Relaxed's 2014 Outdoor Medical Grow

Thanks for all that info. Took a bit of time to write. But i will use it all to my advantage i hope. Maybe i might start bending it over like KJC said that way i can keep an eye on the cola when it starts. Sounds like i have a lot of work to do on this plant in the near future. Thanks for all the advice Lester.

Good morning weed Lester. The doctor at work. :thumb: Been pretty warm here and everything is growing like crazy. Happy Weedsday

Good Morning weed Bee :) Yeah! We are seeing some real nice growth down here too. Your plants are going to be beastly. I'm here for you Brotha! :cheer:

Thanks for all that info. Took a bit of time to write. But i will use it all to my advantage i hope. Maybe i might start bending it over like KJC said that way i can keep an eye on the cola when it starts. Sounds like i have a lot of work to do on this plant in the near future. Thanks for all the advice Lester.

You are very welcome! :high-five:

Whenever Lester types a long response, you know there's something to be learned in there. I have lots of ugly, black, caterpillars in my yard that really give me the creeps, thinking of one of those ugly bastards in my buds.......... *shudders*
Luckily enough for me, like Les mentioned, other plants can draw their attention away from your lovely cannabis plants. We're growing lots of broccoli, okra, tomatoes, squash, peppers, you name it, with lots of marigolds and different herbs too. Lots of bugs avoid marigolds and basil in my experience. The broccoli and peppers seem to be absorbing the brunt of the caterpillar assault, haven't found one on my plants. I also soak my main stem around the base with neem oil just as a small preventative measure throughout the grow. I'm not really in the budding stage of the grow yet though, so I'm sure the worst is yet to come.

What is bt? Is it a spray aimed at caterpillars/moths? -sorry for my ignorance.

This is one of the most educational current threads on 420 mag IMO, thanks Lester! :Namaste::nicethread:

Whenever Lester types a long response, you know there's something to be learned in there. I have lots of ugly, black, caterpillars in my yard that really give me the creeps, thinking of one of those ugly bastards in my buds.......... *shudders*
Luckily enough for me, like Les mentioned, other plants can draw their attention away from your lovely cannabis plants. We're growing lots of broccoli, okra, tomatoes, squash, peppers, you name it, with lots of marigolds and different herbs too. Lots of bugs avoid marigolds and basil in my experience. The broccoli and peppers seem to be absorbing the brunt of the caterpillar assault, haven't found one on my plants. I also soak my main stem around the base with neem oil just as a small preventative measure throughout the grow. I'm not really in the budding stage of the grow yet though, so I'm sure the worst is yet to come.

What is bt? Is it a spray aimed at caterpillars/moths? -sorry for my ignorance.

This is one of the most educational current threads on 420 mag IMO, thanks Lester! :Namaste::nicethread:

Sounds like your garden is filled with all kinds of goodies! :yummy: You're definitely right on about the broccoli, we have the heirloom variety called Romanesco, it took over 365 days of growing for them to start flowering - and when it did, it was really cool ;). We have 6 of them in the ground in different areas in the yard. The bugs really love broccoli, so many tight nooks and crannies to be protected by and kept warm at night. When I find a bunch of bugs in the broccoli I usually blast them out with the jet function on the hand-held hose.

Having lots of tomatoes is definitely a plus too :) :high-five: Feel free to check out all my other plants,pets, and flowers in my regular garden (off-topic) thread :Namaste: And you are right, the vulnerability of the plants increases as we get through flowering, so diligence levels must be high!! :tokin:

About the Bt, aka Bacillus thuringiensis, it's another feat of biochemistry Bacillus thuringiensis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, very much like Spinosad. Specialized compounds which target the receptors of only certain organisms, mostly the treacherous budworms, and a few other insects. It's been used a lot in organic growing. Azamax is also a very similar and fascinating product (that OMM told me about), based off a similar mechanism but it works more generally and effects a broader base of insects such as aphids/whiteflies/certain beetles.The compounds must be ingested by the insect itself for it to have any effect, since they're all basically growth hormone regulators/feeding inhibitors that stop them from being able to eat anymore.

Your comment made my day, SoilGirl :thanks:! It is a pleasure to have you as a member of 420 Magazine and a subscriber to my journal! :passitleft: :circle-of-love: :ciao:

Gonna do a quick copy and paste of the info from Herbies (where I got the seeds)

KC Brains KC45 Seeds Info

"The KC 45 strain of medical marijuana is a unique hybridization between Ruderalis and Sativa strains. Specifically, Russian Ruderalis is crossed with Brazilian Sativa. Cannabis Ruderalis is a subspecies, like Indica and Sativa, that is unique to Russia. Ruderalis strains are known to "autoflower", meaning they automatically begin flowering when they reach a certain age as predetermined by genetics. In other words, Ruderalis strains of cannabis do not begin flowering based on the number of light hours per day as do Indica and Sativa strains. KC 45 is such a naturally strong performer that she will even grow big, sticky, aromatic bud colas even in cloudy, nearly-sunless locales.
The Brazilian Sativa in KC 45 ensures that she packs a crisp, lucid head high to go along with her otherwise Indica-like buzz. Although she grows much better outdoors, KC 45 cannabis can also be grown under HID and LED lights. However, she is better outdoors as she tends to grow into a Christmas tree-shaped plant as tall as 7 feet. Regular reports of 3-pound+ yields, per outdoor plant harvested, are reported. Bud colas commonly measure up to a meter-long! The colas themselves are not very tight, but are compact. Individual buds are Sativa-slim and loaded with strong scents of lemon, especially when touched, ground or cut into.

