Looking great Mel :high-five:
Thanks GG!
Mel your garden looks great and I love seeing it.
Thanks Keith!
I'm drooling on the Lemonchello now you’ve made it soooo much appealing to me with the training, I really like how it keeps the node branching g flat and allow every site to pop upwards.

Right one Mel
:passitleft:
Thanks Dani!
The lower branches are already catching up with the node attached to the dowel, won't be long before they reach the top node!

Hey Mel. Your plants look great!

I have a question. I'm not an outdoor grower but I want to try it one day, in pots not in the ground.

So how does that much rain affect potted plants that are being fed nutrients? It seems that steady rains over several days would effectively flush the plants. Is that the case? At some point during extended rains do you shelter them from the rain?

As you can see, I know next to nothing about growing outside. :)

I have a question. I'm not an outdoor grower but I want to try it one day, in pots not in the ground.

So how does that much rain affect potted plants that are being fed nutrients? It seems that steady rains over several days would effectively flush the plants. Is that the case? At some point during extended rains do you shelter them from the rain?

I was wondering the same thing. It makes sense that the flush would wash out nutrients from a potted plant, so what I thought to do was to plant the bags (cloth) on a garden bed so that the roots can extend beyond the pot and grab the nutes in the ground. Whenever I plant a bag in the garden bed it grows roots into the soil.

I was wondering the same thing. It makes sense that the flush would wash out nutrients from a potted plant, so what I thought to do was to plant the bags (cloth) on a garden bed so that the roots can extend beyond the pot and grab the nutes in the ground. Whenever I plant a bag in the garden bed it grows roots into the soil.
I think I'd just shelter them from the rain. The sun wouldn't be out anyhow. But I honestly don't know.

I think I'd just shelter them from the rain. The sun wouldn't be out anyhow. But I honestly don't know.

I've never grown outdoors so you have a great question I was curious about too. But if you cover them, even in rain, wouldn't that still provide less sunlight than had you not covered?

Completely anecdotal here...but I was at the beach just last weekend and it was cloudy and overcast all day. I was there maybe ... 2.5 hours? It's the PNW (Pacific North West for those across the pond!), so the wind was wild and believe it or not it's still too cold to get in the water, so everyone had long pants and long shirts/jackets on. Then I woke up the next day and my face was somehow sun burnt. Not bad of course, but still happened. Even under cloudy skies.

I've never grown outdoors so you have a great question I was curious about too. But if you cover them, even in rain, wouldn't that still provide less sunlight than had you not covered?

Completely anecdotal here...but I was at the beach just last weekend and it was cloudy and overcast all day. I was there maybe ... 2.5 hours? It's the PNW (Pacific North West for those across the pond!), so the wind was wild and believe it or not it's still too cold to get in the water, so everyone had long pants and long shirts/jackets on. Then I woke up the next day and my face was somehow sun burnt. Not bad of course, but still happened. Even under cloudy skies.
I have only grown outdoors and when it rains, I just feed the first chance I get even if it is still wet, and I have never had a problem. Fingers crossed as there is always a first time but so far so good. I do not cover my plants in the rain.

Thanks GDB!
Yeah, I have had an issue with constant rain interfering with feeding the plants when they're young in previous years. What I usually do now is feed them during breaks in the rain. The pots are going to be waterlogged anyway, so pushing what's in there out with the feed won't make things worse. If I were using something expensive I would have come up with a cover for them, but MC is inexpensive enough that I don't worry too much.
I don't do it more than once a day though.
Usually mature plants, especially with an indica structure, or heavily trained plants that have developed a thick canopy shelter the pots enough that I've had completely dry mulch even after moderately heavy rains.
It's the really heavy downpours that really get through then, or rain accompanied by high winds.
If I continue with autos I might need to come up with a way to cover them, but since they stay small that shouldn't be much of an issue.
That's also one of the benefits of fabric pots, they dry out quicker so I can feed again sooner.
They do seem to like rainwater though.
You can do that if you have room for it, but I would just go without the pot in that case. Once the roots go through you can't move it without major root damage, so one of the main benefits of pots outdoors would be lost.
You can. If I had a back porch, or an overhang I probably would when they're small enough, and there's going to be extended rain.
By the time they're in flower they're usually too big to move without major trouble.
The one time I moved plants in flower to shelter was 2021 and the clouds turned green. Looking up at them was more like looking at a set of rapids from above.
I was actually scared.
That storm was bad enough that my neighbour's tree was bent over, and it's never fully recovered.

Yeah, uv still gets through on overcast days. I'm of Irish background, and as pale as you can get without being an albino. I've gotten sunburned on a cloudy day before, lol!
I figure there's not really enough photosynthesis going on for it to matter too much though.
That said, it's cloudy out right now and Desdemona is praying pretty hard!
20230624_145513.jpg

I have only grown outdoors and when it rains, I just feed the first chance I get even if it is still wet, and I have never had a problem. Fingers crossed as there is always a first time but so far so good. I do not cover my plants in the rain.
Yep, pretty much the same as me. If I were growing plants with a very open structure I would cut a garbage bag up the side to the centre of the bottom and use it as a rain jacket for the pots, and take it off as soon as the threat of rain had passed.

Ran out to get these while the sun was out, but it's intermittent right now.

