420's Sherlock Holmes' FFOF Soil, Bakerstreet C.R.E.A.M. Cheese Autoflower, Grow Journal 2019

Again awesome journal guy. May your jars runneth over for all your hard work :blunt:
FD1E5EE3-8688-4F96-BD44-7B79AC79F618.jpeg
3B5B0383-4D84-4512-B71B-23E82D577739.jpeg

June 27 2019 - Update

IMG_20190627_215841.jpg

Bakerstreet #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190627_215906.jpg

Bakerstreet #2 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190627_220029.jpg

C.R.E.A.M. #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190627_220216.jpg

Cheese #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 4/ Week 5 ... Day 32 ... early preflower.
1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 4/ Week 4 ... Day 25 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 4/ Week 4 ... Day 25 ... late veg.

*** Autoflower Stages: 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks preflower, 3 weeks bloom, 4-12 weeks cure

Environment:

RH is running steady around 55%.

Canopy temperature is running between 25°C (77°F) and 27°C (81°F) lights on, and 23°C (73°F) lights off.

CO2 is refreshed frequently when the exhaust fan turns on.

The light is running 20h on (15:00 - 11:00) and 4h off (11:00 - 15:00) .

The light is 53 cm (21") above canopy centered over the 4 plants.

Watering and Feeding:

No watering or feeding today.

Activities:

Refilled the humidifier with water.

LST on all plants.
I am checking the plants twice each day and adjusting the LST because the plants are growing quicker now.
My priority is to expose the growth nodes to light and air because they are going to become colas.

Notes:

I am trying to keep the canopy even.
I am going to let the #quadline branches grow out, and just focus on exposing the growth nodes to light and air.

I am expecting the Bakerstreets to flower by this Saturday June 29, 2019. Come on pistels!

The priority has to be to expose the growth nodes and keep the canopy even.

I am trying to secure the branches better with the ties.

I am trying to develop a pattern of pulling fan leaves away from growth nodes, although I noticed that today I did need to prune a few fan leaves.

Having decided that a little pruning is necessary .... I look directly down on the plant ... and if a fan leaf I have pulled beck or bent returns to block a lower growth node, then I remove only the blades on the fan leaf that are blocking light. I only remove an entire fan leaf if absolutely necessary.

On the Bakerstreets, ... I bent all the inner growth nodes towards the outside of the pot. This frees up space in the center of the plant.

When flowering begins, and I start to let the plant grow vertical, ... I plan to bend the faster growing buds into the center to keep the canopy even.

About a week after flowering begins, and the plant's branches are firming up, I plan to prune a bit ... although it would be nice to see the plant cannibalize as many of the fan leaves as possible naturally.

Lessons Learned:

I was told today by a hydroponic store owner to keep it simple. Soil is for a bit better quality and natural product, while hydroponics and coco are for a bit better yield ... there is a trade off.

I am pretty sure I will do at least one more grow using soil before I switch to coco.

Back to basics with Fox Farm (I always like to review the important stuff periodically):

What does NPK mean? What other nutrients are in your fertilizers?

NPK is a rating system that describes the amount of nitrogen (N), available phosphorus (P₂O₅), and soluble potassium (K₂O) in a fertilizer. The NPK nutrient values are expressed as a percentage of the total weight of the product in the package. As an example, our Happy Frog® Tomato & Vegetable fertilizer has an NPK of 7-4-5.

Nitrogen (N), represented by the first number, is responsible for leafy, green growth and is most important in a plant’s early growth stages. Some plants, like tomatoes, are heavy nitrogen feeders and will quickly deplete the soil of nitrogen if more is not added.

Phosphorus (P), represented by the second number, supports root development, fruiting and flowering. It helps plants transfer energy from one part of the plant to another.

Potassium (K), represented by the third number, helps build strong cellular walls, enabling plants to better fight off disease. It also helps plants withstand extreme weather conditions and plays a role in the synthesis of proteins and starches.

