tututut! with transplanting clones into them.
nay-nay tut-tut!

The SIP was drinking from the rez no problem, early on. But the medium started to become deficient in nutes around day 14-17, because I wasn't fertigating yet. Reason... I'm not used to growing in 4 gal of medium, even though I'm using very good custom-made, living, organic super soil. I was thinking it wasn't time yet to fertigate. Now it's obvious I'm late.

I think if I would have started fertigating both plants around day 14-17, the SIP plant would now be deep green, healthy, and bigger than the nursery pot plant. Both would be deep green and healthy, but the SIP would be ahead.

nay-nay tut-tut!

The SIP was drinking from the rez no problem, early on. But the medium started to become deficient in nutes around day 14-17, because I wasn't fertigating yet. Reason... I'm not used to growing in 4 gal of medium, even though I'm using very good custom-made, living, organic super soil. I was thinking it wasn't time yet to fertigate. Now it's obvious I'm late.

I think if I would have started fertigating both plants around day 14-17, the SIP plant would now be deep green, healthy, and bigger than the nursery pot plant. Both would be deep green and healthy, but the SIP would be ahead.
I still feel there's benefit to starting in the sip and even if it's just water just by the mechanics of it the roots will race towards the reservoir which results in accelerated growth couple days down the line.
But yes then indeed they have to get hit with nutes at the right time.
4G through in just over two weeks.. ohoh..
so what would one need to sustain a plant through ssoil & sip & water? 50G's?

I still feel there's benefit to starting in the sip and even if it's just water just by the mechanics of it the roots will race towards the reservoir which results in accelerated growth couple days down the line.
I transferred from a 1 gal pot and the roots were literally a couple inches from the reservoir... that's nothing given the speed of root growth. The CBD plant I have in the SIP now is going great and roots are fully in the rez.

But yes then indeed they have to get hit with nutes at the right time.
4G through in just over two weeks.. ohoh..
It does seem odd to me. Different strains/phenos will behave differently in this regard. But, perhaps my mix was a bit off. This is the first time I've mixed 1/3 coco, 1/3 compost soil, and 1/3 worm castings, w/ perlite and nutes. Perhaps I was somewhat lite on the nutes. Perhaps 1/3 coco was too much, in terms of a good "matrix" to hold the nutrients. In the future, I'm thinking of cutting that amount of coco in half, and adding in its place more compost soil.

Then again, I like the ease of using that much coco, but it does imply early fertigation. The plants were looking stellar up to around day 17... they were loving the medium.

So, this brings up the general question for me... should I try to maximize the super soil (4 gal), or should I see the SIP grow as being mostly like a soilless grow? The later feels right to me. After all, it's the presence of the nutes in the reservoir that brings the magic.

so what would one need to sustain a plant through ssoil & sip & water? 50G's?
It's an interesting idea... a big SIP that relies on super soil for the entire grow (or almost the entire grow). I'm not so interested in that, because I'm trying to cut down on the amount of soil that I'm having to mix by hand. I was starting to have some good success with 10 gal pots, then decided to try out 5 gal SIP. My target yield is 8 oz of dry bud, because that's the amount of space the bud dryer that I'm building will handle. So, that seems to be an easy target to reach with a 5 gal SIP.

I transferred from a 1 gal pot and the roots were literally a couple inches from the reservoir... that's nothing given the speed of root growth. The CBD plant I have in the SIP now is going great and roots are fully in the rez.
Yeah that's why I said tut with transplanting clones in them, I'm talking about there's benefit of starting in a SIP.. taproot has to travel long way to the res which she will instantly get to.
Roots and their waterdrive are a force of nature 😆

I filled sips after a week, but I also made sure there was a splash in the bottom, just not enough to hit the slit to get absorbed, as my res is molded I could take it off if I want all the rest is contained in the top half.

Highya CBD dude,

So, what is the bud drier you're making? Happy Smokin'

It does seem odd to me. Different strains/phenos will behave differently in this regard. But, perhaps my mix was a bit off. This is the first time I've mixed 1/3 coco, 1/3 compost soil, and 1/3 worm castings, w/ perlite and nutes. Perhaps I was somewhat lite on the nutes. Perhaps 1/3 coco was too much, in terms of a good "matrix" to hold the nutrients. In the future, I'm thinking of cutting that amount of coco in half, and adding in its place more compost soil.

Then again, I like the ease of using that much coco, but it does imply early fertigation. The plants were looking stellar up to around day 17... they were loving the medium.

So, this brings up the general question for me... should I try to maximize the super soil (4 gal), or should I see the SIP grow as being mostly like a soilless grow? The later feels right to me. After all, it's the presence of the nutes in the reservoir that brings the magic.

It's an interesting idea... a big SIP that relies on super soil for the entire grow (or almost the entire grow). I'm not so interested in that, because I'm trying to cut down on the amount of soil that I'm having to mix by hand. I was starting to have some good success with 10 gal pots, then decided to try out 5 gal SIP. My target yield is 8 oz of dry bud, because that's the amount of space the bud dryer that I'm building will handle. So, that seems to be an easy target to reach with a 5 gal SIP.
Ahoy Sipsters,
All this talk about the composition of the medium, and the effects on the young cannabis plants makes me want to chime in a bit. Hope nobody minds the interruption.

The amazing success of the faux HP medium @farside05 created has had me going some 5 years now. The key was in the lime treatment allowing for ph stabilization a few days prior to needing the medium. Make a good slurry and give her 48 hours of rest.

Back
Top Bottom