Airmid- day 56
She's putting on some frost.

Leona- day 45
Fucking squirrel keeps digging in her pot. He hasn't found anything there yet, but I guess he figures today will be different.

Desdemona- day 35
I'm impressed how much she grew after stigmas started showing up.

Maeve- day 35
Not much going on here.

They're relatively unscathed from the hard pelting rain last night, and the thunderstorms today haven't been too bad so far.

Airmid- day 57
She's doing fine. Hope to see her really start building her buds soon.

Leona- day 46
I strapped her branches down further along the dowel today.

Desdemona- day 36
I should go back and check the community grow thread to see when the colour usually starts for this strain.

Maeve- day 36

They seem to be enjoying the weather so far! Excellent summer grow so far. :thumb:
Airmid- day 54
I'm appreciating her structure a bit more than I was.
That CBD Lemon has been my fave for a while now...it's a beaut!
Leona- day 43
I swapped out the skewer for a longer one.
Great training tutorial Mel, :thanks: for laying it out so neatly.
Maeve- day 33
Looks like we have a SPOG in the making. She's flowering a little faster than her sister, but has no side branches.
Well it's about damn time...been a while since we had anyone join the club. :sorry: it had to be you though!
Cardboard on top of the pot will work well. Two pieces like @GratefulBud did here (only sitting on top of the pot and wider) or one with a hole in the middle and a slit down one side like this.

Lots of smoke out there today. I won't be going outside unless it's absolutely necessary.

They look in their element Mel, as if they loved the rain.
Thanks Carmen, I'm sure they did, it's just too much of a good thing. Leona's first true leaves are getting yellow. They're fairly well shaded, but I think it's from the nutes being washed out of the soil.
I'll be stopping the rain from soaking the pots from here on out.
They seem to be enjoying the weather so far! Excellent summer grow so far. :thumb:

That CBD Lemon has been my fave for a while now...it's a beaut!
Thanks Shed, she really has grown on me.
Great training tutorial Mel, :thanks: for laying it out so neatly.
Thanks! I had intended to use carhooks again, but her node spacing had other ideas!
Well it's about damn time...been a while since we had anyone join the club. :sorry: it had to be you though!
Lol, having two of them is turning out to be a good thing! Although that means there's two devils, and the grove is more of a coppice.
Hazards of growing autos, huh?
Cardboard on top of the pot will work well. Two pieces like @GratefulBud did here (only sitting on top of the pot and wider) or one with a hole in the middle and a slit down one side like this.
Thanks for the links, but I'm thinking of going with my rain jackets. I'll have to put them on and take them off for each rain shower, but I'd prefer to let the top of the pots breathe (although that's probably redundant with fabric pots), and prevent rain from soaking the sides.
You got them looking really nice Mel!
Thanks Stunger!

When I look out the window in the morning the delphiniums block my view of Maeve. Since she's in the ground I'm not too worried about that. She's not likely to need anything.
However this morning that means I was a bit later responding to this than I might have been.
I don't think that'll make much difference in the outcome. This happened overnight.

Spog or not, I was looking forward to seeing if there was much difference between her buds, and those from her SIPish sister.
There's still a chance. There is a thin strip connecting the top.
I've staked her up, and wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the stem with a dab of aloe.
If she doesn't recover I have just enough time to start another auto seed. I'll be looking around some journals today to see which usually takes the least time to finish. 100 days from today would take us to about mid-October, so an indica dominant auto is probably best, if it comes to that.

When I look out the window in the morning the delphiniums block my view of Maeve. Since she's in the ground I'm not too worried about that. She's not likely to need anything.
However this morning that means I was a bit later responding to this than I might have been.
I don't think that'll make much difference in the outcome. This happened overnight.

Spog or not, I was looking forward to seeing if there was much difference between her buds, and those from her SIPish sister.
There's still a chance. There is a thin strip connecting the top.
I've staked her up, and wrapped a bit of electrical tape around the stem with a dab of aloe.
If she doesn't recover I have just enough time to start another auto seed. I'll be looking around some journals today to see which usually takes the least time to finish. 100 days from today would take us to about mid-October, so an indica dominant auto is probably best, if it comes to that.

That’s beyond any bending or breaking I have done, I hope you can get her going again Mel. Normally the tape should help keep the connective tissue’s together and she be up and running in less then a couple days.

That’s beyond any bending or breaking I have done, I hope you can get her going again Mel. Normally the tape should help keep the connective tissue’s together and she be up and running in less then a couple days.
I hope so, but the only break worse than this I've seen is when my buddy dropped a light on his plant.
The other possible issue will be infection.
If the rabbit did this it probably bit through the stem. The bacteria in its mouth could be problematic.
I've had that happen with houseplants the cat chewed on.

I hope so, but the only break worse than this I've seen is when my buddy dropped a light on his plant.
The other possible issue will be infection.
If the rabbit did this it probably bit through the stem. The bacteria in its mouth could be problematic.
I've had that happen with houseplants the cat chewed on.

Hope that rabbit is high as F@ck.

I knew rabbits would be a threat for me this year, seen a bunch around here. I’m a animal lover until you eat my cannabis; then I drop bombs 💣

So 100 days to finish avg? For Autos?
Do you count days or look at pistil/Trichomes to determine chop ETA?

Back
Top Bottom