36Gr0w's First Journal - Hi-Brix - LOS - Indoor & Out!

Sweetsue, can you SWICK with a drench?

I just cut the volume of my drenches back to be more concentrated. Alternatively you can move the pots off the SWICK for drenching, if you want to saturate to run-off, but my pots are too heavy for me to do so and I'm with you - plants want to be left alone. I personally believe that with evenly hydrated soil the biota are quite capable of taking my concentrated drench and work it through the whole community as needed. It is, after all, what they do so well.

When you no-till the connections throughout the pot - it's so akin to how the human body works - become stronger the longer you leave everything undisturbed. It all runs more efficiently. The even hydration is instrumental to that. In the same way our body systems are enhanced by proper hydration, the soil community works it's magic using those available water molecules. Just about everything on this blue marble of ours works using water.

We should be more careful with our water.

Added 3 gallons to the kiddie pool swick. Coconut watering from up to. Purple Sour D has a little droop, and I don't think the cuttings with root nubbings will make it. My bet is I was to rough taking them out of the Rockwell cubes. Green Crack that I accidentally topped during transplant has a bit of droop as well, but the cutting placed in the 45gal with a mason jar on top is still perky.

Got hot in there again today, gonna have to work out a solution.

Day after transplant. Notice the slight drooping of the Purple SD in the middle? Bouncing back a bit after the watering.
20150406_181010-1.jpg

Added 3 gallons to the kiddie pool swick. Coconut watering from up to. Purple Sour D has a little droop, and I don't think the cuttings with root nubbings will make it. My bet is I was to rough taking them out of the Rockwell cubes. Green Crack that I accidentally topped during transplant has a bit of droop as well, but the cutting placed in the 45gal with a mason jar on top is still perky.

Got hot in there again today, gonna have to work out a solution.

I grow them to flower originally rooted in a single rock wool cube. No need to tear the roots.

This is one of the coolest things I have seen on here yet. :high-five:

Assuming you manage to keep the drenches mostly out of the swick part how often does the perlight need cleaned out and or replaced? I really want to do this but the thought of needing to clean or change all that perlight is the only thing holding me back. :passitleft:

This is one of the coolest things I have seen on here yet. :high-five:

Assuming you manage to keep the drenches mostly out of the swick part how often does the perlight need cleaned out and or replaced? I really want to do this but the thought of needing to clean or change all that perlight is the only thing holding me back. :passitleft:

Smokey, new thread on SWICKs. Link in my sig. I'm going to answer your questions there, if you don't mind.

Gotta say, I'm loving the swick so far. I had my doubts with the depth of the 45gal, but other than the top inch or so(which dries out without mulch), everything including the 45 gal is staying perfectly hydrated. There was no water left at the bottom of my pool when I finally got in from the yard after work. No problem, the perlite seems to hold enough moisture; I'm still not at risk for drying out my swick for a few days, then the plants have time after that before they really dry out. Seems like a great buffer so far. I'm not leaving town without knowing this works, and so far no reasons to believe it won't. Roots haven't even reached the res yet and I'm seeing great lateral growth and nice big leaves. Thai Stick and Chocolate Thai are looking great. Chocolate Thai has a great fragrance to get already. I'm stoked.

Mulch!

Cool, man.

I'm digging your set up. I'm gonna follow suit with the SWICK concept I think. Any ideas of a cheap rectangular 4X6 ' (ish) container to hold the perlite in?

Gotta say, I'm loving the swick so far. I had my doubts with the depth of the 45gal, but other than the top inch or so(which dries out without mulch), everything including the 45 gal is staying perfectly hydrated. There was no water left at the bottom of my pool when I finally got in from the yard after work. No problem, the perlite seems to hold enough moisture; I'm still not at risk for drying out my swick for a few days, then the plants have time after that before they really dry out. Seems like a great buffer so far. I'm not leaving town without knowing this works, and so far no reasons to believe it won't. Roots haven't even reached the res yet and I'm seeing great lateral growth and nice big leaves. Thai Stick and Chocolate Thai are looking great. Chocolate Thai has a great fragrance to get already. I'm stoked.

You won't have any problem leaving town. One of your smartest moves IMHO, and by George, you make a lot of smart moves 36Gr0w!

Back
Top Bottom