Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

Sorry, the dimmer control is still not allowed to added on our lights, as the technology is not full developed. :Namaste:
Sorry, one more thing

… Is it possible to use a dimmer control to adjust the output for a Mars II panel? Then I could just get say a 900w or 1200w panel and dim to say 25% at the start.

Thanks Galeno:circle-of-love:
I just got here so I don't know what I'm talking about but I would also recommend a 900w or even 1200w Mars II. :geek:

Can anybody tell me how much heat a Mars II puts out? I'm hoping to raise the the temp by 5-10 f in a small tent.
It will depend on the seasons. In thoery, the light can add 5~10 degrees, but if the tempreature is too low out side, you will still need extra method to keep the trempreature high. :Namaste::circle-of-love:
Hello JohnnieJC3, I hope everything is doing great with you. :circle-of-love:
I run a tent with the exact dimensions with the mars 400, and I average 73-75 degrees, with lights on, with 68 being the low. And that's overkill with a 4" Vortex on full blast, so yes, 5 degrees above ambient/room temperature you will see no doubt. 68/low 75-77 high. My journal is below if you want to take a look. I did a fast forward type journal since I wasn't sure I was going to do one. :volcano-smiley:
I am sure you will find useful information there:high-five:
Thank you, I'll look through your journal. :thumb:
:circle-of-love:
I run a Mars II 400 in a 2'x2' tent and it keeps it about 10 degrees warmer than the outside room air... it does run a bit warmer than the reflectors but I have been able to control it with a desk fan for circulation and a small intake..... If you need the additional heat you might get away with just a circulaiton fan.....:circle-of-love:
:high-five:
I do need the extra heat. It's sounding like it'll balance out perfectly for both "day" and "night" temps.

I am looking at setting up 2 tents of similar size. I have 2 Mars 400s that I was planning on using in the "Veg" tent and I am looking at a mars 900 for the flower tent. If you only have 1 tent and can swing the extra money, I don't think you could go wrong with the 900. The 700 will probably cover your space, but I think the 900 should give better coverage when the light is lower (12-15")

we just need a cheer up picture.. Just think of when you do get your lights, that you will be climbing them like Jack here heheh...
These are some 700's in action with me on top :p
20150225_210632.jpg

now I remember what it was like when I used to go on vacation, I would come back and it would be as if the world was going to end.. almost makes taking a vacation not very restful when you come back to a tidal wave... But soon you will be growing nice meds...

20150217_223827.jpg

20150212_223234.jpg

I 100% agree but when you promise that your emails will be answered and that things will be run on a skeleton crew but that someone would be handling the emails and correspondence.... This light is certainly not my only light but was one I needed for a particular project... I do understand things happen and warehouse workers pull the wrong items etc.... but after a dozen transactions with Sara I now feel as though I am being called a liar and that my integrity is being called into question and I fell it is very disrespectful..... I know this will all get straightened out because I know I did not receive what was supposed to be sent... it is the way it is being handled that has me upset and very confused.....:circle-of-love:

They've been responding this whole time Dennise, the point is that they're ignoring customers and responding to potential customers. Smiley faces and cultural understanding is all well and good but this is a business transaction and so far they haven't fulfilled their side of it.

Another thing is that they explicitly told me I wouldn't have to pay duty because it would be shipped from within Canada. If they're shipping to me from China then not only do I have to wait weeks instead of days, I'm going to have a substantial charge when it gets here, and I'll expect them to pay for it.

I completely feel ya my friend.....:circle-of-love:

Happy growing Antics :cheer::thumb:
I can't say exactly, using your specs...

My grow is approx 2'x3'x7', and I'm using the Old Model 100x3, and with the doors closed, and no exhaust I'm at 81 degrees F. Doors open or exhaust on, and I'm at about 75 degrees F.

Thanks NematodeNate. :circle-of-love:
These were all started from seed with a marsII 900.......bout 30inches away temps at 75.....three of these are autos as well....don't mind some of the leave curl as this is my first grow I gave them to strong of nutes the first feeding....they are coming around now....
image19080.jpg
EDIT: room is 43"x30"x9ft tall

Can you tell me what is your grow space?
i'm considering the Mars II 700w vs the 192x3 reflector series. i'm leaning toward the 192x3 reflector since it has more coverage. I'll be using them for flower. any opinions?

thanks
Yes, mars II series have better penetration. :circle-of-love:
Mars II is 5 watt chips... 192x3 reflector series is 3 watt chips. According to Sara, better penetration with Mars II.
The coverage on our website is at the hight of 18 inches. But if you use for flower, the coverage will be smaller. Therefore, I suggest you go with the 900w light or the 192x3w one. :high-five:
thanks.. i guess i need to weigh that vs the coverage 3.5 x 3.5 vs 4.4 x 4.4
so does the watt rating for the mars 2 just relate to the number of led's and coverage area? the Led's being the same?

Thanks Wahtoogee. :circle-of-love:
Mars 700 is 140 x 5 watt led chips. (Your wattage draw however is about 1/2, thus around 350 watt draw). The Reflector series is 192 x 3 watt led chips. So not just that they're "weaker" 3 watt chips, total wattage is only 576 (192*3) vs 140*5= 700 in the Mars700.

I believe Sara's point is that the 5 watt chips have a greater PAR, and penetration, so even "if" wattage was the same, the 5 watt chips still penetrates better... (If I understand correctly?!��... ).

I'm sure they're are many on here who can explain this better.

