KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

Flower Day 03

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-08-2014_-_001.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-08-2014_-_002.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_01-08-2014_-_003.JPG

The Brainstorm Haze will be watered tonight with with a nutrient mixture consisting of 10 millilitres per gallon of Flora Gro, 7 millilitres per gallon of Flora Micro and 10 millilitres per gallon of Flora Bloom and 5 millilitres per gallon of calcium and magnesium.

Subscribed, definitely subscribed!

Mother of God, i can't believe how much they grew from Flower day 0 to day 3!! Unbelievable!

Apologies if this has already been asked earlier in the thread, but i've only just found this (at page 38 lol). Can you clear something up for me, this whole "removing leaves" thing. There is much so contradictory information flying around that i find myself nothing but confused.

This is the question, and it's a big one which i'm sure you have answered 1000 times:

Should you remove leaves, or should you not? If so, when?

I have read Jorge Cervantes' indoor bible, and i remember him advising against removing healthy leaves because the plant can access food in healthy fan leaves quicker than the photosynthesis process can produce it all over again. Although this may be true, it seems that a lot of people are doing it, and with great success! However, I have also read somewhere that fan leaves are used as a secondary food source (or something). It feels like i'm chasing my tail with this one

What ever you say i shall treat as gospel because if i can produce plants anything like yours i would be a very very happy man indeed :)

Mother of God, i can't believe how much they grew from Flower day 0 to day 3!! Unbelievable!

Apologies if this has already been asked earlier in the thread, but i've only just found this (at page 38 lol). Can you clear something up for me, this whole "removing leaves" thing. There is much so contradictory information flying around that i find myself nothing but confused.

This is the question, and it's a big one which i'm sure you have answered 1000 times:

I have read Jorge Cervantes' indoor bible, and i remember him advising against removing healthy leaves because the plant can access food in healthy fan leaves quicker than the photosynthesis process can produce it all over again. Although this may be true, it seems that a lot of people are doing it, and with great success! However, I have also read somewhere that fan leaves are used as a secondary food source (or something). It feels like i'm chasing my tail with this one

What ever you say i shall treat as gospel because if i can produce plants anything like yours i would be a very very happy man indeed :)

What I would do is take a horticulture program at your local university or community college, many of the ideas expressed on the journals contradict common fundamentals....and what is good? What is correct?.......Compete against yourself........your knowledge is what will propel you to a level that you can accept.........and what you are willing to accept will be your only limitation.

The reason why there are a few trains of thought on this is b/c the human race is obviously still trying to nail it down. With that said, a grower has his own beliefs of what the defol does or doesn't do. Some use it to intentionally hinder growth so as not to be overgrown for the space they have to grow in. I too am still developing an understanding of what it means to me and how I should use it in my grows. The previous sentence should bring to attention that I don't "know" exactly what defoliation does or doesn't do, but I hope to someday through trial and error, as well as other growers shared experiences.

What I would do is take a horticulture program at your local university or community college, many of the ideas expressed on the journals contradict common fundamentals....and what is good? What is correct?.......

You know what mcloadie...i may just do that! Thanks.

It's like a thirst, I want to know absolutely everything haha! But I think i need to understand the fundamentals in order to sort out the kaos that is my knowledge on hydroculture at the moment!

Compete against yourself........your knowledge is what will propel you to a level that you can accept.........and what you are willing to accept will be your only limitation.

wow! If i ever have children, i hope to repeat these words to them!! :bravo:

My thoughts exactly!!

The most friendly bigwigs on the NET.. Too many online ninjas on other sites...

I lurked for awhile too, but found the members very welcoming on here.

I have a thirst for knowledge too, love learning new stuff. Im in my first grow and loving it

Good luck on your grow :peace:

What ever you say i shall treat as gospel because if i can produce plants anything like yours i would be a very very happy man indeed

Def defoliate if yield is important to u. However if u are new to growing i suggest getting through a couple of grows with as little interference as possible. that way u will have a basic bench mark to test against. Defoliating correctly is an advanced technique, as is training and a hundred other things.

in the beginning (or even throughout ur growing life) follow the K.I.S.S or in other words, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Do the least as possible to ur plants and they'll thank u for it.

Once u understand not only how to grow efficiently but also understand the characteristics of the strains u like then start to experiment.

My point is defoliation works, as does many other techniques when done correctly by an experienced grower. Dont run before we can walk. ;)

in the beginning (or even throughout ur growing life) follow the K.I.S.S or in other words, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Do the least as possible to ur plants and they'll thank u for it.

Sound advise if i've ever seen it, the above in particular, thanks!

Defoliation is a point of controversy. I have found that cannabis can grow too dense and shade out many productive bud sites. A few days after defoliation a cannabis plant will have a very fast growth phase where its smaller leaves will grow quite quickly to make up the lost leaf mass. In vegetative growth when I defoliate I have found that a cannabis plant will grow a similar amount of leaf mass in as little as 10 days under High Intensity Discharge lighting with a Metal Halide light bulb. Ideally I would have allowed a 7 day vegetative growth period between defoliation and placing the plants in flower, this was also done to limit the amount of stretch due to height restrictions. The growth at the nodes of the plants were small, defoliation has encouraged these small fan leaves to grow. You can see the amount of leaf growth that has occurred in only 3 days. Defoliation can be done when a cannabis plant has sufficient size and leaf mass in vegetative growth and allowed rebuild its leaf mass. Defoliation can be done in flower at days 21-25 when the stretch phase has ended and again at day 45 if needed.

Fan leaves are nutrient sinks that store nutrients and generate energy for the plant, I would recommend if you are going to defoliate that only the lower growth that will not produce anything except popcorn buds and any leaf that shades a bud site be removed.

I have read a study where fan leaves were removed and the sugar leaves that emerge from buds are said to supply enough energy to the cannabis plant.

"However Jeast (03.13.02) believes that the rich green leaves emerging from the bud are a sufficient energy source of solar energy for the plant's floral development. Therefore the old fan leaves are once again rendered useless and only drain energy from the developing part of the plant (Jeast, 03.13.02)Fan leaves store mobile nutrients, these stored nutrients are essential in the later stages of flowering. When flushing a plant the fan leaves will lose their colour quickly. This is because the nutrients are being mobilized to the atypical meristem (grow tip, bud site). Draining your fan leaves with a flushing period will increase floral development"

Bassman59 has several grow journals where he uses a high amount of defoliation and has excellent harvests

@Bassman59

I recommend you either grow for several harvests and for that to serve as a basis on your understanding of how cannabis can grow or when growing the same strain you defoliate one plant and have one plant as a control to see how the plants differ in their development.

"I have found that cannabis can grow too dense and shade out many productive bud sites"

bud sights aren't productive, they're not sources, they're sinks. sources (like fan leaves) provide, while sinks only consume.

"A few days after defoliation a cannabis plant will have a very fast growth phase where its smaller leaves will grow quite quickly to make up the lost leaf mass."

defoliation in flowering is the cause of leafy buds, as I've always thought as well.

defoliation in veg may be helpful as pruning is known to "push" the plant to strengthen itself while it's still growing vigorously. defoliation is also good if there is a circulation/mold issue.

I know pruning budsights that are far from the light is productive as there are less sinks to waste energy on.

Back
Top Bottom