20231015_174625.jpg
20231015_174559.jpg
20231015_174512.jpg

The Old School Purple Kush are finally Kushed out. The trichs say they are ready.

Two are hanging, the third is half trimmed, and this one goes tomorrow.
Please enter one of these in the photo of the month next month... the first one maybe.

Day 8 of Flower.
20231016_131712.jpg
20231016_131634.jpg

The PH is back in line for all 4 now. Soil temperature is 71 and 72 in all 4. So thats a relief, but still a few more degrees to go.

At 84F air temps, it shouldn't take long.

Screenshot_20231016_133202_VPD Calculator.jpg

Here is the current VPD. The 4 degree spread tells me they can handle more light now that the soil has warmed, so I adjusted from 1000 PPFD to 1150 PPFD.

Hopefully its not too big of a jump. We shall see I guess. This grow has been thru a fair bit and is resilient so far, may as well figure the light out too.

If Jon never clued me in to the light meter I would have moved them closer to the light, so why not.

From the front door
20231016_131825.jpg
20231016_131754.jpg

and from the back door.

Still room for more light I think, they can pray harder.

Screenshot_20231016_133707_VPD Calculator.jpg

This is what my VPD will be if I get the leaf temps up. Gotta love the calculator👍👊.

@Jon, I was under the canopy today and I grabbed a picture of this. You were curious about manifolding. I posted a similar one awhile back, I'm not sure if you saw it or not. This is what happens when you manifold.

20231016_171119.jpg

Everything below the 3rd node of the plant is that skinny trunk at the bottom.

The knuckle is where the 3rd node of the plant turns into 2 main pipes. One for each side of the plant.

Do with either as you please. 2 tops, 4 tops, 8 tops, even 16 if the nodes havent started to stagger yet.

If you train them all properly all the pipes come out equal on each level. If one top dominates it gets a bigger pipe, if one gets shaded and goes runty it will have a smaller pipe.

I choose to top them again into 4 big pipes, and again to 8, but all pipes and couplings like this.

If you only grow 4 instead of 8 you get really big colas on those pipes.

8 slows vertical growth a bit more with the extra topping but is still great colas.

I find 8 works best for ending up at the right height at 56 days old for flip.

20231016_171049.jpg

So imagine those pipes and zoom in here and you can kind of see it if you look at both plants.

I apologize, I only strip branches out, not leaves. Every one of these plants still have every leaf so its mangy.

At harvest I will cut out a good set of antlers to show you the end result. But you kinda get the idea.

20231016_171100.jpg

And then from above theres the 32 colas from 4 plants of 8 pipes each.

It looks like a bunch of 1 gallon pots and a sea of green.

But if for some reason you need to pull a plant out of the tent, say for a full rootball dunking, you just grab the plant and lift it out, they are in milk crates😎

For me it makes managing a full tent of tall plants easier, and with no side branches anywhere you only trim nugs.

The worms get a huge haul on side branching and the 1st 2 nodes.

@Jon, I was under the canopy today and I grabbed a picture of this. You were curious about manifolding. I posted a similar one awhile back, I'm not sure if you saw it or not. This is what happens when you manifold.

20231016_171119.jpg

Everything below the 3rd node of the plant is that skinny trunk at the bottom.

The knuckle is where the 3rd node of the plant turns into 2 main pipes. One for each side of the plant.

Do with either as you please. 2 tops, 4 tops, 8 tops, even 16 if the nodes havent started to stagger yet.

If you train them all properly all the pipes come out equal on each level. If one top dominates it gets a bigger pipe, if one gets shaded and goes runty it will have a smaller pipe.

I choose to top them again into 4 big pipes, and again to 8, but all pipes and couplings like this.

If you only grow 4 instead of 8 you get really big colas on those pipes.

8 slows vertical growth a bit more with the extra topping but is still great colas.

I find 8 works best for ending up at the right height at 56 days old for flip.

20231016_171049.jpg

So imagine those pipes and zoom in here and you can kind of see it if you look at both plants.

