Stanks Go Perpetual In 2018!

I washed my first harvest. Noticed quite a few trichomes in the first two buckets. Probably lost some potency. But the amount of hair and dust that came off was surprising and couldn’t have hurt the product too much.

The smells were also slightly reduced but that is in comparison to flowering.

I don’t have a comparison but the washed bud smoked very smooth. Gets everyone messed up too. So any loss of potency is minor.

I think the genetics have a huge role in taste and potency. The wash won’t hurt it too much IMO. I am not washing this round to try and see for myself.

The timing of harvest can impact taste. However it is strain dependant. Some folks harvest certain strains earlier to keep certain terps in the taste. Harvesting late can make some strains a bit less tasty. It’s best to experiment for yourself. Cut some early, cut some late, cure the same way and then do a smoke test.

Not sure this helps but that is what I have seen after one grow, bid wash, and cure.

Blew, do you do much wet trimming? I know on my very first harvest I did all the trimming wet and I got a very strong hay smell that took a while to disappear. I no longer take much besides fan leaves when I cut it down. I do the bud wash and hang dry for 2-4 days (depending on humidity) and then I trim any of the bigger sugar leaves I dont want to keep on. I don't really trim for bag appeal so I don't mind the small sugar leaves drying and curling around the bud. I find with less wet trimming....I get a better smell during the dry and cure process.
I wash and dry same way, then trim more after 4-6 days of drying. My Hawaii friend says my buds look "amazing" just dings me on taste and smell (my local friends don't critique! But I like having someone who buys 3-4 different strains a month. He knows shit about growing, but def knows what he likes.)

Back to your original question about smells and tastes. I dont know that I can give you answer for that question. I am sure that the medium you grow in impacts it. I know that my stuff is my Stank Soil has phenomenal terpenes and is exceptionally smooth. I struggle with tastes on my weed and taste it much more when I vape the flower than smoke it in the bong. Some of the bottle growers use products that are supposed to increase the terpene strength and improve tastes but I don't use those. Wish I could help a bit more but I am not sure.

My soil is much better this year since I am using finished VC (and the rest), so that is part of the learning curve. Also using larger pots over last summer GH grow. Additionally, I just finished my first indoor (winter) grow...so there are a LOT of variables I am tracking! Personally I am searching for the 3-4 strains that I like and can run routinely. I am becoming increasingly aware that genetics is a huge component and keeping an eye for what works for my situation.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I washed my first harvest. Noticed quite a few trichomes in the first two buckets. Probably lost some potency. But the amount of hair and dust that came off was surprising and couldn’t have hurt the product too much. The smells were also slightly reduced but that is in comparison to flowering. I don’t have a comparison but the washed bud smoked very smooth. Gets everyone messed up too. So any loss of potency is minor.

I think the genetics have a huge role in taste and potency. The wash won’t hurt it too much IMO. I am not washing this round to try and see for myself. The timing of harvest can impact taste. However it is strain dependant. Some folks harvest certain strains earlier to keep certain terps in the taste. Harvesting late can make some strains a bit less tasty. It’s best to experiment for yourself. Cut some early, cut some late, cure the same way and then do a smoke test.

Not sure this helps but that is what I have seen after one grow, bid wash, and cure.

@UrbanAchiever all of this is helpful, thanks...my friend in Hawaii never heard of washing and thought I was nuts. I told him he needed to see the shit in the first bucket! I have noticed the smoke is deceptively smooth as well...

There is an old saying "You are what you eat". I firmly believe that you can feed your plants different things and alter the way they smell and taste. I have used 3 different additives on 3 plants of the same strain grown together as an experiment. They were just small Green Crack clones I was probably going to throw away. Anyway, all 3 plants started to flower at the same time. Once they started flowering every other feeding I gave them their additive. Plant one got honey. Plant two got molasses. Plant 3 got Dr. Pepper. I continued to give each plant their additives until I started their flush. Now, on the plants the buds smelled pretty much the same while flowering. But after 4 weeks in the jars curing........I could pick each jar out by smell blindfolded. Quite distinct aromas.

Hell yeah we are!! Can't wait to see some SCROG'd ATF! They look great Ase, but we don't imagine them being anything other than that in your hands brother! Curious what smells you are going to get.

