The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

Happy Sunday Cannafan, did Mom use the oil & tacking? Can you update over at Motoco's dosing journal if so? :love:
How do you like my new Signature? :thumb:
Good to see you back Sis, you have some of the best ideas around these parts. :adore:

Hi ya Smokes! I have to say, this is a BEAUTIFUL picture. Very artsy looking. I did see the smiling faces, but what I also see is a farmer type dude in one of the flowers on the lower left. He has bib overalls on. Do you see him? Such an awesome pic!

I think I see it or at least I can imagine it there. :) I think I actually shared the wrong picture as I had some that were a bit more in focus. Ah well, your back I can share some more. :thumb:

Great to have you back all safe, sound and in great spirits Cannafan! :cheer: :love:

Hi Lester! :cheesygrinsmiley: And :ciao: to everyone else too. :)

It's been a busy week with training and homework for my new job. It's going very well. I did take some time this morning to get my herbs planted for the kitchen. The local nursery had a pretty good selection, but some that I wanted weren't looking healthy. I'll try again next week.
I brought in some of the Mint and the Chives from outside. I was hoping to make some mint tincture/extract, but I have to wait until I can afford the Vodka or Everclear. Expensive stuff. ;-)
Herb_Garden_1.jpg
Herb_Garden_2.jpg

Hope you are all doing well. I can't wait to get some flowers and decent foliage pics around here. I believe I will leave the spiders alone this time. Gives me the creepy crawlies when I look at those pictures. :laughtwo:

Oh, I planted some Garlic bulbs too. We'll see how they do come August/September, or sooner I hope!

Hi Canna,
American Pharoah, the favorite just won the Derby, trained by the great Bob Baffert....Horses and humans all made it around the track and are safe....Triple Crown, here we come....woo hoo!

Canna, just watching the news and found out we had a 4.2 earthquake centered in Kalamazoo at 12:20 this afternoon...did you feel it....I didn't.....not liking that information....lived thru many in Cali when I lived there, but here......?

A 420 member in Indiana heard about it but didn't feel it....since it was close to you just wanted to check....I'm so happy you are back, Canna

@Shawnee: Me too. :) Glad there were no traumatic results for sure.

Now....last summer I could swear I planted some garlic cloves that had gone to sprouting on me. I KNOW I planted them....but where? I couldn't not find them, and could not remember where I planted them. Ah well...I did keep running into these "onion" stalks and wondered when the heck I had planted any green onions. Never did. So I dug them up and the smell was definitely NOT onion. Turns out it was the garlic I had planted, and it is called Green Garlic. Looks so similar to green onions that they are easy to mistake.
The great part is, they are perfectly edible and much preferred in some areas. Farmers sometimes grow only the green garlic. They are harvested before the garlic turns into bulbs.

Spring_Garlic.jpg

Easiest way to tell them apart from green onions or other onions is that the tops are not hollow like onions. They are flat. And the garlic ends have a purple line or all around purplish color. Best time to harvest is March/April. Lucky me. LOL

I cleaned them up and chewed on one. WOW, that was a potent Garlic/onion taste. The after taste was a bit nutty as I had read.
These are getting chopped up into my scrambled eggs or an omelet in the morning for sure!

A beautiful spring morning that I shall not soon forget. :yahoo:

I stayed true to my plan and made the omelet this morning with the sliced up spring garlic, ham, and cheese. It was delicious! The cooking of the garlic toned the bite down and it was probably the best tasting omelet I've made. There was a slight hint of an earthy taste to it which told me how fresh it was, I truly enjoyed it. The only thing that would have made this better would have been a slight dusting of decarbed cannabis. LOL

Spring_Breakfast.jpg

I ate on the back deck with the kitties relaxing, and to our delight we watched 6 whitetails come down to the pond and play on the bank. They took short notice of the kitties and then disregarded them, but I remained still. Of course the camera was inside...had I gotten up to get it they would have seen me and scooted out.

Sunny...fairly warm...and birds singing everywhere. What a great morning!

