Sweetsue's First Grow - Stealthy Trio of Autos Under CFLs

Making an Enzyme Tea

The soil must be maintained. Part of that maintenance is to regularly apply an Enzyme tea to more easily facilitate the chemical reactions that must occur for a smoothly operating soil community.

Enzymes are biological molecules (proteins) that act as catalysts (a substance that causes a chemical reaction to happen more quickly) and help complex reactions occur. We want the micro organisms to be able to break down all those nice minerals we loaded the soil with.

It turns out malted barley is a prime choice for this process. It's loaded with valuable enzymes and is already sprouted under rigorous standards. All you need to do is grind it up, bubble for at least four hours, amend and apply to the soil.

So let's get started, shall we?

First up - grind some malted barley grain. I bought this grinder last week knowing I needed one for grinding up garden things, $20 from Target'. I only need a quart for each plant, so let's start with a little less than a tablespoon.

image18937.jpg

Grind it up to a fine powder, or as close to powder as you can get. Maybe I need to grind a larger quantity and have it ready to go.

image18938.jpg

Into the bubbling pitcher with about a quart of water (chloramine free).....

image18939.jpg

..... drop in the air stone and bubble away. Leave it for at least four hours.

image18940.jpg

My basic recipe is gleaned from a post by Clackamas Coots on BlueJay's no-till journal.

Basic Enzyme Tea
- 1 oz. malted barley grain per gallon enzyme tea
- grind to powder
- add to about 1/2 gal. water and bubble 4-24 hours
- add 2 tsp. kelp
- strain and drain into bucket or watering can
- fill with dechlorinated water for desired volume
- add 1/2 oz. per gallon Ful-Power + 1/4 c. Aloe vera juice
- drench the soil

Gather up the supplies for the next stage - straining and amending the tea. A paint strainer will allow the greatest number of enzymes to pass through while still holding back the larger particles. Get out the aloe vera juice, the rehydrated kelp meal being stored in the back of the fridge and the fulvic acid (not shown here).

image18955.jpg

Strain the particulates out. These ended up being buried into the worm bin. Last time I was in there I topped everything off with some moist shredded newspaper and it made me smile to see worms all up and in there.

image18957.jpg

Add kelp. I figure about 1 tsp. should do it. Kelp is a superior additive to the garden for the Gibberellins you find in it. According to Wikipedia, "Gibberellins (GAs) are plant hormones that regulate growth and influence various developmental processes, including stem elongation, germination, dormancy, flowering, sex expression, enzyme induction, and leaf and fruit senescence."

image18959.jpg

Somewhere around 2.5ml of Ful-Power. I need to find out how much this is in tsp.

image18960.jpg

About 1/8 cup of Aloe Vera juice.

image18961.jpg

Top it off with enough water to make a half gallon total. I used a long chopstick to give it all a nice stir to get the kelp all mixed in. Into the living room and apply to the pots. I'm pretty sure they each got close to the same amount.

image18963.jpg

Happy, healthy plants. How will I know if they improve? We shall see.

image18964.jpg

This was crazy exciting. :laughtwo::green_heart:

just popping in too say great job:thumb: things look very nice and everythings still green a bud still growing :D good stuff for not so much light. how many watts u running? i like the organics ur giving them and the soil toppings. i need to get my hands on some guano, kelp meal and the likes :) :peace:

Thanks indochronic. At this point there are 390 watts burning. Though it works for many, I couldn't make myself purchase guano. It was one of the things that made LOS a good fit for me.

Enjoy the closing dance. :green_heart:

Daily Update: Day 63 (THC Bomb Auto) & Day 62 (Buddha Magnum Auto)

Two major occurrences yesterday, Backbuilding buds and a first enzyme tea using malted barley grain and fulvic acid. This morning they look every bit as healthy as they could be. I perceived a bit of upward growth so I measured and, sure enough, they've both increased by 1/4". The Bomb now stands 20 3/4" and Buddha is now 19 1/4". The Bomb took just over three cups of water to top off her reservoir. Buddha, thirsty girl, took a whole quart.

image18991.jpg

Using a flash makes the internal blossoms stand out to give a better view of what's going on inside the shelter of the fan leaves. I know many growers defoliate, but I can't let go of the thought that those leaves supercharge the energy highway in these plants. I can't bring myself to take any away. Obviously the buds are swelling just as effectively inside these plants, so why stress them at all?