The NPK of organic fertilizers tend to be lower, but that does not make them any less powerful. There’s more to a good fertilizer than the NPK. The organic, biologically active nutrients we use in our organic products have a “functional value” that can’t be measured in a test tube.

Our fertilizers may also include micronutrients such as calcium and magnesium, trace minerals, and beneficial microbes that meet specific plant needs.

What is pH and what is the ideal pH?

pH measures the acidity or alkalinity of a soil, growing media or nutrient solution. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, a pH above 7 is alkaline, and a pH below 7 is considered acidic. Some plants thrive in an acid or alkaline environment, but many common garden plants prefer a near neutral pH. If a plant is in an environment that is too acid or too alkaline for its particular needs, it will be unable to access the nutrients in the soil, growing media or nutrient solution, regardless of the amount of fertilizer you use.

You can buy a simple home test kit to measure the pH of your soil, growing media or nutrient solution, and then you can adjust the pH accordingly. Acid soils can be neutralized with calcium or agricultural lime, and alkaline soils can be corrected with sulfur or with regular applications of mulch or aged manure. It is important to make these adjustments gradually to avoid shocking plants, and in general we encourage you to choose plants that naturally do well with your soil type. The nutrient solution in your hydroponic system can be adjusted with a pH up or down solution.

Our fertilizers and soils are pH-adjusted to meet the needs of your plants. For instance, our Happy Frog® Fertilizer for acid loving plants like rhododendrons and azaleas is pH-adjusted for flowering shrubs that prefer an acidic environment. In general, hydroponic systems work well at a pH of 5.8 – 6.0, and soils and growing media will support a wide variety of plants with a pH of 6.6 – 6.8.

ToDo:

Learn more about growing in coco vs soil.

Learn more about growing during flower and the stretching of colas.

Learn more about perpetual grows and when to germinate the next seeds.

Learn more about growing roots: Root Excellurator, Great White Mycorrhizae, Sensizyme, Voodoo Juice.

June 28 2019 - Update

IMG_20190628_165431.jpg

Bakerstreet #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190628_165507.jpg

Bakerstreet #2 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190628_170331.jpg

C.R.E.A.M. #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air.

IMG_20190628_170959.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 33 ... early preflower.
1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 5/ Week 4 ... Day 26 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 5/ Week 4 ... Day 26 ... late veg.

*** Autoflower Stages: 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks preflower, 3 weeks bloom, 4-12 weeks cure

Environment:

Canopy temperature is running between 25°C (77°F) and 27°C (81°F) lights on, and 23°C (73°F) lights off.

Watering and Feeding:

Activities:

LST on all plants.
I am checking the plants twice each day and adjusting the LST because the plants are growing quicker now.
My priority is to expose the growth nodes to light and air because they are going to become colas.

Notes:

I am trying to keep the canopy even.
I am going to let the #quadline branches grow out, and just focus on exposing the growth nodes to light and air.

I am expecting the Bakerstreets to flower by this Saturday June 29, 2019. Come on pistels!

I am going to let the Bakerstreets grow vertical now and supercrop the inner buds towards the middle of the plant if necessary.

I am getting better at #quadlining. I can see now how the early growth nodes will grow vertically quite a bit if they are not tied down well enough. I have also discovered how important it is to prune some of the older fan leaves near the emerging growth nodes. Over a few days, if left alone, some fan leaves block out the newly emerging growth nodes.

Lessons Learned:

Having read the following article, ... How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule ... I am interested in some of the products mentioned for germination and early veg which will stimulate root growth and also find out if they can be applied to soil:

HESI SuperVit:

0_supervit.jpg

SuperVit is a highly concentrated solution of plant-active vital elements, which are produced naturally by fungi. SuperVit replaces the function of the fungi and makes the plant less dependent of climatic conditions. The plants can optimally process the light offered (more photosynthesis). This starts the growth of a strong and healthy plant, and strong flowering shoots form.

