Keffkas Coast Of Maine Line, TLO/LOS Style, Bagseed, Indoor Grow

I agree 100%.. @Gee64 and I actually had a very similar conversation to this. I believe he does in fact add all of the essential elements to his worm bin which makes for outstanding castings. I believe that it would also be highly probable that one could grow the entire grow with just these quality EWC and perlite or pumice (or any other aeration amendment that will hold up to the insanely high decomp levels.). It may not be pushing the charts on yield, but theoretically it seems entirely possible.

I think we would find that there’s really no need for anything other than some myco.. Custom fed EWC would provide everything from the nutrients to the food web life. We would probably find it beneficial to add a few amendments just for soil structure but that’s more physical characteristics than any sort of nutrient need.

It’s thought that every single particle of soil has passed through a worm at least once, and as we know soil holds everything we need, especially when healthy with a food web. I’m working on getting my EWC bin going myself now that Christmas is over and I can spend my money on myself again lol.
Other than adding perlite and/or coco at the time of mixing my mix is 50 used soil reammended thru the worm farm and 50% used soil completely unammended. Then I use spikes and layers more or less as per The Rev's mixes, all together in 10gal cloth pots or 6gal cloth cubes that fit in milk crates. Clones get 6gals, seeds get 10gals.

Other than adding perlite and/or coco at the time of mixing my mix is 50 used soil reammended thru the worm farm and 50% used soil completely unammended. Then I use spikes and layers more or less as per The Rev's mixes, all together in 10gal cloth pots or 6gal cloth cubes that fit in milk crates. Clones get 6gals, seeds get 10gals.

Have you tried running just EWC or compost spikes aerated? At those container sizes you should be fairly set.. Although as I say that I think I remember you saying you can get your lights in real close, which you’d definitely need a boost for that.

At 22:45 in this video he directly addresses the “feed the world” question

“I am producing a much, much greater quantity of food per acre than under the industrial model”

This includes cash crop, meat, wool, honey, etc.
Man I like this guy! He's encouraging! It's being taken more seriously than I thought!

I’ll post again when it gets closer but if anyone else is interested, you’ll be able to find me slaying demons when this drops. Blizzard got smart and finally gave me a reason to pre-purchase, you get to play 4 days early. I’ve never cared about cosmetics but early access to 1.0 (you also get open beta but those always suck cuz you get wiped lol) will get me lol.
Can’t wait for it to come out hopefully I have interwebs by then!

That’s why I got angry when I figured it out 😂 can you imagine how much we could cut back on emissions and unsustainable practices if we were taught in childhood how simple it is to maintain a high quality self sustaining garden? How clean and efficient our farms could be if we had started from this point instead of fighting literal wars over nitrogen?! Don’t get me started on Phosphorus lol. We’ve been betrayed for profit, again.

I feel my blood pressure raising just thinking about it 😂
If I’m not mistaken it’s Phosphorus that they were destroying Florida for before I left.Smh bastards CL🍀

Man I like this guy! He's encouraging! It's being taken more seriously than I thought!

Very encouraging! He delivers it in a very matter of fact way that only a farmer can as well. He also knows exactly which subjects he really needs to have answers to with concrete facts.

These ideas are beginning to reach globally as well.. Especially in the poorer nations where farmers can’t get million dollar bank loans and government subsidies to synthetically grow unnecessary excess.

The more we learn the more we realize that the Native Americans knew all of this already. Obviously not the molecular science of the topics but that we need to be stewards of the land and work with it not against it. Plants evolved from the oceans millions of years before us, they know what to do.

