Jon's Final Florida Journal For Real

Morning @InTheShed - @Remo Nutrients by the book update on the Strawberry Gorilla. I think Remo has it right in terms of when you’re supposed to discontinue their MagNifiCal. As you can see here, I have a few spots like this on a couple leaves. I interpret this as calmag burn. It is just a tiny bit, it doesn’t appear to be progressing, and I’m not concerned about it. But - it does illustrate the importance of stopping that ingredient when they say to. Pretty easy to see that if I hadn’t, on schedule, she would get worse and worse, don’t you think?

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3019.jpeg

I have to concur, calmag issues.. The bronze blob not so much but your serrations definitely look like it

Here’s an example of Calcium built up from salts in the rhizosphere

IMG_6428.jpeg

What phase is that plant in @Jon

I have to concur, calmag issues.. The bronze blob not so much but your serrations definitely look like it

IMG_6428.jpeg

Ha! Well I asked the opinion of the guy I called the Calcium King!

And he told me, nope I’m wrong 😂

I guess as in coco wind it all back and two days they’ll perk up. I’d maybe drop the Ph way down below ph 5 even 4.5 perhaps, because if its Cal Mag toxicity its the micros getting locked out and the potential uptake of those is way better at those Ph levels.

Ha! Well I asked the opinion of the guy I called the Calcium King!

And he told me, nope I’m wrong 😂

I guess as in coco wind it all back and two days they’ll perk up. I’d maybe drop the Ph way down below ph 5 even 4.5 perhaps, because if its Cal Mag toxicity its the micros getting locked out and the potential uptake of those is way better at those Ph levels.

I’m not sure of the situation of this plant, just went off of the image so I wouldn’t bet on it.

This right here though is why calcium locks everything else up and why it’s so magical

IMG_6012.jpeg

It’s important to get the ratios right.. you can have limitless calcium but everything else must be in proportion. If you’re using a nutrient system/line and are using as directed, these ratios change during the grow, so if you’re not shifting everything it can quickly fall apart.

It also could just be salt buildup in the rhizosphere. However since Jon said he was supposed to have shifted but didn’t I’d lean into that being the issue.

IMG_6428.jpeg

Thanks @Keffka. She’s on day 68 and she’s an auto. That puts her in late flower, hopefully a couple days away from what I refer to as the final two week fattening time. Took me a few grows to truly learn what don’t leave before the miracle happens means, but I get it now, lol. She doesn’t really have enough time left to go too far south.

I’m not sure of the situation of this plant, just went off of the image so I wouldn’t bet on it.

This right here though is why calcium locks everything else up and why it’s so magical

IMG_6012.jpeg

It’s important to get the ratios right.. you can have limitless calcium but everything else must be in proportion. If you’re using a nutrient system/line and are using as directed, these ratios change during the grow, so if you’re not shifting everything it can quickly fall apart.

It also could just be salt buildup in the rhizosphere. However since Jon said he was supposed to have shifted but didn’t I’d lean into that being the issue.
@Keffka - well, actually it was last grow when I failed to discontinue it on schedule. That caused this times fifty. This time I have discontinued it on schedule. This I saw a while ago, I knew to expect and look for it. Remo by the book is hot in flower. And there’s a lot of calmag if you still add your own as I was taught to do in coco with every feed. All the autos have gotten 5ml/gallon of 2-0-0 CalMag plus iron atop the Remo feed. Apparently coco leaches Calcium and Magnesium more than soil. The point of the ‘experiment’ that originated with a question and assertion from Shed and I bought in to, was to use Remo by the book regardless of the outcome and if the plant suffers oh well, that’s the price of the lesson. Gotta know what the baseline is. New nute system last time. But it only takes me one grow. This time I did it just to establish the baseline for myself. So of the four autos in coco, all got fed exactly and precisely this same way. This is the only one showing any type of problem (she also has the too much N leaf curl down going on). Since the problems weren’t killing her as long as I could deal with it I was gonna stay the experimental course. And here we are, lol. Since the other three are fabulous, I chalk it up to strain specific response. I also now know exactly how to affect the Remo system to achieve any outcome I want. Including non Remo additives.

Blackberry Moonrocks

This is what it looks like when a plant is saying thanks for turning that fucking light down.

IMG_3043.jpeg
I’m starting to be able to read too much light before the bad stuff happens. Now that we have this girl back down to where she should be I can see it very clearly. The way she looks now is how she looked right before the stretch. Like she is firing on all cylinders. But in the stretch she more than doubled and before I knew it I had not measured in a while and things seemed okay.

They weren’t. If I hadn’t corrected this the plant would soon begin to really bitch and show it. Severe light damage can creep up on you. It’s why I almost always measure frequently and stay on it, particularly during the stretch. I’m hoping someone on here may know the science on this, but I can see that when a plant has too much light and it’s been a bit, seemingly every plant process begins to be compromised. Growth is slowed. Stuff turns brown. It seems as if they don’t process nutrients properly or something. Respiration and any internal processes must also become compromised I’d think, just don’t have the scientific education to verbalize the how or why. But it’s something I’ve noticed over my whole grow history, just nice to be starting to sort of understand it and recognize ot before it happens.