House & Garden Roots Excelurator Gold

0_roots-excelurator1-364x400.jpg

Is the most popular root stimulator available in today’s market. It works by providing the perfect conditions for root growth.

Packaged in a gold aluminum canister to preserve organic ingredients and beneficial biology. Use Roots Excelurator in all mediums during the vegetative and early flowering stages.

Great White Mycorrhizae

0_great_white.jpg

Killer Roots – Killer Plants! Plant Success Great White Mycorrhizae contains carefully selected mycorrhizal fungi plus beneficial bacteria well suited to a variety of soils, climates and plants. In nature, these microorganisms thrive in and on plant roots and greatly enhance plant growth and vigor.

Features:
• 7 species Endomycorrhizae & 11 species Ectomycorrhizae
• 67,000 Endo & 1.5 billion Ecto Propagules per lb.
• 19 species Bacteria/ 2 species Trichoderma
• Biostimulant & Vitamin Package

Advanced Nutrients VooDoo Juice

0_voodoo_juice.jpg

Your plants’ roots are like buried treasure when you discover how easy it is to maximize their function and to achieve optimum harvests.

You take care of your roots by utilizing their ability to form symbiotic relationships with beneficial fungi and bacteria. These relationships help your roots intake nutrients.

Beneficial microbes break down old root material, and provide nutrition.

On top of that, microbes provide aeration so oxygen can reach further to penetrate more into roots. They also capture nitrogen and help make phosphorus more available, which you are aware of as essential, major nutrients for your plants.

Advanced Nutrients Sensizym

0_sensizym.jpg

Your plants’ roots help you maximize your gardens yield when you give them a root zone filled with active enzymes that break down debris and promote nutrient absorption.

It goes without saying that your garden benefits from a convenient enzyme formula that breaks down dead material from your root zone, which creates reusable nutrition for your plants so you save money.

ToDo:

Again awesome journal guy. May your jars runneth over for all your hard work :blunt:
FD1E5EE3-8688-4F96-BD44-7B79AC79F618.jpeg
3B5B0383-4D84-4512-B71B-23E82D577739.jpeg
William your garden looks fantastic! Nice work.
And SQ12k - you’re doing great! You’ve obviously got dungeon master skills with all that bondage going on. I really like reading your detailed notes and seeing your thought processes unfolding.
You’re making a great journal.

June 29 2019 - Update

IMG_20190629_221447.jpg

Bakerstreet #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air. Notice the lower fan leaf is being cannibalized by the plant ... it is hungry.

IMG_20190629_221427.jpg

Bakerstreet #2 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air. Notice I bent the inner growth nodes to slow their growth.

IMG_20190629_221347.jpg

C.R.E.A.M. #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air. Notice the light green growth nodes.

IMG_20190629_221334.jpg

Cheese #1 - Looks healthy so far - growth nodes are exposed to light and air. Notice after topping how I effectively have six lines now instead of 4.

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 5/ Week 5 ... Day 34 ... early preflower.
1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 5/ Week 4 ... Day 27 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 5/ Week 4 ... Day 27 ... late veg.

Environment:

Watering and Feeding:

pH: 7.14
ppm: 732

Bakerstreet # 1: 2.1 litres (0.55 gallons)
Bakerstreet # 2: 2.1 litres (0.55 gallons)
C.R.E.A.M. # 1: 2.1 litres (0.55 gallons)
Cheese # 1: 2.1 litres (0.55 gallons)

Watering and feeding is done 1 hour after the lights turn on ... so the roots have been stimulated to draw nutrients up.

I got this free sample packet from a store I visited today. It is a soil amendment so I thought I'd give it a try before the plants go into bloom:

IMG_20190629_162534.jpg

*** I did a Veg feeding (more N and less PK) today instead of a Flower feeding. I did not want the branches hardening up more during veg.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

I cleaned out the tent before the flowers go into bloom. This is my cleaning product of choice:

IMG_20190629_204905.jpg

Notes:

The Bakerstreets did NOT flower today! Come on Pistels! Really!

