Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

When I replace mine, I think I'll be going with a bigger one.

Watch your current setup. Note how long the compressor runs when it's working. Mine was working for a touch over 2min each time the compressor kicked on. This is just really inefficient leaving my bloom room in the 80s. The smaller unit is about 1/2 the BTUs and runs nice long smooth cycles keeping the room down in the 70s 24/7.... tho every now and then it might touch 80.
So counter intuitive. Meh!

That cabinet you're making is quite nice for a self professed lazy grower.

Even the laziest grower must occasionally devolve into a flurry of activity. To be fair, I'm stretching a 1 day job over at least 1 week.... so I'm still snackin on that 'lazy gumbo' baby!

Some wandering words for a loose day...
I see my thread has wandered above 200. Like Sue, it's time to stick a fork in this one. The garden has become different, the OGK is gone.... this crawfish pot has past it's prime.... let's dump the shells before they get to stankin!

I've got plenty of experimental action going with various races and mixes. I picked up a bag of verm at the store the other day. I've decided to drag out the old liquid nutes, figure out a 1/2 gallon mix configuration, and see what happens. Lots of flowing ideas always.

The new veg area is quite promising. It will get wrapped in 2 layers of Reflectix (silvered double-bubble insulation). My veg area has been a good bit warmer than my bloom area.... more than I want.

The outdoor weather has been really off this year. Usually we see daily afternoon showers in the summer. It's like the heat and humidity just build up over the gulf and the normal onshore flow brings them in over the city. Shockingly regular during most of my 20+ years here in NOLA. The last year or two, this has been less, and this year it seems to really be the exception rather than the rule. Additionally, our humidity has been way down the last 2 years and this year it's so low in the midst of normally humid conditions that I'm having dry skin issues. I rolled the historical numbers for the last 10 years and it's way wacky at the moment.
Kinda sux.... Tead's used to a well lubricated environment.

I think that's it. Keep an eye out for a new thread.... I'll start one when I can come up with an acceptable name.

I love forward momentum! :hug: I’ll watch for your new thread.

The end of a mini era Tead. Looking forward to seeing what you cook up next. :theband:
You grew the OGK for so long in this journal, and put it to rest just at the time you’d finally twisted my rubber arm into planting some myself. Can you post a few words on growing it and any general thoughts on this strain?
:passitleft:

Can you post a few words on growing it and any general thoughts on this strain?

Sing a love song to OGK you ask.... I think that can be arranged.

As I was closing out the OGKs, I looked back at their history to give them a final farewell. The beans came into my world in 2009. The reason they stayed so long has little to do with anything except for their durability. Good smoke is always welcome... but a plant that could survive as I struggled thru the years getting my world under control.... well, I need say no more as one can easily imagine the trials and tribulations involved trying to grow in a tin shed in the NOLA sun.

Very thick/indica leaning growth. They can stay short or build gently to a storm if you have some room. Maybe even too thick to get very creative in the bending department.... but I admit to not doing anything other than clipping them up to promote more growth (they respond very well to it). I tend to grow shorter plants anyway because of my space, so they were little round bushes in my world. I did grow them big a time or two, but as I recall it was just better suited to smaller grows.

The smoke falls into the sledge hammer world with all the stereotypical indica traits. It'll slow you down and even make a nice pathway to dreamland if you're so inclined.

I'll leave taste to other reviewers of the strain. Tead's smell and taste systems have been on the decline for many years. When you add in the fact that herb rarely lives longer than 1 month in my world, I'm just not well armed to sing that specific verse of the love song.

I saw that you had OGK in the mix... made me smile, but I didn't chat about it.

I've been battling mites myself lately. They popped up on my Sensi Star. They laid eggs at the bottom leaves where there was no light penetration and due to my RH and temps they had perfect conditions to reproduce. I started from removing all the infected leaves and that itself knocked the population down. Then I sprayed baking soda solution. Big mistake! It worked partly, but I burnt the shit out of my plant. Later I found out it's enough if you spray your plant every few days with cold water. You just wash them off this way basically and that's what I'm doing now. I see very few of them now, so I assume my war will be over very soon.

I see very few of them now, so I assume my war will be over very soon.

I suspect you're in for a much larger battle than you expect. Get a magnifying device of some sort and go egg hunting... bet ya find a few just waiting to hatch. It's not the bugs you're fighting really.... it's the ongoing egg hatches. When you factor in that the incubation period for the eggs is 5 days to 2 weeks, at the very least you're in for 2 weeks of washing.

They're mighty tough Con. Done the battle before?

I'll leave taste to other reviewers of the strain. Tead's smell and taste systems have been on the decline for many years. When you add in the fact that herb rarely lives longer than 1 month in my world, I'm just not well armed to sing that specific verse of the love song.

We have that declining taste smell issue in common. Pretty standard for tobacco smokers....

Did you test drive Dale's bagseed?

I suspect you're in for a much larger battle than you expect. Get a magnifying device of some sort and go egg hunting... bet ya find a few just waiting to hatch. It's not the bugs you're fighting really.... it's the ongoing egg hatches. When you factor in that the incubation period for the eggs is 5 days to 2 weeks, at the very least you're in for 2 weeks of washing.

They're mighty tough Con. Done the battle before?

