New aussie Auto grower, looking for some advice

Haha I know stark, I know. I just want my girls to have the best crack at their short lives! That's a crazy water bill man, rain barrels are a good idea 💡 especially with the weather we've got atm 🙄
Also doesn't help when I pay it late haha 😅

Alright sweet, that's really straightforward man, thanks for setting me straight on that.
Only other question I have now is the plant guard (potassium silicate) says to go in before anything else no exceptions. So should I follow that and then go Calmag or vice versa?
I actually believe the coco girls will be bigger and better also, it's just that I've always grown in soil, so it's like a safety net. But yeah if I get the hang of the coco, definitely strict coco in the future!
Fell in love with the @Bill284 method at first sight!!
Potassium Silicate doesn’t mix well with nutrients.
It can cause issues.
I mix my potassium silicate to 300 ppm in water then after I feed I give the girls a drink of potassium silicate.
That way it doesn’t react negatively with my mixture.
Once a week I give everyone 300 ppm.
Easy peasy. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Haha I know stark, I know. I just want my girls to have the best crack at their short lives! That's a crazy water bill man, rain barrels are a good idea 💡 especially with the weather we've got atm 🙄
I understand that I'm feeling like I'm going to miss my plants when I harvest. I enjoy the view alot. I want them to be at there best it's hard work!

Potassium Silicate doesn’t mix well with nutrients.
It can cause issues.
I mix my potassium silicate to 300 ppm in water then after I feed I give the girls a drink of potassium silicate.
That way it doesn’t react negatively with my mixture.
Once a week I give everyone 300 ppm.
Easy peasy. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Hmmm, okay, it does say in the feeding chart that they can be all mixed together as long as plant guard goes first. But it also says to use with every feed, maybe it has more than just potassium silicate in it 🤔

Hmmm, okay, it does say in the feeding chart that they can be all mixed together as long as plant guard goes first. But it also says to use with every feed, maybe it has more than just potassium silicate in it 🤔
Good morning TT. :ciao:
Do you have a pic of the bottle?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Oh man that is expensive 😳 my water bill last month was 600$ haha 😄 I need some rain berrals...
I won’t even notice the water my tiny system uses. Between 5 fish tanks, 1 being 1000ltr, my wife’s need to have a spa every couple of days and a teenager daughter with her hour long showers.
I don’t even look at my bills, I just pay into it every week. If something goes wrong my wife will get an email.

Good morning TT. :ciao:
Do you have a pic of the bottle?

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Good evening amigo :ciao:
I'm down at mums at the moment, my little sister cooked her famous buttered chicken for us for tea! YUM!!
I'll put up some pics when I get home, do you want to see both the plant guard and the cal mag I have?

Good evening amigo :ciao:
I'm down at mums at the moment, my little sister cooked her famous buttered chicken for us for tea! YUM!!
I'll put up some pics when I get home, do you want to see both the plant guard and the cal mag I have?
Enjoy your dinner, no rush. :thumb:
Yes both ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Enjoy your dinner, no rush. :thumb:
Yes both ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Thanks Bill, dinner was great!
Here's the front and reverse of Calmag.
20240830_223323.jpg
20240830_223330.jpg

Front and reverse of plant guard (potassium silicate)
20240830_223256.jpg
20240830_223309.jpg

This is the feeding chart and the information about plant guard.
20240830_223428.jpg

20240830_223509.jpg

Also based off this feeding chart, do you reckon I should go 1/2 or less of recommended nutes? Bear in mind I'm doing autos, the hydro guy that sold me these said half at first for a soil grow, then when I told him I was doing auto, he said maybe consider a 1/3. But that was for soil, would that be right and maybe different for coco? I know autos dont like as much 🤔
He also recommended flushing the soil every couple weeks.
Thanks amigo

Thanks Bill, dinner was great!
Here's the front and reverse of Calmag.
20240830_223323.jpg
20240830_223330.jpg

Front and reverse of plant guard (potassium silicate)
20240830_223256.jpg
20240830_223309.jpg

This is the feeding chart and the information about plant guard.
20240830_223428.jpg

20240830_223509.jpg

Also based off this feeding chart, do you reckon I should go 1/2 or less of recommended nutes? Bear in mind I'm doing autos, the hydro guy that sold me these said half at first for a soil grow, then when I told him I was doing auto, he said maybe consider a 1/3. But that was for soil, would that be right and maybe different for coco? I know autos dont like as much 🤔
He also recommended flushing the soil every couple weeks.
Thanks amigo
His recommendations are pretty much generic directions for people just trying to get a harvest :Namaste:
After the first couple weeks of growth I never cut my nutrients.
Even autos I feed full strength.
But I’m no expert with autos.
Start with 1/3 strength until they build some roots then raise it and just watch how they react. If it becomes too much we can dial it back.
Calmag I’d use every feed , in plain water first.
Potassium silicate says it has trouble mixing with nutrients if not defused properly.
From experience it takes an hour for this.
I don’t like risking a clumpy batch of nutrients so I keep them separate.
I find once a week in plain water after feeding more than enough to strengthen my ladies without an adverse reaction.
Your basically avoiding the chance of a bad batch of nutrients.
Hope I didn’t forget anything.
Let me know. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