The uplifting high of the KC 45 marijuana strain will hit you like a locomotive when you intelligently toke her. The Ruderalis acts to mellow the buzz a bit, making you feel less hyper than a straight-Sativa strain would. So, you end up calm, yet enlivened; pain-free and energetic too! "
! KC Brains KC45 Seeds - Herbies Seeds

Here is a direct link to earlier in the thread where I harvested my winter KC-45 plants that produced some very spiritual cannabis Relaxed's 2014 Outdoor Medical Grow. To clarify, my KC-45 has not shown me any expression of the ruderalis lineage, my specimens have indeed been photosensitive, and my winter plants went through a slight time of revegetation before I put it into light deprivation and salvaged the crop. I believe that my KC-45 has expressed itself to be the pure Brazilian land race sativa that it is, and fits right in here on the ocean. :surf:
:thanks:
/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info Lester!
First I first started reading that excerpt, I felt disappointed that it must be an autoflower - autos are not an interest for me really (although a 7 ft auto would work for me!).
Then I kept reading to see that you have found the strain photosensitive.
Sounds like a great strain.
Keep it hazy,
Duncan.

Gonna do a full photo shoot tomorrow guys, I am excited. The force flowers have progressed quite nicely, developing that signature "musty" smell. Trichome production has begun. Two of the force flowering phenotypes are compact, and seem to be similar to each other. Doesn't appear to be predominantly purple. The larger specimen of the FF batch is definitely a purple pheno, all I can hope is that it is also compact. It would be a dream come true ;)

General notes:

Force flowering plants were foliar sprayed with SNS-604B 90 minutes prior to being moved into the chamber, they were dried in the breeze during that time.

It appears that my soil infestation has gone to rest as a result of the recent SNS-203 drenching which I did a double dose of + soil spray after. No signs of problems yet, I may consider another drenching to finish the job if I see anything crawling in there. The SNS-203 is like liquid gold to me.

White tent fabric has been completely removed for the past few days. The pure sunlight is very refreshing to them. It is also said that high nitrogen levels and cooler temperatures during the sexing process can give rise to a higher female to male ratio, who knows, but we will hopefully sex some plants soon, I hope to weed a couple males out. I am praying that this specific Blueberry plant is a female, it is so vigorous and stinks, has tight internodal spacing and its just beautiful. Prolly be a male but oh well I can dream can't I?

Tent plants were sprayed in the breeze with SNS-217, followed by SNS-244 (which is becoming my favorite, just smell the 244 and WOW!), both are excellent products, I have yet to see anything but positive results from all SNS products.

KC-45 clones still rooting, I think they're just about to start growing, need to give them some more time, the cooler temps at night slow the rooting process down I'd imagine. No idea how they'll go, I hope they don't immediately flower because I want to keep them for the winter grow if possible.

I'm thinking there will be some KC-45 ready to harvest in mid to late August (roughly speaking). These things are flowering really quickly, once they get going at least. Excited to get my hands on some more KC-45 puff. ;)

End of notes section

Gonna do a full photo shoot tomorrow guys......Prolly be a male but oh well I can dream can't I?

Yabba dadda do - Lester's going to post some pics, folks. :party:

Good morning, RL. Terrific posts on bugs. Thanks. Better start checking myself. Fingers crossed for a lady for you. And yes, got to dream. Or as the poet wisely wrote:

A man's reach should exceed his grasp -
'Else what's a heaven for?

:circle-of-love:

Gonna do a full photo shoot tomorrow guys......Prolly be a male but oh well I can dream can't I?

Yabba dadda do - Lester's going to post some pics, folks. :party:

Good morning, RL. Terrific posts on bugs. Thanks. Better start checking myself. Fingers crossed for a lady for you. And yes, got to dream. Or as the poet wisely wrote:

A man's reach should exceed his grasp -
'Else what's a heaven for?

Good Greece Morning to Ya Mr. Teddy!

Hope you have a wonderful day gardening in the Sun. Don't forget to water those English Tomatoes and the Roses ;)

The Priest may want a sample when they're ready. :rofl:

It's nice to have a poet onboard ;) :surf:

Good Night from California! :ciao:

Good Greece Morning to Ya Mr. Teddy!

