one success out of three when it came to pulling her out of her funk. I did grab 2 or 3 cuttings and I am trying to root them now. But momma is ready to go home.

The big thing about the aeroponic cloners is keeping the water at the perfect temp... When I first had the EZ-Cloner going I made the mistake of keeping it on the top part of the 2 level cab... on the bottom was the mother chamber and I had a 400w Hortilux in there and it turns out it was making the EZCloner water hotter than it should be, because they were essentially it was directly under the EZCloner, hanging at the top of the mother chamber which is right beneath it. Other than that, they are super easy/efficient.

Thanks. I'll be sure not to heat it unnecessarily. I know everyone around here loves aero-cloners, but I also know that they experience a 1-2 month period every year where everyone I know is struggling to get viable clones. Always at the same time. It makes me think some airborne agent is involved. In any case, that's why my mentor and I were using coco plugs under a dome. But I want to try my hand with this thing.

You have got to be up to your neck in work, but I have to ask... how many hrs a week do you just sit in there and stare off in to space and hang out with your girls?? Is there any type of sound system in there?

All the time. I smoke a couple doobies in a row and get really spaced out. I usually think about what I am going to do next to improve my grow. But it makes for an awful lot of staring into space with a grin, and not to much actual getting it done. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have a 75W Logitech 2.1 sound system hooked up to the grow room computer. It's plenty for my little space..

Oh I just remembered... my final question... I know you stick to a 6 bloomers at a time, because that is the law... but you must have well over your veg limit (if you have one)... what is up with that?? Just curious!

Yeah, I am I guess. I try to avoid it, but it's hard. Technically, I have 6 in bloom and 4 in veg, but all 4 in veg are bigger than they should be.

Two of those go away today I hope. Of the other two, one goes into bloom in about a week and the other about 10 days after. 🤷 If the med card police knock down my door I'll trim them up. I try to do the right thing, but I'm not cutting these more than needed.

amzing to say the least!!! +rep if i can

Thanks. Watching me bungle my way through automating my grow should be amusing. ;)

It was a monster day today. 6 mixes. :eyebrow waggle:

Yesterday, I took ORTW and CryLo back to their owner. I was only growing them into mothers for a little while. They were getting to be a hassle and I wasn't supposed to bloom them anyway. As I have mentioned before, I don't want to grow a hanging vine like ORTW, and I got a couple cuttings from CryLo. That leaves BD, PS, KK2 and G13xGB in veg.

Code:
--> PS, BD, G13xGB, KK2 (veg):

1. Spray for spider mites; in hot water:
   Per gal:
	 2  t  yucca
	 4  t  Azatrol
	 4  t  Notrazyme
	 1  T  Ful-power
   pH adjusted to 6.41 @ 32.8 C

2. Feed to saturation
   Per gal:	
	 1  t  Pure Blend Pro Grow
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
        1/2 oz.Yucca
   Natural @ 560 ppm
   pH adjusted to 6.24 @ 22.0 C 
	1/2 t  Companion
Then, remember we are flushing MTO2.
Code:
--> MTO2:

1. Flush: 2 gallons water
         2 T Clearex per gallon
The bloomers not flushing get their bone meal.
Code:
--> MTO3, OC6, TBD1 (bloom):

1. Pre-flush: 1/2 gal. each
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   pH adjusted to 6.38 @ 21.8 C
These two are still charging along.
Code:
2. Feed MTO3, OC6: 1-1/2 gal. each
   Per gal:
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
        1/2 T  Calcium Syrup
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	1/2 T  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
	 1  t  Carbon sweet
	 3  oz Amino Blast
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Notrazyme
    - Adjusted with Bioactive to 1410 ppm
    - pH adjusted to  6.20 @ 21.7 C
	1/2 t  Companion
And TBD1 is catching up.
Code:
3. Feed TBD1: 1-1/4 gal.
   Per gal:
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Notrazyme
      Adjust with water to 1300 ppm
      pH adjusted to  6.22 @ 21.20 C
	1/2 t  Companion

I let them dry out from the foliar spray, and I have put PS and BD into the bloom room. This is Day 0 for those two. Congrats girls! :cheer:
For now they are 3+ feet away from the lights. I'll give them some acclimation time. The next bloom feed, they get it too.

Finally. Some more stuff I know is good. I am soooo sick of the OC.

I did take pics, such as they are, but they will have to wait until tomorrow to be posted, because it is already late and I'm already blown-out tired. I need to go to work tomorrow.

Big Props on everything. I don't see how you manage those recepies but the pics prove its working like a charm.

That sensor is very cool. What does it connect to?

Big Props on everything. I don't see how you manage those recepies but the pics prove its working like a charm.

That sensor is very cool. What does it connect to?

