The Beauty Of The Changing Seasons

This is for PeeJay. Because he asked. And because fortunately I don't know anything about mental illness but I do know what cheers me up. I hope this helps, PeeJay.

I've tried to keep with the spirit of Cannafan's thread - something for the long winter-time she said. We live on the mainland (the islands are terribly isolated in winter). However, we are on a peninsular with a gulf on one side (easy, gentle beaches and busy at this time of year) and the Aegean on the other (dramatic coves, unmade roads, fewer tourists - guess my favourite) - so we're like an island on the mainland. We're about 400m up a mountain which is a blessing in this hot weather and in a couple of weeks we'll have been here a year.

The house was a new build and going for a song because of the terrible economic situation here. We couldn't have afforded it 6 or 7 years ago. So for the first time in my life I've been making a garden. From absolute scratch. Loads and loads of mistakes (see my cannabis plants for further evidence of that) but, as Mrs Teddy said to me only today "You love your garden more than me". Of course that's only true some of the time.

The area is where they say the gods themselves took their holidays. Centaurs lived on these mountains. (The local folk are terrific horse-people which is where the legend came from). And in the second world war (still well remembered here through the bond of generations) the local men took to the hills and fought the toughest and longest resistance in Greece (that's saying something) against the Nazis. I know this is supposed to be about the place - but here the people are the place.

So last Friday I took a little walk to show you what's up the little mountain behind our house. We'd had a storm the previous night and it was grey the following morning. Here's what was looking ok in the garden first of all.

The plant hospital where sad roses get re-potted and mistaken plantings come to recover:
DSC_10393.JPG
DSC_10384.JPG

I love these Angel's Fishing Rods - height and movement:
DSC_10283.JPG

Other flowers and fruits and veg:

DSC_10192.JPG
DSC_10131.JPG
DSC_079810.JPG
DSC_07916.JPG

Friday's tomato harvest. I planted too many. Now making chilli and tomato sauce to freeze like a maniacal Italian chef:

DSC_10302.JPG

Here's St Haralambos' chapel at the back of our house. I wrote about it and the blessed martyr on my thread. Looking through a lavender hedge I planted. One thing that's surviving the drought well.

DSC_07926.JPG

And some hanging baskets that I planted for the pergola. An unknown concept here. I can see people stop on the road below and comment. I always wanted to be part of the avant-garde.

DSC_0920.JPG

And this is the view from the pergola:

IMG_180414.JPG

So I walked up into the forest behind St Haralambos' chapel. There are two further chapels. The first, another 600m up is that of The Prophet Elijah. I've never made it to the third chapel which is at the top of the mountain. It's a good day's hike. The woods are full of beautiful old stone terraces - in previous centuries the land was heavily cultivated for apples, chestnuts, walnuts and mulberry trees for silk worms. Even now as one walks up you come across abandoned orchards. At this time of year, underfoot is rich in with wild sage and oregano. The smell of rich, damp earth and herbs on this morning was like a really good Pinot Noir. No photos of the herbs because I picked all I could find last month before they flowered and it's all hanging in our apotheki (pretty shed) drying.

DSC_10104.JPG
DSC_10093.JPG

The upper reservoirs are looking very dry.
DSC_10066.JPG

And this is supposed to be a babbling brook
DSC_10055.jpg

DSC_10013.JPG
DSC_10004.JPG
DSC_09995.JPG
DSC_09966.JPG
DSC_09957.JPG
DSC_09944.JPG
DSC_09897.JPG

Plenty of hunting here for rabbits and wild boar. Both extremely tasty, so I don't object to the gunshots at night.
DSC_09889.JPG
DSC_09868.JPG

Oh, and I bumped into my chum Ageurre the goat-herd. We don't really understand a word the other says and spend all our time laughing. We are The Odd Couple.

DSC_0529_1.JPG

And here are a couple of snaps of the coastlines - the Aegean and the gulf.

IMG_159012.JPG
IMG_102919.JPG

Thank you for inviting me to share this with you. For us this place is Paradise. And I've yet to find a snake in this New Eden. Although I have found a few shed skins.

:love: to you all. Especially PeeJay.

Thanks Mr. Teddy. That sure did bring a smile to my face. Ageurre is much like I pictured him. He is my newest hero! Please give him my best, even if he doesn't understand a word of it. Isn't it funny how well we can communicate with facial expressions, gestures, and posture? Both you and Ageurre must have large antennae for gathering and finely tuned cerebral cortexes for interpreting unspoken data.

For a never before gardener you have it going on. I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the pastime.

What direction is that view from the pergola? South? There must be a constantly changing play of light and mood from that vantage point. What a delightful place to sit, sip, snack, and now that you are starting to harvest some fine homegrown cannabis, puff. Canna has an amazing pergola at her place, too, but I think you have her beat. That view really puts your capable description of the storm rolling in over the water the other day into perspective. Very dramatic.

Don't forget to sun dry some of those tomatoes so you can nibble on them alongside pungent local cheese, olives, and roasted eggplant with bread from the village baker. There are probably all sorts of things you can forage in those woods besides fruit from the abandoned orchards and herbs. Pantomime to Ageurre and I expect he will be delighted to show you what's good.

An ideal place for Mrs. Teddy and what ails her, to be sure.