The Bomb

image18992.jpg

The Buddha

image18993.jpg

Keep in mind when You look at these next two that these are Secondary colas.

The Bomb

image18994.jpg

The Buddha

image18995.jpg

I know, they take my breath away too.

Looking under the Bomb's skirts we find evidence of our very first fading leaf.

image18996.jpg

Here's the stuff that really excites me. Pick a random area on the Bomb with blossoms. Any area will do.

image18997.jpg

Now zoom in and appreciate the way the trichomes slip onto the fan leaves and begin their march out towards the tips.

image18998.jpg

Isn't that the coolest thing?:laughtwo::green_heart:

No look at this secondary cola on Buddha. She makes the trichomes on the Bomb look like wannabes.

image18999.jpg

Pistils are changing quickly. Definitely getting close now. Another week and I'll be pulling out the jeweler's loop to check the trichome ratios.

image19000.jpg

While adjusting for the lights after the 1/4 turn I discovered I'd used all the S-hooks. Suddenly I was inspired by something I saw on B A R's journal the other day and grabbed a clothespin. It worked so well I used another. Just the right weight to keep the leaves from crisping and allowing me to get in nice and close.

image19001.jpg

Thanks for that idea Reg. :love:

I wanted to share that the ulcer on Dale's foot is responding better than I thought to the comfrey root. It scares the beejeezers out of me and I feel totally out of my league caring for such a serious wound, but the nurse practitioner assures me that I'm doing an excellent job. We started treating it with the aloe vera as well, so let's see what some good old-fashioned holistic care can really do.

Have a wonderful day all.

:Namaste:

During our conversations with the High Brix group the other day DocBud shared with us a list of what's in their amendments, foliar sprays and drenches. I've been looking that list over and I have some concerns, which I will be sharing with the HB group in hopes of getting clarification. There appear to be inorganic fertilizers and a multitude of added salts. It left me feeling very uncomfortable, but I will wait until I get clarification. There may be more here than meets the eye.

During our conversations with the High Brix group the other day DocBud shared with us a list of what's in their amendments, foliar sprays and drenches. I've been looking that list over and I have some concerns, which I will be sharing with the HB group in hopes of getting clarification. There appear to be inorganic fertilizers and a multitude of added salts. It left me feeling very uncomfortable, but I will wait until I get clarification. There may be more here than meets the eye.

I feel ya.

I think the big thing is that those salts technically do occur naturally...but what gets me is that it is a very fine line between too much and just enough. Alot of the Hi-brix growers don't seem to understand quite what is going on with the kit they are using...which seems like a prime recipe for over fertilization. They are also chasing perfect soil...which is cool and all. But part of what makes LSO great is how unique each set up is and how resourceful we can be.

I am very interested though in seeing if we can obtain hi-brix without constantly recharging the soil and with out all the drench amendments. I think it possible!

I feel ya.

I think the big thing is that those salts technically do occur naturally...but what gets me is that it is a very fine line between too much and just enough. Alot of the Hi-brix growers don't seem to understand quite what is going on with the kit they are using...which seems like a prime recipe for over fertilization. They are also chasing perfect soil...which is cool and all. But part of what makes LSO great is how unique each set up is and how resourceful we can be.

I am very interested though in seeing if we can obtain hi-brix without constantly recharging the soil and with out all the drench amendments. I think it possible!

That's really really easy - buy a refractometer and learn how to use it. :thumb:

The instrument has nothing to do with the method of cultivation - it's blind to that - it only measures Brix.

How to take brix measurements

High Brix Refractometer Results Log & Data Thread - Post Your Brix Levels Here

Or not. I feel like I started a tempest, sorry. I just saw Sweetsue's list of ingredients and the cost, and was surprised that it was roughly the same as the cost of a kit. I love the foolproof HB method and was curious to see what y'all thought of it. Actually, on that score I'm pleased - got a better reception that I anticipated. At least you're not brushing it off as unheard-of and ridiculous like so many mainstream growers have.

:Namaste:

That's really really easy - buy a refractometer and learn how to use it. :thumb:

The instrument has nothing to do with the method of cultivation - it's blind to that - it only measures Brix.

But if you're going to test, please get some standardization to your testing methods! Dead leaves can often measure very high, simply because there isn't much moisture in them. Always choose healthy, vibrant tissue to test and use the same types of tissue each and every time.

I like to use a top, fan leaf and petiole when I test. I do this when I prune.

I feel ya.

