New City Grower 2.0

Thanks for the link Broke Ass but I think I am going to have to talk to PeeJay cause I can't figure out how to make that work with what I have and I want to use up the crap I have bought and hopefully through the experiment I will find what I am looking for. I have a full bale of ProMix HP, 15 lbs of Red Bud Farms compost and 15 lbs of Red Bud worm castings and 30 lbs of Red Bud Farms top soil..... Sooooo with all that stuff there should be something I can get out of it other than a headache.... Any who Peejay if ya don't mind lending me a part of your brain power I sure could use the help or anyone else that may know what I am talking about.... King :adore: if you could chime in on my journal I would appreciate it too but if you don't want to get locked back in with all my questions I understand that too...:)...... Rant over.....:straightface:....:circle-of-love:

Congrats! on you newly found cloning ability :welldone: And a Fine FriedDay to all

Don't worry Fifi. We need a star player such as yourself on the team. I'll alert Coach PJ that I found our ringer.

He knows his stuff. Last night I transplanted the 2nd & 3rd wave of Street Girls into our Organic Soil Mix or should I say replaced their old soil with it; Then put them back in the same solo cups.
I didn't photograph them this morning but shoot, You should have seen how they were all standing at attention when I opened up the tent. I'm more than convinced!

What I did photograph was the humidifier/clone experiment this morning. I've already consulted with the DCS Board of Directors and they've assured me this won't effect my retirement status.

Day 4

IMG_20140822_2_.jpg

IMG_20140822_3_.jpg

Not a root bump in sight.

IMG_20140822_4_.jpg

Not really surprised though. Organics told me from the start but I figured why not wait it out.

If you are using a warm air humidifier there though the contraption may be doomed from the start. It would be cool to see what temperature it is under your dome.

Morning Cajun

As for that one .....consider it culling the weak....LOL. :peace:

Make sure you drop a LINK here.

throw an extra invite in my yard please, thank you Smoker :passitleft:

BAR I enjoyed seeing you heckle our great friend Rico, in my yard today, great back & forth banter. Rico was up against five of you and he did a fine job defending his position about the Nug of the Month controversy, started with SoulGals picture, I like her yard and her :rofl: skills.

Thanks for the link Broke Ass if you could chime in on my journal I would appreciate it too but if you don't want to get locked back in with all my questions I understand that too...:)...... Rant over.....:straightface:....:circle-of-love:

i love rants, which yard is your soil discussion in? the LED? or the old original noob thread?, I'm working on a new batch myself, and I'd like see what you come up with.

thanks Dennise :passitleft:

QUICK UPDATE​
Aug 22, 2014​

Guess what I came home to?
The first ever outdoor pre-flowers I've witnessed with my own two eyes!
My lonely own Fire Escape Girl

:slide::party::party::party::slide:

Pepé Le Pew (Skunk) Day 110 / Flower Day 1

IMG_20140822_5_.jpg

IMG_20140822_6_.jpg

IMG_20140822_4_1.jpg

IMG_20140822_2_1.jpg

IMG_20140822_3_1.jpg

which yard is your soil discussion in? the LED? or the old original noob thread?, I'm working on a new batch myself, and I'd like see what you come up with.

thanks Dennise :passitleft:
Coach PJ will assist her once he has the time. I'm sure we can always add another Superstar to our roster Trix. You'll have to let Coach know what you have on-hand as far as supplements.

We can call our team PJ's Soil Stars...

Thanks reg, I am honored to be on the PJSS-list. here is a pasted soil-share from a good friend that will not mind my pasting it here, basically it explains that there are at least 2 types of soil that can be created.

I hope we can get a lot of members "jumping in" on this awesome reply to my question about custom blended soil preparation.

MY QUESTION seeking friends advice: "im making a batch of soil for an INDOOR grow and i'm hoping you have any thoughts or maybe something to add. this is my 1st yr making custom "batches" so far so good, I have used it in the most recent transplants with WW & NoLie,

here's what I have mixed up so far

1 cubic ft/ 5 gallons OMRI org(OUTDOOR) soil

1.5 gals. fresh worm castings from my 2 yr old worm factory n Rubbermaid tub

0.5 gal Perlite

1 cup yum yum (discussed w PJ in my yard, in last week or 2, he recommendeds it)

2 Tblsp, dolomite lime (ph controller)

1/2 cup 4 - 4 - 4 G & B organic fertilizer

thats it so far, i need to do sum research on pre-made & aged/acclimated soil, maybe you can share some tricks, just a thought no biggie if you can't add or suggest. im not even sure i can use the outdoor soil inside, i will ask Lester, by pasting this msg.

thnks buddy"

MY FRIENDS REPLY:
First off, I should say all my previous experience was with MiracleGro and my home compost. Everything I'm learning beyond that is just in the last 6 months

It's a complex question that I'm just beginning to get a grip on. I don't know enough to comment on the amounts/ratio of your ingredients, except that I suspect more Perlite (maybe 2 gal) would be even better, helping the roots get air, and would just mean more frequent watering. If it was me I'd be thinking of adding minerals and microbes.

My impression is that there are two basic approaches - supersoil and mineralized soil, and I've mainly focused on the mineralized.