I apologize, I only strip branches out, not leaves. Every one of these plants still have every leaf so its mangy.

At harvest I will cut out a good set of antlers to show you the end result. But you kinda get the idea.

20231016_171100.jpg

And then from above theres the 32 colas from 4 plants of 8 pipes each.

It looks like a bunch of 1 gallon pots and a sea of green.

But if for some reason you need to pull a plant out of the tent, say for a full rootball dunking, you just grab the plant and lift it out, they are in milk crates😎

For me it makes managing a full tent of tall plants easier, and with no side branches anywhere you only trim nugs.

The worms get a huge haul on side branching and the 1st 2 nodes.
Morning @Gee64 - the plants look gorgeous. So this reply addresses this post and the light post prior.

On your light and jump - 1000 to 1150 is a pretty big jump, even in Jon Stupidland. Most of the time I find it better to go up a bit more slowly, and in steps. So you just jumped 150 points. I would have done that over maybe 10-12 days in 3 increments of 50 ppfd each. This is only because you jumped 1000 to 1150. Had you jumped 850 to 1000 I am not saying this, which is kind of an important distinction. At 1000 you are where many think is perfect. I personally am far less conservative. I always want the plant to be getting the max ppfd it can handle properly at any given stage. So for example, I pop seedlings at 600. I veg from 600-1000. And I flower from 1000 - whatever they can take. This is higher than conventional wisdom but many people feel as I do. It’s a split camp on low flower light vs higher. Some truly believe that less is more. It’s very strain specific and you just gotta feel it out and see what works. But I think it would behoove you to take steps rather than jumps if you want go above 1000. Jumps create stress. Steps don’t. Anyway, assuming you keep it there, a few things you probably know to watch carefully for now - curling leaves, yellowing/whitening tips, leaves shying away from the light vs. thirsting for it (prayer angle), and especially pay close attention to your pistils. They will tell the story very clearly. If you start to fry them, the ends will turn brown and start to crinkle abnormally. If you see this turn down the light immediately. The pistils are small and fine - almost like feeder roots in the air. They’re delicate. Don’t fry them. Lmao! Lastly, the plant should begin to show you a response within a matter of hours, at least in terms of the leaves. But it takes a couple days for the bad shit to start showing. I would suggest not getting lulled into a false sense of security. Watch the tops especially closely.

On the manifolding - thanks. I understand and appreciate the primer. But what I’m really curious about is the plant feeding through only one set of highways. Versus using two or three nodes to achieve the same end result. Not sure what/how to ask, but isn’t that sort of forcing the plant to feed off only one set of nodes? Wouldn’t that be less efficient for the plant than if it had a network of feeding highways? Hope that makes sense.

Gracias Senor Gee. Btw - I just this morning finally “got” the title of the lab. LMAO.

Morning @Gee64 - the plants look gorgeous. So this reply addresses this post and the light post prior.

On your light and jump - 1000 to 1150 is a pretty big jump, even in Jon Stupidland. Most of the time I find it better to go up a bit more slowly, and in steps. So you just jumped 150 points. I would have done that over maybe 10-12 days in 3 increments of 50 ppfd each. This is only because you jumped 1000 to 1150. Had you jumped 850 to 1000 I am not saying this, which is kind of an important distinction. At 1000 you are where many think is perfect. I personally am far less conservative. I always want the plant to be getting the max ppfd it can handle properly at any given stage. So for example, I pop seedlings at 600. I veg from 600-1000. And I flower from 1000 - whatever they can take. This is higher than conventional wisdom but many people feel as I do. It’s a split camp on low flower light vs higher. Some truly believe that less is more. It’s very strain specific and you just gotta feel it out and see what works. But I think it would behoove you to take steps rather than jumps if you want go above 1000. Jumps create stress. Steps don’t. Anyway, assuming you keep it there, a few things you probably know to watch carefully for now - curling leaves, yellowing/whitening tips, leaves shying away from the light vs. thirsting for it (prayer angle), and especially pay close attention to your pistils. They will tell the story very clearly. If you start to fry them, the ends will turn brown and start to crinkle abnormally. If you see this turn down the light immediately. The pistils are small and fine - almost like feeder roots in the air. They’re delicate. Don’t fry them. Lmao! Lastly, the plant should begin to show you a response within a matter of hours, at least in terms of the leaves. But it takes a couple days for the bad shit to start showing. I would suggest not getting lulled into a false sense of security. Watch the tops especially closely.

