Hi @013
I was just asking @StoneOtter what the cover was for lol, thanks for the info mate, now I know :thumb:

And now your worried me about the mats :rofl:
I do have inserts that go in the saucers to keep the pots off the runoff, and when I water, I take them out if the tent, and when runoff happens I sit my pots on a towel for a minute or 2 to soak up access,
Then I put them back in the saucers, so there is no runoff happening after their been watered, and these mats iv ordered are meant to be water proof, it just says don’t submerse them in water,
So I thought they would be ok ?

Dunno but they are designed for brewing, not for plants so the temps might be higher.than a seedling heat mat which only does like 10 to 12 degrees above ambient temp, Plus I like wrapping the sides of smart pot better cuz we push a lot more water in flower…runoff is part of the deal until you go SWICK or SIP… and lastly the round mats might not work as well in SIP or swick applications … which is natural progression from where you are currently.

When you really get to watering properly they can drain runoff water for much longer… pretty decent amount of water too.

doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t work just stuff to think about before pulling the trigger on purchasing the round ones

If you start researching refractometers make sure you get one that is analog, not digital. Digital won't tell you about calcium. Also make sure it's for brix and alcohol, and that it can be calibrated. Most can. Your gonna love being able to keep an eye on calcium.
Beat me to it @Gee64 lol
I was gunna ask this, cos there’s all different ones int there,
Honey and fruit and what not, now I know what I’m looking for, thank you :thumb:

Dunno but they are designed for brewing, not for plants so the temps might be higher.than a seedling heat mat which only does like 10 to 12 degrees above ambient temp, Plus I like wrapping the sides of smart pot better cuz we push a lot more water in flower…runoff is part of the deal until you go SWICK or SIP… and lastly the round mats might not work as well in SIP or swick applications … which is natural progression from where you are currently.

When you really get to watering properly they can drain runoff water for much longer… pretty decent amount of water too.

doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t work just stuff to think about before pulling the trigger on purchasing the round ones
Too late @g-one-three , I already bought em :rofl:

But yeah I think your right, and @013 was saying the same thing
They can always be sent back thou, Amazon in it lol
And iv found some to wrap round, the ones your saying, but I was a bit worried about the pots not breathing,
My pots I’m using now are 25cm tall, and the mats I found are too.
And the circumference of my pots are 80cm, the mats are 50cm,
There’s a gap but I’m thinking that’s a good thing, just a bit worried there covering too much of the pot, what’s your thoughts ?

Yeah I’m with ya mate @013
Although the round ones are adjustable heat, and would be much easy for me to just plonk em on the trays, the wrap around ones would make more sense, and safer for sure, and like you say, it’s just a matter of when I move on to the swick or sip, I’m liking the swick at this point lol, probably change in a hour thou :rofl:

I just had some concerns, about the suffocating the pot with wrapping it round, there will be a gap of 30cm round the outside,
the height is completely covered with the ones I’m looking at, will this be too much coverage of the pot ?

I use vivosun heat mats and have 1 under each 10gal pot. I can't remember now how much I paid, it was probably 5 years ago, but they were surprisingly cheap, I do remember being happy about that.
Sorry @Gee64 iv only just noticed this
I think iv missed loads

You don’t water like I do thou do ya ?
I did wanna get directly under my pots with heat but I’m thinking it’s not the correct thing to do,
So I’m gunna mats pads round my pots,
I did mention it to @g-one-three and @013 about my concerns with suffocating my plants wrapping em up, what’s your thoughts ?

Sorry @Gee64 iv only just noticed this
I think iv missed loads

You don’t water like I do thou do ya ?
I did wanna get directly under my pots with heat but I’m thinking it’s not the correct thing to do,
So I’m gunna mats pads round my pots,
I did mention it to @g-one-three and @013 about my concerns with suffocating my plants wrapping em up, what’s your thoughts ?
I've never really thought to wrap the pot, I have a controller with a sensor so I just set the pot on the mat and put the sensor between the two. I'm not sure if wrapping would choke the pot or not.

