Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Too much light effects…

So these pictures show you some of the very uppermost leaves on the Blackberry Moonrocks. You can think of these pics as representing a “just in the bare nick of time save” from the over abundance of light. This is the first sign of what will get progressively worse and worse if not corrected. Twisting leaf tips. Misshapen tips. You can see it in the background of the one picture on the other colas. All the up top ones. This is absolutely nothing and not the slightest concern…..NOW. Phew! Now that I’ve saved the plant and my emotional state of being, (lol) I can begin to wonder: did having a ton of light during the stretch make her stretch more than usual? She sure took off. And other related questions. Lmao.

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

I couldn’t agree with you more @NickHardy ! But here’s reality - try and find a plastic floor liner in the 5x5 size. If you do, PLEASE let me know. I have been searching everywhere. If I had a 4x4, easy. Or any smaller size. But a 5x5 is tough. Here’s the other reality - when you quote the prices you pay for the same shit I get, you almost always pay about a third of what we do in the US. A floor liner like yours in 4x4 size with 2” raise and thick plastic and a central drain hole is well over $100 here. So yeah - all you say is true. It’s a pick your battles sort of thing for me. At $45 I am happy with the compromise, and I think pictures with the white floor will pop.
Hey I get - where I live is a couple of days drive from where this stuff is all (and comes DDP so no tax) so my prices are lower than near everyone for lots of stuff. Some stuff it goes the other way with a knock on the door to pay duty ON A MUG MADE IN F’KIN THAILAND! 🤣

It was more and as I think Gee was saying too - there are ways to fabricate up superior alternatives to the extra mat. Mine wear out dunno don’t care got plastic trays, Gee uses wood and pond liner for theirs. You’re no slouch when it comes to building stuff - here no wood because of the wet and humidity. Plastic better. Philly wood would work?

Throwing around ideas is all!

Hey I get - where I live is a couple of days drive from where this stuff is all (and comes DDP so no tax) so my prices are lower than near everyone for lots of stuff. Some stuff it goes the other way with a knock on the door to pay duty ON A MUG MADE IN F’KIN THAILAND! 🤣

It was more and as I think Gee was saying too - there are ways to fabricate up superior alternatives to the extra mat. Mine wear out dunno don’t care got plastic trays, Gee uses wood and pond liner for theirs. You’re no slouch when it comes to building stuff - here no wood because of the wet and humidity. Plastic better. Philly wood would work?

Throwing around ideas is all!
Tis true. I’ll make something. I love the idea of augmenting the existing liner.

As usual beautiful.
Thanks Keith! Some of the trichomes on the underside of the sugar leaf pointing to 2 o’clock drive me crazy when you blow them up.

I couldn’t agree with you more @NickHardy ! But here’s reality - try and find a plastic floor liner in the 5x5 size. If you do, PLEASE let me know. I have been searching everywhere. If I had a 4x4, easy. Or any smaller size. But a 5x5 is tough. Here’s the other reality - when you quote the prices you pay for the same shit I get, you almost always pay about a third of what we do in the US. A floor liner like yours in 4x4 size with 2” raise and thick plastic and a central drain hole is well over $100 here. So yeah - all you say is true. It’s a pick your battles sort of thing for me. At $45 I am happy with the compromise, and I think pictures with the white floor will pop.
when i was pulling wrenchs on the big rigs we had plastic drip/catch trays we put under trucks that would catch oil/anti freeze & they where 4' x 4' or 4' x 5' & probably 2-3'' tall, probably more expensive than $45 but probably last years

when i was pulling wrenchs on the big rigs we had plastic drip/catch trays we put under trucks that would catch oil/anti freeze & they where 4' x 4' or 4' x 5' & probably 2-3'' tall, probably more expensive than $45 but probably last years
Yeah totally the kinda thing mate!

Thanks @con! I would have never thought to look there!

Thanks @Keffka. She’s on day 68 and she’s an auto. That puts her in late flower, hopefully a couple days away from what I refer to as the final two week fattening time. Took me a few grows to truly learn what don’t leave before the miracle happens means, but I get it now, lol. She doesn’t really have enough time left to go too far south.

The two most major differences that can be made in terms of final quality are letting the plant sexually mature before going to flower, and letting them ripen before harvest. Sexual maturity will give insanely high levels of resin production, and allowing them to ripen will increase your yield, flavors, and smoothness.

When growing autos you obviously can’t control maturity so ripening becomes even more critical.

This is the only one showing any type of problem (she also has the too much N leaf curl down going on)

Some strains and even some geno/pheno types will want more and others will want less. Some will even prefer to be fed less more often or more less often. All these little differences are typically why a grower needs to grow a certain strain multiple times to really dial it in. This current grow I have more calcium than any other grow and they still want even more so I’ll have to try again to push their limits.

Too much light effects…

So these pictures show you some of the very uppermost leaves on the Blackberry Moonrocks. You can think of these pics as representing a “just in the bare nick of time save” from the over abundance of light. This is the first sign of what will get progressively worse and worse if not corrected. Twisting leaf tips. Misshapen tips. You can see it in the background of the one picture on the other colas. All the up top ones. This is absolutely nothing and not the slightest concern…..NOW. Phew! Now that I’ve saved the plant and my emotional state of being, (lol) I can begin to wonder: did having a ton of light during the stretch make her stretch more than usual? She sure took off. And other related questions. Lmao.

IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3048.jpeg

Agreed about twisting tips.. lifted serrations and fluorescent coloring come next in my experience..

I was wondering the same about amount of light and stretch. Conventional wisdom says that less light would cause greater stretch but I’m not sure that holds when it comes to stretching for flower. I’ll actually be testing it out in the spring

The two most major differences that can be made in terms of final quality are letting the plant sexually mature before going to flower, and letting them ripen before harvest. Sexual maturity will give insanely high levels of resin production, and allowing them to ripen will increase your yield, flavors, and smoothness.

When growing autos you obviously can’t control maturity so ripening becomes even more critical.

Some strains and even some geno/pheno types will want more and others will want less. Some will even prefer to be fed less more often or more less often. All these little differences are typically why a grower needs to grow a certain strain multiple times to really dial it in. This current grow I have more calcium than any other grow and they still want even more so I’ll have to try again to push their limits.

Agreed about twisting tips.. lifted serrations and fluorescent coloring come next in my experience..

I was wondering the same about amount of light and stretch. Conventional wisdom says that less light would cause greater stretch but I’m not sure that holds when it comes to stretching for flower. I’ll actually be testing it out in the spring
Thanks @Keffka - the other thing I was wondering about the light was this: is part of the reason my tops are all foxtailed (or at least stretched way long) on the Strawberry Gorilla due to the red light? I had assumed it was just due to too much light overall, which I know from experience can cause buds to foxtail. But these aren’t actual foxtails per se. It’s more like the upper half of each bud stretched long. Kind of half that half foxtail. Bottom of all buds is completely normal. Odd. So maybe starting the reds during the stretch (vs waiting until you have actual buds) had something to do with that? Maybe that would have happened due to the reds/timing even had I not had the ppfd too hot overall?

Thanks @Keffka - the other thing I was wondering about the light was this: is part of the reason my tops are all foxtailed (or at least stretched way long) on the Strawberry Gorilla due to the red light? I had assumed it was just due to too much light overall, which I know from experience can cause buds to foxtail. But these aren’t actual foxtails per se. It’s more like the upper half of each bud stretched long. Kind of half that half foxtail. Bottom of all buds is completely normal. Odd. So maybe starting the reds during the stretch (vs waiting until you have actual buds) had something to do with that? Maybe that would have happened due to the reds/timing even had I not had the ppfd too hot overall?
And as far as sexual maturity - are there actual signs of that? I just always let my photos go 60 days. I figured that was enough. In coco I haven’t been able to get a 60 day veg yet, it’s more like 45 or they’ll outgrow the tent. But even 45 for a photo should be enough, yes?

And as far as sexual maturity - are there actual signs of that?
As far as I know, that for sure would be pistils at the nodes:

"As we have mentioned before, when two months have passed since germination (or what is the same, when they reach the fifth or sixth stage of leaves) the plants reach the state of "sexually mature", which means that they have surely already shown their sex"
Source

...but some folks consider alternating nodes a sign of sexual maturity.

As far as I know, that for sure would be pistils at the nodes:

"As we have mentioned before, when two months have passed since germination (or what is the same, when they reach the fifth or sixth stage of leaves) the plants reach the state of "sexually mature", which means that they have surely already shown their sex"
Source

...but some folks consider alternating nodes a sign of sexual maturity.
What do you mean “alternating nodes”?

I have plants present basically perfect symmetry all the way up. From seedling to harvest. Not all by any means. Its very strain dependent - Bruce Banner is an example of like ugly nodes.

How can nodes indicate sexual maturity?!

What do you mean “alternating nodes”?
When the plant gets to a certain age, the nodes will no longer be directly opposite each other. They alternate on either side of the plant as the new ones grow in. On some tight indicas they can be close, but they're still staggered.

"The spacing between nodes displays what kind of cannabis you are growing. A node is where any two branches intersect off the main stalk. When a plant is young, nodes develop in pairs. When a plant has matured nodes start to alternate. They still develop in pairs but there is more distance between them and branches are no longer parallel to one another."
Source

"Seedlings will begin by growing opposite pairs of nodes and leaves but as time passes the nodes will start to grow alternately, sign the plant is mature and ready to flower."
Source

I would watch the 97 plants you currently have in veg and individually track which node they're on when they start alternating. It can be tough to tell what's what late in flower with the stretch and trimming.
Yeah record keeping could be better and I see your point.

Hours in the day… its a side hustle.

We’re very much herd mentality in that grow.

Plus S&E 🤣

But the Giant Solos I can make time for it there.

This grow - and the second photo is of a Red Hot Cookies and a great example is where having literally taken the roof off the room we - well me really - wanted to grow as tall as possible. The mono silicate def made it possible to keep them mostly vertical. Next grow all bushier indica leaning hybrids. Way shorter, we’ll flip sooner.

But yep that journal ends at harvest and testing (lower bud v top cola included) just leaves the outdoor, the giant solos which is very much my passion project and the Canuk (if they ever arrive!) The journals are being culled!

Back
Top Bottom