Nick Hardy's Skunk Works #3 5x5 - Dissertation Grow

😅

I think I’m translating this correctly - you reckon instead of the 4x 6” inline just use 2x 10” inline fans? (Sure they make them but think I’ve only seen 8”)

Yeah possibly it would cost less in power. But I already had one per tent so it was easier. I actually have an unused boxed extra 6” inline too. Probably buy another tent for that 😂

My luck is alright. Plants happy. Most all the crap over the weekend has been resolved bar the plumber. Might even get a visa tomorrow and not have to drive/fly out Christmas Day
Think they go up to 12" but in the load of equipment left with me I sold alot of 10" stuff but that was for whole rooms rather the a tent.

I wish I had the space I have everything to fill another tent!

My bilge pump broke down Sunday and flooded my room.. cleaned that up then flooded it again draining my RDWC so left it to gravity drain through ¼" tube 🤦‍♂️ over a 5hour period I managed to drain and fill my system.. Coco tent hasn't been fed today and won't be until I sort the drainage so hope they're ok 🤞

Oh the light manufacturer last week said they didn’t want to ship me the controller because “its not cost effective, perhaps you can get when we come back after New Year”

I mean it costs $85, $10 shipping what do I care.

I think its a going to be a gift. They want me to write a review for their own marketing materials. I spoke to them about sponsoring the site and Rob emailed them. Home/prosumer isn’t really their thing and they may even have a non compete on sponsoring.

My visa is fkd again. & Co just gone to see them in the office with medusa eyes.

I’ve just got off the phone to the Danish owner furious. “No I do not want to get a minibus taxi to fk’ing Malaysia for the day next Monday, and I shouldn’t have to - why does your staff seem to think I’m on a tourist visa?” There was more swearing than that.

But maybe free controller next month. Unless… better not mean Chinese New Year…. Saturday 10th February… harvest window opens.

Want to get the UV involved soon.

@Wastei how soon into flower you reckon for the UV? 🙏🏼

Nick

Oh the light manufacturer last week said they didn’t want to ship me the controller because “its not cost effective, perhaps you can get when we come back after New Year”

I mean it costs $85, $10 shipping what do I care.

I think its a going to be a gift. They want me to write a review for their own marketing materials. I spoke to them about sponsoring the site and Rob emailed them. Home/prosumer isn’t really their thing and they may even have a non compete on sponsoring.

My visa is fkd again. & Co just gone to see them in the office with medusa eyes.

I’ve just got off the phone to the Danish owner furious. “No I do not want to get a minibus taxi to fk’ing Malaysia for the day next Monday, and I shouldn’t have to - why does your staff seem to think I’m on a tourist visa?” There was more swearing than that.

But maybe free controller next month. Unless… better not mean Chinese New Year…. Saturday 10th February… harvest window opens.

Want to get the UV involved soon.

@Wastei how soon into flower you reckon for the UV? 🙏🏼

Nick
The fixture has 395nm UV diodes meaning they are almost putting out 100% UVA, that's optimal. I would run it from start to finish. Cannabis receives more UV light during veg naturally so it's really down to speculating and testing still what works best and how they should be implemented and used. I would run them full cycle and watch out closely for "tacoing".

If your not currently running UV I would raise the light or lower total output to let them adjust without being overly stressed.

Cheers!

The fixture has 395nm UV diodes meaning they are almost putting out 100% UVA, that's optimal. I would run it from start to finish. Cannabis receives more UV light during veg naturally so it's really down to speculating and testing still what works best and how they should be implemented and used. I would run them full cycle and watch out closely for "tacoing".

If your not currently running UV I would raise the light or lower total output to let them adjust without being overly stressed.

Cheers!
Thanks buddy!

I am currently as of two hours ago giving them 25% or so - I’ll just leave them be, 90 minutes to lights out and check in the morning.

IMG_9115.jpeg
IMG_9118.jpeg
IMG_9121.jpeg
IMG_9127.jpeg

Wake up. Raise the lights. I had no white 5000k yesterday. They still grew anyway. Bumped it to 50% or so. UV still on 25%. At lunch I’ll bump the UV a bit more. Mid afternoon the 5000k a bit more. They’re getting some trim today. I did two yesterday. Then & Co caught me and said she’s doing today. She’s off buying me a Christmas present now. This is interesting! In what, 6 Christmas's together she has bought me…. One shirt, no two shirts, actually that was my only birthday present 😂 Yeah one shirt.

This one:

IMG_9132.jpeg

Its a nice shirt. I have quite a few like this. 80 baht. $2.20 🤣

What she says she’s buying me this year I have no idea where she the money for it. I can’t afford it for sure 🤣

Anyway a light reading. Still worry not all the reds are hooked up. I was getting 900’s at the weekend, now 500’s. Waiting on feedback from the manufacturer.

Still 14-1500 PPFD at 4” is OK 😂

Not even in the middle. About 8” in from the side. EDIT - I wonder if the reading I took was direct under a bank of red LED’s. I’m running so close to the canopy that to get the meter reading it doesn’t have much time to diffuse. 🤔

Nick And #BrightTropicalLights

IMG_9134.jpeg

Video of all downstairs really. Plumbers come tomorrow to finish off something else but that's it bar the new light in the 4x4, next week to clear customs FedEx reckon. 1-2 days after that. Whatever. These had a fairly ruthless trim below. The Ayahuasca Purple is looking to snatch the lowest yield award. She looks way behind the others and then I chopped what turned out to be her only promising cola.. Oops. Oh yeah inline had popped off. Replaced the duct tape with actual stuff that sticks not the Chinese crap brand I picked up just for the colour! See the burn on that one plant from the light. Got a plan for her now we've freed up some space around her. The Buddening is in full flow.

Nick & Co

IMG_9200.jpeg
IMG_9201.jpeg

Very little time spent with these today. Busy personal life and then other grows/extractions. The environment was off a big part of the day. The inline fan in the next tent had a problem which skewed temp and Rh. Nothing awful just I did a rubbish quick repair before I had to go out and then was too busy when I got home to fix it properly the second time. They need a move around and some TLC, better trim and even some support tomorrow they when they will have my full attention.

New nute mix.

The indicated A/B is 2ml/litre to 3ml/litre. I’ve been at 2 which is much lower than I would normally be so today I did 2.2ml and also added a minimal 0.5ml Bloom Explode. Its probably 7-10 days early but they are Buddening at a rate of knots now. The Chunkening can’t be far off so I gave then some extra juice.

Came in at EC 2.4 which on 2.2- 2.6 recommended is all good for me.

Nick

Oh yeah this grow?!

IMG_9279.jpeg

We maxed the 3000k and 5000k and only 1500 PPFD

IMG_9274.jpeg

This is my normal test spot (this is left side but between penultimate and last bar is my usual spot, right reads the same)

700 off last weekend. All the loss in the reds I think.

Sparky here Saturday. I mean I really want red now. But 100% 3000k and 5000k plus 50% UV 1500 is nice.

But UV is going down.

“Taco’ing” for sure. Didn’t know what it meant until I saw the leaves just before lights out. Canoeing also works.

Had a 20 minute power cut earlier. Random. Car accident the guy said when he turned up to speak to the guy with the biggest bill in the village about how he could help me more as a consumer.

I said - stop charging me and take photos of me looking like a happy customer

He laughed and said they have some bags and stickers for children for school and he will send me some

Cheers dude!

IMG_9305.jpeg
IMG_9306.jpeg

This is my 5x5 on Day #5 of flower with 12 plants under 1000w of light with perfect environmentals and Co2 enhanced. Its my first time out in this tent. Unlikely I’ve got it dialled in more than say 40-45% of its potential so far.

IMG_9307.gif

By the time contest with @Jon starts/ yeah I’ll do better.

🤣

PS he reckons he can start way sooner - dude lies “Final Florida Grow” my lazy ass final 😂

I flipped 15 days ago.

Only counted Flower from Monday (Friday afternoon now - they were just budding Monday) we discussed it Batmuth!
Well, that would have been at least 5 days ago, right? You can't possibly expect me to remember anything from that long ago. :rolleyes:

:laughtwo:

IMG_9305.jpeg
IMG_9306.jpeg

This is my 5x5 on Day #5 of flower with 12 plants under 1000w of light with perfect environmentals and Co2 enhanced. Its my first time out in this tent. Unlikely I’ve got it dialled in more than say 40-45% of its potential so far.

IMG_9307.gif

By the time contest with @Jon starts/ yeah I’ll do better.

🤣

PS he reckons he can start way sooner - dude lies “Final Florida Grow” my lazy ass final 😂
Wow. Damn. As fun as it is to give you crap, this is gorgeous and I have no illusions in reality that I can beat you in this contest. I just wanna keep it competitive.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You didn’t think I meant it did you? I’m gonna kick your displaced expatriot ass. Lmao!!!

Wow. Damn. As fun as it is to give you crap, this is gorgeous and I have no illusions in reality that I can beat you in this contest. I just wanna keep it competitive.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You didn’t think I meant it did you? I’m gonna kick your displaced expatriot ass. Lmao!!!
I feel like I was being too blase. I saw the air stones you bought and it got be scared. What tricks does he have planned?

So then I was like right, not handicapping myself. 12 top end Bruce Banner lets go.

But that’s fully a mark of respect.

There’s not many on the site I’d worry about on this kinda contest. And with Autos lol 😂 @Bill284 ?

Ooph me and him went head to head on yield. That be crazy stupid 😂 Bill - you can’t include dog hair in the yield. Howie has more then Nicksie 🤣

Be fun. Paid the seeds but asked they don’t post until 27th. I’ll pop around the 5th.

I feel like I was being too blase. I saw the air stones you bought and it got be scared. What tricks does he have planned?