I don't think I followed your journal (or have seen too many other journals) that grew your ATFs. I sometimes get locked into my own journal and don't go exploring too often anymore. Was there a few distinct (or different) smells between the bunch?

There is an old saying "You are what you eat". I firmly believe that you can feed your plants different things and alter the way they smell and taste. I have used 3 different additives on 3 plants of the same strain grown together as an experiment. They were just small Green Crack clones I was probably going to throw away. Anyway, all 3 plants started to flower at the same time. Once they started flowering every other feeding I gave them their additive. Plant one got honey. Plant two got molasses. Plant 3 got Dr. Pepper. I continued to give each plant their additives until I started their flush. Now, on the plants the buds smelled pretty much the same while flowering. But after 4 weeks in the jars curing........I could pick each jar out by smell blindfolded. Quite distinct aromas.
Honey, huh? What's the deal there...we raise bees....

I don't think I followed your journal (or have seen too many other journals) that grew your ATFs. I sometimes get locked into my own journal and don't go exploring too often anymore. Was there a few distinct (or different) smells between the bunch?
On the seeds we grew out, no not much difference really. They were interesting girls....one was a little smaller so I was kind of focusing on the big sister(ATF#2). Luckily I took clones from both. The original plan (until harvest time) was to breed the bigger girl and just grow out the other clone (ATF #1). But as flower finished and I weighed the harvest, #1 out yielded #2 by about 25% despite being the smaller plant. I held off on breeding until the cure to figure out which one had the better smoke. I compared many samples on many different occasions and could never tell a difference in the potency or high. They were both incredibly strong and immediate relief for my back. So I changed my mind and breed out #1 (better yielder, had same scent as her big sister as well....coudn't tell a difference in the smell at all). I haven't grown out any of the ones I made yet. So the impact of the male I selected to breed with #1, could have imparted a different terpene profile. Might be why Chris's ATF smelled so different to him than mine did to me. I want to grow one out to test now.

I also did pollinate #2 and have several hundred seeds with that same male I used. Curious to see the difference....maybe when I grow out ATF again, I will grow out one female of both moms and see which I like better. Please keep me posted on any specifics you notice on them, so I can add it into my notes.

Lil Blue (Blue Dream Clone 1.2) Flip Day 9, Day 2 With Hairs

This girl looks good, happy and healthy. She is stretching pretty good. Took a couple of books out that we had her propped up on. Another week and we will start getting the answer to the nanner question. Not a whole lot to report on her at this time! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Blue Dream Clone 1.1 Day 40, Day 32 With Roots

This girl is loving her bigger pot. I put the ropes on this girl today to try and spread her out a bit and keep her on the shorter side. I am hoping that I can keep her manageable for another 3 weeks, as I should know about the cause of the nanner issue. By then I can either kill this one off or take some clones and proceed with the breeding.

Bonus Update - Tent Shots

Veg Tent - Jack Herer Auto, White Widow, Blue Dream 1.1, Hindu Kush

Flower Tent - Blue Dream, Lil Blue, Nukehead 1 & 2, Harlequin, and Northern Lights

Honey, huh? What's the deal there...we raise bees....
I only use honey if I'm temporarily out of molasses. Below is why I use molasses. I mix 1 Tbs to 1 gallon of water. This I believe is not recommended for growing in a hydroponic setup.

While molasses is quite rich in nutrients, it is primarily used as a carbohydrate source for the organisms in your soil, effectively feeding the soil and improving it as a foundation for your cannabis. The microorganisms found within the soil play a vital role in the growth of your cannabis, and they also require the right nutrients to thrive. By giving them molasses you ensure they have what they need, and subsequently boost the structure, moisture retention, microorganism content and efficiency of the soil – which in turn benefits your cannabis.

In addition to improving the base quality of the soil, using molasses to irrigate your crops can also help prevent the build-up of pathogens that will potentially harm your plants, as well are reduce salt build up that can cause nutritional problems. Molasses contains a good amount of macro- and micro-nutrients, all of which are essential to cannabis health to one degree or another. As both macro- and micro-nutrients are not required in huge amounts, it can sometimes be quite hard to diagnose a deficiency. By regularly adding molasses to your grow you can ensure your cannabis has everything it needs.

I’m always in awe every single time I come here. That outdoor stankberry is amazing!!