Supersoil is soil loaded with nutrients. Your recipe is a supersoil - castings, yum yum, and G&B. I guess the risk is in making it too hot and burning the roots or plant, or imbalanced, leading to lockouts.

Mineralized soil is soil loaded with raw minerals and inoculated with microbes which convert the minerals into nutrient form.

A mineralized recipe has ingredients like peat moss, glacial rock dust, azomite, rock phosphate, gypsum, greensand, calcium clay, sulfate of potash, etc. plus humic acid and fulvic acid. There is a product called Ancient Forest which I think is a blend of a number of minerals. The soil microbes - bacteria and fungi - and mycorrhizal fungi, are in products like Mykos, Great White Shark, Rhizostym. Often these mixes need to cook, or age/acclimate for a month or so to get the microbes established and give them a head start. Then, during the grow you just add water. The microbes provide the roots with all needed nutrients in the friendliest, most natural available form, the mycorrhizae merge with and extend the roots, and the plant sends sugars down through the roots to feed the microbes. A good mineralized soil is pH stable - you never need to think pH unless your water is really bad.

People use all sorts of combinations of the two approaches, and often in a very haphazard way, like, "Hey, I heard azomite is good so I threw a bunch in.." People try this and that, gradually develop some intuition about it, and come up with something that works for them. Gardenfaerie, for instance, seems to have this intuition. Most people get good or bad results without understanding why, and come to conclusions that may not be valid.

The other approach to mineralizing is to have the basic soil or medium tested and get a detailed recommendation for which additives in what amounts you need to make it perfect. Doc Bud's kit is what his lab recommended specifically to amend HPProMix Soil - if you were starting with MG or Happy Frog the amendments would be different amounts and/or different ingredients. (Doc says just adding garden compost will totally mess up his formula and give lower Brix numbers.) You mix his amendments and inoculants into the HPPro and let it cook for a month. If available, you can 'tune' the mix with crumbled dried leaves and trimmings of mj. Makes sense - everything in it is obviously stuff mj needs. His kit also includes stuff you add to every other watering, teas you mix up, and foliar sprays twice a week, so it is a very specific program.

Ideal420 Soil (which I have been using) is supposedly based on this sort of lab analysis, specifically balanced for cannabis. I see that they have added more ingredients, including nutrients, lately. I don't know what this means in terms of Brix exactly, but I'm sure it's all balanced through their testing. I do know they let their batches cook before shipping. They sell a 9 Plant Kit - 4.5 cu. ft. soil plus Rhizostym - for $200 delivered to your door. (You should hit them up for a free sample!). $200 sounds like a lot, but look what I would have to buy to make my own.

This is what it currently has in it: Canadian Peat Moss, Vermiculite, Perlite, Bio Char, Worm Castings, Fish Meal, Calcium Clay, High Calcium Lime, Rock Phosphate, Sulfate of Potash, Humic Acid, Fulvic Acid, K-Mag, Glacial Rock Dust, Azomite, and their proprietary blend of mycorrhizal fungi and beneficial soil bacteria.

I've been very impressed with !deal420 - everything I put in it responds immediately with lush deep green vigorous growth and great roots, and I've been real shy about adding any nutrients. My winter plants took way too long, and in smallish pots, so I think they 'ran out of gas' somewhat towards the end.

If you ask me, "What if I get Ideal420 and add some YumYum?" I don't know. It might be good, it might be too much and burn, and it might just be more of what there is already plenty of, and therefore a waste

In any case, the more nutrients coming from the soil, presumably the less feeding you will do.

So - to summarize - I'm getting a sense of the whole picture, and by next year I bet I could mix up a better-than-average soil, buying lots of different raw ingredients. But it would take college-level study to truly know what I was doing, and lab work.

Or I can buy Ideal420 for $200 and grow nine 5gal or four 10gal - whatever - a half ounce of my final yield covers the cost and I spend little or nothing for nutes. I think it would be dumb luck if I mixed up something better. And it establishes a baseline for comparison. Eventually I'm sure I'll do some experimenting.

I also want lab analysis of the soil from my yard for large-scale amendment for flowers and vegetables.

And surely this is enough of an answer for now.

thoughts? :thanks: all , . :circle-of-love:

:goof: Are the ingredients in the MYKOs similar to Growology #1? if it is, I may add a pinch in my daily misting water,

lastly, is the MYKOs, of powder-consistency (like #1) :thanks:

Hello trichomes. I'm not familiar with Growology, but Mykos is mycorrhizae in granule form. There is also Mykos WP, the wettable powder form. The WP version is more expensive. It needs to get down into the root zone so foliar application isn't listed on bag as way to apply. Ok to inoculate more than once if you wish. I always do.

Great news about your fire escape girl :woohoo:

Hello trichomes. I'm not familiar with Growology, but Mykos is mycorrhizae in granule form. There is also Mykos WP, the wettable powder form. The WP version is more expensive. It needs to get down into the root zone so foliar application isn't listed on bag as way to apply. Ok to inoculate more than once if you wish. I always do.

thank you CA neighbor :high-five: &,,,,,your yard is awesome :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom