Who Let The Dogs Out? Chem Comparison Grow!

It’s true that you can clone and flower, clone and flower, and clone and flower without keeping mothers, but don’t your harvests stay pretty far apart? Can’t you time your harvests closer together with mothers? Or does it not matter?
With mothers you can keep your harvests two weeks apart no?

Well depends. I run perpetual so not harvesting all plants at the same time. I do that on purpose cause I'm the trimmer.

So lets say I have 4 clone cuts from 1 plant in flower. The VEG clones are ready in VEG all roughly the same time. Say 60 days from first cutting.

I can top the VEG plants I'm not sending into flower. So I can say harvest 2, take 2 out of VEG leave the other 2 in VEG top, in 1-2 weeks they are ready when I chop 2 more.

If that makes any sense.

Problem is when I get more cuts than places in flower. It's hard for me to cull plants unless they are not worthy/sick. Tough choices have to be made.

That's pretty much how I do it with 8-10 plants going perpetual. I don't like being tied to the trim table for extended lengths of time. I trim my flowers like I want to see them for me. So I take the time to do it proper. It takes time. 2 big plants can take me 3+ days full time trim. Thats ruff for me. Thats close to a # (big plants).

S
Well depends. I run perpetual so not harvesting all plants at the same time. I do that on purpose cause I'm the trimmer.

So lets say I have 4 clone cuts from 1 plant in flower. The VEG clones are ready in VEG all roughly the same time. Say 60 days from first cutting.

I can top the VEG plants I'm not sending into flower. So I can say harvest 2, take 2 out of VEG leave the other 2 in VEG top, in 1-2 weeks they are ready when I chop 2 more.

If that makes any sense.

Problem is when I get more cuts than places in flower. It's hard for me to cull plants unless they are not worthy/sick. Tough choices have to be made.

That's pretty much how I do it with 8-10 plants going perpetual. I don't like being tied to the trim table for extended lengths of time. I trim my flowers like I want to see them for me. So I take the time to do it proper. It takes time. 2 big plants can take me 3+ days full time trim. Thats ruff for me. Thats close to a # (big plants).
see I’m thinking of doing a perpetual sog. 2 moms in the veg tent and 24 clones in the flower tent. If I do it I’ll be cutting 6 clones and harvesting six plants every 2 weeks. Doing a sog in 1 gal fabric isn’t a bad idea is it? Not too small?

S

see I’m thinking of doing a perpetual sog. 2 moms in the veg tent and 24 clones in the flower tent. If I do it I’ll be cutting 6 clones and harvesting six plants every 2 weeks. Doing a sog in 1 gal fabric isn’t a bad idea is it? Not too small?

That would be cool to see! I don't have any advice or suggestions, but will be watching and learning.

That would be cool to see! I don't have any advice or suggestions, but will be watching and learning.
:goof:
I know I can fit 25 1 gal fabrics into my small flower tent, and I think they’d be big enough to flower in although they may end up needing water every day near the end of their cycle. Mostly I’m just sick of the slow seedling phase and also the culling of the males.. so painful to cut down half my plants every grow

:goof:
I know I can fit 25 1 gal fabrics into my small flower tent, and I think they’d be big enough to flower in although they may end up needing water every day near the end of their cycle. Mostly I’m just sick of the slow seedling phase and also the culling of the males.. so painful to cut down half my plants every grow

Yikes, that would be frustrating to be culling constantly. As I said, I am certainly no expert, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to consider larger pots (maybe 3 gallon), few numbers? You would need to veg a little longer, but the yield per plant should be significantly higher? Might also mean a little less frequent watering? I am curious about the tradeoff between pot size, time-to-harvest, and ultimate yield (and the work involved to get there).

Yikes, that would be frustrating to be culling constantly. As I said, I am certainly no expert, but I wonder if it would be worthwhile to consider larger pots (maybe 3 gallon), few numbers? You would need to veg a little longer, but the yield per plant should be significantly higher? Might also mean a little less frequent watering? I am curious about the tradeoff between pot size, time-to-harvest, and ultimate yield (and the work involved to get there).
doing 3 gal pots is diametrically opposed to the fundamentals of SoG because I won’t beable to fit nearly as many plants. The idea is high plant count makes longer veg unnecessary. Supposedly doing tiny twig plants like that but doing them in large quantities leads to a larger overall yield for the year. Maybe you’re not pulling down a pound in one harvest, but if you’re getting a quarter pound or 3 oz every 2 weeks in the long run you’re harvesting a lot more weight. Also it would be easy to throw in new strains. Just run some seeds in the little pots with the SoG, take a cutting, see how they smoke and pick a new mom.

