Random Thoughts: Plants & Genetics

Trim trim trim, Rest for a while Trim trim trim.

Screwed up on one of the Tangalopes. Leaves were looking a little nasty so I added some cal/mag. Thing is I forgot that I had already did it the week before and didn't log it.. Should have trimmed the bad leaves off and logged it. You can't take Cal/Mag back. It won't even flush out. At least not in the time I have left. It needed it to finish but it only needed it once LMAO. Trichomes are over 1/2 cloudy so this one will get a couple days in the dark. If I leave it under the lights it will continue to burn up leaves. The darkness will help it finish with less damage. Nothing bad at all. The weed and everything will be ok. I was just hoping to get this one late in flower to see if Chocolate shows up. I still have the other plant and it is doing great. I will be able to see what they taste like with it.

As of now it is the only plant that had to be taken earlier than planned. As long as it is the only one it's all good. Everything else if bulking up perfectly. Not going to have the best tasting weed this year. Lots of the plants needed to many nuits late in flower to finish right. I got plenty of flush time for the Miracle grow to flush out. I gave a lot of plants some quanos to feed them to finish. Some of this will not be flushed out. Had to be done so no going back now LOL.

I prefer my plants to be hungry and show deficiencies at this time. My problem was I was at that point 3 weeks early. While I may lose flavor and it isn't going to burn real well. The end product will be better so all is good. On the bright side. That is only the case in one tent. The other is perfect and will all flush fine. Lots of Headband in that tent and a couple others that are going to be incredible.

That other tent also means I am going to hurt a few plants in the future LOL. Now I know the difference of 1 strain grown both ways. I can't deny I need to feed my plants more. With more feeding comes over feeding. I can get a ounce out of damn near anything. I just need to get 3 ounces out of some of them instead.

Ok back to not trimming. Lots of plants in the day to day range. No amber to speak of and most trichomes are at the 3/4 cloudy. Everything seems to have stalled out. I hate then end. Strains finish so much different it can be hard getting them all just right. So I wait. I am not losing THC so the wait is not a problem. I worry more about too many plants finishing at the same time. It is going to happen though. No way to stop it way to many plants at the same point in flower. How bad it will get is yet to be seen.

I don't need the room yet so no need to rush things. Next crop is started and under T-5's They will be fine tell I can move all the flowering plants to one tent. Only need a couple more plants to finish and they will all fit in the 60 x 60.

Going to be a early re-pot and under big lights this time. The extra growth from the HID light did wonders last grow.

I mentioned that I was taking the Tangalope early because of to much Cal/Mag. Changed my mind on that. I said that it is a nutrient that can't be flushed out. I think that is true but I don't know that it is true. I also know what the plant will do if it didn't get flushed out. It is going to burn itself up. Burning on the leaves was just starting. I don't need the trim and it is all that is being affected as of now. This strain is sativa dom so it should have a heady high at finish. Taking them to early can cost you a lot when it comes to effects.

I decided to see if I can flush this plant out. I flushed its volume of water through it yesterday. We will watch it from here on out. As long as the buds stay unaffected I will let it go. This plant could be a week or 2 weeks from finish. Not knowing is the biggest thing. A week and I would have been fine. 2 weeks and I would have lost a lot. Hope for the best and enjoy my break from trimming is all I can do LOL.

I am in day 69 since the lights we dropped back to 12/12. Most flower times are from the onset of flower so that explains the extra days. Drop a week or 2 from that time onmost strains as they started flowering at differnt times. No way am I going to count days since each plant showed hairs and started budding LOL way to much work.

I dont know how you do it with so many different strains all with different flowering times. I know I couldnt keep track lol I have a hard time with 3 different strains. I guess thats the difference in what I consider a master cultivator and a newb like myself. I cant wait to see some of your harvest pics bro!!

Had to keep this part separate. Right now it is the most interesting thing going on. The (Super Mystery Haze) is finished. I mentioned early on that it had very little lemon smell. It never got any stronger. It also finished a couple weeks before I figured it would.

