Up to the point at which it becomes the growing medium rather than the soil. ;) With no perlite, 1:3 is a good target, or 1:4 if you want better water retention outside for hot days. Best thing to do is to run your hands through it and see if it feels like the Fox Farms stuff!
I like to add about an inch of it to the bottom of my grow bags. CL🍀

Soak those babies for sure. Growth rate might double!
You were right I swear they have grown sense this morning. I really appreciate all your help. This makes me feel a lot more confident that my plants will come through just fine.

I like to add about an inch of it to the bottom of my grow bags. CL🍀
Why? You're shortening the pot and you're raising the perched water table.

If you're interested, check out @syenite's post on the "perched water table," with a great video demonstration as well! Start at 6:32 if you're pressed for time after reading the post. It shows how rocks raise the perched water table making for a shallower pot.

Here's a pretty in-depth page on it as well:

Up to the point at which it becomes the growing medium rather than the soil. ;) With no perlite, 1:3 is a good target, or 1:4 if you want better water retention outside for hot days. Best thing to do is to run your hands through it and see if it feels like the Fox Farms stuff!
The reason I said more was better is because he was talking about using his garden soil which can be poor at drainage. CL🍀

If you're interested, check out @syenite's post on the "perched water table," with a great video demonstration as well! Start at 6:32 if you're pressed for time after reading the post. It shows how rocks raise the perched water table making for a shallower pot.

In the video she is using plastic pots whereas I’m using bags so my question is how is that the same? When I water to runoff I have wet bags @ the bottom, I don’t see how the bottom of the bag would be retaining moisture? CL🍀

Perched water table cool. Thanks, and I did not know that. You are a professor Shed. How do you remember all this stuff.

I don’t see how the bottom of the bag would be retaining moisture?
It's not the bag, it's the soil above the perlite. Adding layers of rocks/hydroton/perlite at the bottom means a higher perched water table. Water to runoff and then pick your cloth bag by one edge and let it dangle diagonally. You will get additional runoff just like she does in plastic pots.
Perched water table cool. Thanks, and I did not know that. You are a professor Shed. How do you remember all this stuff.
Dunno!

In the video she is using plastic pots whereas I’m using bags so my question is how is that the same? When I water to runoff I have wet bags @ the bottom, I don’t see how the bottom of the bag would be retaining moisture? CL🍀
I am going to use grow bags to, and it will still retain water I believe.

It's not the bag, it's the soil above the perlite. Adding layers of rocks/hydroton/perlite at the bottom means a higher perched water table. Water to runoff and then pick your cloth bag by one edge and let it dangle diagonally. You will get additional runoff just like she does in plastic pots.

Dunno!
I will give that a try, I thank you Sir for sharing that. You truly are the Shedmeister or should I say Professor Shedmeister.🦸🙏 CL🍀

I’m still learning but luckily I have a good instructor.🦸 CL🍀
Yes, you do. Capt. you have not been here much longer than me, but you retain what you learn. What you have done on your indoor growing is amazing Really! That is why I consider you a man of the know.

Yes, you do. Capt. you have not been here much longer than me, but you retain what you learn. What you have done on your indoor growing is amazing Really! That is why I consider you a man of the know.
Thanks Keith but most of the credit goes to the Shedster. And although I had a rocky start I did figure out what percentage of RX to feed them so I can take credit for that. CL🍀

Thanks Keith but most of the credit goes to the Shedster. And although I had a rocky start I did figure out what percentage of RX to feed them so I can take credit for that. CL🍀
Shed is a professor I think a lot of people go to him for answers on everything to do with growing. You can take credit for a lot more than that. I am not trying to stroke anyone's ego I mean what I say. If I did not, I wouldn't say nothing at all.

Back
Top Bottom