If I’m not mistaken it’s Phosphorus that they were destroying Florida for before I left.Smh bastards CL🍀

Possibly.. Without myco and the soil food web phosphorus is so difficult to get to plants. It’s one of the most tightly bound nutrients which is why so much of it is used that the runoff devastates the Gulf of Mexico every year.. Look at this:
F04EC006-AD08-456A-8919-045022FF158A.jpeg

That’s a lot of unnecessary death and pollution. If you get myco going in the soil it will handle almost all of the phosphorus needs a plant can have. Myco is the number one phosphorous releaser there is, but when you don’t have a healthy soil food web it gets locked up really easily. So then we pour phosphorus on our plants and they get only a minuscule amount of it before it’s locked up again. The presence of this much P locked up in the soil discourages myco growth so we get stuck in this cycle of not having enough myco to release P, so we add more P which then discourages myco growth and now you’ve got so much P it’s just running into streams and oceans like a free for all.

It’s frustrating to watch ourselves just chase our tails right into the ground.

Very encouraging! He delivers it in a very matter of fact way that only a farmer can as well. He also knows exactly which subjects he really needs to have answers to with concrete facts.

These ideas are beginning to reach globally as well.. Especially in the poorer nations where farmers can’t get million dollar bank loans and government subsidies to synthetically grow unnecessary excess.

The more we learn the more we realize that the Native Americans knew all of this already. Obviously not the molecular science of the topics but that we need to be stewards of the land and work with it not against it. Plants evolved from the oceans millions of years before us, they know what to do.
That's one good thing to look forward to this year!

Everyone’s looking strong and healthy.. The oldest seedling looks like she wants some magnesium which tells me everyone is gonna want some soon.. I’m still debating about how to deliver this.. I think I’ll add a little epsom salt to my water and see what happens.

I’ve germinated and ran quite a few seedlings prior to this.. They’re all fairly easy up until about this point.. Day 12.. they usually like to start showing their personalities around this point.

Everything looks good Keffka! Happy I made it in time

Happy to have you! You definitely made it in time, we’re getting ready for transplant to veg containers over the next few days. Welcome, and feel free to ask any questions or add any knowledge you may have!

Alright so I prepped out my first Veg container.. I will be making a few adjustments to the next containers as I’m not completely happy with the result but I’m interested to see the differences.

Here’s the floor of my 1 gallon.. I’ve wet it so the dry nutrients I lay down adhere better

I mixed up these nutrients for my bottom layer.. I’ll be using 2 of the 3 for my top layer once I’ve transplanted into it

Here they are mixed together.. the measurements I’ve used are in the description

Here they are on the floor of the container first before everything

Here is the next layer.. aerated lobster compost.. the measurements are in the description.. on my next container I think I’m gonna bring it down either a half cup or whole cup haven’t decided yet

Here’s the lobster compost laid into the container.. you can see from the perlite I have sprayed this down with pure water using a spray bottle

I then filled the container the rest of the way with my base mix as seen here

I went too high on the sides.. I have about an inch of space to the top of the container, I’d prefer 2 inches for my mulch. I’m gonna run with this though and see what kind of differences I see.

I sprayed everything down again once it was all formed. I took the container and placed it on the floor in my grow room.. I want the container to warm up so the microbeasties can start getting busy and adapted to my environment.. This is so when I drop the transplant in it’s already rocking and rolling. This will sit for about 2-3 days. An additional layer similar to the floor of my container will be put on top along with some extra aerated EWC and my mulch when I drop in. I will then water everything in with about a half quart of water.

That’s all I have for tonight.. I’ll share the next container I setup and let everyone know the changes I decided on.

Ok, I have a question. When do we get to the SIP part?

:laughtwo:
:laughtwo:

Originally I had planned to wait another grow or two while I dial my room in. That was also when I expected to need to make more major adjustments by this point. However, these plants are already looking so good, and my environment is right where I want it, I may skip ahead. I was operating off the belief I was gonna have at least 2 stragglers/weaker plants by this point, but so far everyone seems to be firing up with no major problems.

This is a problem by itself 😂 I had anticipated culling them down by 2s at each transplant, now I’m already gonna have to adjust slightly to 8 healthy plants instead of 6. This adjustment leaves an opening and I’m thinking about making a SIP or 2 for my flowering containers.