All my SLH plants had great lemon smell. That is why I grew this plant. It was from a freebie seed and not from a breeder pack. So who knows what it really is. I just know that there is no lemon at all. It has more of a fruity smell and flavor then anything else. Even with no cure the fruitiness shines through on the inhale. With a spicy haze type finish.

This plant is going to get a long cure for 2 reasons. With smell and flavor good from the get go. A cure will definitely improve it. This strain is only a month of curing from great flavor. The test bud was the other reason. Along with the flavor came a really nice high. New strain so the effects were a mystery. After the first few hits it was very much a Haze. Before the joint was finished I was asleep. Flavor and high was so nice I kept taking a couple more hits. Maybe it was the situation maybe not. Thinking this one could be fun as hell.

Thing is Greenhouse has so many Haze strains. This one could be any of them. I doubt it is SLH. Am I disappointed? Hell no. While I didn't get lemon for a hybrid. What I got seems to be a whole heck of a lot better. Kind of why it is fun to grow freebies for hybrids. You can always throw them away or you could get lucky as I did here.

I dont know how you do it with so many different strains all with different flowering times. I know I couldnt keep track lol I have a hard time with 3 different strains. I guess thats the difference in what I consider a master cultivator and a newb like myself. I cant wait to see some of your harvest pics bro!!

Nope just a grower like yourself hanging on by my fingernails for dear life lol. I sometimes feel I know to much for my own good. I tend to try and pretend I know what a plant is going to do when it is a mystery to me also. The more you think you know the more plants will show you, You don't LMAO.
I know what can go wrong because I have already made most of those mistakes is all. Know what is happening when it is happening is still a learning process for me. Ie: trying to figure out when to harvest all these plants.

That is for sure Pennywise. The mystery of new plants is a lot of the fun of growing. I guess growing the same strain or plant over and over has its advantages. You can always strive for bigger and better. I really do plan on doing this in the future. When I have the space I will be able to keep mothers. Tell then I will enjoy the mystery of each seed as it comes up.

I am dealing with just that right now. New harvests bring totally new highs. While I have a idea of what a strain might do I don't know for sure till I smoke it. I just ran into just that with 2 plants.

I figured the Glueberry Og to be a indica dom strain. Blueberry has been known to have a great bottom end. Didn't happen here. Glueberry Og that I harvested is mostly like the Gorilla Glue. The smells flavors and type of high are the same. This plant is not extremely strong but has a nice high. It will fit in fine with this harvest. Just not where I had planned it to be.

All is good though. The Super Mystery Haze while still a mystery. Took its place. I really have no idea what this is. I just know it is strong. Nap time has been confirmed with this strain. The more you smoke the closer you get to nap time. This is really going to be a interesting strain. Pretty damn strong, you can get high 3 or 4 times with one joint. I am not saying you have to nap but you can at least. Not something I had planned to do with a Haze LMAO.

I got lucky this time as 2 strains just traded places. Plus they were single plants so I didn't get lots of it. When you have a bunch of one strain and it doesn't do what you expected. Then you can get into trouble. The more I want one certain strain to do just one thing the harder it gets. When I get to the point I have have 10 strains to rotate then all this random growing will end. By then I will know what they all do and how I will use them.

Someday when I get the mothers I want we may have to work on a clone swap LOL. I would love a keeper Chem 91. As long as a person trusted the trader to have what they say they have all would be good. A great way to spread clone only phenos.

Make a week end of it and have a huge clone swap meet. I know it's just a dream but it sure does sound nice.

I can't wait for the day I have a perfect Purple Betty mother. This strain is so good at what it does it will be a keeper for ever. All phenos are pretty good so it is a great strain to grow from seed. There is tons of difference between the best and the average. Mostly in flavor as there are lots of them that are strong. None are what could be considered as bad.

I have to say I will always grow new strains. I will never get over the mystery of what something now will do. I am finding I need variety less now I know more of what I like and what they will do. In the end you only need a few certain types of weed. No need for 5 diesel strains when you only need 2 to rotate so you have no issues with tolerance. In the end you could do fine with these basic types.