Now, I'm heading out for a walk before I get to the work I need to do today and see what nature has sprouted for me. :circle-of-love:

Great walk. Not so much in photo opportunities yet, but I got a few.

First up, these flowers were growing along the bank of the pond. They were no more than a half inch in size, and resembled lilies. Very pretty.

spring_3.jpg

spring_4.jpg

This is a just born fern. I really like how it looks like a pair of hands closed around some hidden treasure.

Spring_11.jpg

The beginnings of a new pine tree:

spring_22.jpg

I haven't a clue what kind of plant this is, but it was a beautiful yellow. Notice how the bottom of it looks just like pistils on our favorite plant:

spring_5.jpg

spring_6.jpg

I did see that a lot of fish survived the hard winter freeze. This small bass followed me all the way around the pond with curiosity.

spring_8.jpg

Here are the remains of a hornet or wasps nest from last year. I will know where to find one this year. LOL

spring_7.jpg

And last...who can tell us what these are?

spring_10.jpg

spring_9.jpg

Okay....I'll tell you before I get my evening chores done.

It was a whitetail deer. Apparently did not make it through the hard winter.
I find the shape and structure of the teeth so different from us or any other carnivore. Deer are herbivores, so their teeth are designed differently to meet the needs of eating plants and fruits/berries and such.

I found a site online that teaches you how to age a whitetail deer using the teeth as a guide. I aged this deer to be about 2 1/2 years old.

So....all about animals class is over for the day.

:laughtwo:

Great looking omelette, Canna....those deer teeth remind me of my horse's teeth...they chew their grass/hay from side to side, sometimes creating very pointy teeth called "wolf teeth". The vet has to shave them straight every couple years with her drill and sandpaper....

Great looking omelette, Canna....those deer teeth remind me of my horse's teeth...they chew their grass/hay from side to side, sometimes creating very pointy teeth called "wolf teeth". The vet has to shave them straight every couple years with her drill and sandpaper....

Hi Shawnee,
Wow, I've never had to have a vet do that with my horses. Even when being raised on the horse ranch, I don't recall them doing that. But, myself as well as my Mom weren't much for taking on vet bills either. Can't pay with what you don't have. LOL

In the wild, the deer will eventually wear the sharp cusps down to smooth as they age. They chew the same way, side to side. Kind of funny to watch really. ;-)

Canna, when the wolf teeth get too pointy they can't chew side to side and the grass/hay starts falling out of their mouth and they get no nourishment....it usually happens to horses after they are about 6....and yes, it is expensive.....they usually give them a shot to semi relax/knock them out, tie them up in the stall, open mouth and insert drill.....pretty barbaric, if you ask me....

I've had horses here now for 14 years and am shocked at veterinary practices in this day and age....one of my baby males was castrated, they whacked the balls off, left them on the ground in the round pen, no sutures, just let it drain, keep the horses on their feet moving, and hope the flies don't infect the site....

Another horse colicked, the vet was here at midnite, shoved a plastic dirty tube through her nose into her stomach and dumped a gallon of mineral oil into the tube...before he left he said, if she's still standing in the morning she'll be fine, if not, call me and I'll swing back to put her down.....what.......?

It's a multi-cultural environment on this site. Things are interpreted differently everywhere.
I'll never forget on my first trip to Australia, I brought a fanny pack. Now, we in the U.S. know exactly what that is. However, when I mentioned "fanny pack" to my illustrious hosts they shuddered and said that's probably not a good thing to say there. LOL

So, on a lighter note....my wild mint did not survive the transplant to indoors. I think I damaged the root systems. They have major roots for even the smaller ones. I think I'll try again and dig a bit deeper this time.
Ah well, there's plenty to spare.
:circle-of-love:

And I prefer you hang around Grizz AND YuYo. Apologies have been offered, no harm intended, so let's all get some springing going. :)

Fanny pack? Wooo, Canna, you're such a dirty girl...hahha...

Group hug everyone.....?

:hug:

Back
Top Bottom