I am letting the Bakerstreets grow up while bending the inner (taller) growth nodes to slow their growth. I want the outer (shorter) growth nodes to catch up in growing.

I am being very careful with bending. It is like tightening a screw ... you need to learn when to stop or it will strip. When I bend the branch, I can feel it resisting more and more ... I also see the color lighten from green to light green ... which means I need to stop bending.

I am getting better at pruning to help the smaller growth nodes develop. During the next feed I think I will put the clippings in a blender and feed them back to the plant:

IMG_20190629_205445.jpg

Lessons Learned:

A huge lesson today that I hope I remember forever: I soaked the Bokashi Pro-Grow for about two hours and used the liquid as a basis for the rest of my feed today. In 1 litre (0.25 gallons) of water, the Bokashi Pro-Grow pH was 4.26 and the ppm was 1232. Well, I diluted the liquid into my normal 6 litres of feed, ... BUT ... I put the solid residue right onto the plants ... forgetting the solid residue had a pH of 4.26. Ouch!

I then fed on top of this ... soooo ... the feed may have gone acidic when it went into the soil.

I will watch things carefully tonight and flush if necessary. Doh!!!

My Good Green - Bokashi Pro-Gro

0_PRO-GROWPackage3-350x450.png

My Good Green™ Bokashi Pro-Gro is an organic, high quality soil amendment that was developed to help replenish your soil. Today’s synthetic approach to fertilizers has led to depleted nutrient and mineral density in our soil. Bokashi Pro-Gro™ will give your soil everything necessary to create a sustainable micro ecology that will continue to feed the soil, and in turn your crops without the need for additional chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides.

You’ll see healthier plants with increased nutrient density, increased flavour, colour and yield, increased uptake of organic matter and reduced watering and nutrient costs. Plus, the runoff is beneficial to the environment.

ToDo:

You’re paying good attention to detail with the sprinkle of solids you’ll be fine. Do you think your soil is depleted?
Good geometry on bakerstreet!
Give dr watson a pat from me. :)

You’re paying good attention to detail with the sprinkle of solids you’ll be fine. Do you think your soil is depleted?
Good geometry on bakerstreet!
Give dr watson a pat from me. :)
Hey @DonkeyDick ... No ... I don't think my soil is depleted ... I just wanted to try something another grower and store owner said they loved. If I can replenish my soil organically while the inorganic nutrients are hurting the soil ... then that works for me.

In the future, I will make sure to buy completely organic nutrients so the roots have a beautiful home to flourish in.

Dr. Watson is wagging his tail and saying hi :)

June 30 2019 - Update

IMG_20190630_180200.jpg

IMG_20190630_180222.jpg

IMG_20190630_180448.jpg

IMG_20190630_180506.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day 35 ... week 4 veg.

*** Photoperiod Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 2-8 weeks veg, 6-12 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 7/ Week 4 ... Day 28 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 7/ Week 4 ... Day 28 ... late veg.

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks preflower, 3 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

Environment:

Watering and Feeding:

Activities:

LST on all plants.

I decided to try to turn the accidental break into a clone:

IMG_20190630_193300.jpg

I put soil into a small plastic cup with holes in the bottom and then wet the soil down. I sprinkled Stim-Root around a small hole in the soil, dipped the stem into Stim-Root and then planted the cutting into the hole. I made up 1 litre (0.26 gallons) of seedling feed with a pH of 6.38 and a ppm of 236. I then sprayed the cutting with the feed.

I bumped the tent RH back up to 70% to help the cutting.

Notes:

I expect the C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese to flower by this Saturday July 06, 2019. Come on pistels!

I am letting the Bakerstreets grow upwards while bending the inner (taller) growth nodes to slow their growth. I want the outer (shorter) growth nodes to catch up in growing.