Honestly I think your plants are the most beautiful I see on any platform I use. You guys should be on instagram, posting this goodness for the world:) I feel like you need your own warehouse, I’ll come work for you and you guys can teach me:D

Aaaand your using soil, I just really can’t get over it. As always, it’s a pleasure:)

@Blew Hiller I wash and hang using lemon juice and baking soda. I let them hang dry for 24 hours then into jars or brown bags in the fridge. I’ve tested the fridge cure with washed vs not washed. After about 5-7 days the washed always smells less like hay and more like delish dank weed:)

I’ve also tested the wash vs unwashed using a 5-7 day hang dry. The washed always tastes and smells better. I’ve also tested on my pals without telling them what’s what;)

I wash and hang using lemon juice and baking soda. I let them hang dry for 24 hours then into jars or brown bags in the fridge. I’ve tested the fridge cure with washed vs not washed. After about 5-7 days the washed always smells less like hay and more like delish dank weed:)

I’ve also tested the wash vs unwashed using a 5-7 day hang dry. The washed always tastes and smells better. I’ve also tested on my pals without telling them what’s what;)

Good to hear...:)

I only use honey if I'm temporarily out of molasses. Below is why I use molasses. I mix 1 Tbs to 1 gallon of water. This I believe is not recommended for growing in a hydroponic setup.

While molasses is quite rich in nutrients, it is primarily used as a carbohydrate source for the organisms in your soil, effectively feeding the soil and improving it as a foundation for your cannabis. The microorganisms found within the soil play a vital role in the growth of your cannabis, and they also require the right nutrients to thrive. By giving them molasses you ensure they have what they need, and subsequently boost the structure, moisture retention, microorganism content and efficiency of the soil – which in turn benefits your cannabis.

In addition to improving the base quality of the soil, using molasses to irrigate your crops can also help prevent the build-up of pathogens that will potentially harm your plants, as well are reduce salt build up that can cause nutritional problems. Molasses contains a good amount of macro- and micro-nutrients, all of which are essential to cannabis health to one degree or another. As both macro- and micro-nutrients are not required in huge amounts, it can sometimes be quite hard to diagnose a deficiency. By regularly adding molasses to your grow you can ensure your cannabis has everything it needs.
Interesting. How often is "regularly"?
:thanks:

Black Cherry Punch Clone Day 11

This girl is slowly looking better. Leaves are getting bigger and new growth is continuing. I suspect that she is filling the new pot with roots right now and we will see some good growth soon. I continue to wash her leaves. Saw one more thrip larvae crawling around on one leaf. Hope I got rid of her today and they are all gone. They will stay in the clone tent until I give it an all clear.

Interesting. How often is "regularly"?

Every other feeding right up through the beginning of flushing if you flush. If you're in soil I see no reason not to feed the plants with it till you cut them down.

Tangie x Ghost Train Haze Clone Day 11

She didn't look good when I transplanted her. Didn't see any roots coming out of the rapid rooter plug. I dusted away all the old soil and trans planted her into the Stank Soil and she has sat there for the last 6 days. Dare I say she might look like something is happening under the soil? Here she was last update......

And here she is today. Is it just my wishful thinking that I think she looks a bit greener and healthier with signs of new growth? I hope its starting to root!

I’m always in awe every single time I come here. That outdoor stankberry is amazing!!

Honestly I think your plants are the most beautiful I see on any platform I use. You guys should be on instagram, posting this goodness for the world:) I feel like you need your own warehouse, I’ll come work for you and you guys can teach me:D

Aaaand your using soil, I just really can’t get over it. As always, it’s a pleasure:)

@Blew Hiller I wash and hang using lemon juice and baking soda. I let them hang dry for 24 hours then into jars or brown bags in the fridge. I’ve tested the fridge cure with washed vs not washed. After about 5-7 days the washed always smells less like hay and more like delish dank weed:)

Thanks for the kind words Newty! We appreciate it......high praise really! Neither one of us are big fans of social media and avoid all except here at all costs. I know it would be wise to get on there as we move forward with Stank Genetics but we are holding off for now LOL.

I’m cheering for the little BCP!
I think the BCP will be fine, it had nice little roots when I transplanted her. Its the Tangie x GTH that I was worried about but I think its trying to do something!!

Back
Top Bottom