Hope you have a wonderful day gardening in the Sun. Don't forget to water those English Tomatoes and the Roses ;)

The Priest may want a sample when they're ready. :rofl:

It's nice to have a poet onboard ;) :surf:

Good Night from California! :ciao:

:rofl::rofl: best laugh of the day, good one Les :high-five: I like Teddy the Greek!:high-five:

Mornig Relaxed Lester. :ciao:

I had a question that I think you can answer. :)
I have only grown Indica or Indica Heavy strains before and I found that finding the harvest time very simple what with the ambering and early tric production being easy signs of maturity.
Now I'm growing a Sativa dominant Sour Diesel and I'm not nearly as confident. The tric's seem to be cloudy and clear mix. Can you give me an opinion on when you harvest Sativa's/ Sativa dom plants? I'm trying to prepare for the flush and I'm currently between 8 and 9 weeks into flower.
Thanks my friend.

At least something I've got that's green is growing. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Undeserved but thanks, RL *raises top hat respectfully* :cheer:

Cheers! :high-five:

:rofl::rofl: best laugh of the day, good one Les :high-five: I like Teddy the Greek!:high-five:

:thumb:

RL or anybody ever do the freeze dry method for the bud curing process?

I have not performed this method. :allgood:

Mornig Relaxed Lester. :ciao:

I had a question that I think you can answer. :)
I have only grown Indica or Indica Heavy strains before and I found that finding the harvest time very simple what with the ambering and early tric production being easy signs of maturity.
Now I'm growing a Sativa dominant Sour Diesel and I'm not nearly as confident. The tric's seem to be cloudy and clear mix. Can you give me an opinion on when you harvest Sativa's/ Sativa dom plants? I'm trying to prepare for the flush and I'm currently between 8 and 9 weeks into flower.
Thanks my friend.

Morning Brotha Spimp! :passitleft:

In my experience with my sativas, I have found that the trichome maturation rates are not completely uniform. So, to be quite honest, looking at the trichome color isn't my main distinguishing factor like it is for a lot of people. I realize that even after the plant is cut/drying that there are still biosynthetic reactions taking place, the cannabinoids are still slightly able to exchange elements and create new bonds for quite some time!

But, when I thoroughly look at the trichomes of my sativas, I have found that there is no perfect categorization of 1)clear trichomes , 2) cloudy trichomes, or 3) amber trichomes, it could be any combination of the 3 and because sativas adapt and live for so much longer in their flowering than indicas do ,they have to be able to keep pumping out fresh compounds to replenish anything that has degraded... I have found trichomes that are tinted amber AND clear at the same time and that is usually about as good as it gets for certain strains, and some sativa strains really do not amber for a very long long time, maybe even up to 14-15 weeks. So while the actual bud structure and density may be up to par and ready to harvest, if you're still waiting for ambers to show up, it could be so long that (for me outdoors) mold or worms could set in due to their vulnerability level. And it doesn't even make a difference anyway because I don't want the trichomes to degrade. It is my opinion that a simple color test of the trichomes is not enough supporting data to make a complete conclusion on the therapeutic level of your medicine, ultimately my sample cut which is quick dried in the EQ for 3-4 hours gives me a major heads up on how they stand. Personally I don't like a lot of amber trichomes, like none is fine for me as long as the buds have the correct flavors, and potency as revealed by the EQ sample.

So mainly I just take a sample (vaporizing only), and I "cup the cola" and gently squeeze, and see what the resistive force of the bud is on my hand. If it feels nice and dense and everything is filled about as nice as it could be, and my sample worked great, then I'm in the good to harvest some flowers.

That's just me though, indoor growers have a luxury of waiting around and controlling the humidity and all that jazz, so now you kinda know my philosophy on it, I don't even play around with the trichome colors too much, if the buds are filled in and dense and it gets me medicated and tastes amazing then I'm good. I always do take a peek to make sure they aren't over-ripe, some strains can degrade quicker than the buds have time to fill in (not normally the case). I'll stop here, and hopefully some of this gives you some guidance or helps a little. If your buds are firm, smell great, and you aren't using a flushing solution to accelerate the flushing process, then I would consider beginning your traditional flush in the next 3-4 days.

Just my two cents though! :tokin:

Man I would love to sit and smoke with you and pick your brain with the 8 million questions I have. Def filled with great knowledge. How do we give +reps cause u need some more.
-
On the bottom left of a Post is a Badge Icon. If you hover over it it will say "add to reputation". Click it to give Relaxed Lester his props! :high-five:

Good afternoon weed Lester. You be doing some good stuff there my friend. Good info. :high-five::bravo:

Just my two cents though! :tokin:

Ah, Lord Lester of California-shire. *Raises silver-tipped ebony cane and tips top hat in greeting* May I say, Sir, that your two cents worth is worth one thousand of our English guineas. Allow me to stand you a cocktail at The Savoy next time you are in town. A very good day to you, Sir.

Back
Top Bottom