It takes a while to do that many mixtures. It took 3 hours last night to do all that. Of course, I was pretty stoned, so that didn't help. ;)

Right now the sensor doesn't connect to anything, but soon it will connect to a Phidgets interface card, which connects to a PC via USB. Then I can write a program in Java to read sensors and manipulate relays, etc. The software is actually a good part written already, but there is still a fair bit left to do.

No feed today, just pictures. :cheesygrinsmiley: I thought you might want to see the pics I took last night.

First, since BD and PS went into bloom, I needed to 'document' them at this point.

BD (Blue Dream) is in a 10 gallon pot. She is 37" tall (from the soil), and about 30" in diameter. She is slender and sativa-like in structure:

20090107-Aber-01-bd.jpg

20090107-Aber-00-bd.jpg

PS (Purple Sage, 'bred' by my mentor) is in the same size pot. She has wider, larger leaves, and a stockier stem structure. She is 33" tall and about 24" in diameter:

20090107-Aber-03-ps.jpg

20090107-Aber-02-ps.jpg

Now that those two girls are in the bloom room, veg consists of G13xGB and KK2:

20090107-Aber-04-veg.jpg

Note: I realize all of these plants look a bit droopy. This is due to them having been blasted with Azatrol mixture not long before. Wet leaves sag. Worse on some than others. KK2 starts bowing some of her branches. They look fine now.

I guess the bloom table is shared by a bunch of young garlic chive sprouts and Cactus:

20090107-Aber-05-garlicchives.jpg

I cleaned up under the table, and there is now plenty of cloning space down there:

20090107-Aber-06-clones.jpg

More on the clones in a minute.

Just to give you an idea how I work, here is the inside of the door into the bloom room. It has my calendars, complete with color coded events and color coded day counts for plant 'waves'. It lets me keep track of what needs to be done when, and is a part of why I can manage so many recipes. Between this calendar, a few digital notes, and the log entries I paste in here, I can keep track of everyone and give them more targeted attention. I love this hobby:

20090107-Aber-07-calendar.jpg

I turned off the HPS for a few and took pictures by the light of the MH. In this pic you can see most of bloom. In the front right with dark green leaves is PS, behind her in the middle of the right edge are the thinner leaves of BD, and the hairy monkey in the back is MTO3 (Orange Cream). At center-back is OC6, and TBD1 dominates the left side of the picture. MTO2 (Matty) is hidden behind TBD1:

20090107-Aber-08-bloom.jpg

Here's another angle. Between the PS in the foreground, and the BD in near back (just in front of MTO3's menacing hulk), are some garlic chives, sitting on top of the dehumidifier:

20090107-Aber-09-bloom.jpg

I panned to the left for this next one, but I guess you still can't see MTO2 behind TBD1. 🤷

20090107-Aber-10-bloom.jpg

Then we get back to clones. Here's the whole bunch. It's pretty obvious that the BDs are not doing great, but they are better than they look. I'm still optimistic. Overall, they are all doing so well compared to previous runs. This is 12 days, and they aren't all dead, so I'm definitely thinking this is better. Some of them have little white root tips coming out and will be transplanted soon. I haven't even checked most of them however - I just sampled:

20090108-Aber-00-clones.jpg

Here's a closer look at the BD clones:

20090108-Aber-01-bd.jpg

Finally, here is a shot of the other end, where the low-number strains are. Keep in mind the colored rectangles are supposed to indicate the plugs I'm referring to here. The foliage is all over. In the red rectangle are the 5 SchB (Schnazzleberry) cuttings I took. They are doing quite well. The two in the yellow rectangle are CryLo (Crystal Locomotive), and the three in the blue rectangle are KK2 (I will have many cuttings of this in my next clone run). So I haven't given up on CryLo and SchB:

20090108-Aber-02-rares.jpg

the SchB look really healthy. actually, all your clones look good. the BD don't look bad either, you should see the clones i have.

i think i have a crush on your Schazzle Berry. :p

[rant]

So does anyone else bother to read High Times? I do, but only because Cannabis Culture is defunct. HT does cover the important things and they have good pics, but they sometimes come across as clowns IMO.

This time, it's Donny Danko. He has taken over the Q&A column. Now don't get me wrong - he knows what he's doing. He gives the right answer. But he's a little snarky. So in the Feb 2010 issue a reader asks about breeding. Danny gives him the right insights to get started, but then he discourages the reader from breeding and suggests that unless you are a pro, you should stick to growing strains someone else came up with. What a jerk.

Breeding is a numbers game. Finding new distinct phenos and isolating them to pure breeding seeds takes time and volume. The more responsible breeders we have, the more often we will be pleasantly surprised.

I have to disagree with Danko on a personal level. His perspective seems commercially-oriented. I think he should be encouraging everyone to be as knowledgeable as possible, and to be aware of the pitfalls others have found. I subscribe to the idea that we want everyone to grow more and we want everyone to know more.