Gorgeous Landscapes and photos Mr. Teddy! Thanks so much for showing us yet another part of the world that some of us may never see first hand.
Ageurre looks like such a friendly fellow and I'll bet he's some great stories to tell, if you can understand him. Oh, I wish I were multilingual. LOL

Great share, and a wonderful spirit uplifter for PeeJay.

:clap:

And you are correct PeeJay, their pergola has mine beat by a long shot with that view!
I want to live in that house that is nestled in the mountain side in one of those pics. Is it for sale? I'm sure to win a million someday.......If I ever start up gambling.

:rofl:

I'm going to sub to Mr. Teddy's journal this week. One step ahead of you on that thinking. LOL

And the procedure today, in my humble opinion, is good news to me. No changes from the last one, meaning nothing is worse or advanced. That tells me the cannabis oil is doing what it's supposed to do. Hopefully on the next one I will hear "significant reduction" or something along that line.

For the separate stomach/intestinal issues he's putting me through some test where they measure how fast the stomach is processing contents and where it is at specific times in the body. That ought to be interesting, it's a 4+ hour test. YUK
So, I feel pretty good about things today.

:yahoo:

Wow. I like the sound of that test. Does it have a name that you're aware of? I'm not familiar with it and would enjoy reading about it. It sounds like the medico is on the ball. You should be all smiles.

I knew I should have posted the actual name of the test. These medical terms are so long and hard to remember spelling. LOL

Gastric emptying scintigraphy is what the test is called. It is to track the emptying of food from the stomach and the length of time it takes to identify possible gastroparesis.

Have fun on researching that one. I'm going to be researching it tomorrow when I'm a bit more awake. Not going to take much to put me to sleep tonight, anesthesia takes a while to wear off on me. [[[ssssnoooooze]]]
Nite all!

Hi Canna, I'm so glad you are stable. Very good news indeed. I've had a fluoroscopy which is the same thing, but I had mine 25 years ago so it may be different now. You drink this thick goo and they look at it as it passes through. It may have been barium in my case, but they may no longer use that, I am not sure.

It's painless, but time consuming.

i'm happy you were relieved.
goodnight

Hi Victoria, and thank you. :)

I know what test you are referring to, I have had a couple of those barium things in the past. For this one you eat a bland meal, usually scrambled eggs that are mixed with some kind of radioactive material that they track as it moves and processes through your system. This is how he explained it to me in my groggy haze yesterday. LOL
They are trying to figure out where the food is going and how long it takes to get from point A to point B. I am getting zero benefit from food, no nutrient absorption...so basically am suffering malnutrition. Pancreas and other such organs have been checked, although pancreas shows some damage they feel it's still working. So, the mystery continues.
Pretty sad when I put myself on a 3000 calorie daily diet to attempt weight gain for a week and wind up losing 3 precious pounds. Sheesh!

Anyway, on with happier things....so ....
Good morning all and hope you have a great day! I hope to get some pics today out and about the workplace area. We'll see what I come up with.

:circle-of-love:

Good morning Canna, (I have to admit, I feel so ridiculous calling people by their handles!)

Yes, this must be a new method for doing the same diagnostic test. I have similar problems, but I don't have weight loss like that. I can keep weight on. When I was in treatment, one of the drugs I had to take (Incivek) required 60 grams of fat in order for it to assimilate. That's a lot of fat to eat every day when you want to bring it all right back up. So I'd take anti-nausea which put me right to sleep.

Remember when we were younger and people would say, if you have your health...yadda yadda? I really know what they are talking about. It sucks that when I think of retirement, I have to consider the doctors in the areas we want to go. Then I just want to stay here with the ones I have who I love.

They never figured me out. I am deficient in Vitamin D3, K, B12, and a whole bunch of other missing things in my system from mal-absorption. I hope they figure you out perfectly.

The best growing conditions for lavender are very dry, very alkaline, rocky, poor soil. They do not like to be watered. They must have excellent drainage and full, direct, all day sun. Blazing. In France they grow it in huge stands in direct sun all day with no water. For home cultivation or small plot, lavender will perform better if you use a layer of white rock for the mulch around the base. Do not touch the base of the plant with rocks, but they will reflect heat back up. HEAT. They want heat. There you have it. Also, buy plants. Starting lavender from seed is really hard. You may be able to grow Hidcote, but other than that if you want the French for the scent and oil, start with very healthy plants in 4" pots. When you plant them, try not to plant them too deeply. Their biggest problem is stem and root rot in the home garden.

It's a fussy plant for me. For others, it's a cinch.

Lavender does very well in my climate except it has problems with not overwintering well until it is very established. It would have even more problems along those lines up North where you live, Canna. It likes hot and dry, and is almost certainly not easy to grow in your climate. I could mail you a garbage bag full if you want.

Lavender does very well in my climate except it has problems with not overwintering well until it is very established. It would have even more problems along those lines up North where you live, Canna. It likes hot and dry, and is almost certainly not easy to grow in your climate. I could mail you a garbage bag full if you want.

Thanks PeeJay,
I kind of thought it was my climate. Danged cold north. LOL I see fields of Lavender in pictures and just want to wade through them and take a nice nap. :)

Edit: Oops, hadn't read your post yet Victoria. Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of trying it indoors under some lights this winter, seedlings, just to see what happens.

It needs tons of light too, like cannabis. It won't do well under the 1 watt LEDs like the begonias did. It might do ok under the big grow lights, but would you want to use that space for lavender?

Back
Top Bottom