Haze.
Berry.
Hash Plant/ Afghani
Diesel/Chem.
Og
Kush
Lemon Sativa

Most every strain out there are variations of these. You can pretty much pick your high type to go along with the smells and favors you like. I am sure I missed something in there. The main thing is. Strains change. Smells Flavors and Highs are kind of consistent in marijuana. They change slightly but are mostly the same. You can find these variations in all kinds of places. Lots of times where you never expected them.

That is how I ended up with a menthol plant in a purps hybrid. This plant smells almost exactly like a Columbian Gold I just grew from World of Seeds. Just a tad more pine to the mint. There is no Columbian Gold in it at all.
It is also why there are so many blueberries that don't have the D.J. short genetics in it. Berries is a smell marijuana puts out. Just like all the other smells and flavors and highs. Percentages of each terpene change but the terpenes themselves are the same.

Like my Blueberry from DJ is more like a earthy musky taste with little berry terps but is a very nice indica. My Chem 91 is from CSI who got his from Skunk va so definitely the real deal clone only. So many phenos to look through Itll be a life long process for sure.

Breeding project is a success as of now. Finding seeds in everything so far. Regular pollen so it was pretty easy, just let the plants do what plants do. It looks like I will get plenty. Whether I use them or not I have them. Took a couple quick picks to show the out come.

1 nickel sized bud put out 30 or so seeds. At this rate I should get at least 100 seeds of each hybrid.

This is also my favorite so far. I can only base hybrids on the mothers as of now. The better and more interesting the mothers are the better my hybrids will be. Whatever this little seed was I still don't know. I really can't see it being SLH. NO as in absolutely none lemon terps to be found in this plant. High is very similar to a Haze tell it puts you to sleep LOL.

Because I was so hopeful for this hybrid I pollinated 2 branches instead of one. That means extra seeds from this plant. Good thing. Ithink I am going to like this one.

I know it was luck. I knew I needed luck pollinating unknown plants to begin with. That is why I did the paint the pollen on trick. Pollinate first decide later is not a known beeding style but it works for me LMAO.

I was a little sloppy on the Glueberry. It has a seed or 2 in some of the buds not on the pollinated branches. It is only the same plants that are affected. I have found no seeds on any of the other un-pollinated plants. I am not really losing much of my harvest and I am getting seeds for the future. I am getting a 1/8th to a 1/4 ounce of seeded bud from each plant the rest is mine to smoke. Learning to clean seeds again lol. I am amazed I got seeds cleaned without a Kiss Alive album cover LMAO.

Big tent took a big hit production wise. Not getting near what this tent should have done. Feeding problems at the wrong time of flower are hard to recovered from. The smaller tent just showed me how much. Lesson learned. At least I have one more winter crop to go. Hoping things go better next run.

Don't get me wrong. The plants are doing fine just not producing what they could. Getting over a ounce from each plant so it's not like I get nothing. What I have tried is plenty strong. I just wish there was more of it.

That is going to be a hard wait. Still don't know for sure how I will be growing next year. Don't know when for sure I will be able to try them. If I don't get relocated it will be back to feminized genetics again. Hopefully I will have some of my own feminized seeds to grow.

As of now I have at least one female strain I want to try. It will get tried this next year no matter what. I am hoping on some others to go along with them.

Starting to lose trichomes on the JC 2 female. What seeds are finished will be fine. I know there are lots. I just wanted to go as long as I could so more finish. I want to get at least a little of it to try. It has what I think they mean as a cleaner smell. This may or may not get me very high. It was pollinated right from the start of flower. So it is not Sensimilla. It will not put out as much THC as it would have with no pollen. That's the whole idea. No pollen makes them put out more resin to try and catch some. If pollen is available they will not go into resin overdrive.

The first Headband and Genius plants are finished up now. Really surprised to see the Headband finish so fast. I was checking them all and the Headband came up with all cloudy. This is the seeded plant also can wait to try it. From what I can tell as of nowI have high hopes. It is not producing very much. Not so much because of the feeding problems as the others. This pheno just is not going to be a producer. That fact makes me even more interested in it. Lots of great strains don't produce much. Don't mean that is the case here. That along with the strong sour smell Headband is known for makes me think this is going to have a great high. If that is the case this hybrid will jump to the top of my grow list.

Back
Top Bottom