His recommendations are pretty much generic directions for people just trying to get a harvest :Namaste:
After the first couple weeks of growth I never cut my nutrients.
Even autos I feed full strength.
But I’m no expert with autos.
Start with 1/3 strength until they build some roots then raise it and just watch how they react. If it becomes too much we can dial it back.
Calmag I’d use every feed , in plain water first.
Potassium silicate says it has trouble mixing with nutrients if not defused properly.
From experience it takes an hour for this.
I don’t like risking a clumpy batch of nutrients so I keep them separate.
I find once a week in plain water after feeding more than enough to strengthen my ladies without an adverse reaction.
Your basically avoiding the chance of a bad batch of nutrients.
Hope I didn’t forget anything.
Let me know. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Okay cool, fuck the generic recommendations then 🤣
We will build up to full strength 💪
so calmag first every time, easy done.
I'm happy to wait an hour if it avoids having to water twice, but if it's best to do it separate I'll just have have to find a way.
Last thing we want is bad nutrients.
So basically I should follow the feed chart and leave out the plant guard?
If I'm only gonna be feeding once a week with the plant guard, should I give them the whole weeks recommended dose in one go or should I just feed plant guard every day with the 0.5ml a few hours after feeding, I mean with the soil girls they won't get a feed everyday anyway will they, just the feed,dry,water,feed,dry etc

I'm happy to wait an hour if it avoids having to water twice, but if it's best to do it separate I'll just have have to find a way.
If I'm only gonna be feeding once a week with the plant guard, should I give them the whole weeks recommended dose in one go or should I just feed plant guard every day with the 0.5ml a few hours after feeding, I mean with the soil girls they won't get a feed everyday anyway will they, just the feed,dry,water,feed,dry etc
I start with 1/3 when I am unsure on how much to use. I would rather under feed then over feed its easier to treat a deficiency rather than a toxicity. If you get a toxicity you need to flush and check your run off and the ph of your dirt water and nutrients it seems like a pain so I start with less and finish with more. Just give your plants time to adjust before doing anything I'd say 1 to 2 feedings a week is good if you use 1/3 the recommendation and you will reduce the chance of nutrient lock out/burn.

I found the dose of .5ml/ l slightly low.
I aim for 300 ppm of potassium silicate.
.5 ml/l doesn't give me enough ppm's.
Easy to do, just mix a litre per plant once a week.
After feeding give everyone a drink.
No muss no fuss and no issues.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

I start with 1/3 when I am unsure on how much to use. I would rather under feed then over feed its easier to treat a deficiency rather than a toxicity. If you get a toxicity you need to flush and check your run off and the ph of your dirt water and nutrients it seems like a pain so I start with less and finish with more. Just give your plants time to adjust before doing anything I'd say 1 to 2 feedings a week is good if you use 1/3 the recommendation and you will reduce the chance of nutrient lock out/burn.
Thanks stark, I was thinking along the same line as well for the soil girls. The coco girl will have to be fed everyday though

I found the dose of .5ml/ l slightly low.
I aim for 300 ppm of potassium silicate.
.5 ml/l doesn't give me enough ppm's.
Easy to do, just mix a litre per plant once a week.
After feeding give everyone a drink.
No muss no fuss and no issues.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Hmm okay,
So even 0.5ml per day is too low. Maybe 2ml once a week or something

Hmm okay,
So even 0.5ml per day is too low. Maybe 2ml once a week or something
If you follow the instructions.5ml/l once a week is perfect.
I use my ppm meter and add a little extra to get 300 ppm.
If you don't have a meter using the dose they recommend.
Brands are different so follow the instructions if your not measuring ppm.
Again once a week is good.
Good morning :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

If you follow the instructions.5ml/l once a week is perfect.
I use my ppm meter and add a little extra to get 300 ppm.
If you don't have a meter using the dose they recommend.
Brands are different so follow the instructions if your not measuring ppm.
Again once a week is good.
Good morning :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Well they recommend .5ml at every feeding, I do have a ppm meter, so I could just aim for 300 every week with the soil girls, .5ml every day for the coco and see how that goes

Well they recommend .5ml at every feeding, I do have a ppm meter, so I could just aim for 300 every week with the soil girls, .5ml every day for the coco and see how that goes
Same amount to each media - soil & coco.
Once a week to 5 days if you want to give more. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Same amount to each media - soil & coco.
Once a week to 5 days if you want to give more. ;)

Stay safe
Bill284 😎
Hmm okay, I wonder why the feed chart recommendeds .5ml per day then.
I also got the root builder supplement coming, because it was the only one I didn't have, big roots, big plants 😁

Hmm okay, I wonder why the feed chart recommendeds .5ml per day then.
I also got the root builder supplement coming, because it was the only one I didn't have, big roots, big plants 😁
My guess is that they want people to run out of it faster and buy more. :Namaste:
Giving it daily is overkill.
Too much potassium. Imo.
Probably just clog up the root zone.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom