Northern Lights Autos: FoNz's Fabulous First Grow

Ill hang out ;)
Glad to have you aboard!

Look forward to better pictures tomorrow with light that isn't so darn plurple on the camera, built a simple light setup specifically for photos

Glad to have you here FoNz! I’ll follow along if that’s ok!
Absolutely! Glad to have you along.
giphy.gif

Incoming photo storm with both natural light and combined. I ended up using some foil and a 60w soft white led with an old lamp cord connected to a socket to make a reflected light for photos. It did not offer enough light to get high quality close ups reliably so I'll be checking out alternatives.

A combination of the DSLR's flash and the LED in veg mode made some interesting pictures with better focus (with the LEDs on the DSLR can focus like it was sunlight). With full spectrum LEDs coming as far as they have eventually I might use some of those panels, once I need more panels or the current lights die (not likely soon).

Here are the photos!
a happy functioning apical meristemRunty closeupHoping this thumbnail posts right cuz the early trichome action is great in this photo.17320231732024Runty, some signs of stress/excess nutes which is why she's been getting straight water while she figures out how to grow, doing very well now.the galsgrowing so pretty

And here are a couple that I find kinda artistic but not as clear as the others.
Could be a desktop photoWeird glow and ghost effect from trying different lighting methods.

If you can be have the time, can you explain this?
No problem InTheShed,

I should note that this procedure is not mine and goes back to the biologist who discovered auxins in 1928 (or around there), Frits Went.

So what you'd need for this test is a tiny block of gelatinous agar either by preparing some agar agar powder yourself or nabbing some from the plant bio lab your friends works in. All you need is a tiny piece, 5mm x 5mm or so would be plenty.

Into this I placed two leaves (the ones missing from earlier photos that were removed anyways so that light could get to the growth areas) incision-side into the agar block and let sit for several hours. For me this was overnight, which was more than sufficient.

Using a spinach sprout (because they are fast growing and I had access to one), I cut off the tip of the sprout and placed a small cut piece of agar on the top slightly offset. By the time I got home that day, that sprout had grown more on the side with the agar which is a positive result for auxin in the agar, which came from the leaves of Runty originally.

Auxins as we understand them now are a group of plant hormones that regulate growth and phototropism (growing towards light sources) in plants, the most prominent and ubiquitous one being IAA (Indole-3 acetic acid). Normally the main shoot of a plant produces auxins which helps it grow towards light sources and prevent lateral buds (aka. suckers, off-shoots, stems, secondary stems, etc. depending on the term common to that plant and community) from growing and using resources that could be used to grow taller and thus better compete for space and light.

These hormones are also the reason why topping and to a less-extreme extent, fimming, work to promote growth in those lower branches. By topping a plant you are removing it's primary source of auxins and it no longer is signalling to restrict the growth of the lower branches. Fimming doesn't complete remove the tissue that produces auxins but it does damage them, which tell that tip to reduce auxin production so that a healthier growth site can take over as the dominant shoot.

Also, quick note because I keep forgetting to track this in my journal. The photos taken and posted yesterday 2/24/19 are the babies 2-week old shots. It seems like it's been so much longer but I attribute that to how fast these gals are growing. I can visit them a few times a day and notice new growth, lovely plants. Most spectator-friendly species I've ever grown.

Edit: Quick note for my quick note, I have no idea if they could be growing faster either or if they are doing well with respect to their age. The excitement of the unknown!

Also, quick note because I keep forgetting to track this in my journal. The photos taken and posted yesterday 2/24/19 are the babies 2-week old shots. It seems like it's been so much longer but I attribute that to how fast these gals are growing. I can visit them a few times a day and notice new growth, lovely plants. Most spectator-friendly species I've ever grown.

Edit: Quick note for my quick note, I have no idea if they could be growing faster either or if they are doing well with respect to their age. The excitement of the unknown!
These plants are so diverse in their growing characters. Not only every chemovar, but in their group could be several different types (I've had 3 out of 4) different ones in one tent. They smoke a little different too. Yes very spectator friendly.

The smell in the tent is so good. No pistils, so early yet so fragrant. Do all strains start smelling even in early veg? I'd assume the fragrance is going to be much stronger once the bulk of oil productions start in pre-flower and flower.

I've been super busy this week at the lab and it shows no sign of slowing for the next week and a half so my updates have been lacking, sorry! I'll have one soon and it'll show off how much they've grown and a new finding. Stay tuned!
Still looking great. I have a runt too. Hope water sorts her out.
I enjoyed the artistic pics with the different light.

Just that artistic side.

:high-five:
I don't even know how that dark orange-ish photo happened but it is my desktop wallpaper now. :p
Runts can go either way. The strawberry cough I have now was almost lost, another seed grown in place of, re-established herself and is currently the biggest plant in the tent taking room from the rest by force.
As long as Runty is a happy plant, I'll be fine. If she puts on massive weight later in the grow that'll have obvious perks, and if not that'll be fine too. I'm almost hoping for a very different flowering pattern so I can compare post-harvest qualities.

That's real good to know! I've been watering them occasionally with deep waterings (to pull through all that tasty air), but they haven't wilted once. I've let them go 3 days without water to see how long for them to lose turgidity (wilt) but they never did. The medium was dry though so I ended up watering.

My lemon basil will wilt if the soil isn't at the very least lightly damp. My other basil prefers it dry. The northern lights seem to be impossible to disappoint so far.

I tend to let my veg girls get really really dry before watering or feeding. Super light pots. Once I flip to flower though I don’t let them dry out completely. I always pick up the pot, but I watch the lower leaves. The day they just barely start to hang, I water. If I put it off till the next day.....she’s a droopy mess. Lol.

That's real good to know! I've been watering them occasionally with deep waterings (to pull through all that tasty air), but they haven't wilted once. I've let them go 3 days without water to see how long for them to lose turgidity (wilt) but they never did. The medium was dry though so I ended up watering.

My lemon basil will wilt if the soil isn't at the very least lightly damp. My other basil prefers it dry. The northern lights seem to be impossible to disappoint so far.
I prefer to see them wilt in early veg to "ask for water" to promote roots to seek the entire pot before uppotting, not seedlings, it's too early for them in my opinion. That's part of Emilyas watering method that I've had great luck with for years. Weed really loves and responds to the dry/wet cycle.

Back
Top Bottom