No never, but I don't see the bites anymore, so if I keep washing them off I'll grind them to a halt eventually. But my situation is not as tough as yours, there are no webs and I'm not gonna let them get to this point.

We have that declining taste smell issue in common. Pretty standard for tobacco smokers....

Did you test drive Dale's bagseed?

Indeed. Betwixt the tobacco and the love of burning spicy food....

I did drive the DBS. I should put these words on Sue's thread, but I suspect she'll notice none the less.
I've been trying to get some cure on it before it gets consumed.
I'm pretty sure it was a sour diesel variant of some sort... or just plain sour diesel. It's got that petrol smell. The smell smacks you up pretty hard after some grinding.
The effect of the smoke was not my normal indica heavy stuff... it definitely was more on the sativa side.
The plant had more of a short indica form and didn't stretch that much.... which makes me think it's some mix of SD and something else more indica leaning.
Got plenty of clones from her... and she'll be rolling thru the mix as I learn more about her. I'll be curious to see if the form changes since clones can vary from the mother plant in some minor ways.... which I think is just the difference between the seed and clones.... clones tend to grow less vigorously than their seed mothers.

No never, but I don't see the bites anymore, so if I keep washing them off I'll grind them to a halt eventually. But my situation is not as tough as yours, there are no webs and I'm not gonna let them get to this point.

Well... I would point out that the difference between 500 eggs and 5 eggs is negligable in the long run unless you can end the cycle.
Get a good magnifier and go hunting for the eggs. Keep treating untill there are no more eggs.... then treat for another week.
If you use Azamax or some other neem based treatment, you can get some systematic protections as well. I've been feeding them neem for a few weeks now and any babies that pop are dying when they start feeding.
Pyretherin is another knock down agent for the bugs... works as well as neem killing of the live ones, but doesn't provide any systematic protection.
Eggs fall too. Be sure to treat your medium and your grow area. I've been fogging the grow areas with a pyretherin aerosol with the plants removed.

I gotta say... it's killin this lazy grower. Of course, if I were not so lazy when they first appeared..... but that's another tale.

I’ve read clones don’t have that main tap root, which probably makes a huge difference.
:passitleft:

Hmmmm...... never heard that.
Wait... I can check this.... hang on.....

I had 3 pots to dump out, oh they stank.... gotta start emptying them at harvest.
I peeked at the rotting roots of all 3. They tended to have 3 or 4 larger roots heading to the bottom with lots of smaller stuff all about. I really see hugely dense root masses in the perl.
Next, I had a live Harlequin seed male to ax (0 for 2... dammit!). It looked exactly the same with 3 larger roots heading down and lots of feeders. I laid them side by side and saw 0 difference.

I'm gonna have to toss my hat in the other ring on this one. Happy I had the pieces on hand to check tho! Fun stuff.
I wish I had a dirty girl laying around for a comparison. One wonders about the differences between dirt and perlite.
Hell... I'm gonna try some verm/perl mixes shortly.... wonder if I'll notice anything there.
The perl alone is such a thin medium.... I could sure imagine how different mediums might drive a different root form.

"Nerd, nerd, nerd, nerd, nerd......" ain't it fun to nerd out on plants.?

“The tap root holds it all down. Germinated seeds produce a tap root while clones produce what is known as a fiberous root system, when taken from a donor plant. A large tap root promotes strong vegetative growth, creating a stable plant. Larger plants have relatively larger xylem and phloem size, allowing for more nutrient and water transportation to the leaves and buds during flowering, which will increase the harvest weight.

Plants grown from seed will slightly out-produce their clone when grown under identical conditions. More importantly, plants grown from seed have better pest and disease resistance compared with those grown from a clone.”

I'd buy many of those words... the ones regarding the seeds being more vigorous in many ways... but my keen eye has to disagree with the root form words. Perhaps these words were better designed for a traditional soil grow rather than hydro.... or perhaps it's the crazy perlite medium I use.... but my eyeball doesn't lie to me very often.

I'd buy many of those words... the ones regarding the seeds being more vigorous in many ways... but my keen eye has to disagree with the root form words. Perhaps these words were better designed for a traditional soil grow rather than hydro.... or perhaps it's the crazy perlite medium I use.... but my eyeball doesn't lie to me very often.
I’ve no idea, I only know what I’ve read (which is extensive) and everything on the subject seems to say the same thing, clones got no tap root.

Now, I have no idea what that means in actual practice just figured it might be the reason you’re seeing more vigorous growth from your seed starts. Personally my clones seem to grow better than from seed, but I attribute that to experience with the cultivar and learning more from every grow.

I’ve no idea, I only know what I’ve read (which is extensive) and everything on the subject seems to say the same thing, clones got no tap root.

Now, I have no idea what that means in actual practice just figured it might be the reason you’re seeing more vigorous growth from your seed starts. Personally my clones seem to grow better than from seed, but I attribute that to experience with the cultivar and learning more from every grow.

If you forced Tead to put a number around the clone/seed issue, I'd probably give the seed plants maybe 10% better than clones.
I need to point out here.... I'm in an odd world. I can't even get seeds to pop in the summer months because there's just no place in my world that stays cool enough. Plus, not this year so far, but most of the years I can actually clone uncovered because our humidity (normally) stays so damn high.

Back
Top Bottom