I had one casualty today; that is, I broke one main growth node and then taped it up. Hopefully it can be saved.

The bending really didn't slow the inner (taller) growth nodes, so as a new strategy I am pruning the inner (taller) growth nodes' fan leaves to slow them down. If this doesn't work, then I will supercrop them.

Maybe my strategy should be to leave the fan leaves on and supercrop as a default. Time and practice will tell me what works best.

The Bakerstreets are photoperiods.

The Bakerstreets' canopy height is approximately 10 cm (4").

I will flip the lights to 12/12 when the Bakerstreet canopy height is about 36 cm (14"). For details, please refer to the June 30, 2019 Update Lessons Learned section.

Lessons Learned:

The Bakerstreets are photoperiod plants and not autoflower plants. So, I need to decide when to flip them into 12/12 to bloom, and if I am going to take clones. I might as well practice while I have the opportunity!

How long to Veg Photoperiods?

By rmoltis at THCFarmer:

Try not to focus so much on when.

You will have to judge based on height and observed growth rates over time.

People say 2x-3x stretch.
So with your final planned pot size.
Put them in the room and measure from the top of said pots to the maximum vertical distance with the planned buffer for heat between the lights and canopy.

Once total vertical height is measured either divide it by 2 to get your ideal flowering height for a slow growing plant.
Or divide by 3 for ideal height for a fast growing plant.

You could also just err on the side of 3x growth to be on the side of caution.

By @SQl2kGuy :

For example:

I have 72" tent - 12" pot - 12" buffer - 6" light = 42" total vertical height.
The canopy height can be 42" / 2 = 21" for a slow grower.

The canopy height can be 42" / 3 = 14" for a fast grower.

Therefore to err on the side of caution, I should flip to 12/12 when the canopy height is 36 cm (14").

ToDo:

Learn more about foliar feeding.

My Thoughts On Handling The Photoperiods In This Grow
Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 7/ Week 5 ... Day 35 ... week 4 veg.

*** Photoperiod Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 2-8 weeks veg, 6-12 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 7/ Week 4 ... Day 28 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 7/ Week 4 ... Day 28 ... late veg.

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks preflower, 3 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure

The Strategy

The Photoperiods are 4 weeks into veg.
The Autoflowers are 3 weeks into veg and have 6 weeks of growth left.

Continue to let the Photoperiods grow upwards and top them to force more growth nodes.
The Autoflowers are going to go into flower and stretch upwards naturally in about two weeks.

Flip the Photoperiods to 12/12 once the Autoflowers have developed their buds in about 2 weeks.

Great journal @SQl2kGuy, pistels will be along soon enough.

July 01 2019 - Update

Happy Canada Day

IMG_20190701_195238.jpg

IMG_20190701_195247.jpg

IMG_20190701_195302.jpg

IMG_20190701_195310.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 1/ Week 6 ... Day 36 ... week 5 veg.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 1/ Week 5 ... Day 29 ... late veg.
1 Cheese: Day 1/ Week 5 ... Day 29 ... late veg.

Environment:

RH is running steady around 70%.

Watering and Feeding:

*** The plants will need watering and feeding tomorrow.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Notes:

I expect the C.R.E.A.M. and the Cheese to flower by this Saturday July 06, 2019. Come on pistels!

I am letting the Bakerstreets grow upwards while bending the inner (taller) growth nodes to slow their growth. I want the outer (shorter) growth nodes to catch up in growing.

I will flip the lights to 12/12 when the Bakerstreet canopy height is about 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

Lessons Learned:

I made up a light veg feed to apply to the clones; but I also want to apply a foliar feed daily at lights out so I get used to this technique and then I can apply feeds during the flower stage to increase bud density.

How And When To Use Foliar Spraying

By @RoyalQueenSeeds:

A foliar spray provides a fast and effective way to address nutrient deficiencies. It is also the most common way to apply insecticides and fungicides.