I’ve found a good rule of thumb is, if your plant seems pretty healthy but something is just off about it, if you believe you are doing everything right and can’t figure out why she just won’t “pop” for you or whatever - the answer often lies in your light levels. One way or another, I suggest everyone can benefit from having a way to measure the light.

Garden
On Feeding the Autos

I started doing this last grow and it seemed to work extremely well. Every day the autos get watered to this much runoff. I leave it right where it is. This puts the bottom inch or so of the roots directly in water in a small pool of the same feed I just gave them. They suck it up as they desire. In the late afternoon it will be gone from all three plants. This not only keeps me from having to do a second feed in the evening, it helps to not waste precious (read: expensive) nutes. It keeps the plants feeding for their whole long day. (20/4) Didn’t cause any issues last time and it’s not this time. I’m sold on it for chem auto growing. They simply use it long before it could sit and potentially cause ph issues or something.

IMG_3047.jpeg

PSA

For you guys using GGT tents (@Gee64 is one I know of) - they last forever. The reality is that your floor liner is likely to get trashed over time. Mine is history in the old 5x5 as you can see. Well guess what? If you go to GGTs site (not the Zon) they sell replacement floor liners in any tent size! Who knew? Lol. I just grabbed one for the 5x5. They’re white instead of the diamond silver coating like originally, but who cares? $45 US for that size. Psych! It’s the only thing keeping the inside of the old girl from looking brand new again.

I mean cool and all but wow. $45 just the liner. I paid $80 my whole 5x5 Mars Hydro tent.

Also - they annoy me the liners. We put in plastic trays instead.

Like this 2x4x2”sized one - here being used for a bit of coco mixing.

IMG_7705.jpeg

Way more durable and easy to vac out with a wet/dry after watering.
Stuff can lurk under those liners here, bugs and all sorts. These are a bit more squared off - less “flappy” I guess?

I mean cool and all but wow. $45 just the liner. I paid $80 my whole 5x5 Mars Hydro tent.

IMG_7705.jpeg

Stuff can lurk under those liners here, bugs and all sorts. These are a bit more squared off - less “flappy” I guess?
I built my own out of wood and lined it with pond liner. One side is 1/4" higher so it has a tiny slope to the front for easier runoff removal with the wet/dry vac. It's inside the GGT liner for double protection of the tent floor.

I built my own out of wood and lined it with pond liner. One side is 1/4" higher so it has a tiny slope to the front for easier runoff removal with the wet/dry vac. It's inside the GGT liner for double protection of the tent floor.
Yeah we keep the liners but more for weight and wear protection. Gotta have something else sturdier. In the seedling tent for Dissertation grow we put some water in one of those trays as the Rh felt a bit low today. Its pooled a bit to one side but its there to bump Rh from low 70’s to mid 80’s so not worried where it is really!

IMG_7702.jpeg

IMG_7705.jpeg

I couldn’t agree with you more @NickHardy ! But here’s reality - try and find a plastic floor liner in the 5x5 size. If you do, PLEASE let me know. I have been searching everywhere. If I had a 4x4, easy. Or any smaller size. But a 5x5 is tough. Here’s the other reality - when you quote the prices you pay for the same shit I get, you almost always pay about a third of what we do in the US. A floor liner like yours in 4x4 size with 2” raise and thick plastic and a central drain hole is well over $100 here. So yeah - all you say is true. It’s a pick your battles sort of thing for me. At $45 I am happy with the compromise, and I think pictures with the white floor will pop.

I love that idea @Gee64, I may have to *yoink!* that off you once I move. At that point the tents will assume more permanent positions and I can do that. Btw - I made my first 5x5 scrog screen from 2x4s. It was perfection. But it was WAY WAY too heavy. I made it right before I joined the forum. One of the first things I saw was someone who had done the exact same thing…WITH PVC. Dumbass. 2x4s. For the floor liner like you do? Yes. For a screen? No. Lmao!

I love that idea @Gee64, I may have to *yoink!* that off you once I move. At that point the tents will assume more permanent positions and I can do that. Btw - I made my first 5x5 scrog screen from 2x4s. It was perfection. But it was WAY WAY too heavy. I made it right before I joined the forum. One of the first things I saw was someone who had done the exact same thing…WITH PVC. Dumbass. 2x4s. For the floor liner like you do? Yes. For a screen? No. Lmao!
I also tossed a slab of old truck bed liner on the bottom of my tray to prevent the milk crates from puncturing the pond liner.

I also tossed a slab of old truck bed liner on the bottom of my tray to prevent the milk crates from puncturing the pond liner.
That’s also a good idea, but I need all my plants on wheels and they need to roll and rotate easily. Isn’t that the raised diamond stuff?

Back
Top Bottom