Hope the problem has been solved. :Namaste:
hey everybody i hope everyones doing good today! i want to thank hydro mars i cant wait to get my new grow tent 2'x2'x5' and 100x3w led grow light to grow good meds with and veg. :) but i have a question for you growers out there i dont want to run a carbon filter but i found this product on Monster gardens The Neutralizer Professional Odor Eliminator Kit. its post to take all smell when your flowering drying or smoking and make it smell good in the room. the small version goes for $80 and large one goes for $180 any feed back would be great :D The Neutralizer Professional Odor Eliminator Kit
:volcano-smiley:
I heard the secret ingredient is snake oil. :blalol:
Yes, good things need fair price. :circle-of-love:
A good carbon filter is well worth the money ..
:thumb:
I also advise that you invest in a carbon filter for odor control, you may be very surprised one day when you return to your home and notice the scent of cannabis as soon as the door opens.

Remove Odor, Dust and other Particles from your Grow Room
I'll third the advice of getting a carbon filter. :high-five:

You're trying to mask a smell. The smell is still there. You need to REMOVE the smell. :)

You can take extra measures for any odor that gets passed the first line of defense. I have 2 CF's in my basement, but sometimes the odor can still get into the house (especially when there are buds hanging to dry). :winkyface: We have a couple of those little scented wax 'burners' (more like 'melters') in the house. That is our 'mask' when needed, but we tend to use air fresheners or incense anyway to make the house smell nice. :)

IMHO, get that thing AFTER you are already scrubbing the air with a filter. :Namaste:

Hello knox, thanks for your kind words and also appreciated your help when I am not here. :circle-of-love:
Hello 420 Mag. First time, long time. I wanted to chime in on my experience with the Mars II 700. Best light for the price, great customer service (Sara will answer any questions you have without the pressure) and they can grow some great flowers. They can improve on a few thing s here and there as they have shown with different spectrum s now and a Coming Soon new light. I would be interested in experiencing the new light. I have been growing for a bit now and with a few diff LEDs and have found this light to be worth the money you spend. Are there better lights, yes, but for closet/small tent application mars II is a solid start as LED technology with canna growing continue s to be explored.

Side Note: Absolutely go with carbon filter. Remove the odor not cover it up

Stay tuned for my first 420 mag grow with LED's (lights TBD)

thanks guys that helps alot! should i go for a 4" inline duct and carbon for my space? 2'x2'x5'? the odor thing just for the side for good smell :)
Hello CoNerd, how is everything going? :volcano-smiley:
I agree that a filter is required. You'll need a speed controller too. Even during veg, the plants were stinky until I installed a filter in my 2x3x5' tent.
Always good helper here. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Either using a Phresh Filter Lo-Pro 4in x 20in 125CFM - Perfect Gardens or a Phresh Filter 4in x 8in 150CFM - Perfect Gardens may compliment your grow area. Carbon filters with higher CFM ratings and larger surface areas will last longer.

THX for sharing with us, nice photos, I love them. :cheesygrinsmiley:
There's been some questions recently about how close to place Mars Hydro Reflector series lights to your plants.

Here's what is working for me. I let the top buds get within 6" of the LED's on the last batch with no issues.
Light_height1.jpg

These are at the start of week 6 under 12/12 lighting.
Note the "Dead LED" ... Jim, It's not dead, it's a working IR LED!
My phone camera lens filters out most of the IR, so it looks barely lit, just like by eye.
IMAG046012.jpg

The plant on the far right is in week 3 of 12/12. My plants grew out of control in my first batch, so I'm now trying to train them for fewer, larger buds.
IMAG045918.jpg

I purchased MH 48x3's about 5 months ago, hoping they would work. I think they are great lights for small grows. They run pretty cool and are very friendly and safe to work around. Never a burn, even if you contact the face of the light.
The buds get dense and very frosty under LED lights. The Pistils on a small bud on a lower branch started to turn brown, so I took it for reference.
Early_Bud-A.JPG

Pistil-A.JPG

Pistil-B.JPG

Trichome-Closeup.JPG

I'm running 255W (3x 48x3w MH Reflector series) in about 5ft sq. (~.5m2). I have one set up to rotate 90 deg every 12 hours.
IMAG045014.jpg

Your are right, more smaller lights offers better coverage and flexibility. :circle-of-love:
Personally for that space, i would go with the mars 400w. 4 is ideal, but 2 is still a lot of light. I have 2 x 1.2mx1.2m tents, one with a single mars 1200 and 1 with 4 x mars 400. Both are great, but the later offers more flexibility, especially if not growing ScrOG
Hello Hiker, how is everything going? :circle-of-love:
Absolutely right! :high-five:

Multiple smaller lights should always do better than a single large light. It's not like HPS where the 'bigger' bulbs actually put out more energetic light, ie they would travel further or penetrate deeper. With LEDs, they all use the same LEDs so if I have 50 or 500, they all contain the same amount of energy, or penetration power. You have to shift your logic a little when moving from HID to LED.

If I put 200 LEDs into a 24"x24" package, it's going to have a certain coverage area.
If I put those same 200 LEDs into 4 lights, and then spread those lights out, I will be able to get a better coverage with the same LEDs. Granted, 4 of the 200 LED lights would be better, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples. All other things being equal, multiple lights will give you better coverage than a single large light.

When I was first putting my 2 x 2 x 5 together, that was my biggest concern was smell. I Run a 4 inch vortex, which has a ten year warranty and a 4 x 12 phresh filter with speed controller. And yes if you're growing good genetics, guaranteed the plants will stink in vegetative phase. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a part of your setup that you cannot half ass or live without. For around the same price you mentioned, you can get the fan,filter, and speed controller for about 200 bucks. It will be the best 200 dollars you ever spent.
I have right around 550 invested with odds and ends and that's about right for that type of space. Sometimes you got to pay to play.

Back
Top Bottom