Foliar feeding, can be a very effective way of supplementing nutrients in the short-term. It is particularly effective if you want to provide your plants with secondary nutrients like magnesium or calcium. It is also a very beneficial way to provide zinc, iron, manganese and other micronutrients to your plants.

What makes foliar feeding so special and an excellent way to address any type of nutrient deficiency is that spraying is much faster compared to applying nutrients to the soil via irrigation. The majority of the nutrients that you spray directly on your plants' leaves will be absorbed in a very short time. The plants will also take in a much higher percentage of the nutrients this way. Studies have shown that foliar feeding is as much as 95% effective. This means plants take in almost all nutrients administered by spray, while they uptake a smaller percentage when fed through the soil.

In addition to speed, foliar feeding has also other positive effects. When the plant is taking in nutrients via its foliage, this causes it to give off more carbohydrates into their root zone. This is beneficial for the microorganisms in the growing substrate that help assist with nutrient uptake.

One other benefit of foliar feeding nutrients is that it entirely forgoes the potential problem of nutrient build-up in the soil. Accumulated minerals, salts, and nutrients is a very common problem with cannabis growing. When this happens, the pH of the soil is usually off, which leads to nutrient lockout.

ToDo:

yield=light
Hey it's @Hdinkleman ... good to see you again.

"yield=light" ... this is so true ... light is critical !!! ... and the more I get into this grow ... the more I learn about how roots, soil, RH, canopy temperature, CO2, LST, topping, supercropping, foliar, nutrients, lumens, experience, phenotype ... I honestly had no idea 2 months ago just how much there is to learn about growing cannabis and how everything fits together to get a great yield.

Talk again soon amigo!

Hey it's @Hdinkleman ... good to see you again.

"yield=light" ... this is so true ... light is critical !!! ... and the more I get into this grow ... the more I learn about how roots, soil, RH, canopy temperature, CO2, LST, topping, supercropping, foliar, nutrients, lumens, experience, phenotype ... I honestly had no idea 2 months ago just how much there is to learn about growing cannabis and how everything fits together to get a great yield.

Talk again soon amigo!

great grow journal. i was doing the same kind if thing in a notebook before i got online. i got lazy though after a while documenting.

i am gonna keep watch, keep up the good work!!

July 02 2019 - Update

IMG_20190703_000201.jpg

IMG_20190703_000216.jpg

IMG_20190703_000235.jpg

IMG_20190703_000250.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 2/ Week 6 ... Day 37 ... week 5 veg.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 2/ Week 5 ... Day 30 ... early preflower.
1 Cheese: Day 2/ Week 5 ... Day 30 ... early preflower.

Environment:

The light is running 18h on (17:00 - 11:00) and 6h off (11:00 - 17:00) .

Watering and Feeding:

I was surprised ... no watering or feeding today.

*** The plants will likely need watering and feeding tomorrow.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

I set the light schedule back to 18/6 in preparation for flipping to 12/12 in a few weeks.

Topped some of the stems on the Bakerstreets.

Notes:

I will flip the lights to 12/12 when the Bakerstreet canopy height is about 36 cm (14"). For detailed calculations on how I determined the canopy height, please refer to the ... June 30, 2019 - Update ... Lessons Learned section here: How long to Veg Photoperiods

I am currently topping the Bakerstreets ... notably the ends of the 4 lines to double up on the colas.

I am wondering if I top the stems in the middle of the Bakerstreets, (the stems closest to the center of the plant), if that will also double up the colas. I am noticing new growth on the stem where I accidentally broke off the one top a few days ago ... I hope that stem grows a cola.

I am taking the tops I prune, dipping them in Stim-Root, and then putting them into plastic cups. I am hoping they will actually grow roots like a normal clone would.

If the toppings actually do grow roots, then I plan to transplant the toppings (clones) into 2 litre (2 quart) pop bottles and try a mini SOG with them.

I might as well try and grow a single primary cola in each pop bottle while I have the opportunity!

