Thanks Keith!
Looks Fantastic. :thumb:
Hope your doing well my friend.
Just be careful you don't bump the sticks.:Namaste: shame if you broke one.
😎
I'll be careful around them, lol!
I'm planning on putting a frame around her soon. Her structure is still open enough that the wind isn't tipping her over yet, but it's best to be proactive.

Stacey says HI.:ciao::hug:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎
Tell her Hi back!
Loving the training, that’s a smart and great move. makes a lot of sense now.

Great pics too.
:passitleft:
Thanks Dani!

Great idea with the sticks, Mel!
Just be careful you don't bump the sticks.:Namaste: shame if you broke one.

My suggestion, (not that you asked for it:) ) is to shorten the sticks a bit- it just seems hazardous to the plant to have them sticking out that far..might even become an issue in strong winds..

Great idea with the sticks, Mel!

My suggestion, (not that you asked for it:) ) is to shorten the sticks a bit- it just seems hazardous to the plant to have them sticking out that far..might even become an issue in strong winds..
Thanks Carcass!
I actually replaced the top one with my last bamboo skewer before dinner. I was watching her sway in the wind and started to think the dowel was a bit too heavy. If past experience holds up she'll be secured to the ends of the lower dowel in a week or so. The frame should help too.
This was a big part of my usual training method before @Trala showed off your hooks. Before then I used bulldog clips and the same rubber coated gardening wire to pull the lower branches toward the edges of the pot, bending them against metal tent pegs to bring them to the side a bit into gaps. I also started the plants indoors much earlier, so they were a lot sturdier when they got exposed to winds.
Your point is well taken though. It would be really easy to do a lot of damage with one careless move around her.

Gorgeous out there today.

Airmid- day 52
First trichs are starting to show up.
Starting tomorrow I'll take closer shots of her main cola.

Leona- day 41
Taking well to the training.

Desdemona- day 31

Maeve- day 31

Thanks for the excellent pics showing your technique, Mel.
Hope they helped you visualize the process!

Gorgeous out there today.

Airmid- day 52
First trichs are starting to show up.
Starting tomorrow I'll take closer shots of her main cola.

Leona- day 41
Taking well to the training.

Desdemona- day 31

Maeve- day 31

Hope they helped you visualize the process!
Your garden looks great, and the training is cool.

Thanks Keith!

I'll be careful around them, lol!
I'm planning on putting a frame around her soon. Her structure is still open enough that the wind isn't tipping her over yet, but it's best to be proactive.

Tell her Hi back!

Thanks Dani!
I recently seen Jon do something similar but he used 2 small pieces of sticks and put them between the stalk and branches. I was wondering why I never thought of doing it? CL🍀

I recently seen Jon do something similar but he used 2 small pieces of sticks and put them between the stalk and branches. I was wondering why I never thought of doing it? CL🍀
Maybe next year I will try training but not this year to many other things learning this year.

Your garden looks great, and the training is cool.
Thanks Keith!
Thanks Cap!
I started using dowels a few years ago.
I saw a pic on another site of someone using pretty much the same idea to spread out one node, kind of like a flux, and decided to try to adapt it. I used steel rods once, but they got rusty. You have to be careful to switch them out with something stronger for bigger plants. I got lazy and didn't do that last year, and my plants bent the dowels and pulled free of the wire.
Maybe next year I will try training but not this year to many other things learning this year.
What types of training are you interested in?

Thanks Keith!

Thanks Cap!
I started using dowels a few years ago.
I saw a pic on another site of someone using pretty much the same idea to spread out one node, kind of like a flux, and decided to try to adapt it. I used steel rods once, but they got rusty. You have to be careful to switch them out with something stronger for bigger plants. I got lazy and didn't do that last year, and my plants bent the dowels and pulled free of the wire.

What types of training are you interested in?
Low stress I got topping done this year and I have 90/10 sativa plants I do not know if those are the ones I should start with but not this year. Next year for sure. A couple thing at a time.

Welcome back @Krissi Carbone !

Airmid- day 53
Now that her stigmas are turning purple they're starting to look pink in the pics, lol!

Leona- day 42
Hope I can find those longer supports I used for the DV, she's already at the end of the skewer.

Desdemona- day 32
She's grown more in flower than she did in veg!

Maeve- day 32
This is the first time I've had a plant in the ground grow smaller than the same strain in a pot.

Low stress I got topping done this year and I have 90/10 sativa plants I do not know if those are the ones I should start with but not this year. Next year for sure. A couple thing at a time.
Hmm. I've always thought sativas would be better than indicas for LST as they seem bendier to me, and the node spacing looks like it would be easier. But I've never used LST as the main training method either.
I tried a couple times, and it didn't go well. Luckily I used clones from a male to practice it on.

Welcome back @Krissi Carbone !

Airmid- day 53
Now that her stigmas are turning purple they're starting to look pink in the pics, lol!

Leona- day 42
Hope I can find those longer supports I used for the DV, she's already at the end of the skewer.

Desdemona- day 32
She's grown more in flower than she did in veg!

Maeve- day 32
This is the first time I've had a plant in the ground grow smaller than the same strain in a pot.

Hmm. I've always thought sativas would be better than indicas for LST as they seem bendier to me, and the node spacing looks like it would be easier. But I've never used LST ad the main training method either.
I tried a couple times, and it didn't go well. Luckily I used clones from a male to practice it on.
Thank you so much Mel and thank you even more for the tag on this journal! I love your outdoor grows so much, you and Captain are now first on my catch up list! Girls look stellar as per us. Can't wait to go through these 14 pages!

Cool!!! Is it easier and more relaxed to grow outdoors than indoors? :Rasta:

Thank you so much Mel and thank you even more for the tag on this journal! I love your outdoor grows so much, you and Captain are now first on my catch up list! Girls look stellar as per us. Can't wait to go through these 14 pages!
Thanks Krissi!
Take your time! I'm not going anywhere!
Cool!!! Is it easier and more relaxed to grow outdoors than indoors? :Rasta:
Thanks Val!
Outdoor growing is a bit of a mixed bag.
You have to worry about the weather, bugs, animals, and thieves, and you can't decide when to flip the plants aside from light deprivation if they're small enough to do it.
You also have to grow strains with a suitable flowering period for your area. Most pure sativa strains take too long in flower for me to grow outdoors here. By mid-October things are getting dicey. Sometimes the days are still getting up to 20⁰C, and sometimes we're starting to see snow.
On the other hand you don't worry about timers, extraction fans, power bills, and most importantly space. I've had plants up to 2.6 metres tall before.
When things go badly they tend to go really badly, but when things go well the results can be spectacular.
Here's a pic from last year outdoors. October 5th, and with the pots these plants are all around 180cm or more.
20221005_111249.jpg

Airmid- day 54
I'm appreciating her structure a bit more than I was.

Leona- day 43
I swapped out the skewer for a longer one.

Desdemona- day 33
Still doing well.

Maeve- day 33
Looks like we have a SPOG in the making.
She's flowering a little faster than her sister, but has no side branches.

Back
Top Bottom