Day 11
20230805_155828.jpg

Finally a 2nd rooter.
20230805_155805.jpg

This one is going to be plantable soon.

I have 8 weeks left until the 2 tortured Durban clones are done flowering.

Lets plant this in a 2gal and toss it straight into the flower tent and see how it goes.

Tomorrow or Monday it will be ready.
yippee!

Thats pretty much what I said too Carmen🤣

This Purple Kush is a real bugger.

I'm actually surprised 2 made it so far.

They are pretty small for aero-cloning.

One is from plant #2 and one from plant #3 and 2 and 3 are my favorite 2 plants for structure/shape/branching so at least the right 2 rooted.

There is still a chance for more but the clones will start to rot soon if roots don't pop.

Won't have much root mass to sustain it in flower. No concerns there?
Oh I have concerns, but what could go wrong? 🤣

It's either flower out the 2 sick clones or scrap it all and start a new grow from scratch.

If the sick clones keep flowering OK they get to live, so I figure why not toss another experiment in with them. What if it actually works?

I'm hoping stretch will be enough time for roots to develop and myco to establish.

It will be a really small plant.

Hi Gee, there is trouble in paradise. I have just noticed that this spotting is coming in. The canopy is level and chockablock so it's a bit hard to see which node the leaves are at. I think it is creeping up. Anyway I gave the plant a dose of calmag with a thorough watering (bag was dry). Did I do the right thing?

Incidentally, I think that this might be unrelated to coming off the swick. The soil probably needs a bump because the plant has filled the bag and gone to flower. Today was the first proper sighting of pistils in the flower spots.

What can you recommend please?

Hi Gee, there is trouble in paradise. I have just noticed that this spotting is coming in. The canopy is level and chockablock so it's a bit hard to see which node the leaves are at. I think it is creeping up. Anyway I gave the plant a dose of calmag with a thorough watering (bag was dry). Did I do the right thing?

Incidentally, I think that this might be unrelated to coming off the swick. The soil probably needs a bump because the plant has filled the bag and gone to flower. Today was the first proper sighting of pistils in the flower spots.

Happens to me a lot. I wonder if it’s something we should expect absent proactive measures? If so, what would those measures be and when should they be applied?

Happens to me a lot. I wonder if it’s something we should expect absent proactive measures? If so, what would those measures be and when should they be applied?
Hi Rob, nice to see you! I think I should have given these plant a top dress at first sign of readiness to begin the flower cycle. There is a companion product that goes with my soil for that purpose, and I got so caught up in trying to rescue swicks gone bad that I neglected to do that. At least I think that is the issue. Could it be like that for you? A growth spurt / transition stage. Proactive measures are the way to go I believe.

Agreed! Troubleshooting is two fold for whatever problem I have. How do I fix it & how do I prevent it next time? I learn things in a backwards manner - I have ADHD, so solutions always come first & then prevention in the future is the way I figure things out.
A top dress a week or so ago will hopefully get me through veg & I’ve prepped my soil in advance for flowering. I’m expecting to flip in a couple weeks.
My current grow is my first without leaf issues that concern me. Hopefully I’ve stumbled onto a good soil mix. Since I wasn’t able to properly build & cook my soil, I took the Rev’s base mix & added Fox Farms 4-9-3 fertilizer into the mix.

Ok first I have to say I have never grown an auto so if it were a photo-period I would say definitely a calcium problem.

Thats 100% consistent with every swick I have grown so far.

Calmag should work perfectly. Without topwatering you never get the opportunity to water in ewc or compost or top dressing so calcium always runs out.

In organics its best if it's added from the top.

As for the soil I think 2 things are probably happening.

One is that you could very well be low on nutes left in the pot.

The other is that if the entire top half of the pot went bone dry like mine did, then all your microbes above the water roots have gone dormant.

They aren't dead as drought came on gradually. They are just dormant.

So this is what I did.

After shaving the water roots I poured 2 gallons of water very slowly through the 2 gallon pot and had a plastic basin under it to catch the runoff.

Very gentle, you only want water to come out, not muddy water full of nutes.

Then I left it overnight to soak it up and dumped the rest out.

That fully rehydrated the entire rootball and awoke the microbes/myco.

Then I gently poured in a litre of water with fish ferts in it and didn't catch the runoff.

Then I added ewc to the top and watered it in but you could use any good top dressing that is calcium rich if you have no ewc. Or get thru on regular feedings of calmag.

You need to bring the pot back to life before you start feeding it.

