The Mega Crop Thread

Time for an update on my MC girls!!!
I have no skills. No more than the average grower....possibly slightly less. Who can know for sure?? I'm cool with that.
Pro Mix and Mega Crop work. No pHing in hard water. Use a bit of cal-mag earlier because of the Qbs. No other additives or boosters. I have them on hand. Just don't feel I need them. Lights are on full blast!! Growing 2" a day. Crazy chickies.

My best grow yet!!!
Seven days since bud set. I'm happy and my plants are happy. That's what matters the most. IMO.

Disclaimer: plants are a few days older than pics as illustrated by the time stamps.
I injured my ankle and its difficult to stand on a box for pics to get correct color rendition. Just imagine them slightly better looking with puffier puffs. ;)

Hey everyone, hopefully it’s ok I Post this I’m here... curious what you guys think is going on with these plants... my bets on a calcium deficiency but I want to know what you guys think.
4AC74BA6-D54A-4864-A5FB-892EB08066F5.jpeg
22DE3E0A-8E37-41B9-981E-900C22FEFE7F.jpeg

this third picture I have no idea what it could be, the spots on the plant are purple? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

77B8A391-55CA-4ECB-849D-1F75DD923CAF.jpeg
calcium being a non mobile element inside the plants, almost always shows up as little spots on the upper and new growth. This looks more like magnesium to me, but it could be several things. Are you using megacrop or some other nutrients? I am suspecting your incoming pH as a cause of this damage.

Time for an update on my MC girls!!!
I have no skills. No more than the average grower....possibly slightly less. Who can know for sure?? I'm cool with that.
Pro Mix and Mega Crop work. No pHing in hard water. Use a bit of cal-mag earlier because of the Qbs. No other additives or boosters. I have them on hand. Just don't feel I need them. Lights are on full blast!! Growing 2" a day. Crazy chickies.

My best grow yet!!!
Seven days since bud set. I'm happy and my plants are happy. That's what matters the most. IMO.

Disclaimer:plants are a few days older than pics as illustrated by the time stamps.
I injured my ankle and its difficult to stand on a box for pics to get correct color rendition. Just imagine them slightly better looking with puffier puffs. ;)
They look great VG!

calcium being a non mobile element inside the plants, almost always shows up as little spots on the upper and new growth. This looks more like magnesium to me, but it could be several things. Are you using megacrop or some other nutrients? I am suspecting your incoming pH as a cause of this damage.
Thank you for the help emilya... these plants were started under AN’s 3 part until my megacrop nutrients got here and now I’m making the transition from AN’s lineup to the GLN lineup... i thought it was the transition from the different nutrient lineups thats causing the issues... my ph is checked daily and sometimes twice per day... it stays between 5.5-6.5 and I let it drift that whole spectrum... i really think the cause is just the result of my careless use of the AN lineup and not really measuring out exact doses like I normally would because the MC was supposed to be here by a certain date so I started popping beans and then got a notification that my MC delivery would be delayed... so I had to start the plants on the AN nutes I was trying to avoid.... they looked good until I switched to MC a few days ago and then they started showing these symptoms.

Correct.... but let's be clear about the weight. It's not 4g/gal, it's .4g/gal.
The OP is at 12 days, That would be 2g/gal for next feed by most recommendations?

The kitchen scales we have are only accurate 0.5g so unless I buy better scales accurate to 0.1g
I'll just do a heaping TSP/gallon, call that 6g/gallon and make adjustments based on leaf color.

US Quarter = 5.67 gram, useful to check scale accuracy.

I'm not referring to MC, it's the Kelp Extract, or Sea Kelp as it's now called.
Hiya boss... I would like to confirm a theory of yours. I have now reached the end of stretch and for two days have been officially in mid flower, where of course the N needs sharply diminish while the needs for PK increase. Right on time, I got a strange indication on one of my lower leaves showing signs of N toxicity. I will note for my future grows to discontinue the SK going into the second week of stretch... it is no longer needed nor appreciated by the plant. I will post pictures of this on my journal soon. :peace: :love:

The main reason I stop using the KE is simply because kelp boasts the presence of growth hormones that promote the development of healthy roots. Since the plants have a healthy root system by the time of flip, or should, the presence of growth hormones are no longer needed during this stage of growth.

EDIT: I should add that doing a Kelp foliar spray through flower apparently has some benefits to reduce the chance of disease, although I've never tried it myself.