I've never really thought to wrap the pot, I have a controller with a sensor so I just set the pot on the mat and put the sensor between the two. I'm not sure if wrapping would choke the pot or not.
O’dear lol, now I don’t know what to do :rofl:
My first thoughts was
When they grow natural, out in the open, they don’t take in air from the side do they, it just comes in from the top, but there’s a lot of top outside int there lol,

Iv got the round ones coming tomorrow, well later on, I’m gunna see how they go and prong the soil to see if it’s keeping the roots warm, and take it from there.
I was worried about covering the bottom of the pot where it’s gunn be sitting on the mat, but surely thats better than wrapping the whole pot, all I can do is try in it

And thanks mate :thanks: :thumb:

Ahh crap screwed the pooch on that call- totally my bad! Absolutely a great point on reduced air flow… thanks not a god thing for our crop. Yes you want that air coming in from every direction possible…

Yes sir Kaldean it’s better on bottom!
Hello mate @013
I was totally with ya on the wrapping it round, with the safety issue and the runoff thing,
But I have tiny pots compared to what everyone else uses dont I, so small it’s all gunna be wrapped up lol
And I didn’t even think of the suffocating em until I was measuring how they would fit.
So yeah, I’m gunna try make sure the ones iv ordered are as safe as I can get them
I was thinking of putting them under my saucers, and taking out the insert so the pots sit in the bottom of the saucer and heating em that way, it would cut out any safety issue but I don’t know if it would get enough heat in the soil ?

There seems to be a lot of people using the sip and wick methods,
It would help me out loads, I have problems getting the watering done,
I may need to invest lol

Ole and what is the mulch thing actually for ?
It's an interesting way to go. I've had some super grows with it covered like you saw. One false move and things can go out of whack though. I gave the last grow a few top waterings before I covered it. The result was o2 starved roots. I believe the extra roots acted as wicks and brought up more water than was good for the system. I had to remove the covers and Gee helped me recover them. That's why I think I'm going with bark next time. I had a hard time raising brix with the hard cover too. With bark I can top dress the things they want to try for the brixiest plants I can. I'm looking for easy and healthy. We'll see if it exists in this pot.

Mulch creates a dark moist place at top soil level. Microbes like it and can thrive there. Roots will naturally move in to take advantage. I'm not sure of the order but that happens. More roots = more fruits!
That's awesome Mr McGiver!🤣👊. I bet it works really well.
I used gorilla tape so I don't think I can remove it if I wanted! It did work just fine. At 18 watts a piece it's the answer to my winter heating cost blues! This heat doesn't get sucked out of the tent with extraction air!

It's an interesting way to go. I've had some super grows with it covered like you saw. One false move and things can go out of whack though. I gave the last grow a few top waterings before I covered it. The result was o2 starved roots. I believe the extra roots acted as wicks and brought up more water than was good for the system. I had to remove the covers and Gee helped me recover them. That's why I think I'm going with bark next time. I had a hard time raising brix with the hard cover too. With bark I can top dress the things they want to try for the brixiest plants I can. I'm looking for easy and healthy. We'll see if it exists in this pot.

Mulch creates a dark moist place at top soil level. Microbes like it and can thrive there. Roots will naturally move in to take advantage. I'm not sure of the order but that happens. More roots = more fruits!

I used gorilla tape so I don't think I can remove it if I wanted! It did work just fine. At 18 watts a piece it's the answer to my winter heating cost blues! This heat doesn't get sucked out of the tent with extraction air!
Hi mate @StoneOtter
And yeah I can see what’s trying to be achieved now with what your saying, your not just using some of the pot, your using the whole pot for these tiny little mycrobes to flourish,
I think I’m starting to understand the whole idea of the living soil

I think :rofl: :thumb:

Miss Sticky and the LC's - Day 53's and 44.
(Yesterday)
20240918_182127.jpg

The LC's still aren't totally happy in Rev's mix. The little LC, which is now the big LC is doing fine, She's front left with Miss Sticky front right. The other 2 are coming, but not quite there yet.

Miss Sticky Clones - Day 14 (yesterday)
20240918_182002.jpg

Still healthy looking.

20240918_182021.jpg

She's not as good of a rooter as RVDV was, but she is getting there.

I like roots longer than the clones are tall before planting, and I like it when the roots have tons of side roots. The side rooting is just starting to come in. The roots do look nice and healthy tho.

It's amazing what plants can create out of nothing. This is zero ppm RO water, so they aren't getting anything other than carbon from the air.

Side branching is still great. It's usually the first to get consumed.

20240918_182030.jpg

20240918_182034.jpg

Here comes all the side shoots😊

20240918_182609.jpg

RVDV Mumma has some viable clones now. If the one LC in the other tent doesn't come around I may cut some RV clones from Mumma and flower her out.

