Hi SIP clubbers! I wanted to show off some results of an 18oz Solo SIP cup I have going on with some Blueberries. These are 5 days out of the soil right now using the SIP design @Azimuth outlined on page 2. She was watered from the top only once, and only with 10ml of water, to treat with mosquito bit-soaked water. All other watering has been done by dipping the solo cup into a pitcher to fill the res through the overflow hole every 2 days so far.

Blueberry_1_Roots_Day5.jpg

I'm stoked to see roots in the air layer after only 7 total days in the cup (5 days from emerging from soil).

This brings me to a question: how long are others waiting to top up their solo sip reservoirs? So far after 5 days I've filled the res twice, which has been 2 days apart. So tomorrow the res is going to be empty but of course the media is still moist. Even at this frequency I'm still observing roots making it to the air layer within a week, which from what I've seen is pretty good, right?
Aspen, thanks for sharing this!!
That is very exciting to be able to uppot SIPs!

Notice the plant on the right has an explosive growth in the center of the plant - I broke one of the main colas and she responds like this...
FWIW, when I top between nodes 4 and 5, that seems to be when the explosive growth begins for me.
Not sure if that's my false perception, or why it might be, really. But it does seem like topping between 4 and 5 jump starts the little girls. (Not sure on that, though.)

How quickly does your SIP wick? I am just wondering how long before the wetness gets to the roots. Do you top water at all Otter?
I top off water every day and so far it's drinking about a pint a day. Very little for this size and stage plant. As Azimuth has mentioned it's going to be a week or two before it makes proper roots for the new situation. I haven't top watered at all. I may should have at least once at potting up but didn't.

Azi, what should I expect of my roots in my swick SIP? I went from swicking the sprouts to swicking the final 20 L pots. When I did the up pot I observed spindly roots that I thought hadn't developed properly. Even though the plants were very small when I upcanned I wonder if those roots were developing for SIP. I wonder what they will be doing now. The bottom of my grow bags is cool and moist but not wet. The bags are swicking and the plants are praying. The bottoms are wetter and it gets gradually drier. I stuck a long skewer into the soil and left it for a while. When I pulled it out it had damp soil stuck to it all the way to the top.
You should expect the similar small, thin feeder roots like we get in SIP. You'd get the big, fat, white water seeking roots if you went thru the wet/dry cycle, but in your swick st-up there should be moisture always available so the plant does not need to spend much energy looking for water so it can concentrate on above ground growth.

11 gallon SIP home made is the plan for my ladies when they pop! (Dimensions: 29.25 x 13.75 x 10.75)

Im limited on tent space (240x240) so thinking i can fit 2 plants in one SIP........... Good idea or not?
Welcome Happy! @StoneOtter just up-potted into his 12 gallon (he thinks) pot and I'd think one is about all you'd want to do. Depends on veg time, I guess, the longer you go the bigger the plant.

And these things grow much bigger plants so you really can often get away with fewer plants for the same or larger harvest.

Looking forward to your design/build. :thumb:

Come ask at the SIP club.
This is SIP Club. :laughtwo:

You probably meant The Everything SWICK Club

I top off water every day and so far it's drinking about a pint a day. Very little for this size and stage plant. As Azimuth has mentioned it's going to be a week or two before it makes proper roots for the new situation. I haven't top watered at all. I may should have at least once at potting up but didn't.
I've had a bit better luck not starting them off with topping the reservoir up every day as that seems to set the perched water table too high and it takes a bit longer to get them going as they transition.

Now what I do is pot up my plant, water lightly right around the stem to show the roots the way and then fill the reservoir less than half way. From there I monitor the reservoit daily to make sure there's at least some water still sitting in there but I don't add any more until it drinks what's there.

Your plant is larger than the ones I transplant so maybe your's is drinking faster. I figure that if there is still watyer in the reservoir it has more than it currently needs and having a lower water table initially seems to help get things going faster. Once I get to flower or it starts emptying the reservoir daily I will then keep it topped up, and @Buds Buddy fills his reservoirs twice a day in flower for even larger plants.

speaking of auto irrigating SIPs - has anyone here checked out the rain gutter grow system? I'm curious if @ReservoirDog or @Emilya Green (who use wicking feet SIPs) see any difference in growth from a wick-footed pot vs standard SIP. If not, rain gutter style may be a thing you guys would be interested in.

good (old) page with plenty of pics illustrating:
great vid that shows a lot of variations of the Rain gutter grow systems:

Hello SIP club. I would like to show you my bucket with my Bubble Kush and today I put 2.5 liters of water in the tank and I think it looks good.
IMG_20230104_190925.jpg
IMG_20230104_190915.jpg
IMG_20230104_190908.jpg

And for comparison, I put the second Bubble Kush in a fabric pot and I think the difference can already be seen.
IMG_20230104_190929.jpg

I just have a question, what should I be PH in SIP? Like in the soil in which it is 6.3 or something? Thanks for the reply.

Azi how did the clone experiment play out?
We do move kind of fast and sometimes it's hard to keep up. ;) (2/8).

Results here

I'm going to try the bubble cloner experiment starting tonight. I took 4 cuts of my ACDC (CBD plant) a couple of days ago and they have been sitting in a glass of water. I plan to try 4 different stem heights , all above the waterline to see if that makes any difference, and will dip each in aloe before putting in the cloner.

Other than that, nothing. They don't need a dome because of the water based method. So, I'll put them in and check on them after a week or so.

I know, duh right! I thought he and I were chatting in his introductory thread. I didn't realize he'd taken the conversation over there already. Good, I'm glad he did.

No, but he has that info too if he needs it, thank you Azi :)
OK so I'm confused. Isn't a SIP and a SWICK the same thing, one using a soil wick and one using a manufactured wick?

We do move kind of fast and sometimes it's hard to keep up. ;) (2/8).

Results here

I'm going to try the bubble cloner experiment starting tonight. I took 4 cuts of my ACDC (CBD plant) a couple of days ago and they have been sitting in a glass of water. I plan to try 4 different stem heights , all above the waterline to see if that makes any difference, and will dip each in aloe before putting in the cloner.

Other than that, nothing. They don't need a dome because of the water based method. So, I'll put them in and check on them after a week or so.
Thanks Azi😊 I kind of figured on limited success at best as the level of your reservoir would be paramount. Excellent that some worked though ,so a full on wet sip is almost what is needed. Thats a great starting point for the next try. How far is it from the top of your reservoir to the surface of your soil? Thank You again and sorry I missed this post. For some reason my email notifications won't stay running on this thread.👊

Back
Top Bottom