Hiya boss... I would like to confirm a theory of yours. I have now reached the end of stretch and for two days have been officially in mid flower, where of course the N needs sharply diminish while the needs for PK increase. Right on time, I got a strange indication on one of my lower leaves showing signs of N toxicity. I will note for my future grows to discontinue the SK going into the second week of stretch... it is no longer needed nor appreciated by the plant. I will post pictures of this on my journal soon. :peace: :love:
I did post on your thread here but I thought it was important for those who may not follow your journal to understand why a K def occurs with MC and supplements. I'm assuming above you meant K tox and not N tox.

The Sea Kelp has no extra N content since it's NPK is 0-0-15. An excess of N is not likely, however excess amounts of P from the BE has reduced the availability of the K. My suggestion to anyone who experiences this would be to stop using the BE and the SC until the issue is resolved. At that point I wouldn't even re-introduce the extras either.

I did post on your thread here but I thought it was important for those who may not follow your journal to understand why a K def occurs with MC and supplements. I'm assuming above you meant K tox and not N tox.

The Sea Kelp has no extra N content since it's NPK is 0-0-15. An excess of N is not likely, however excess amounts of P from the BE has reduced the availability of the K. My suggestion to anyone who experiences this would be to stop using the BE and the SC until the issue is resolved. At that point I wouldn't even re-introduce the extras either.
I was totally wrong and should have read the label before opening my big mouth.... but yes, I am now seeing that the feeding chart recommendations for the use of some of the supplements at the wrong times can be dangerous. I am still not convinced that SC is a problem at this point, but I do understand why giving so much P this early was an error... I should have waited about one more week of mid flower to hit them with all that. I will not be giving them BE on this next watering.

Has anyone tried Mega Crop's Sea K instead of Dyna-Gro's ProTeKt to offset the nitrogen in General Hydroponics' CALiMAGic? Dyna-Gro's ProTeKt, and the Potassium Silicate to make Faux-Tek are not available around here. Shipping costs from the US makes them both non-starters.

I am still not convinced that SC is a problem at this point, but I do understand why giving so much P this early was an error... I should have waited about one more week of mid flower to hit them with all that. I will not be giving them BE on this next watering.
The reason I suggested to stop the SC was because of the excess K in the medium right now. There's a chance the soil has been acidified from the excess K sitting in the soil not being used up. It's true that the SC most likely isn't an issue, but combined with the BE there's a lot of K just sitting around right now with no where to go.

Has anyone tried Mega Crop's Sea K instead of Dyna-Gro's ProTeKt to offset the nitrogen
The Sea Kelp has no benefit in the way of K. The amount used is miniscule as it's an extract. You would need an awful lot of SK to make up for the Protekt.

Has anyone tried Mega Crop's Sea K instead of Dyna-Gro's ProTeKt to offset the nitrogen in General Hydroponics' CALiMAGic? Dyna-Gro's ProTeKt, and the Potassium Silicate to make Faux-Tek are not available around here. Shipping costs from the US makes them both non-starters.

Silica is also one of the top 5 things a plant uses, even more so than Phosphorous, yet Mega Crop only has .15%. There is another great reason to supplement it, not just for the K value alone. There's so many Silica products out there. I'd think one is available in your area (SIlica Boost, Silica Blast, Rhino Skin, Armor Si, Blue Planet, Silica Gold, Pro Silicate, etc).

The Sea Kelp has no benefit in the way of K. The amount used is miniscule as it's an extract. You would need an awful lot of SK to make up for the Protekt.

Yes, I think about 1gm per 5ml of General Hydroponics' CALiMAGic. That returns us to the 1:0:3 N:p:K ratio @farside05 speaks of. I couldn't mix them, so another weighty bottle. :cheesygrinsmiley:

My mix during the last half of flower is:
water: 18l (4.75gal)
Mega Crop 30.91gm (6.5ml/gal)
CALiMAGic 3ml

That will change to:
water: 18l (4.75gal)
Mega Crop 30.91gm (6.5ml/gal)
CALiMAGic 10ml
Sea K 2gm

for the attempt.

This is what I'm seeing in my tent:
full

GDP #1: Calcium Deficiency?

I started by taking my own advice, and have raised the pH from 6.2 to 6.4 for my nutrient solution. I'll try that for a few days, and look some more for ProTeKt. If I still can't locate it at a reasonable price, I'll try the Sea K.

Back
Top Bottom