I’ll be running these 1 gallons for 30 days. 14 days seedling solo cup plus 30 days 1 gallon leaves me at 44 days above ground. I want to get to 58 days before flower so when I transplant into my flower containers everyone will have 2 weeks to adjust. That window right there should be enough to allow 2 winners to drop into a SIP just in time for flower.

These seeds aren’t feminized though so there’s a 5050 chance there’s some males.. Although in my experience and the reading I’ve done.. the better care and less stress I can give the plants the better my chances of getting females. Males almost seem like a stress response by themselves.. This will require way more data before I’m comfortable even acknowledging the possibility lol.

So.. In the end.. It really depends on how many females come out.. Well, actually how many males come out. Males like to show before females in my experience. So as long as I have more than 4 plants not showing male at my flower transplant, at least one SIP will get established.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED AZ?! Does this not please you?! 😂 But no for real lol, even The Rev himself says in this 2nd version of the book, he uses self watering pots these days. He likes to use living water in them as well which I’m already prepped to do, except I still need a freshwater fish tank which I have, I just killed the last batch of fish thinking the environment had already stabilized. (It didn’t lol)

Have you tried running just EWC or compost spikes aerated? At those container sizes you should be fairly set.. Although as I say that I think I remember you saying you can get your lights in real close, which you’d definitely need a boost for that.
I have tried using various different spikes, although not straight EWC, and the Rev's work the best. When you disect the final rootball you can see how the roots reacted to it. So I just stay with his recipe. Seeds take longer to go from start to finish than clones do so I give them the big pots. Having a worm farm allows me the luxury of having too much soil so why not, its better being used than just sitting there. Clones get 6gal cubed smart pots that drop right into milk crates, and they work really well for the shorter clone lifespan. The extra soil space in both 6 and 10gal pots allows the myco to set up in all that room before I up the microbes. I usually grow 4 pots, and 40 gallons of wet soil holds my humidity in a 5x5 tent very stable, which makes the VPD alot easier to maintain. I'm messing with a hybrid sips setup right now that shows promise, from seed to harvest I hope, which would make my grow almost labour free once the 10gals are going. They ARE pretty heavy when fully sipped with H20! And yes, big pots give big rootballs which makes for the ability to run safely at a high VPD when moving the light closer. Nothing worse than getting nice and close to the light only to find out your rootball cant keep up to your photosynthetic rate and a perfectly good plant in a healthy pot starts to exhibit signs of starvation as it is forced to grow faster than the roots/myco can handle. Small pots are definitely where you learn though, If you make a mistake or miss a timing point you know really quickly. Here is some really solid small pot advice.... Dont defoliate at all (but do de-larf) unless its a leaf that is growing inwards to the center of the pot, blocking other bud sights from the light, and even then only defoliate it if it cant be tucked out of the way. I even supercrop leaf stems to "bend" them out of the way. The reason is that all your fan leaves are batteries full of water and nutes, so if you screw up a small pot grow, which is really easy to do, you have as many leaves left as possible to life-raft you through mistakes. Quite often in the beginnings of a journey into small pot grows you will end up losing a lot of leaves over the plants life. De-larf as early as possible, as growing larf that will get stripped later is an unnescessary burden on the contents of your small pot. I kinda (well totally) loved your bagseed plant, and if I recall you stated the seeds were from you MIL's grow that selfied. If thats true, all selfy seeds are feminized, as they were created by male parts of a plant that were actually female dna so you get a seed that is XX, not XY as the female plant simply has no Y chromosomes to contribute to the seed, so I would go straight ahead on the assumption that your plants are females. If you do get a male then your MIL's neighbour is making pollen.

These seeds aren’t feminized though so there’s a 5050 chance there’s some males.. Although in my experience and the reading I’ve done.. the better care and less stress I can give the plants the better my chances of getting females. Males almost seem like a stress response by themselves.. This will require way more data before I’m comfortable even acknowledging the possibility lol.
I've found in my small scale setup that I've had way more females than males from seeds than I should have, statistically speaking. Pretty small sample size for me though as I grow mostly from clones. I do think there is something to environment as it relates to see. Need to read more about I though.

Back
Top Bottom