Yeatster's Grow Box Journal - Jack Herer Auto - LED - 2016

I agree,

I snapped 2 branches 2 weeks ago. Same as Cannafan, they were fine when I left, next day I found the breaks. They healed with a big knuckle where the break was and it's doing fine now, but you do want to go carefully. I only tug on mine about 6-8 hours after a fresh watering to make sure they are as pliable as they can get.

It certainly opened them up! :) Be careful how tight you push them, you don't want a snap of a branch. Easy does it.

I did this once, after leaving the grow room for a couple hours, I came back to find a branch had snapped from the stress while I was gone.
They look like they're doing fine.

Interested to see what everyone else thinks on it with these being autos.

:circle-of-love:

I agree,

I snapped 2 branches 2 weeks ago. Same as Cannafan, they were fine when I left, next day I found the breaks. They healed with a big knuckle where the break was and it's doing fine now, but you do want to go carefully. I only tug on mine about 6-8 hours after a fresh watering to make sure they are as pliable as they can get.

Okay, now I'm nervous.
They did seem rather pliable. They have been overwatered,hopefully that helps but...should I let up a bit or sit back and chill?

Great suggestion about the lengths of coat hanger, Canna. I saw Pigeons do that a grow or so ago, and I tried it too -- really helped. It's hard doing LST with super bushy plants :) I found it sometimes took quite a long coat hanger staple to hold down some of the more robust branches!

She doesn't look that uncomfortable Yeats -- she's quite young and flexible. I echo what others have said and suggest you just watch and see. She will reorient herself with vegetation towards the light soon enough.

Oh, and autos definitely stretch, too! I can't compare them to photos (cause I don't know photos) but there's a good amount of stretch right after the pre flowers show.

Great job!

They looked great on LST mate the suggestion of Cannafan to loosen up a bit if you don't feel safe is very good you can always re place them lower later. I believe that the earlier the better and bushier for LST. I also wanted to tell you about a technique you can use before tying them down. You can gently massage
a little bit at the spot you want the branch to curl at the direction you like. after 2 mins you will see the branch ''fall'' in the direction you massaged it. Then you can tight it down. The branch will recover in a couple of hours. A friend grower showed me on my plants and he did it really harsh. I was like ''stop you are gonna break them'', but they recovered maybe less than 2 hours later. :cheer:

rtk, I know you are here, and I trust your judgment on this as well.
Please don't be shy. You are miles ahead of me on this.
Peace

Sorry Yeatster, I only really get a chance to read and thank/like posts during the workday, sporadically. I thought they looked just about perfect to me. With this procedure you've now leapfrogged me bud, and it looks like you've got a great crew of advisers on the day shift!

:high-five:

For our second journal auto girls, I was just doing manual LST at this age as gyftobill describes below, gently bending and spinning the branch between thumb and first two fingers and placing it where I wanted, and redoing it daily if not more. Jaybiz did some wiring down to the soil with his Crown Royale, and I likely will so some next time as well. I've also been trying to make sure the branch stays flat so the eventual buds are level, rather than having one underneath and one on top.

I would probably just wait and see. They are young and more flexible than mine was when I brought down the carnage on those 2 branches.
If your worried, I would shine a flashlight down on top of the stem where it connects to the stalk and see if it looks like it is splitting.

When I look back on the picture, it does not seem like they are under that much strain, I was pulling on branches that were like 8" long.

That was my thought as well, Yeatseter's are so young here you can pretty much do whatever you want with them. I think of them like a fibre optic cable, as long as you keep a radius it's all good.

It's once they get woody that you can't really do too much with them other than look towards a supercrop I guess.

While waiting on arteekay, they don't really look strained to me either, but if it would make you feel better just pull up on the wires a little to be absolutely sure.
You can always adjust later as the limbs get used to the new direction.

Great advice, particularly not waiting on my opinion. My biggest skills are being anal and obsessive, and verbose. :)

Great suggestion about the lengths of coat hanger, Canna. I saw Pigeons do that a grow or so ago, and I tried it too -- really helped. It's hard doing LST with super bushy plants :) I found it sometimes took quite a long coat hanger staple to hold down some of the more robust branches!

She doesn't look that uncomfortable Yeats -- she's quite young and flexible. I echo what others have said and suggest you just watch and see. She will reorient herself with vegetation towards the light soon enough.

Oh, and autos definitely stretch, too! I can't compare them to photos (cause I don't know photos) but there's a good amount of stretch right after the pre flowers show.

Great job!

I've had two that almost refused to stop stretching during the first stage of flowering! I begged and pleaded even.

3 gallons Canna. I wish I had filled them more, I hadn't taken into account the settling of such a light medium (promix + 20% more perlite)

We did exactly the same thing on our first four in 3 gallon round plastic nursery pots. I then overcorrected on the second two airpots which made it painful to water them for the last two months. Guess it's a skill in of itself.

rtk, if I came across as demanding and needy, I deeply apologize. Wasn't my intention.
I wasn't necessarily waiting on you.
I respect your input, and no matter how humble a grower you are, your plants speak for themselves. I respect and value, any and all advice/comments from you, sir.
Thanks man!

You didn't come off as either, no worries at all. I'm deeply moved that you'd value my opinion so highly, Thank you!

And thanks for the compliments on my plants, I'm quite in love with them. :)

How are they looking now, after yesterday's training? Fighting back I hope? Obstinate little things some times....

You didn't come off as either, no worries at all. I'm deeply moved that you'd value my opinion so highly, Thank you!

And thanks for the compliments on my plants, I'm quite in love with them. :)

How are they looking now, after yesterday's training? Fighting back I hope? Obstinate little things some times....

I bet they yanked those tie downs out overnight! LOL

Yah, what arteekay asked....how they looking today? Talking back at you?

They are actually looking rather wilted.
Not sure if this is stress from the bondage or needing water now (I totally need a scale).
The medium is so dry, the hangers won't stay pinned. I guess I water tonight, and see.

Back
Top Bottom