So then I was like right, not handicapping myself. 12 top end Bruce Banner lets go.

But that’s fully a mark of respect.

There’s not many on the site I’d worry about on this kinda contest. And with Autos lol 😂 @Bill284 ?

Ooph me and him went head to head on yield. That be crazy stupid 😂 Bill - you can’t include dog hair in the yield. Howie has more then Nicksie 🤣

Be fun. Paid the seeds but asked they don’t post until 27th. I’ll pop around the 5th.
I wouldn't touch an auto with a 10 foot pole. :rofl:
But Jon knows his stuff.;)
Your BB better be on point.
Hehe

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Yeah we roll on.

Finished the nute tank today.

I run lucky.

Lazy Man Sundsy Flush Iiii-bound.

Christmas Eve mix up a quick cheap batch and happy all round.

I wrote a bunch about my new Mars light in the 4x4 grow.

I mean every word. Heartfelt.

I’m a maven / not like that 😂

The best light for a 4x4 for 90% of growers me included.

But the best light for a 5x5 for me, is this one. At this power I’m not in the 90% - I’m pretty much in the 10%. I mean 1315w on a 4x4 in the tropics?

Meh.

My only criticisms so far of it are because we remove the driver - they say only their smaller customers do this the bigger the operation, the better the HVAC essentially so the less the impact of the driver heat relatively. Plus they put two drivers in a really big passive heat diffusing box.
IMG_9402.jpeg

The Colour Purple is trending

Plus they give you 4 ratchet blocks one per corner.

But if they gave a steel plate to perform the structural/engineering bit the driver does so it doesn’t bow it’d be better.

But yeah for for a 5x5 this is 9.33/10. When I get the controller it’ll tick higher. But its not for everyone. Def not with out the controller. Its raw commercial. But anyone learning the craft here could do it. Just appreciate there ain’t an instruction manual.

No hang heights or PPFD charts.

The Mars FC4800 Evo for a 4x4 is a 5/5 rating.

I’m deliberately switching between /5 /10 ratings. They are different beasts.

I’d swap my 3x Mars FC6500 730w for three of these I could - they just fit my niche a little better - Mars don’t have something at that scale that scratches my itch.

I hope all that was fair to both the sponsor and the other guys - who I have legit tried to get become sponsors here. Just different priorities.

IMG_9372.jpeg

IMG_9374.jpeg

IMG_9371.jpeg

IMG_9373.jpeg

Yeah we roll on.

Finished the nute tank today.

I run lucky.

Lazy Man Sundsy Flush Iiii-bound.

Christmas Eve mix up a quick cheap batch and happy all round.

I wrote a bunch about my new Mars light in the 4x4 grow.

I mean every word. Heartfelt.

I’m a maven / not like that 😂

The best light for a 4x4 for 90% of growers me included.

But the best light for a 5x5 for me, is this one. At this power I’m not in the 90% - I’m pretty much in the 10%. I mean 1315w on a 4x4 in the tropics?

Meh.

My only criticisms so far of it are because we remove the driver - they say only their smaller customers do this the bigger the operation, the better the HVAC essentially so the less the impact of the driver heat relatively. Plus they put two drivers in a really big passive heat diffusing box.
IMG_9402.jpeg

The Colour Purple is trending

Plus they give you 4 ratchet blocks one per corner.

But if they gave a steel plate to perform the structural/engineering bit the driver does so it doesn’t bow it’d be better.

But yeah for for a 5x5 this is 9.33/10. When I get the controller it’ll tick higher. But its not for everyone. Def not with out the controller. Its raw commercial. But anyone learning the craft here could do it. Just appreciate there ain’t an instruction manual.

No hang heights or PPFD charts.

The Mars FC4800 Evo for a 4x4 is a 5/5 rating.

I’m deliberately switching between /5 /10 ratings. They are different beasts.

I’d swap my 3x Mars FC6500 730w for three of these I could - they just fit my niche a little better - Mars don’t have something at that scale that scratches my itch.

I hope all that was fair to both the sponsor and the other guys - who I have legit tried to get become sponsors here. Just different priorities.

IMG_9372.jpeg

IMG_9374.jpeg

IMG_9371.jpeg

IMG_9373.jpeg
Day #7 Flower.

IMG_9429.jpeg

Since yesterday they grew through the lights again.

Raised the light but I’ve run out of cable on the rachets.

I have 1.5” say - free below if ai remove the bricks and maybe 5” when I cable tie the light to the tent roof.

Hey tomorrow we’re into Week #2 of Flower!

Not much more to go in terms of bud production based on what you see below, right? They ain’t gonna bulk up much more in the next 50 days, yeah?

🤣🤣🤣

IMG_9431.jpeg

IMG_9432.jpeg

Love the serrations

Happy Christmas all. Play fair, don’t cheat and keep the gangsters sweet.

5x5 tents - love ‘em

Nick & Co

Back
Top Bottom