Tutorial: Homemade Pipe Made From Your Plant Remains

Kinda looks like a spine. If I go the Wizard route I think I'd need to cut the stem into pieces and then reconnect. I gotta get her outta the dirt and see how much mass there really is there. Yes Shed I'll get another pic of that too...

Definitely plenty of good materials there! :cool:

Going back to the discussion about burning the insides of the pipes. I took a few pics of my most heavily used pipes - probably more then 50 smoke sessions for each. Actually, I had to replace the screen in one of them already due to the resin/tar build up. Most of what you see inside of the bowl is the resin coating.

If I go the Wizard route I think I'd need to cut the stem into pieces and then reconnect.
I suggest you start with something less complicated ;).

Sage advice will stand the test of Thyme...

Well, with the exception of some final touches I think this little bipper is done. I wet sanded and gave another spray of poly. This one is simple, I've always liked the classic look, so my wood working projects tend to reflect that.

Here's a picture of the pipe with my painter assistant holding ready for drying. I use an 'A' clip to hold it all together.

I'ma have to get some screens later on, god I hate going to the smoke shop...

Question, if I'm giving this away as a present can I smoke it first?

Quality control is of the utmost importance!

Nice looking pipe! I like the coloring and shiny coat. :bravo:

Question, if I'm giving this away as a present can I smoke it first?

Quality control is of the utmost importance!
I guess it depends on who you're giving it to. I would just explain that it needed a "burn in" period to help "cure" the wood. ;)

Well Beez yesterday was the day. The dowel pipe is curing up and waiting for a wet sand and then a final spray down with poly. I'm gonna do a burn around the bowl and I shoved a cotton ball in there to during stain and coat. Not sure'n if I'ma smoke it or not though.

Here's the Northern Lights (photo) I just chopped. I know it's gotta dry but I'm hoping there's enough material here to make a go of it.

Hi Agemon, I noticed with mine I left out over winter that it cracked around the areas where the stems come from the main stem. I was thinking it might be a good idea to remove the side stems before they dry too much? Just a thought.

Definitely plenty of good materials there! :cool:

Going back to the discussion about burning the insides of the pipes. I took a few pics of my most heavily used pipes - probably more then 50 smoke sessions for each. Actually, I had to replace the screen in one of them already due to the resin/tar build up. Most of what you see inside of the bowl is the resin coating.

That's an interesting screen Beez. Where do you find them and do you like them better than a brass one?

That's an interesting screen Beez. Where do you find them and do you like them better than a brass one?
To be honest, I didn't give it any thought. My son bought them online - a couple $$ for a pack of 10. They work pretty well and are easy to cut with scissors to fit whatever size I need. I've already had to replace two of them, but probably not the screen's fault. They just got clogged with all that sticky goodness. Maybe the next batch I will look for openings that are a little larger.
another crafty pipe right on brotha:thumb:
:thanks:

If you're just using the straight lower part it will dry faster if you cut it to length now. If you plan on getting into the curve, I'd think it should go in a vice for the drying.

I was eyeballing the pipe, not gonna get crafty on this one. I was thinking about straightening the piece outta bit. Great idea Shed.

Looks like Shed took good care of you in my absence - Thanks Mr. S :thanks:

That is a very gnarly trunk - should give your project nice character. :thumb:

You have a marketable skill here.

Back
Top Bottom