20240918_182709.jpg

And another 4.5 gallons of EWC. I put one of the middle trays from my worm farm into the bottom of the new worm farm, so it will be 4 weeks instead of 2 before I get my next bucket of EWC, but well worth the wait to double my output.

20240918_065937.jpg

It's hard to see, but it's actually a double rainbow, and at one point there were 5 but they didn't show up in pictures. This was with morning coffee yesterday, over the back fence. Rainbows in the desert aren't very common so it was a great cup of coffee.

20240918_065311.jpg

Hopefully it's the pound of Gold at the end of the rainbow. She's finally stretching out and starting into flower.

I'm around for a few more hours but then I'm heading out offroading with my Son for the day, so I won't be around much.

Have a great day everyone.

Feel free to discuss anything that pops up, I'll catch up tonight.

Azi, how are your plants coming?

👊😊

Current flows from negative to positive in devices, but in the battery it flows from positive to negative.

We have cation exchange going on in soil. An electrical happening all the time.

How do we change the batteries? 🙄
Ok your over my head now🤣, but calcium/magnesium in balance will certainly recharge them.

Miss Sticky and the LC's - Day 53's and 44.
(Yesterday)
20240918_182127.jpg

The LC's still aren't totally happy in Rev's mix. The little LC, which is now the big LC is doing fine, She's front left with Miss Sticky front right. The other 2 are coming, but not quite there yet.

Miss Sticky Clones - Day 14 (yesterday)
20240918_182002.jpg

Still healthy looking.

20240918_182021.jpg

She's not as good of a rooter as RVDV was, but she is getting there.

I like roots longer than the clones are tall before planting, and I like it when the roots have tons of side roots. The side rooting is just starting to come in. The roots do look nice and healthy tho.

It's amazing what plants can create out of nothing. This is zero ppm RO water, so they aren't getting anything other than carbon from the air.

Side branching is still great. It's usually the first to get consumed.

20240918_182030.jpg

20240918_182034.jpg

Here comes all the side shoots😊

20240918_182609.jpg

RVDV Mumma has some viable clones now. If the one LC in the other tent doesn't come around I may cut some RV clones from Mumma and flower her out.

20240918_182709.jpg

And another 4.5 gallons of EWC. I put one of the middle trays from my worm farm into the bottom of the new worm farm, so it will be 4 weeks instead of 2 before I get my next bucket of EWC, but well worth the wait to double my output.

20240918_065937.jpg

It's hard to see, but it's actually a double rainbow, and at one point there were 5 but they didn't show up in pictures. This was with morning coffee yesterday, over the back fence. Rainbows in the desert aren't very common so it was a great cup of coffee.

20240918_065311.jpg

Hopefully it's the pound of Gold at the end of the rainbow. She's finally stretching out and starting into flower.

I'm around for a few more hours but then I'm heading out offroading with my Son for the day, so I won't be around much.

Have a great day everyone.

Feel free to discuss anything that pops up, I'll catch up tonight.

Azi, how are your plants coming?

👊😊
I’m liking your plants @Gee64
But that view, Wow, thats beautiful mate

I’m liking your plants @Gee64
But that view, Wow, thats beautiful mate
Thanks Kal🙏. They are filling in nicely now. Miss Sticky is a really large plant.

I think I might pull 2 of the LC's, cut some clones, and retry in a lighter Gaia mix. It worked well for Iklwa and RVDV.

Miss Stickey loves Rev's mix tho, and Little (big) LC is really adjusting to it.

I have another week until the cloner is free so they get another week still to veg and adjust.

I need to see how well LC clones anyways, but we still have a week😊

Thanks Kal🙏. They are filling in nicely now. Miss Sticky is a really large plant.

I think I might pull 2 of the LC's, cut some clones, and retry in a lighter Gaia mix. It worked well for Iklwa and RVDV.

Miss Stickey loves Rev's mix tho, and Little (big) LC is really adjusting to it.

I have another week until the cloner is free so they get another week still to veg and adjust.

I need to see how well LC clones anyways, but we still have a week😊
Hope your having a good day mate @Gee64
I really need to have a read through this post from the beginning, cos I was gunna ask ya how you train your plants. What’s the plan, you must have it in here thou so yeah, I need to have a read, cos I’m lost with half the stuff yous talk about,
And yes mate, Miss sticky and littlebig look like their gunna be nice plants, do they go outside when you have em where you want em or these ones staying indoors ?

Back
Top Bottom