It seems to have worked as the buds are coming in right on schedule so far but man the plant looks like $hit. Its praying pretty good and all that stuff but its scarred lol. They both are.

The one that I left in a small swick, I fully topwatered it in it's 20 litre swick before I ripped it out and put it in a 3 litre swick. Then added the fish ferts.

Now I will just keep adding ewc and topdressing, and keep using fish ferts until the last 2 weeks when it only gets water. Hopefully it keeps growing. Only top watering from now on unless I see need for a rootball drench. I rootball drench small pots a lot.

But I gotta say, and I'm giggling pretty hard as I say this... THEY ARE SAD UGLY MOFO'S!🤣 Its weird, aesthetically the leaves are so sad, but the plant is very robust, very perky, and flowering beautifully. They are 3 weeks into flower today and the buds are pretty much right where they should be. I need to check their brix.

From what I can see you need to top water regularly enough to keep the feeder roots engaged as well as top watering in EWC or top dressing etc.

Hi Rob, nice to see you! I think I should have given these plant a top dress at first sign of readiness to begin the flower cycle. There is a companion product that goes with my soil for that purpose, and I got so caught up in trying to rescue swicks gone bad that I neglected to do that. At least I think that is the issue. Could it be like that for you? A growth spurt / transition stage. Proactive measures are the way to go I believe.
This is exactly what you should do. It's likely your calcium as well as food, and designed for that soil.

I am really tempted to try a swick but use synthetics. I just know nothing about synthetics.

If one of you guys has synthetic experience I would love to watch a cloth pot synthetic swick grow fed solely thru the swick.

I think it would be unbelievable.

I think it would exceed a SIP of the same pot size.

Hi Gee,

I hope things are going well for you in your garden today.

I have a leaf issue on my Gelato auto 2, and I'd be grateful for a diagnosis if possible please.

It has never been swicked. It's in that blend of 1/3 mushroom compost to 2/3 cannabis soil (Orgasoilux... the one you've looked at for me before, which has been causing issues for me since day 1). Not true. It was swicked as a sprout until transplant on 11 July.

I had hoped the mushroom compost would cut the super soil enough so that it wouldn't cause problems. I want to use this blend again if it works out for me. There are a couple of older fans that are looking like something might be developing.

I have often thought about trying bonsai but I already have too many plants. Tried talking Momma into it but she wouldn't bite🤣
Mine got infested with springtails pretty badly after a while. I didn't like that. Mothers are nice if I'm in a project but otherwise they're work. I wasn't that good at keeping up with it.
Hi Gee,

I hope things are going well for you in your garden today.

I have a leaf issue on my Gelato auto 2, and I'd be grateful for a diagnosis if possible please.

It has never been swicked. It's in that blend of 1/3 mushroom compost to 2/3 cannabis soil (Orgasoilux... the one you've looked at for me before, which has been causing issues for me since day 1). Not true. It was swicked as a sprout until transplant on 11 July.

I had hoped the mushroom compost would cut the super soil enough so that it wouldn't cause problems. I want to use this blend again if it works out for me. There are a couple of older fans that are looking like something might be developing.

Hi Carmen, my first SIP and 4 of these 5 have shown me the same cal/mag issue too. Since I'm in a SIP I'm shooting 5 ml into the rez once a week to the ones feeding well and will for the duration.
Next grow I want to try a horizontal dolomite lime spike 2 inches below the surface as the EarthBox directions say to do for regular gardening. Then removing it at the end to amend and re cook the soil. I can get away with that maybe with these big pots.

I'm not sure what that is. It almost looks like low carbon but not quite. Have you checked it with a microscope for bugs?
Thank you Gee. I didn't need a microscope for the earwig I squished. It scuttled out from under the pot saucer when I moved it. I hope to high heavens that there aren't more! 😬The plant looks ok other than this. It's in good health. I was just wondering if there was a nute issue I should address.
Hi Carmen, my first SIP and 4 of these 5 have shown me the same cal/mag issue too. Since I'm in a SIP I'm shooting 5 ml into the rez once a week to the ones feeding well and will for the duration.
Hi Otter, okay, once a week it will be for me too then, for my Parmesan at least. Right now it takes about three days to drink 3 L, which is what it takes to runoff. Are you thinking that this Gelato could also be treated as a calmag issue?
Next grow I want to try a horizontal dolomite lime spike 2 inches below the surface as the EarthBox directions say to do for regular gardening. Then removing it at the end to amend and re cook the soil. I can get away with that maybe with these big pots.
I hope that works for you. It'll be great if that is a solution. What does EarthBox actually say about it?

Back
Top Bottom