I feel like my Cookies n Chem is a really great candidate for SoG. All the clones I’ve ever taken of CnC have rooted fast, and it’s the most vigorous strain I’ve grown. I think this stain would work perfectly in a SoG where the clones only get 30 days to root and veg.

It's been figured out. SOG is the yield winner.
S

I've seen smaller. 1 liter hempy sog. But wow the workload...

It's been figured out. SOG is the yield winner.

I've seen smaller. 1 liter hempy sog. But wow the workload...
Yeah that’s my only concern, it’s a fuck ton of work. Especially that weekend every two weeks that’s going to be harvesting, trimming, taking cuttings, and moving clones... I’m trying to work it out where a couple of the big projects are staggered with the other couple big projects. Like one week is trimming and cloning, and the next week is the up potting and moving or something. I don’t know if that’s possible, it might mess up my timeframes l

doing 3 gal pots is diametrically opposed to the fundamentals of SoG because I won’t beable to fit nearly as many plants. The idea is high plant count makes longer veg unnecessary. Supposedly doing tiny twig plants like that but doing them in large quantities leads to a larger overall yield for the year. Maybe you’re not pulling down a pound in one harvest, but if you’re getting a quarter pound or 3 oz every 2 weeks in the long run you’re harvesting a lot more weight. Also it would be easy to throw in new strains. Just run some seeds in the little pots with the SoG, take a cutting, see how they smoke and pick a new mom.

I feel like my Cookies n Chem is a really great candidate for SoG. All the clones I’ve ever taken of CnC have rooted fast, and it’s the most vigorous strain I’ve grown. I think this stain would work perfectly in a SoG where the clones only get 30 days to root and veg.

Got it! I think I understand better, thank you for taking the time to explain.

I try to talk wife into helping me and it worked once but I guess she didn’t like doing it either lol✌

Lol - yeah they really are good sports about it the first time. When I get the trim trays out. All of a sudden we need to cook or house clean. I get to trade off.

@ChefDGreen,

Small pots will require constant watering specially in flower. I use #1 pots for seedlings.

I'd do #4 square pots if you don't want to water everyday. #3 I water every day and those are VEG plants. I've never flowered anything smaller than a #4.

A lot of pro growers do the #3 squares. Plants will stay reasonably small.

I like big pots because I run organic soil so the more soil the better but I get big tall plants. I'm used to it. :nerd-with-glasses:

My sour diesel seedlings are a little past the 3 week mark . Moved them under a 400w MH yesterday, let the veg begin!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    754.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190725_111329.jpg
    20190725_111329.jpg
    1,012.5 KB · Views: 42
Got it! I think I understand better, thank you for taking the time to explain.
I think once my star pupil comes to harvest and I see how she smokes, that’ll be my other mom.

Lol - yeah they really are good sports about it the first time. When I get the trim trays out. All of a sudden we need to cook or house clean. I get to trade off.

@ChefDGreen,

Small pots will require constant watering specially in flower. I use #1 pots for seedlings.

I'd do #4 square pots if you don't want to water everyday. #3 I water every day and those are VEG plants. I've never flowered anything smaller than a #4.

A lot of pro growers do the #3 squares. Plants will stay reasonably small.

I like big pots because I run organic soil so the more soil the better but I get big tall plants. I'm used to it. :nerd-with-glasses:
i would be doing 1 gal fabric, I dunno what # that is my guess for volume is just under 2L. The two weirdo girls I had in those pots and they got to about 20” tall in 4 weeks. So I’m picturing 24 - 20” clones and yes it will take constant watering

Edit: i will probably just end up filling a 5 gal bucket with water or nute solution and dunking all the pots, much faster... or maybe I could flood my tent drip tray.... hmmm

@Mr. Krip keeps Bonsai moms and has a couple of write ups on keeping bonsai moms and growing bonsai cannabis plants. He is a good person to ask about it.

Not sure about the origin of my cut but I do know it's the Purple Punch 1.0 and not the 2.0 version.

Nice! There are a few people around me that have the original Super Nova Garden cut and I tried to get a cut of it for myself but they would not part with it for less than $250. I decided I did not need her that badly after that lol.

The Chem story I've read has the Colorado boys gettin lbs from Norcal. Called it Dog weed. Took a pound to a Dead show and met the East Coast guys. Sent more lbs to Mass. Seeds were found. Mass Super Skunk and Chem became lovers creating Original Diesel. In later grows, DNL hermied and pollinated Original Diesel, creating the Sour. I think that version is pretty accepted across the board. Thought anyways. Now Og....that one starts arguments. It's not that serious to me though. :ganjamon:

What is DNL?

I know @CareStaker has a legit Chem D cut that he runs and an ECSD cut he runs as well. Maybe we can convince him to drop some pics of them.

Back
Top Bottom