New City Grower 2.0

You're long on perlite and short on peat, Reg. You can probably swap out one bag of the perlite for three more bags of peat in the next week or so if it wouldn't be a big pain in the ass. That growers mix in the 20# bags is also in the soil bar. At least, one of the buckets says growers mix on it... It says that the soil is $0.25 per cup. If you swap one bag of perlite for three more peat you would want the equivalent of 2 peat sized bags of the growers mix - around 30 cups or $7.50 worth.

Do you have the tubs to mix and store the soil in?

There is no need to wait before exchanging for the perlite for peat and picking up a little of the growers mix. Is that the growers mix in the wheelbarrow? If you have the bins you can mix and get cooking and add more peat when you get more.

That's great, Reg! How convenient was it for you to get there?
The train stop's just 2 blocks from the Market & it's on my train line; too convenient! I might just take my big knapsack & go back tomorrow to pick up that big bag of growers mix If you think it's a good deal. Thanxx for finding that spot for us members here who live in the city PJ.

Sorry for the multiple posts. If that is indeed the growers mix in the wheelbarrow, I like the look of it. There are no big chunks of wood, ect. in it. Looks like a solid mix.

You're long on perlite, and short on peat, Reg. You can probably swap out one bag of the perlite for three more bags of peat in the next week or so if it wouldn't be a big pain in the ass. That growers mix in the 20# bags is also in the soil bar. At least, one of the buckets says growers mix on it... It says that the soil is $0.25 per cup. If you swap one bag of perlite for three more peat you would want the equivalent of 2 peat sized bags of the growers mix - around 30 cups or $7.50 worth.

Do you have the tubs to mix and store the soil in?
Why swap? The peat moss is only 2 bucks a bag. I'll just get more or get the big bag of it when I'm prepared to carry more stuff. I did the math on a few of the things at the soil bar & it's all cheaper by the bag. The cheaper stuff they only sell by the bag.
I got the big bucket you saw from the 99 cent store. Not a problem to get more. Talk to me PJ.

be careful if you buy that soil that looks like it is kept outdoors in those big bins, outdoor soil should not be used indoors because it has many different critters living in it. I have heard of members microwaving soil to make it safe for indoors. I'm not so sure about that, I witnessed an inchworm/caterpillar survive 3o seconds of microwaves on 20% power, he was put back in at a higher level, he popped :rip:

nice soil shares PeeJay :thumb:

Thanxx for everything PJ.

Everything is under control, Trix. No need to worry.

thanx PeeJay, under control goes hand in hand w/ the GG present,

it is like suicide to challenge the Green Giant :green_heart: GG.

I should have included "the soil seen in those large bins", I was not referring to bags of soil, I edited/clarified my post.

No worries, Trix. I wouldn't be too worried about the soil in the buckets that can be bought by the cup there. I expect they sell quite a bit of it. In Reg's Manhattan environment lots of people like to do small scale gardening. Many of them live in small spaces and don't have lots of storage space at home. It is hard for them to store big bags of dirt like you can. Small packages and solving those problems is one of the things that the urban garden center specializes in. They are tuned into the special needs of the high density urban population. Try to find small bricks of peat like Reg got where you live. Good luck!

Reg and I are forum contemporaries. We have similar join dates and have followed each other's adventures closely for a long time, and enjoyed doing so. Reg likes my results after watching my grows carefully. We are going to build a complete soil and do things the way I do without bottled nutes, obsessing over pH, etc. I'm confident that it is going to work out very well for him, as it has for me. He seems confident as well. I'll be embarrassed if it all goes to hell, but I'm not very afraid it will.

No doubt many others will throw in their two-cents about what we're going to do and offer their own opinions. BAR is going to put his faith in me and focus on my guidance. That makes me a little nervous. If it doesn't work it will be egg on my face.

You might be interested to know, Trix, that I helped hook up Reg with some Yum Yum. It is going to be the foundation of the feeding.

:thumb: :yummy:
P8068943111.jpg

I love soil! I have never grown in soil but I do love all the mixtures and different ingredients that goes into it.

Reg, look here for more info on the compost. I looked, didn't find ingredients lists but they are using it on the High Line and other green growing areas of NYC. I would love to know what is in it. If it has sludge, you really must avoid it at any cost. I would rather mail a box of my compost to you then you should use sludge. That is made of human waste products. Euuu uh.

Long Island Compost

I won't even advise you to make your own, I know you don't have a garden, but maybe one of these green rooftops co-ops :lot-o-toke:

Gardenfaerie sorry to bug you once again but volcanic rock dust have you ever heard of it? Would be a beneficial source of minerals? And organic? Sorry I just recently came across it and thought it looks good but any product that says to always wear gloves worries me and with all your gardening wisdom I thought you may have some good info :passitleft:

Gardenfaerie sorry to bug you once again but volcanic rock dust have you ever heard of it? Would be a beneficial source of minerals? And organic? Sorry I just recently came across it and thought it looks good but any product that says to always wear gloves worries me and with all your gardening wisdom I thought you may have some good info :passitleft:

Volcanic rock dust or lavasand is one of the best materials to use in soil, in containers or in the ground. It has a paramagnetic property to it, and there is a lot of info out there about it which can be found here:

Lava SandDirt Doctor Howard Garrett Organic Gardening, Home, Health, Pet Care, Pest Control, Compost, Nutrition, Environment

I can't readily get it here so I use decomposed granite sand. It is not as good as lavasand, but it suffices. Yes, definitely use it in your mix.

Back
Top Bottom