On the manifolding - thanks. I understand and appreciate the primer. But what I’m really curious about is the plant feeding through only one set of highways. Versus using two or three nodes to achieve the same end result. Not sure what/how to ask, but isn’t that sort of forcing the plant to feed off only one set of nodes? Wouldn’t that be less efficient for the plant than if it had a network of feeding highways? Hope that makes sense.

Gracias Senor Gee. Btw - I just this morning finally “got” the title of the lab. LMAO.
I will definitely watch the pistils👍👊. The leaf temp differential tells me to move them closer to the light, or as it is with this light, to turn it up, so its a bit of an experiment.

I would have done it before I knew or understood PPFD, so I'm doing it again but tracking the PPFD.

As for the manifolding, No matter how many nodes you plumb from, it all comes out 1 pipe from the ground. Thats your restriction point.

If you let a plant grow untopped, the lower boughs are the biggest. Thats because they get theirs from the rootball 1st, and so on up the plant.

By manifolding, all boughs get equal amounts.

I do it purely for the ease of canopy maintenance. Like a scrog in the end results, but I can take a plant out of the tent any time I please without a net in the way.

And I can start them in the veg tent and move them to the flower tent.

You can't really do that with a scrog, and my tents run best when they are full, so 4 plants of 8 boughs works perfect for me.

I would be very comfortable there, unless autos are different.
Thanks @Gee64. And my man, a world doesn’t exist where I would waste perfectly good organic nutes on a tent of autos. Nor would I ever need to ask 1000 questions about growing autos. You don’t flip autos. These are photos on flower day 2. There are no autos that get as insane as that clone. Lmao! But I just checked the tent.

Check out the Skywalker. I have never grown it before and I have never smoked it in my life. I am very familiar with it, however. By reputation and such. You’d think I would have come across it at some point in my life but I never have. Not even from a dispensary. I am so psyched about this plant. To my eyes, she is firing on all cylinders.

IMG_2728.jpeg

Thanks @Gee64. And my man, a world doesn’t exist where I would waste perfectly good organic nutes on a tent of autos. Nor would I ever need to ask 1000 questions about growing autos. You don’t flip autos. These are photos on flower day 2. There are no autos that get as insane as that clone. Lmao! But I just checked the tent.

Check out the Skywalker. I have never grown it before and I have never smoked it in my life. I am very familiar with it, however. By reputation and such. You’d think I would have come across it at some point in my life but I never have. Not even from a dispensary. I am so psyched about this plant. To my eyes, she is firing on all cylinders.

IMG_2728.jpeg
And the Bubblegum Sherbet:

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2728.jpeg
She IS firing😍😍😍

So Jon, you called it on the PPFD, my leaf temps are only 1 degree different so I backed it off 50 to 1100, and will likely have to again right before lights out.

So tomorrow we will see how it actually settles out.

I would imagine that as they stretch I will have to start dialing it back a bit more.

So Jon, you called it on the PPFD, my leaf temps are only 1 degree different so I backed it off 50 to 1100, and will likely have to again right before lights out.

So tomorrow we will see how it actually settles out.

I would imagine that as they stretch I will have to start dialing it back a bit more.
I usually mess with the light more during the stretch than any other time of the whole grow. When else do you get two or three vertical feet in two weeks or so? Tomorrow morning is the start of day 3 of flower in the photo tent - I’m wondering if tomorrow is the day we see them begin to realize they’re supposed to go to flower now. Lol. I like the anticipation part of waiting for the stretch action to begin.