This is my first grow ... I am having fun trying new things ... and if things work out ... then great!!! Otherwise ... hey I learned something that doesn't work ... it is all fun and learning in the end!

Lessons Learned:

Bigger Cannabis Yields With Super Cropping

By @RQS

Quite simply super cropping involves snapping the bud bearing branches just below the flower cluster. When done well the bud will lie to one side and expose one side of the flower cluster to the light. The bud may seem disturbingly unsupported, but the plant will rally overnight. The idea is to expose the complete length of the bud to light. In this way the whole of each florette of calyxes gets more light during the flower cycle, rather than being shaded by its neighbours. More light means more growth which means more flowers and resin.

0_Inner-Cropping-2.jpg

Softening the internal hurd and exterior fibres first makes the branch more pliable and easily bent. Apply a slight pressure while pinching the branch between thumb and forefinger. Not enough to crush it, but enough to show it who’s boss. Roll gently between your finger and thumb. You will instinctively feel the structure succumb. Young green material softens and bends easily. Older woody or scarred branches need a bit more coaxing. Don’t overdo it and turn it to mush, just noticeably weaken the spot.

ToDo:

Learn more about topping and pruning stems.

July 03 2019 - Update

IMG_20190703_220225.jpg

IMG_20190703_220248.jpg

IMG_20190703_220327.jpg

IMG_20190703_220356.jpg

Growth Stage:

2 Bakerstreets: Day 3/ Week 6 ... Day 38 ... week 5 veg.

1 C.R.E.A.M.: Day 3/ Week 5 ... Day 31 ... early pre-flower.
1 Cheese: Day 3/ Week 5 ... Day 31 ... early pre-flower.

*** Autoflower Stages: 5 days Germination, 1 week seedling, 3 weeks veg, 3 weeks pre-flower, 3-6 weeks flower, 4-12 weeks cure
*** Pistels show up after about 35 days (5 weeks) and flowering takes about 56 days (8 weeks)

Environment:

The light is running 18h on (17:00 - 11:00) and 6h off (11:00 - 17:00) .

Watering and Feeding:

I was surprised ... no watering or feeding again today.

*** The plants will get watering and feeding tomorrow.

*** The last watering and feeding was done on July 29, 2019 ... 4 days ago.

Activities:

LST on all plants.

Notes:

Lessons Learned:

Topping & Pruning & Quadlining ... Oh My!

In my current grow I am doing quadlining ... which is four horizontal branches off the main vertical stem. We force the branches (lines) to grow horizontally because the light is fixed above. As the four branches grow outwards, they spawn new pairs of branches which I try to force to grow upwards. Each new vertical branch coming off a horizontal line will be able to support a single cola when it flowers. I try to keep all the ends of the vertical branches at the same height (even canopy) to give consistent growth/light to each cola and prevent shading.

Right now I am about 2 weeks from flipping to 12/12 ... so I am "topping" the end of each of the four lines. This means that I will have eight colas instead of four growing upwards at the end of the lines.

The trick really is to bend the inner branches to let the outer branches get to the same height (even canopy).

I now understand, that I can "top" any of the vertical branches coming off the four horizontal branches (lines) to get two new vertical branches.

Got it ... a branch is a branch is a branch ... whether vertical or horizontal ... and topping has the same effect everywhere.

It's just really important for me to understand the process ... and not just do something. That way, I can plan and control the growth of the plant better.

ToDo:

Learn more about topping and pruning stems.

Looking good Squeak! I’d say you’ve done a great job on the LST and it’s time to let them reach. There will be less and less hands-on for you to do as they progress through their life cycles. When I flipped mine I was surprised to experience a degree of (grief? sadness? May have just been itchy, hard to tell) that my girls were growing up.
The more you leave them alone now, the bigger they will be in the end.
Nice looking plants :yummy:
Loving Dr Watson on the avatar :love:

Back
Top Bottom