[/rant]

Code:
--> G13xGB, KK2 (veg):

1. Feed to saturation
   Per gal:	
	 1  t  Pure Blend Pro Grow
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
        1/2 oz.Yucca
   Natural @ 715 ppm
   pH adjusted to 6.22 @ 21.3 C 
	1/2 t  Companion
	 1  t  Bt-i
Code:
--> MTO2:

1. Flush: 2 gallons water
         2 T Clearex per gallon
Code:
--> MTO3, OC6, TBD1, PS, BD (bloom):

1. Pre-flush: 1/2 gal. each
   Per gal:
	 1  T  liquid bone meal
   pH adjusted to 6.37 @ 21.8 C
Code:
2. Feed MTO3, OC6: 1-1/2 gal. each
   Per gal:
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
        1/2 T  Calcium Syrup
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	1/2 T  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
	 1  t  Carbon sweet
	 3  oz Amino Blast
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Notrazyme
    - Adjusted with Bioactive to 1350 ppm
    - pH adjusted to  6.20 @ 20.7 C
	1/2 t  Companion
	 1  t  Bt-i
Code:
3. Feed TBD1: 1-1/4 gal.
   Per gal:
	 2  t  liquid bone meal
         1  T  Calcium Syrup
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 2  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  T  Notrazyme
      Adjust with water to 1330 ppm
      pH adjusted to  6.21 @ 20.3 C
	1/2 t  Companion
	 1  t  Bt-i
Code:
4. Feed PS, BD: 1 gal. ea.
   Per gal:
	 1  t  liquid bone meal
         2  t  Calcium Syrup
	 2  t  Biggest Bloom
	 1  t  Soil Nute
	 2  t  PGE
	 1  t  Cal-Mag
	 2  t  Feather Tea
	1/2 t  Carbon sweet
	 1  oz yucca
	 1  oz Amino Blast
	 1  T  Notrazyme
      Adjust with water to 700 ppm
      pH adjusted to  6.27 @ 20.2 C
	1/2 t  Companion
	 1  t  Bt-i

[rant]

So does anyone else bother to read High Times? I do, but only because Cannabis Culture is defunct. HT does cover the important things and they have good pics, but they sometimes come across as clowns IMO.

This time, it's Donny Danko. He has taken over the Q&A column. Now don't get me wrong - he knows what he's doing. He gives the right answer. But he's a little snarky. So in the Feb 2010 issue a reader asks about breeding. Danny gives him the right insights to get started, but then he discourages the reader from breeding and suggests that unless you are a pro, you should stick to growing strains someone else came up with. What a jerk.

Breeding is a numbers game. Finding new distinct phenos and isolating them to pure breeding seeds takes time and volume. The more responsible breeders we have, the more often we will be pleasantly surprised.

I have to disagree with Danko on a personal level. His perspective seems commercially-oriented. I think he should be encouraging everyone to be as knowledgeable as possible, and to be aware of the pitfalls others have found. I subscribe to the idea that we want everyone to grow more and we want everyone to know more.

[/rant]

Gah.... I could not agree with you more. Who does he think he is, saying that the avg. grower should stick to proven genetics??? What exactly is he 'trying' to accomplish with that?!?!?!

I just can't fathom it.

However, I am not quite sure what you mean by Cannabis Culture being 'defunct'. Forgive me if I am too out of the loop, but I occasionally read CC, and I don't really see any red flags to indicate so.

Either way, I think we both can agree 'Donny Danko' can go suck a fat c**k for all we care. :Rasta:

However, I am not quite sure what you mean by Cannabis Culture being 'defunct'. Forgive me if I am too out of the loop, but I occasionally read CC, and I don't really see any red flags to indicate so.

For a while, the news was that his wife was going to take over editing the magazine while he was in prison. But then recently, they decided to shut down instead, and shortly afterward the magazine disappeared from the local book shops. 🤷

I as an Am. breeder am bummed about this advice. H.T is a great mag in my opinion. I'm not one to play the fence or to smash someone elses belief system . So I wont get down on H.T for the advice. But I must say if you as a grower feel confident enough to start your own strain and have the patience to do so then do it!! But keep in mind if you cant commit, and you dont produce the variety needed to establish that strain, the outcome can be very disapointing. Breeding programs have the pitfalls as well as the HIGH's. So take your time and do the research, then get into it. Maybe its just me and I have always been one to get in over my head on things. But its all about a controlled enviorment. So to Danny-Danko (no disrespect but..) say what you want, give the advice you want, but if a future breeder want to get started you dont have to discourage him, but then again you dont have to encourage them either. Its all upon your discretion...:ganjamon:

Butcher

Back
Top Bottom