If you are going to be as detailed as making strain specific soils and teas, and keeping track of such things obviously - well, you may as well start making down your light info too. You’ll find that the plants will express their “strain specificness” (lol) more with respect to light than soil I bet. You will especially start see how sativas and indicas can have massively different light needs/desires - sometimes hundreds of points of ppfd. I have learned that it’s best to not combine sativas and indicas in the same tent (for photos - there are no rules for autos, they’re the Wild West of growing), if for no other reason than the maybe significantly different light needs. It works if you use several small lights and can individually affect a plant that way, or if you feel like constantly messing with riser after riser and constantly seeking the next right thing to raise the plant with this time. I don’t have that light reality nor that desire. Indica tent and sativa tent. Problem solved. Lmao.

This plant has beautiful color❤️😍. Shes gonna flower nice, those are good colas.
Thanks @Gee64! It’s now way harder to tell their real colors cuz the flower booster reds trash my pictures and make the whole tent look pinkish. But she looks pretty solid to me in real life. Same level of solid as the Skywalker, and in real life they are both an awesome green that’s pretty similar. More similar than it looks in the pictures, like a darkish emerald type green. I’m sure an Irish grower would know the exact name of the shade, lol. What’s the phrase? 7000 shades of green or something? Anyway, both of them are praying like mad and at the perfect angle. So all things considered, and considering my experience level in this realm, I think I’m doing okay. Thanks for helping me a teeny tiny little bit with my one or two questions.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks @Gee64! It’s now way harder to tell their real colors cuz the flower booster reds trash my pictures and make the whole tent look pinkish. But she looks pretty solid to me in real life. Same level of solid as the Skywalker, and in real life they are both an awesome green that’s pretty similar. More similar than it looks in the pictures, like a darkish emerald type green. I’m sure an Irish grower would know the exact name of the shade, lol. What’s the phrase? 7000 shades of green or something? Anyway, both of them are praying like mad and at the perfect angle. So all things considered, and considering my experience level in this realm, I think I’m doing okay. Thanks for helping me a teeny tiny little bit with my one or two questions.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Unrelated topic - have you ever tried the 24 or 36 hours of dark at the flip? Where you hit them with that dark time before starting the 12/12? I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen some folks get crazy results from doing that. I’m curious about trying it but have thus far gotten too scared of hermies to try it every time I told myself I would this time. Lol.

Unrelated topic - have you ever tried the 24 or 36 hours of dark at the flip? Where you hit them with that dark time before starting the 12/12? I’ve never tried it but I’ve seen some folks get crazy results from doing that. I’m curious about trying it but have thus far gotten too scared of hermies to try it every time I told myself I would this time. Lol.
I have, but I think it effects different strains and/or phenos diffetently. When I did it to an OG plant I think it helped, but I only grew one OG plant so....

However on Durban it doesn't seem to make a difference. With Durban if I leave them in the dark for 36ish hours right before harvest, I see a lot of goo add on.

Some people swear by dumping ice water onto the rootballs to shock them. I haven't tried that one lol.

Day 9 of Flower.

So here is what I have been up to today. I need to decide what side branches at the bottom of each cola stay or go. Today I inspect, tomorrow I start clipping.

20231017_104514.jpg

You can see the tops under the fans. Will they find light? If not they get clipped.

20231017_104747.jpg

Big fan hiding tops.

20231017_104757.jpg

More underneath.

20231017_104805.jpg

This one is way down. Its a goner for sure.

20231017_104814.jpg

These 2 already found light. One will stay for sure.

20231017_104828.jpg

This one is probably a goner too.

20231017_104836.jpg

So here is what I do instead of defoliating. I want my leaves. See the big fan in the middle hiding the tops?

20231017_104842.jpg

Here it is tucked under. I do this a few times a day to a lot of leaves in stretch. If the branch gets coaxed up into the light it stays, if it can't quite make it, I remove the branch.

20231017_104847.jpg

Big fan up.

20231017_104855.jpg

Big fan down. I call it plant yoga.

I need to be ruthless here. My pots don't hold enough food to grow larf. The sooner it gets clipped the more food left for the survivors.

Back
Top Bottom