Viparspectra Redux: GDB's Serenity Grow

I'll be scoping her quite often during the week. I don't want a bunch of amber to "sneak up" on me!
I actually never heard of amber tricomes sneaking up on anyone. LoL

From first signs of amber tricomes, it normally takes me 2-3 more weeks to get em ripe. Surely not a quick process IMO

Granted, I shoot for 25%-ish amber, but it's definitely never an overnight thing.

From first signs of amber tricomes, it normally takes me 2-3 more weeks to get em ripe. Surely not a quick process IMO

Granted, I shoot for 25%-ish amber, but it's definitely never an overnight thing.
You are probably right, Preston.

I forgot to factor in the zooted-grower index value. It can make 5-6 days seem like overnight. Especially if the zooted grower is not paying attention! :)

I'll be scoping her quite often during the week. I don't want a bunch of amber to "sneak up" on me!
How's that old saying go?
"A watched trichome never ambers" ...or something like that.. 🤔
FF looks almost ripe to me...
And the phase II girls just look happy!

How's that old saying go?
"A watched trichome never ambers" ...or something like that.. 🤔
FF looks almost ripe to me...
And the phase II girls just look happy!
Ha!

"A watched pot never boils" is actually close to your saying, depending on how you define pot!

The Phase II girls are happy as am I! :Rasta:

At this many days in, it will be fun watching the bud fill in between those nodes on the tall stalks. :cheesygrinsmiley: :bong:
Thanks GWH. I like having fun! :)

Highya GDB,

Love those trichome pictures! A good bit of ambers, but one pic has a lot of clear ones. Wonder what's going on there? Makes it hard to know when to harvest if the standard is always changing! I see what you mean - the difference between the FB's and Sour G. I grew a Gorilla Glue this year, and she was the smallest/shortest one. all the rest towered 7 ft+. So much difference between strains. Love those trichome shots! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode.

I took my last 2 plants a little early I think, so with this one I'm going to let her get more amber (but not too much!). Hopefully they will make for a nice cocktail! :Rasta:

I've learned to watch the leaves pretty close. When they're all about yellow your getting somewhere pretty close.

I've learned to watch the leaves pretty close. When they're all about yellow your getting somewhere pretty close.
There's definitely multiple signs of a plant being close to the finish line. Tricomes and pistil development, leaf fade, and how much they are drinking are generally my guidelines.

I think the biggest problem in judging this is the "breeder timeline" for flower that is advertised on these websites. Most breeders will advertise an 8 week strain; from my experience, this is 8 weeks from actual flower, not 8 weeks from flip... Most everything I grow for an 8 week strain, will run 10-11 weeks from flip.

The fear of "couch lock" is strong around these journals, for sure. While there may be a fine line, I think most people will miss out on fully developed terpenes and harvest underdeveloped buds out out of fear from what someone told them opposed to trying it and finding out a few extra amber trics is not instant narcolepsy. LoL

My personal opinion, the couch lock story became an excuse for impatient growers to harvest early.

Everyone has their preferences, I just think growers have gotten into a big ol rush about things and would probably be much happier with the quality of their buds if they waited em out to actually finish.

Just my humble opinion based on trends I see on 420 regularly.... I'm not firing shots.

:passitleft:

There's definitely multiple signs of a plant being close to the finish line. Tricomes and pistil development, leaf fade, and how much they are drinking are generally my guidelines.

I think the biggest problem in judging this is the "breeder timeline" for flower that is advertised on these websites. Most breeders will advertise an 8 week strain; from my experience, this is 8 weeks from actual flower, not 8 weeks from flip... Most everything I grow for an 8 week strain, will run 10-11 weeks from flip.

The fear of "couch lock" is strong around these journals, for sure. While there may be a fine line, I think most people will miss out on fully developed terpenes and harvest underdeveloped buds out out of fear from what someone told them opposed to trying it and finding out a few extra amber trics is not instant narcolepsy. LoL

My personal opinion, the couch lock story became an excuse for impatient growers to harvest early.

Everyone has their preferences, I just think growers have gotten into a big ol rush about things and would probably be much happier with the quality of their buds if they waited em out to actually finish.

Just my humble opinion based on trends I see on 420 regularly.... I'm not firing shots.

I agree 100% on that. Many times one is basically forced to cut, but many other times one could stand to let it go for weeks even. I didn't realize that myself until I finally tried it.

Your general guidelines and mine are the same Preston.

For the most part, I pay no attention to breeder estimates except to use it as a guideline for which different strains might grow well together. But I let the plants tell me when they're ready to be chopped.

The couch-lock thing is real. At least it is for me. I track my grows and my last 20+ grows have averaged 94 days from flip to finish. But most of those plants were heavily ambered at takedown. Hell, I let one strain go so long that I would fall asleep just trying to roll a joint of it!

So I've got a boatload of couch-lock weed on hand and I'm now looking for something different. It's not that I don't like the "sit your ass down" stuff. I do. But, I'd also like something that makes me buzz in the other direction!

Thanks for weighing in Preston! I value the opinion of 420 members. :)

This is where I find myself too. :) It helps to have lots a weed already in the jar. :cheesygrinsmiley::bong: I've got some friends that will pull leaves to smoke and the plant ends up looking like the deer have been feeding on it. :oops: They had no weed in the jar.:hmmmm::rolleyes:

This is where I find myself too. :) It helps to have lots a weed already in the jar. :cheesygrinsmiley::bong: I've got some friends that will pull leaves to smoke and the plant ends up looking like the deer have been feeding on it. :oops: They had no weed in the jar.:hmmmm::rolleyes:
I'm bad for that. I'm a sucker for green bud this time of year. At this point it's pretty much tradition for me to rob my own crop.

Hello growers.

It's Flip + 33 for the Phase II group.

Thankfully, there's nothing to report. The girls are just plugging along at the moment, slurping up water with no issues.

S2 10-17-23 F33 tent.jpg

It's fun observing them grow because the Sour G (front left) is so different from the 2 Fat Bastards. The Sour G is spindly and sports popcorn-like buds while the FBs are bushy girls with more substantive, heavier buds developing.

Hey @marcus611a, per your request, here's a close-up pic of a branch from the Sour G.

Sour G  branch 10-15-53 F31.jpg

------------------------------

In the 4x4 tent, the Serenity group is down to a single remaining plant, the Forbidden Fruit. She's on her Flip + 78.

I scoped her last night and she's about ready for takedown.

FF 10-17-23 F33 trichs (2).jpg
FF 10-17-23 F33 trichs (3).jpg
FF 10-17-23 F33 trichs (1).jpg

--------------------------

I like that, "cloudy w/a few meatballs!"

Extra sauce please! :)

Thanks Shed. Yeah, there was no larf on the Slur. And I see what you meant about the Sour G. She requires constant inspection of her lower regions because she puts out a lot of those little sucker buds. 🧐

---------------------------

That's all I've got.

Thanks for your time.

PEACE
Thank you brother. Excellent job of all your plants the Sour G is going to be thick as hell with buds.

Hello all.

I'm liking the way the Forbidden Fruit looks on her Flip + 79.

I'm going to take her down soon if only because she presents an opportunity for me to have a halfway decent-looking plant at the end!! :)

FF 10-18-23 F79 bud.JPG

PEACE

Back
Top Bottom