KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

So you feel this a good product so far ? Looking to nail down my seed starting for my next grow as autos are up. I want to use something like this as you can put the cube in my 3 gal pot and not have to ever replant.

Yep me to Carl

Good day KJC

Sorry to hear about the slight leaf problem... but after taking a look through ya journal i suspect it was minor PH issue to which you recently have corrected, this should all improve health in the long run.

Although you always have very good pictorial documentation; I really enjoy the filming and commentary much more. Nice looking plants as always. Your approach to the subject shows real professionalism

Yep thats King John to the tea and this is why you have so many followers Maharaj:thumb:

I have had better germination rates with the Rapid Rooter rooting starter then with Jiffy peat moss pellets. So far i am impressed with the Rapid Rooters. I germinate the seeds in a glass of pH adjusted water until tap roots appear 36 hours later then place the seeds individually in a saturated Rapid Rooter mat in a seed stater tray, I leave the Rapid Rooter uncovered and moisten once a day with pH adjusted water.

https://generalhydroponics.com rapid rooter

Vegetative Day 12

Brainstorm_Haze_Group_Shot_2013-10-13-08.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_001.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_002.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_003.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_004.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_005.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_006.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_007.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_008.JPG

KingJohnC_s_and_Labexperiment_s_Brainstorm_Haze_10-13-2013_-_009.JPG

they look as they should :) moving the light up really helped, those lights are strong! big up to whoever pointed out heat and or light intensity stress

plants look great, growing well,
to me it looked like heat stress or light stress, to much light to early caused me problems even with cfls, once their a bit older the lights can be much closer, it sort of bleaches the leaves if the lights to closer,

either way problem solved and plants look great

to much light to early caused me problems even with cfls

I used a CFL during the seedling phase of my Sour Diesel, keeping it at about 1'' above, sometimes practically touching the leaves, without any problems. So it sounds to me, that genetics play a big role in this.

Either way, your plants are starting to look great KJC! I, and I think I speak for many here as I think I've seen it mentioned before, really do appreciate the professionalism you exercise. Not only in your grow and setup, but in the way you present it as well, with date notes, labeled photos with consistent angles, video diaries.
I'm really looking forward to the fruits of your hard and disciplined labour! :peace:

with the cfls i was using the plants can touch the bulbs without getting burned as their 23watt and 30watt 6400k cfls, they bleach my leaves if their less than 1inch from the bulb, i find the sweet spot for my cfls is about 2 to 4 inches from the plants, any further than that and i get stretched plants,

if i start plants under the dual spectrum hps then they stretch as the light is to far away so seedlings tend to fall over and node spacing is pretty big, so i always use cfls to start my seedlings, node spacing is very close and no stretch what so ever, so all my plants start under cfls then after week 2 they go under the dual spec hps,

ive produced some very nice bud under cfls, i only switched to hps as i was easily running over 400watts with lots of cfl bulbs, had them all over the place, above the plants and down the sides, but i wanted to grow more plants so it was either wack a load of cfls in the room pushing me above 600watts or go with a 65,000 lumin dual spec hps, so clearly the hps was the cheapest option but not very good for starting plants under, maybe if i used a mh bulb then they would be ok but the dual spec seems to make seedlings stretch early on, after week to i dont have any problems, so i just use a small cupboard for my seedlings and clones.

i think its something about the spectrum the cfls produce, plants seem to respond well to them but with the low watt bulbs you need lots of them if your going to grow big plants, a scrog would be ideal under cfls as you would not have problems producing nice buds, i mainly use 23 watt cfls as they give the best watt to lumin ration compared with the higher wattage bulbs, my first grow was with cfls from start to finish, produced very nice buds, i only flipped to hid due to the watts i was using with the cfls.

the other problem with cfls is that some digital timers make the cfls flicker on when their off, i read this on here somewhere and thought nothing of it, then when i was using a 7day digital timer i noticed the cfls would flicker on once or twice during the lights off period, so their must be something going on in the timer that causes the cfls to flash, so i dont use digital timers now for the cfls, not such a problem in veg but if you flowered and had the lights flicker on then it could cause hermie plants, my tropical fish tank coffee table does the same when i run that light on a timer, in the night the flourescent light will flicker on just for a split second then it goes off again, must be some power somewhere thats causing the cfls and fl to flash, its only 1 flash but thats enough to hermie a plant if it does it over a few nights

the other problem with cfls is that some digital timers make the cfls flicker on when their off, i read this on here somewhere and thought nothing of it, then when i was using a 7day digital timer i noticed the cfls would flicker on once or twice during the lights off period, so their must be something going on in the timer that causes the cfls to flash, so i dont use digital timers now for the cfls, not such a problem in veg but if you flowered and had the lights flicker on then it could cause hermie plants, my tropical fish tank coffee table does the same when i run that light on a timer, in the night the flourescent light will flicker on just for a split second then it goes off again, must be some power somewhere thats causing the cfls and fl to flash, its only 1 flash but thats enough to hermie a plant if it does it over a few nights

That's good information to know, I'm glad I went with older mechanical technology for my timer. I would be worried that that might be happening to my plants had I had a digital timer. Another thing about digital timers I didn't like was that unless they had some sort of battery backup, which could still fail to properly backup your lighting programs, you could lose all of your programming during a power failure and who knows what the lights would do after the power was restored. With a mechanical timer, they continue from where they left off after a power failure and a simple turn of the dial resets the proper start/end times. The one negative I've encountered, only once so far, with my timer is the program can be altered without you knowing about it if you accidentally hit the program buttons. I now check the timer daily to make sure that it has not been altered in any way.

I bought a digital timer, then promptly returned to the hydro store, and exchanged for a mechanical one of the same brand. The guy told me he would not refund the difference, and I told him to keep his damn six bucks, I didn't like the way it flickered, and it would change the program like CH mentioned. Not to mention I'm kinda old school, I remember trying to grow some bagseed under a cheap walmart flouro, with a 5 dollar timer, and some MG soil, didn't know a damn thing then, and I'm still learning every day.

digital timers do have a battery back up for power cuts, when you buy them they are totally flat but once they been plugged in for a while the battery charges up and you can unplug it then and the timer stays on and the clock keeps working,

i bought a few digital times but found them very poor, the one was a 28day timer and as we know we have 24 hours days on this planet, well the one day i wondered why my lights hadnt gone off so looked at the timer and it said the time was 38:79:89, damn thing had lost the plot or was designed for some other planed, i changed to mechanical but left the digital one plugged into a spare plug to see what would happen to the time and it kept going right up till 99:99:99, so not sure what planet that was made on but certainly didnt have a 24hour clock on it, just kept on going. it was ok for a few days then just crapped out so got 3 digital timers sitting in the spare room that i wont use. ive not had the old style timers mess up even once.

the only issue i can see with the the mechanical timers is that the could get built up with dust and not click on or off but give it a bash and it should be ok, them digital timers was very poor and i paid £25 for the one. thats the one that had 99 hours per day. i guess i paid the extra because it gave me more hours per day but certainly no good for planet earth.

the only issue i can see with the the mechanical timers is that the could get built up with dust and not click on or off but give it a bash and it should be ok, them digital timers was very poor and i paid £25 for the one. thats the one that had 99 hours per day. i guess i paid the extra because it gave me more hours per day but certainly no good for planet earth.

A good blast of canned air periodically can help to keep that kind of build-up at bay. BTW, you paid extra because I'm pretty sure that shipping from whatever planet/dimension from which it came was pretty expensive. ;)

Back
Top Bottom