Ummm....you are contantly recharging your soil.....don't you add things to it and use green mulches? Re-charging soil is a good thing!

PM me and I'll hook you up with a soil test....as long as you're growing a legal crop. If your crop isn't legal in your state I won't help you, for obvious reasons.

Can't thank you enough for your brilliant shares Sue. This journal I think will see traffic long after completion. -I know it will from me lol. Hahaha you even have DocBud watching your grow! That says something :) - for what its worth I'm thoroughly amazed by your work here :)

I was looking into DocBud's kit recently after some (not totally knowledgeable) misgivings about it as well and its great to see him come in here and clarify it so simply. I'm not a fan of my soft rock phosphates, but I also know they work from my dabbling in PeeJay's taught soil mix. I also came to the conclusion like ClosedCircuit that there is many natural/organic salts, and I definitely don't want an overabundance of those. I came away very impressed by DB's work, and satisfied that I'd love to smoke that bud lol. I'm not sure the style is totally for me, but some day I could definitely enjoy trying it out and seeing for myself. there's no denying that its organic, but for me I just gravitate towards a more slow-fed LOS/ROLS style, because I personally feel like it better mimics the natural processes that result in the best outdoor places to grow plants, with a little less nutrient manhandling and a bit more nudging in the right direction. I definitely consider PeeJay style soil, High Brix, LOS/ROLS as cousins. I just feel like the "greenest" cousin is LOS/ROLS ;) - though the brix tests always fascinated me. I want to try those some day.

I'm dreaming of some kind of controlled taste/smoke test from 3 plants (same strain, multiple test grows) in a controlled environment, grown all 3 different ways optimally. :dreamy: I imagine it would be a very close victory even if one stood out as best in flavor and potency. I think all are doing something very right. Staying organic is pivotal to me.

I won't post these on doc buds thread, out of respect. But take a look, these discussions regarding high brix aren't new. I've been privy to this info for a while, and was very happy I found it when I did.

https://logicalgardener.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=95

Interesting stuff.

I personally am not going to debate or discuss or argue with the brix'rs on the high brix Q&A thread here anymore. Seems best to let them do their thing. They enjoy it, why make waves in their house?
Here though is Sue's thread and I know sue and others will find these links very informative in the light of the current discussion.
Of course seekers of truth like myself want to be all over it(the discussion on the Q&A thread), especially when the word organics gets linked up with the high brix kit, and when they say we're cousins, but they are further down the same road. Come on, really?
Lastly,
Read this:

Soil Balancing: Mistaken Conclusions That Seem Scientific

Ok and this:
The nutrient dense gardening movement is flawed in my opinion.
A discussion that supports my viewpoint (and the other):
https://logicalgardener.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=100

That will keep the thinkers busy for a bit. :)

Ummm....you are contantly recharging your soil.....don't you add things to it and use green mulches? Re-charging soil is a good thing!

PM me and I'll hook you up with a soil test....as long as you're growing a legal crop. If your crop isn't legal in your state I won't help you, for obvious reasons.

Sorry, phrasing. I'm referring to the recharge kit (excuse me if that's not the name for it) you have/recycling. It stands out from what we do with regard to no-till.

I won't post these on doc buds thread, out of respect. But take a look, these discussions regarding high brix aren't new. I've been privy to this info for a while, and was very happy I found it when I did.

Interesting stuff.

I personally am not going to debate or discuss or argue with the brix'rs on the high brix Q&A thread here anymore. Seems best to let them do their thing. They enjoy it, why make waves in their house?
Here though is Sue's thread and I know sue and others will find these links very informative in the light of the current discussion.
Of course seekers of truth like myself want to be all over it(the discussion on the Q&A thread), especially when the word organics gets linked up with the high brix kit, and when they say we're cousins, but they are further down the same road. Come on, really?
Lastly,
Read this:

Ok and this:

Thanks CO. I will definitely follow all those links later. I find myself disconcerted. How does one use inorganic fertilizers and call it organic? I can't get past that one. I get that they have an active soil community, but something doesn't feel right to me. It's not about the beautiful plants for me. Their a bonus. It's about avoiding the chemicals.

I agree, their happy with their results. So am I, without any of the questions nagging in the back of my mind. I think you understand.

Interesting stuff.

Lastly,
Read this:

Ok and this:

Thanks for this!

And you're right...I'm just going to drop it because some people got defensive. I guess I ask too many questions. :) Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom